Visiting Phuket - advice requested on transport and snorkeling

hereami

Hi folks,

We live in Laos and will be heading to Phuket next month for a short holiday. We've been to other parts of Thailand many times so are familiar with driving "rules" and all that good stuff. I do have 2 questions for those of you who live in Phuket or have experience there:

1) Is it better to rent a car (I'll be traveling with my wife and 3 kids) than to rely on taxis? I've heard enough stories on TV about the taxi scams in Phuket that I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper to just rent my own car. We'll be near Karon beach and would probably go into Phuket town once or twice plus maybe visit a couple other beaches.

2) Are there any decent snorkeling options during August? (I know it's the worst time of the year for it.) As my kids are young (ages 6-12), I'm looking for something relatively accessible and safe.

I know there are lots of variables that make it hard to give advice, nevertheless I've noticed TV members are usually happy to weigh in even with little information. :) I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I would recommend to rent your own car. That will give you much more flexibility and not dependent on public transport, especially with 3 kids.

Yes, there are some nice snorkeling trips possible. There are short 1/2 day trips, more relaxining on a beach with swimming than snorkeling, you can go to Phi Phi to do visit a few different islands with snorkeling in between or you can visit the Racha Islands, the best place for snorkeling with clear water, islands for shelter/protection from wind/currents, and a gently sloping reef with plenty of marine life. I personally would prefer Racha Noi since there will be no other boats in that area, but also Racha Yai is a very nice snorkeling destination.

Yes DEFINETLY rent a car , so at least you can get from the airport direct to your hotel....

Karon beach is lovely , but as you know August is not the safest of months for swimming, but a stroll along the lengthy beach with the kids will be great..

All the best and enjoy, Phuket for me is beautiful..

Rent a car near the airport. I used David Car rental many years ago before I moved here, they are still around. There is also Avis and other international car rental companies. Karon is arguably the most dangerous beach on Phuket at this time of the year due to rip currents. It is currently very windy and the ocean is in a dangerous state right now. All boats are advised not to go out. You may be lucky and get a few days of decent weather for your trip. You just never know what the weather will be like around here at this time of the year. Best wishes and enjoy your trip!

Edited by Jimi007

Firstly, yes, rent a car. Secondly for the snorkling that you are thinking of, I would discount both Phi Phi and both Racha's (Yai and Noi). They are quite some distance from Phuket, and currently squalls get up very quickly. I would suggest Coral Island, only 10 to 15 minutes from either Chalong Pier/Rawai beach/Cape Panwa (near the Aquarium). Safe, roped off area for snorkling, a couple of restaurants on the beach, gear for hire etc. Not world class by any means, but reasonably clear water year round, and plenty of brightly coloured fish.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention, I recommend using www.windguru.com (filter to Thailand/Phuket/Chalong Bay) for decent sea state/wind/rain forecasts. Usually very accurate for the immediate 24/48/72 hours.

Naw, don't go to Coral Island.

As divers we only go there if we have to because the weather is too rough to reach other sites. It is commonly called Coralless Island for 2 reasons: 1. there are no corals at all to be found; and 2. visibility is normally not much more than the hand in front of your eyes, so even if there were any corals you'd not see them.

Naw, don't go to Coral Island.

As divers we only go there if we have to because the weather is too rough to reach other sites. It is commonly called Coralless Island for 2 reasons: 1. there are no corals at all to be found; and 2. visibility is normally not much more than the hand in front of your eyes, so even if there were any corals you'd not see them.

Think you need to read the original post, and the ages of the children. Particularly with kids that young, adrenilin rushes of 2-3 metre seas and currently inevitable squalls in a boat to get to a location 45 minutes to an hour or so away isn't going to give them memorable experiences. Priority is safety in the sea, and anywhere on the west coast (and Racha) at this time of year is a gamble.

For my own preference, but you need to have your own boat (I do) or charter, is the east side of Mai Thon, excellent coral and little used by anyone.

Here's a link to Wind Guru:

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=208470

• Like 2

No, not a gamble, if it is not safe the boats will not go out. In 3 meter seas no diveboat will go out. I do recommend to take a diveboat this time of year over the faster but less stable speedboats.

Regarding comfort, if not too big a wind, Racha Islands will be very comfortable, both on the way over (1,5 hours by the way) and there. If there is a strong wind the way over may not be very comfortable, once at the islands there is shelter and the boat can moor in calm waters.

So yes, do pick a calm day, see the link to Windguru for the most reliable weather forecast.

No, not a gamble, if it is not safe the boats will not go out. In 3 meter seas no diveboat will go out. I do recommend to take a diveboat this time of year over the faster but less stable speedboats.

Regarding comfort, if not too big a wind, Racha Islands will be very comfortable, both on the way over (1,5 hours by the way) and there. If there is a strong wind the way over may not be very comfortable, once at the islands there is shelter and the boat can moor in calm waters.

So yes, do pick a calm day, see the link to Windguru for the most reliable weather forecast.

Properly managed dive boats might not go out in adverse weather, but as we see (and read of) 'incidents' involving boats/snorkellers all too often happen, and any other boat service will inevitably choose baht over safety.

On a good day (1 metre or less seas, little wind), you could be at Coral Island from the departure points that I've mentioned in 15/20 minutes, in a hired 'longtail', which stays with you until you're ready to return.

Again, if you're staying in a resort, use the on site swimming pool (assuming that there is one) for the kids to practice/refresh their familiarity of snorkelling (clearing mask/tube of water etc), so they have more confidence once in the sea. Make sure you use lifevests when snorkelling, even though they inhibit getting 'depth'.

