First reports of new overstay crackdown

$400/year no further BS involved cambodian visa is becoming more and more attractive by the day

Because of that the government are implementing a Ban when overstaying your visa, Cambodia seems like a good idea ???

No Thanks.

Ps: I am paying 1900 THB (and some photocopies which I do for free at home) and for that amount I can stay a whole year legally in Thailand

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

not necessarily so. youve got a bank amount earning minimal interest supporting that 1900THB. IF YOU HAD SIMILAR invested in cambodia you would be earning substantially more possibly even enough to cover the fee difference. cambo doesnt require proof of cash in bank at all.

just a quick glance http://cambodia.deposits.org/

and attached image

post-213556-0-69444100-1404838030_thumb.

Edited by score keeper

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$400/year no further BS involved cambodian visa is becoming more and more attractive by the day

Because of that the government are implementing a Ban when overstaying your visa, Cambodia seems like a good idea ???

No Thanks.

Ps: I am paying 1900 THB (and some photocopies which I do for free at home) and for that amount I can stay a whole year legally in Thailand

not necessarily so. youve got a bank amount earning minimal interest supporting that 1900THB. IF YOU HAD SIMILAR invested in cambodia you would be earning substantially more possibly even enough to cover the fee difference. cambo doesnt require proof of cash in bank at all.

Oke so you want us all to move to Cambodia because of that we have to show money in a bank account here in Thailand. Some people are more then happy to do that duhhhh. And because of some lost interest I am not going to move to Cambodia.

No Thanks.

Oke so you want us all to move to Cambodia because of that we have to show money in a bank account here in Thailand. Some people are more then happy to do that duhhhh. And because of some lost interest I am not going to move to Cambodia.

no but because of the ever exponentially increasing harassment from the immigration department. costs being a secondary concern. i am mentioning far less official on going harassment in cambodia.

• Like 1

So if you overstay more than 10 years, don't turn yourself in - you'll get a harsher penalty than if you just wait to be caught.

But they could have changed the law by then

Maybe then its Life Time Ban and 10 Lashes with the whip :D

Edited by MJCM

So if you overstay more than 10 years, don't turn yourself in - you'll get a harsher penalty than if you just wait to be caught.

Maybe then its Life Time Ban and 10 Lashes with the Wip biggrin.png

Actually that's a good point - not sure if they're applying this to people who started their overstay prior to the new law or not (haven't read the thread), but it shows how naive the old 'just pay 20,000 baht at the airport' advice was.

Actually that's a good point - not sure if they're applying this to people who started their overstay prior to the new law or not (haven't read the thread), but it shows how naive the old 'just pay 20,000 baht at the airport' advice was.

The rules aren't in effect yet (rumor has it, end of the month) so if you are now on overstay clear it asap.

• Like 1

The rules aren't in effect yet (rumor has it, end of the month) so if you are now on overstay clear it asap.

So they're going to apply it to existing overstayers? Ouch! Though if that's the case, not sure why they see the necessity in having new arrivals sign a declaration of understanding.

I don't think new arrivals will have to sign. Only people who are going to Immigration, when applying for an extension of stay (Tourist, Retirement, Marriage, Work, Study, etc) will IMHO have to sign so that they are aware of the new rules.

We live here 5+ months a year (Mukdahan) and find the immigration office to be very helpful to all, even Lao people. They are on facebook, issue updates of new or newly enforced requirements, and do several mobile outreaches to make life easier for many. Kudos! to them.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008198101012&fref=ts

They have posted the regs to their facebook page.

• Like 2

So I should be ok having had a 1 year overstay previously, all done and dusted, turned myself in and paid up, but only now re-entering Thailand for the first time since, but after this comes into effect?

So I should be ok having had a 1 year overstay previously, all done and dusted, turned myself in and paid up, but only now re-entering Thailand for the first time since, but after this comes into effect?

Correct, this will not be a retroactive regulation. As most laws and regulation can't be.

Looking at the document: If I had 10 years overstay and I surrendered myself, I would be barred from entering for life. But if I i got apprehended with 10 years overstay then I would only get a 10 year ban? blink.png

Well spotted! smile.png

I did a recent extension, there was an English couple with a daughter on ED visas and the officer did ask a few questions in Thai abeilt their first report. I think the has come that all concerned really need to evaluate their circumstances. We are all aware of what goes on but now the low level corruption is coming to an end, whether good or bad. I forsee the Elite card being a poular option for those with the means. On a side not, a retiree that for the past 5 years due to XE has still managed to obtain a retirement visa, however this year was refused unless he met the criteria outlined. Immigration really should offer other options.

I don't think new arrivals will have to sign. Only people who are going to Immigration, when applying for an extension of stay (Tourist, Retirement, Marriage, Work, Study, etc) will IMHO have to sign so that they are aware of the new rules.

But why bother having them sign the form, if it's the case that they will also be applying the rules to existing overstayers that haven't signed the form? The obviously don't feel they need a signed form for the rules to be enforceable.

But why bother having them sign the form, if it's the case that they will also be applying the rules to existing overstayers that haven't signed the form? The obviously don't feel they need a signed form for the rules to be enforceable.

Maybe because

a- so the word gets out

b- frightening effect on people who maybe are thinking of overstaying

c- to be legally correct

d- because they love their paperwork

e- don't wanna waste money by sending it to our home addresses by Snail Mail.

f- ..........

thumbsup.gif

Correct, this will not be a retroactive regulation. As most laws and regulation can't be.

