What questions will my wife be asked when applying for an Extension based on marriage?

It's coming to the the last few weeks of my current visa and I'm nervously trying to prepare all the paper work to apply for the Extension based on marriage. (I've been told I can do this at mea sai)

I've also been told my wife will be asked question.....Anybody know what kind of questions? Are they interrogating??

It is certainly not an interrogation. There are no trick questions.

It will just be some basic questions needed to fill out a statement..

Where do you live, your parents names, where you met,and etc.

• Like 1

It is certainly not an interrogation. There are no trick questions.

It will just be some basic questions needed to fill out a statement..

Where do you live, your parents names, where you met,and etc.

That's good then. I read in another post today that she should 'prepare' for the questions. Hopefully, it's straight forward.

She should know your parents first names, where they live, how many brothers and sisters you have, etc.

Some creeps might ask questions like: you're not married just for fake, are you or how much does he pay you to come here?

2 opposite answers.......I hope eeworldwide is right. smile.png

When in doubt, always go with ubonjoe. And as it always is, his advice just above is correct. He is NEVER incorrect. I am not kidding.

Immigration people want to ensure you are married and living together, i.e. that you have not rented a spouse in order to get a visa. They will ask her the questions, and she already knows the HONEST answers to the questions. Do not prepare or rehearse. They may also come to your house to see if there are two toothbrushes in the bathroom, clothes for both in the closets, etc. They are, just as ubonjoe says, not trying to trick you.

• Like 2

2 opposite answers.......I hope eeworldwide is right. smile.png

When in doubt, always go with ubonjoe. And as it always is, his advice just above is correct. He is NEVER incorrect. I am not kidding.

Immigration people want to ensure you are married and living together, i.e. that you have not rented a spouse in order to get a visa. They will ask her the questions, and she already knows the HONEST answers to the questions. Do not prepare or rehearse. They may also come to your house to see if there are two toothbrushes in the bathroom, clothes for both in the closets, etc. They are, just as ubonjoe says, not trying to trick you.

Thanks. Good answer, the only minor problem is we are just moving into this new house right on top of the visa application. It's all legit. I'm just nervous, or maybe paranoid.

Several years ago, one of the questions on their list was 'Did you have sex the night before?'. But i've never heard of anyone being asked that one; i guess the officer is too embarassed to ask.

They now ask questions to complete a statement that is the same at all offices.

There is no list and the statement does not have that question.

Several years ago, one of the questions on their list was 'Did you have sex the night before?'. But i've never heard of anyone being asked that one; i guess the officer is too embarassed to ask.

I'm not gonna take the chance... Pre immigration office naughtiness from now on :)

• Like 1

Are you deported if you didn't ??

Don't know, but if you get the wife to say you did 10 times, you get an honorary elite card.

• Like 1

I'm not gonna take the chance... Pre immigration office naughtiness from now on smile.png

I'll go with that! rolleyes.gif

I have been having visa extensions for marriage for years and years and years. We have been married for 11 years. My wife fills in all the paperwork - which is extensive. If you have official and original documentations, then I'm not sure why they would ask you ANY questions about your life together etc. It may be that the judge on appearances, I don't know. I have never in my life heard of any immigration official coming to the home of someone applying for a visa extension. It's usually done in 1 hour max, You go in - hand over the paperwork. They check to see that your housebook is in order, all the documentation is correct - originals submitted where asked for, and then they take your picture and then they hand it to someone else behind the desk, and you go back and sit down. You are then called, handed your passport, with your visa stamp and go on your merry way. I have never been asked a single question, and neither has my wife.

We do have 3 children ( and another one on the way) and we are obviously married. How long have you been married for? I honestly can say, as someone having gone through this process dozens of times, it's never once crossed my mind to be concerned. And in light of my own and valid experience, I don't think you should be concerned either, unless there is something that gives you cause for concern - ie - you aren't really married........

I have been having visa extensions for marriage for years and years and years. We have been married for 11 years. My wife fills in all the paperwork - which is extensive. If you have official and original documentations, then I'm not sure why they would ask you ANY questions about your life together etc. It may be that the judge on appearances, I don't know. I have never in my life heard of any immigration official coming to the home of someone applying for a visa extension. It's usually done in 1 hour max, You go in - hand over the paperwork. They check to see that your housebook is in order, all the documentation is correct - originals submitted where asked for, and then they take your picture and then they hand it to someone else behind the desk, and you go back and sit down. You are then called, handed your passport, with your visa stamp and go on your merry way. I have never been asked a single question, and neither has my wife.

