Selling motorbike to shop - won't buy from foreigner

Firstly let me state that I held on to my dignity and just walked away. At the time I have to admit that I was looking for a way out as I found their answers to all my questions about my intended purchase (I was looking for part trade-part cash) a little evasive. They didn't really want me to inspect the bike and it took me a while to get them to bring it out front so I could get down on the floor and check everything out.

Anyway, cut to the chase. When I presented my green book the man I was talking to took it out the back to his boss and came back saying that he would only buy the bike from a Thai national, not a foreign name.

Is there some good reason for this that I should be aware of or was I just plain right and this shop were just d**ks?

Thanks Robblok. They didn't even ask. I have my proof of address from the embassy and can assume that, if this was to be a trade, they would still need this document for me to buy! Anyway, thanks for that feedback.

No extra documentation is needed for foreigners to sell a bike.

Just show your middle finger for waste of time and leave.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You must have been there! ;)

I thought the certificate of residence was needed.. i know its for a buy needed.. and sometimes asked for a sale too.

I can be mistaken of course. I am not sure Thais need such things.

• Like 1

I thought the certificate of residence was needed.. i know its for a buy needed.. and sometimes asked for a sale too.

Either way I have that and would definitely need it to purchase. They never even asked. So far I'm feeling justified in leaving promptly mid-conversation whilst making a big deal about pocketing my money in front of them. I'll find a good deal out there for my target bike/price and the person selling it will seem genuinely pleased to be doing the business. After all I want to know my money is appreciated and respected.

Could it be because the shop wasn't going to transfer the book to their name but wait for a new buyer? If it takes a while to find a new buyer, your certificate could have expired by then making it harder/impossible to sell the bike without looking for you to provide them with new papers?

• Like 2

Either way I have that and would definitely need it to purchase. They never even asked. So far I'm feeling justified in leaving promptly mid-conversation whilst making a big deal about pocketing my money in front of them. I'll find a good deal out there for my target bike/price and the person selling it will seem genuinely pleased to be doing the business. After all I want to know my money is appreciated and respected.

I agree 100% if your spending money they better give some service.

i sold my cbr250 to a friend and they dont ask anything apart from copies of your passport, no work permit or cert. of residence is needed. also the same while selling my bike to bigwing.

but buyer if farang, needs to present either work permit or cert of residence.

if you are selling a bike, make sure that the your name is changed in the greenbook with the buyer's at DMT. Easy to check really. This will save you from any future headache for a hit and run or if they sell drugs on your bike etc!

• Like 1

Probably just a false impression that buying from a foreigner is more complicated. I sold a bike recently with no extra documentation needed - and the (Thai) buyer was looking for a foreigner owned bike as apparently we don't ride our bikes much but we maintain them well. He was (unfortunately) right on both counts.

• Like 1

As many know it can be hard to give money to some Thais; they can't be hassled with English.

I tried to get a small discount at Yamaha Rama 9 near Ratchada and the guy wouldn't budge.

So I went to Lat Pla Kao and got the price I wanted.

Turns out the guy I bought from was the father of the first dealer.

• Like 1

Never say “I will pay cash”, as that is something many dealers not want to hear. A car or motorcycle dealer makes a good amount of money (commission) on selling you financing...

As illogical as it sounds, you're correct, but thankfully it's not the rule all dealers follow. I have seen quite a few reports on TV confirming what you're saying, but there are also a lot of people who bought vehicles and paid cash for them, me including.

If a dealer starts bitching about me paying cash, next time I buy, I will simply take my money elsewhere.

Sent from one of my mobiles, whatever mobile it is.

Could it be because the shop wasn't going to transfer the book to their name but wait for a new buyer? If it takes a while to find a new buyer, your certificate could have expired by then making it harder/impossible to sell the bike without looking for you to provide them with new papers?

A good suggestion. This might be something to do with it.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get a shop to allow me a test ride?

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A good suggestion. This might be something to do with it.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get a shop to allow me a test ride?

If it's just a scooter, almost no chance.

Kawasaki and Honda will let you test ride for their bigger bikes.

I was allowed to test ride the small scooters at Yamaha Square Phononyothin but sadly they are gone now.

The Vespa dealer on Rama 4 will let you test the bikes too.

I think if you showed up with cash and passport and let them hold onto it then maybe they will let you ride one.

What bike do you want?

Maybe you can rent one or someone here will let you test their bike.

Every dealer is clearly different so its hit or miss.

Edited by ttakata

I was allowed to test ride the small scooters at Yamaha Square Phononyothin but sadly they are gone now.

The Vespa dealer on Rama 4 will let you test the bikes too.

I think if you showed up with cash and passport and let them hold onto it then maybe they will let you ride one.

What bike do you want?

Maybe you can rent one or someone here will let you test their bike.

Every dealer is clearly different so its hit or miss.

I'm only looking at a 2nd hand Sonic or Raider. I only ride in BKK so I don't want a new bike or anything big. The passport+money thing is what I was expecting but I just have to believe they weren't interested in my money!

It might be because the dealers don't usually transfer directly into their name upon purchase. When I bought a second hand bike, the paperwork was from the previous owner. They probably do it to avoid paying the transfer tax when it's going to another buyer anyways.

I think you would have better luck listing it on Thaivisa's classifieds. They are very effective and Westerners would prefer to buy bikes owned by other Westerners anyways. You'd probably get more money for it.

Good luck

• Like 1

It might be because the dealers don't usually transfer directly into their name upon purchase. When I bought a second hand bike, the paperwork was from the previous owner. They probably do it to avoid paying the transfer tax when it's going to another buyer anyways.

I think you would have better luck listing it on Thaivisa's classifieds. They are very effective and Westerners would prefer to buy bikes owned by other Westerners anyways. You'd probably get more money for it.

Good luck

Hey Submaniac. Good to see you...you been in hiding? Anyway, I doubt I could sell it on TV as I am probably pushing it for B5,000 for a trade! This bike has been FIRMLY BANGKOKED!

Hey Draftvader, yeah hiding...taking care of a few things so off of TV for a bit. Hope you and the missus and the little one are doing good.

But seriously, how bad is it that you can't get 5k baht for it on TV? They're a bunch of people who go on the classifieds just to buy temporary transport while visiting. 5k you shouldn't have problems. What kind of bike is it? Pics? Now you've got me curious.

Hey Draftvader, yeah hiding...taking care of a few things so off of TV for a bit. Hope you and the missus and the little one are doing good.

But seriously, how bad is it that you can't get 5k baht for it on TV? They're a bunch of people who go on the classifieds just to buy temporary transport while visiting. 5k you shouldn't have problems. What kind of bike is it? Pics? Now you've got me curious.

Yeah, we're doing good. The little one gets bigger and, luckily, the wife gets smaller ;)

How bad....hmmmm....

post-68756-0-48517900-1404970053_thumb.j

OK. On first glance it looks good. 9 year old Suzuki Best 125. The engine is solid...total Suzuki. It handles really well too. Luckily for me gaffer tape comes in yellow.

post-68756-0-74658000-1404970116_thumb.j

So, the speedo doesn't work. The Odometer is "sticky" and the fuel gauge is "temperamental". Last week the low-beam stopped working too. Indicators works....which is nice.

post-68756-0-94500600-1404970175_thumb.j

and luckily electrical tape is black.

If everything worked and the body wasn't held together with tape I could see B10k+ but it needs maintenance (chain, brake pads, oil change, etc). The tyres are in good nick though.

So, there you go. B5,000 is fair as somebody will need to do the work. What do you think?