Visiting Phuket - advice requested on transport and snorkeling

hereami

Says a lot about quality of either boat or captain.

It also says a lot about the quality of corruption on Phuket. biggrin.png

I think once again, I miss any point you're trying to make. The boat was a ferry for construction materials, not passengers. He seemed to be the only crew onboard. He risked his life and cargo in a most likely overloaded boat in rough seas. How is that corruption? It's just plain old stupid...

An unseaworthy, and most probably overloaded boat, being controlled by a Captain who pays no attention to the weather and sea conditions - why, because the owner/company can, due to paying bribes, thus keeping the boat in operation.

Of course, it simply could be an "insurance job" - which is also a crime.

It's just plain old rocket science. biggrin.png

Do you really think that boat and load was insured for more than the 10 M ฿? That was the stated worth of the cargo in an article I read. There are no regulations about when a captain can put to sea at this point, but that rule is being reviewed.

What corruption in tourism boats, you're putting words in my mouth that were never there.

But glad to see you're saying it probably was simply incompetence.

And that is my final word to you here.

These were your exact words, "Says a lot about the quality of either boat or captain?"

Have I misunderstood, or you have not only questioned the competence of the captain, but the seaworthiness of the boat, with that post????

Using the word, "either" - It read to me like you questioned both.

I merely pointed out that corruption has allowed both to operate, as an accident like this should not happen.

Are you seriously suggesting there is no corruption involved in certifying the seaworthiness of many of the tourist boats, and the licencing of the captains, on Phuket?

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Jimi007

Who knows about insurance? Just something I considered when I read the link.

Maybe the "cargo" was overstated and/or over insured. Maybe it's not about the boat's worth, but the cargo. Like I said, just something I considered, other than corruption allowing a probably unseaworthy boat and incompetent captain to operate.

I also thought it strange the boat set out with just one onboard and no deckhand.