We do have 3 children ( and another one on the way) and we are obviously married. How long have you been married for? I honestly can say, as someone having gone through this process dozens of times, it's never once crossed my mind to be concerned. And in light of my own and valid experience, I don't think you should be concerned either, unless there is something that gives you cause for concern - ie - you aren't really married........

When we went for an extension based on marriage 4 months ago in Khon Kean , it al was very easy. Finished in 30 minutes. And then we must wait for 1 month to take the passport . But I think you make a mistake.

Extension based on marriage will be send to Bangkok. After 1 month you go back to the immigration office to take it.

Dontejo.

When we went for an extension based on marriage 4 months ago in Khon Kean , it al was very easy. Finished in 30 minutes. And then we must wait for 1 month to take the passport . But I think you make a mistake.

Extension based on marriage will be send to Bangkok. After 1 month you go back to the immigration office to take it.

Dontejo.

My guess he is on retirement but thinks that is on a marriage extension (because he is married ;))

@eeww

How much money do you have to keep in a bank account if 800k then you are on retirement and 400k is for marriage.

Another give away is for example if you have to submit pictures of you and your wife together in front of your house.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Got the pictures and all the paper work and the 400k plus in the bank. I thought it was mandatory (at least the first time) that immigration come to the house during the consideration period?.

I was on my 3rd extension and never seen them, my friend is now on his 1st and also hasn't seen them (yet), but they could call and wanna make an appointment

• Like 1

Got the pictures and all the paper work and the 400k plus in the bank. I thought it was mandatory (at least the first time) that immigration come to the house during the consideration period?.

I was on my 3rd extension and never seen them, my friend is now on his 1st and also hasn't seen them (yet), but they could call and wanna make an appointment

That's good then. According to my wife, they show up during the first week of consideration. I can't see that being the case personally, but even if they do, all is good and they are welcome for a Chang or two.

You say in your post you can do at Mea Sai? If this is Mai Sai north of Chiang Rai and you live closer to Chiang Rai there is now an Immigration office open Monday to Friday in Chiang Rai

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

You say in your post you can do at Mea Sai? If this is Mai Sai north of Chiang Rai and you live closer to Chiang Rai there is now an Immigration office open Monday to Friday in Chiang Rai

I am living near mai sai. But I'm on an ED visa. I think it's ok to convert, but not 100% sure.

I am the same too, they can come and look as we have nothing to hide and are living together, but I think there so many people getting extensions that it is impossible for them to visit them all.

the 1st time applying is a bit hard (you have to supply a witness) but afterwards its routine if your paperwork is in order. The reason why I am not doing it is because the 1 month "under consideration" period "srewcs" with our Holiday booking as I made a mistake of applying the 1st time in Summer and that expiry date you cant change.

• Like 1

I am the same too, they can come and look as we have nothing to hide and are living together, but I think there so many people getting extensions that it is impossible for them to visit them all.

the 1st time applying is a bit hard (you have to supply a witness) but afterwards its routine if your paperwork is in order. The reason why I am not doing it is because the 1 month "under consideration" period "srewcs" with our Holiday booking as I made a mistake of applying the 1st time in Summer and that expiry date you cant change.

Can you tell me more about the witness requirements please? Who can that be and what will they need to do?

I think the requirement is that they are independent (so not related). They have to bring their Tabien Baan and Id Card and have to just answer some questions like:

- how do you know them

- are they living together ?

So just general questions, as immigration wants to know if you are really living together.

I think the requirement is that they are independent (so not related). They have to bring their Tabien Baan and Id Card and have to just answer some questions like:

- how do you know them

- are they living together ?

So just general questions, as immigration wants to know if you are really living together.

Thanks for the info......I didn't know about the witness..... Everyday a new requirement .......However, easily arranged now I know.

It could be that its is not required in your local immigration better check, but better come prepared and bring more paperwork with you then needed.

It's a btchi if you get send back home because of some paperwork missing. ;)