We'll disagree on this.

But a statement like this 'any other boat service will inevitably choose baht over safety' is simply not true. Some will, some won't.

You're in the marine industry, and have full awareness of the poor practices of some (agreed not all) boat operators. Unfortunately, the average tourist seeking a pleasant day out at sea, has neither the awareness or experience of the pitfalls. Most have (sometimes misplaced) faith in the vessel operator/guide in what is safe or not.

Thanks for the advice. Racha sounds like it would indeed be memorable, just maybe not for the right reasons considering how young my kids are right now. I'll keep it in mind for the future though. Our budget is tight so chartering a boat isn't on the cards either, unfortunately. Maybe we'll give Coral(less) island a shot - gotta be better than nothing, right?

Forgot to mention, I recommend using www.windguru.com (filter to Thailand/Phuket/Chalong Bay) for decent sea state/wind/rain forecasts. Usually very accurate for the immediate 24/48/72 hours.

I like this site that includes Wind Guru, radar and satellite images: http://panphuket.com/weather

Irony of this story, the Captain of what is (was?) a reasonably large vessel that sank in rough seas on the way to Phi Phi, was rescued by a speedboat........in the same rough seas.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Speedboat-rescues-Phuket-captain-found-floating-sea/31151#ad-image-0

Couldn't resist posting that, sorry..............xsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.HIAcli9fRM.png

Irony of this story, the Captain of what is (was?) a reasonably large vessel that sank in rough seas on the way to Phi Phi, was rescued by a speedboat........in the same rough seas.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Speedboat-rescues-Phuket-captain-found-floating-sea/31151#ad-image-0

Couldn't resist posting that, sorry..............xsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.HIAcli9fRM.png

Says a lot about quality of either boat or captain.

It also says a lot about the quality of corruption on Phuket. biggrin.png

No idea about rules and regulations for these cargo vessels, but apparently you do.

I think once again, I miss any point you're trying to make. The boat was a ferry for construction materials, not passengers. He seemed to be the only crew onboard. He risked his life and cargo in a most likely overloaded boat in rough seas. How is that corruption? It's just plain old stupid...

I think once again, I miss any point you're trying to make. The boat was a ferry for construction materials, not passengers. He seemed to be the only crew onboard. He risked his life and cargo in a most likely overloaded boat in rough seas. How is that corruption? It's just plain old stupid...

An unseaworthy, and most probably overloaded boat, being controlled by a Captain who pays no attention to the weather and sea conditions - why, because the owner/company can, due to paying bribes, thus keeping the boat in operation.

Of course, it simply could be an "insurance job" - which is also a crime.

It's just plain old rocket science. biggrin.png

An unseaworthy, and most probably overloaded boat, being controlled by a Captain who pays no attention to the weather and sea conditions - why, because the owner/company can, due to paying bribes, thus keeping the boat in operation.

Of course, it simply could be an "insurance job" - which is also a crime.

It's just plain old rocket science. biggrin.png

Again, please let us know the rules and regulations here, so we can all see who they were paying bribes to and why.

@ stevenl

The forum would light up if it was a tourist boat, as we all know the "Says a lot about quality of either boat or captain" in the tourism industry operating on Phuket, due to corruption. These were your words, not mine.

Otherwise, why would you mention the questionable "quality" of the boat and captain????

Corruption also exists for other vessels, not just passenger vessels.

Just look at them - they are not up to scratch.

Then, you have the "quality" of the captain, who says, in his own words, "The sea was very rough. Big waves washed a lot of water onto the boat. It became unbalanced, and started to sink.” If this was the case - why go out? Most likely paid for is licence - corruption.

Of course, it could all be an unfortunate accident, inj which case, you should not be questioning the "quality of either boat or captain." biggrin.png

Edited by LivinginKata
quoted words corrected

I talked about he quality of boat and captain in this incident, and you feel the need to start talking about the tourism industry? No connection at all between the 2. Why you feel the need to connect them is beyond belief.

Again my question, what rules and regulations did this captain pay off? Did he take more passengers than he is allowed to do? Did he not have enough life vests for the passengers?

Edited by stevenl

Without doubt it was a poor juxgement call on the part of the construction material vessel captain (passages south and east of Phuket this time of year can and do turn into high risk scenarios). A vessel heavily loaded, be it a speedboat (or diveboat - remember the diveboat that went down with loss of lives near the Similans not that long ago) or heavy materials, loses the ability to 'ride' heavy seas through lessening of design buoyancy.

Getting back to my post however, it was the presence of a speedboat in the same waters and conditions (grateful though I'm sure the Captain was for it's presence.

I talked about he quality of boat and captain in this incident, and you feel the need to start talking about the tourism industry? No connection at all between the 2. Why you feel the need to connect them is beyond belief.

Again my question, what rules and regulations did this captain pay off? Did he take more passengers than he is allowed to do? Did he not have enough life vests for the passengers?

Overloaded, and went out in sea conditions that he obviously should not have.

An accident like this shouldn't happen, if regulations are adhered to, and the captain in competent.

I could google for some Thai shipping regulations, and post a link, but what's the point? I think most on this forum know the REAL reasons behind this "accident."

If, as you say, there is no connection with the corruption in the tourism boats, and the merchant boats - why did you question the "Says a lot about the quality of either boat or captain?"

Edited by LivinginKata
quote corrected - again !!

What corruption in tourism boats, you're putting words in my mouth that were never there.

But glad to see you're saying it probably was simply incompetence.

And that is my final word to you here.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1