Broken Internet Sharing... Advice Needed

nephilim

Hi All,

I've had a network up and running at home for a while now (desktop with True ADSL and laptop) and everythings been fine. I recently had to reinstall the ADSL, from the CD True gave me and, for some reason, internet connection sharing no longer works.

Everyother network function is fine, both pcs can see each other no problems. The desktop has the internet connection shared. I'm not sure what else to check, or do.

Can anyone help? The pcs are just normal machines, XP Home, standard 512k True package.

Any tips would be great,

Many thanks

Neph.

Hi All,

I've had a network up and running at home for a while now (desktop with True ADSL and laptop) and everythings been fine. I recently had to reinstall the ADSL, from the CD True gave me and, for some reason, internet connection sharing no longer works.

Everyother network function is fine, both pcs can see each other no problems. The desktop has the internet connection shared. I'm not sure what else to check, or do.

Can anyone help? The pcs are just normal machines, XP Home, standard 512k True package.

Any tips would be great,

Many thanks

Neph.

hi there,

Do you have any message of an ip conflict showing?

if so try this : Start>run(type cmd and enter) > ipconfig/renew

hope that helps,

rcm :o

Some of the installation programs try to enforce restrictions on internet connection sharing. I hadn't seen any lately, and would be surprised if that is the problem, but there is a chance.

Another possibility is that you need to enable DHCP on your PC, since the ISP won't send you two different IP addresses.

Really, I'd go for the easy solution and get yourself a router. Not only does it take chare of sharing the connection, your desktop doesn't need to be on to use the laptop. Most importantly, the router has a built-in hardware firewall that can protect you from a number of viruses and hacking. Not foolproof, but every bit helps.

Thanks all.

To tjo o tjim, I shouldn't have to go any alternative route, as the installation is identical to what it was, prior to this problem. The only difference is the reinstallation of the modem drivers (which is from the 1.5 year old CD I got originally).

To stumonster, it's standard cable / hub combo. ADSL connection is USB modem (Billion Brand). I don't know how my (the desktop) has it's IP assigned, I assume that's by True, it's certainly not static. The laptop uses "Assign IP automatically".

To Crushdepth, yes I use a s/w firewall, but have tested it all with and without it running.

Um just to add, I ran some of the XP wizards and now the laptop cant see any of the network!

From bad to worse.

Sigh.

I really hate network stuff.

Ok, make system restore to get it back as it was before... and try the ipconfig/renew i mentioned earlier(& restart afterwards). i had the same headaches as you and this did the trick.

Hope it works for you too,

rcm :o