Fuel Consumption Of Recent Pick-up Models?

Lannig

What would happen to fuel consumption, if you mount a hardtop on the pick-up, - or a mountain-cap - see photo.

I have the idea that mounting any of the two would save fuel, does anyone have experience about that ??

North :o

hardtop.gifmountain_cap.gif

It's difficult to find fuel consumption of Thai cars and trucks - it's entirely up to the manufacturer, or even worse, the marketer, to claim any number they want.

Take Isuzu - it's designed and developed in Japan. Japanese put 17 km/l for their 2.5l engine. On their own testing track they managed to get 23 km/l going in circles. Thai marketers had a rally - a whole caravan of Isuszu tracks travelling from Chiang Mai to Hat Yai on a single tank. That would be about 26 km/l, if you believe that sort of advertising.

What would happen to fuel consumption, if you mount a hardtop on the pick-up, - or a mountain-cap - see photo.

I have the idea that mounting any of the two would save fuel, does anyone have experience about that ??

hardtop.gifmountain_cap.gif

I used to remove the tail gate on long trips when carring nothing in the box, it did make a difference. I guess you'd probably get better airflow with a cap or top.

I just had a brochure from Toyota about the Hilux Vigo, and for the first time I found some official numbers on fuel economy on the Vigo.

I had some of the text translated, and it seems, that the 3.0 D4D diesel has a fuel consumption around 15,6 km / L at 80 km/hour

The 2,5 with intercooler runs 18,3 km / L at 80 km/hour

And the 2,5 turbo without intercooler (I think) runs 21,2 km / L

Finally the 2,7 liter gasoline engine only runs 11,2 km / L

So if fuel consumtion is a main concern when buying a Vigo you should select the 2,5 diesel 102 horsepower engine, but it sure lacks torque compared to the 3 liter.

Vigo_engine_2.jpg

Edited by North

I have the same engine in my Sportrider and I can barely squeeze 11 km/l, if I try very hard. It's heavier than a pickup, though.

Sometimes I feel like saving fuel and try my best. I can travel longer on a full tank, true, but the difference is negligible, maybe it lasts a day longer, that's all.