I have yet to see anything official confirming this.

Come on hey, so you think that Immigration will go after people who used to be on overstay before ? Not very likely IMHO, however they can expect a couple of extra questions when they arrive at any (Thai) border.

Edited by MJCM

Come on hey, so you think that Immigration will go after people who used to be on overstay before ? Not very likely IMHO, however they can expect a couple of extra questions when they arrive at any border.

Whilst I agree it is unlikely, its not impossible.

For example, lets consider somebody who has been on a year of overstay sometime in the last 3 years, what is going to happen next time they enter Thailand? Under the new system that year of overstay buys them 3 years out of the country.

I would like to think that anyone processed under the old system is clean and clear once they pay the fine, but who knows? We see time and time again immigration laws being interpreted differently depending on the immigration officer we are dealing with at the time.

I guess only time will tell whether its being retroactively applied.

Whilst I agree it is unlikely, its not impossible.

For example, lets consider somebody who has been on a year of overstay sometime in the last 3 years, what is going to happen next time they enter Thailand? Under the new system that year of overstay buys them 3 years out of the country.

I would like to think that anyone processed under the old system is clean and clear once they pay the fine, but who knows? We see time and time again immigration laws being interpreted differently depending on the immigration officer we are dealing with at the time.

I guess only time will tell whether its being retroactively applied.

Actually it's clear that is not retroactive from both the wording and the statements by immigration commanders.

If turns out that it is, you can come here and say we're a bunch of idiots, and I will be the first to agree with you.

• Like 2

I would like to think that you're right. Common sense and equity are on your side. But as has so often been pointed out in so many different discussions, the immigration officers do have ultimate discretion, and I can't see how anyone could categorically exclude the possibility of one of these officers holding your past overstays against you on any given attempt to enter Thailand at any time going forward (or perhaps in the form of a warning, perhaps even a written annotation in your pp, as you go to leave having expected to be able to return sooner rather than later...). They shouldn't, and a reasonable person might assume they won't, and in most cases they most likely will not, but if you happen to get the winning lottery ticket, what real-time recourse would you expect to have??

Just thinking out loud. I don't claim to know anything about all this that anyone else doesn't know. But it's beginning to take on a little of the feel of an anti-foreigner tsunami washing over at least the immigration component of the thai bureaucracy. And it was underway well before the military takeover. It certainly wouldn't be the 1st time a "developing country" found some unity in blaming the white devils for their miseries.

• Like 2

Just thinking out loud. I don't claim to know anything about all this that anyone else doesn't know. But it's beginning to take on a little of the feel of an anti-foreigner tsunami washing over at least the immigration component of the thai bureaucracy. And it was underway well before the military takeover. It certainly wouldn't be the 1st time a "developing country" found some unity in blaming the white devils for their miseries.

Personally, I don't think is that. There is no diffused bad feelings toward the western foreigners, perhaps the middle class that doesn't take direct advantage of them may like to exercise dislike just because it seems "right". The others either have a direct interest, or just don't care at all.

The true weapons of Thai xenophobia and nationalism are rooted elsewhere, in the foreign labor act, in the land ownership act, in all the regulations, business and social practices that a foreigner can't even fully understand, let alone fight, for the reason of language and culture first. All the bricks to the great wall were carefully laid in place many many years ago by thinking heads that secured the bulk of wealth to stay forever in Thai hands, or naturalized Chinese ones.

Now as Thailand has reached full employment and strong growth, and the military at the tops seems to not want to leave a stone unturned, it's a great time for them to do a little housekeeping. I think the main real objectives are self-preservation of Gov't jobs, continued exercise of power, enhanced consensus. Incidentally in the process a number of virtually poor people will get screwed, hardly a surprise in this world.

Edited by paz

Making a mountain out of a mole hill. They have a problem, They want to fix the problem and let everyone know what the new risks are. It doesn't matter if you sign or not, its the law. Yes they love the paper work, but the signing is more of a way to make you thing more about what you are signing.

My guess is after the law is in effect, when caught "this time" a note will go on your record stating "No reentry before XXXX"

We live here 5+ months a year (Mukdahan) and find the immigration office to be very helpful to all, even Lao people. They are on facebook, issue updates of new or newly enforced requirements, and do several mobile outreaches to make life easier for many. Kudos! to them.

Good from them smile.png

but could be better if they could make their pages "public".

Most people don't have a Facebook account

and then can't access these pages... sad.png

Good from them smile.png

but could be better if they could make their pages "public".

Most people don't have a Facebook account

and then can't access these pages... sad.png

Most people do not look at Thai Visa..whistling.gif

Sorry to go off at a slight tangent guys, and apologies if this has all been covered elsewhere, but here is my question.

I have a retirement extension from Chonburi (Jomtien) and currently report my address in Pattaya. I intend to move to Bangkok soon.

Where do I do my 90 day reporting in future? At the office that issued the visa extension or the nearest office to my new address?

I can cope with either situation, but don't want to make a long treck and then get 'bounced'.

All information/advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

You can do your 90 day report at any office BUT you need to advise the "new" Immigration Office of your change of address in a timely manner or they will fine you for failing to do so.

I recommend that you go to the Immigration Dept and check. When I moved from BKK to Samut Prakarn, I was told that I must submit my 90 day form to the Samut Prakarn office. You will probably need to register your new Bangkok address as well.