Ramkhaheng university - what's your take?

Someone whom I will support wants to enroll there. They are somewhat unique. No entry exam? Open to all who can pay?

Heard they have a good reputation. They are in Bangkok-Huamark.

Cheers!

Very big, but considered degree mill. Open enrollment and only have to pay tuition, not actually study (Thats the reputation at least). Well known because of the size, but not considered a real "think tank".

My sister in law went to Ramkhamhaeng and now works in NZ. Must be ok.

I live close to that University. It is not good.

Finding job as a foreigner in a western country often involves luck or connections more than education.

Must have been luck. Or her sensational set of norks

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with Ramkhamheng. I know a number of motivated, bright young people who went to that school because they came from poor, unconnected families. They have gone on to have great careers and one just finished his Master's Degree from a major US university.

I will move this to the Higher education section.

I am studying a BA in Thailand atm and from what I have heard from my Thai friends is that many people dont graduate because the lectures aren't compulsory to attend. They say many people dont go, fall behind and drop out. But this is what separates those students from the more determined ones.

Its probably the less stressful option for part time or online study for those that work as well and would be worries about loosing participation/attendance marks from the other unis...

Im also tossing it up but I really like Mahidol and ABAC, which is mostly for their reputation and gaining contacts. My worry is turning up to a empty class at Ram, but then again it could benefit you, aa it would be more of a private class.

From what I've gathered from the Thai people I know, Ramkhamhaeng University has quite a good reputation within Thailand. Outside of Thailand, I don't remember seeing it on any of the international rankings, but I'm not sure.

From what I've gathered from the Thai people I know, Ramkhamhaeng University has quite a good reputation within Thailand. Outside of Thailand, I don't remember seeing it on any of the international rankings, but I'm not sure.

My wife is a graduate of Ramkhamhaeng. It did take her 7 years too do a 4 year degree but as she was working full time as a hospital assistant it is in my view an outstanding achievement. From what I understand most start thinking it is a case of just pay and wear a uniform and you will get a degree. Most of these are gone by the end of the first year. They have less contact time than other universities which means that they must work independently to learn their work not do all their exercises in class. Towards the end it is a real hard grind as the work is harder and you still have the commitments of your outside work.

Many Thai people in business recognise this and actually rate a Ramkiamhaeng student as one of the best to employ.

If you are supporting someone to do it make sure they are actually working and that it is not just an excuse not to.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It has a terrible reputation.

It's a very big university and it's not elitist. Silly to generalise.

I worked there once.

Ask an employer if they would ever take a graduate in law(for example) from Ram, Chula or Thammasat?

I worked there once.

Ask an employer if they would ever take a graduate in law(for example) from Ram, Chula or Thammasat?

I don't doubt you. Many, if not most, Thai employers are elitist. A bit like favouring Oxford & Cambridge or Havard & Yale. Chula and Thammasat are private, expensive universities, while Ram is 'public'. That doesn't mean it has a "terrible" reputation for all its graduates.

• Like 1

Lets be honest, no Thai Universities rank highly on an international scale. Anybody with money will go abroad. As far as Thai Universities go Ramkamheng is pretty near the bottom of the pile.

Lets be honest, no Thai Universities rank highly on an international scale. Anybody with money will go abroad. As far as Thai Universities go Ramkamheng is pretty near the bottom of the pile.

Depends what you class as 'highly'. Chiang Mai is 280th in the World. However, that places it above the majority of UK Universities. I didn't check the American ones, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the same result.

Ram is officially ranked 1268 in the world. Sound low, right? Well, it's not great but there are over 20,000 accredited unis in the world. Did you know Ram was placed above British Unis like Coventry, Kingston, Lincoln, Westminster, Liverpool John Moore, South Bank, London Metropolitan and The University Of Central Lancashire? It's also above Malmo University in Sweden which has a decent rep in Scandinavia. Don't want to typecast the Swedes, but that Uni has a Dept of Sexual Studieslaugh.png

As for being 'near the bottom of the pile as far as Thai Unis go' Ram is in 17th place out of 118 Thai Unis. While 17th in Thailand may not be amazing, it's certainly not bottom of the pile. Here.

http://www.4icu.org/th/