Vendors begin to move off Phuket's Patong Beach

webfact

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A stupid move by the government. The tourist should be able to relax and have food delivered, get a massage on the beach, have chairs and umbrellas available for use. But it should be regulated. Rent should be charge for use. number of sellers reduced and the price of chairs and umbrellas set so tourist are not overcharged.

You mean just like back home at Western beaches?

Why should it be allowed here? For the tourist experience?

It will be near impossible to regulate. The Generals have done the absolutely correct thing and if you don't like it, sorry. Toss them all off the beach.

Buddha Bless the Generals.

More at: <removed>

So if Thais cannot govern themselves to regulate something as simple as beach chair concessions then really, isn't that having just about the worse opinion possible for a culture? ( which I agree with completely )

Can't even follow a few simple rules? Is that civilized?

So whats going to happen when I arrive down to the beach with 5 sun lounges & 3 umbrellas to use for my 2 5yr old daughters, my wife my 93yr old mother & myself?

We like to spend all day on the beach but we like to lay out of the sand under an umbrella will we be deprived of this?

The beach chair/umbrella hire service had been a "unique" part of Phuket Beach life and getting drinks and fresh fruit brought to you was a treat it was also nice to get a massage on the odd occasion thats one of the many reasons we come to a place like this because it's different.

I understand some vendors took advantage of the situation and certainly something had to be done about it no argument about that but I do think the lounges/umbrellas need to be replaced in the high season in a more controlled way. The tourist obviously liked them judging by the scant availability of unoccupied sets during the high season .. we certainly did.

A lot of people here are also blaming the vendors being greedy etc but if you were given the opportunity to set up a business on the beach by the authorities would you not take up this opportunity? I bet some of you would.

No the people to blame for this is the greedy authorities who allowed it to happen in the first place not the locals they were just supplying a much wanted service under the guise of being permitted to do so.

This is absolutely correct. All you people who complain about the "greedy" "lawless" locals who work on the beach: Do you actually go to the beach? Do you know these people? I am on the beach 150 days or more a year. I am honored to know these these folks who treat me well.

I thnk a bit of the divide here is some beaches were inundated, but others were just right. ( IMO of course) While Patong may have have the types who assaulted towel sitters as in the video , Bang Tao was certainly not like that, and to apply the same harsh, baby out with bathwater penalties to all the beaches will prove to be a mistake. ( IMO of course)

It's just posted on the video forum and is stated from Koh Larn near Pattaya. Yes deplorable behavior, and yes probably happened more than once on Patong and every other beach where vendors were not regulated. Deplorable just like Jet skis operators who remain in business despite serious allegation of fraud and assault.