premium diesel

5 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Don't put a post it that tells me nothing CR what is it then. I do know it's lower that the old 3lt one. If it's nothing to do with RPM got to be fuel??? Sorry I don't think so.

Over to Toyo head office Tec: peeps when I have time to see what they say.

CR is short for compression ratio, 3lt l think is 17+, 2.8 is l think 15+to one..

Colour of oil is down to what is left behind after an oil change. Using a flushing oil before putting in the new oil cleans out most of the crap so your new stuff will remain cleaner a bit longer..

Your ride has a very low first gear so perhaps it may rev a tad higher than previous rides but l doubt that as the trans computer will shift it at the same RPM...Very quickly..

20 minutes ago, transam said:

CR is short for compression ratio, 3lt l think is 17+, 2.8 is l think 15+to one..

Colour of oil is down to what is left behind after an oil change. Using a flushing oil before putting in the new oil cleans out most of the crap so your new stuff will remain cleaner a bit longer..

Your ride has a very low first gear so perhaps it may rev a tad higher than previous rides but l doubt that as the trans computer will shift it at the same RPM...Very quickly..

Whatever it "Clean oil" turns out to be who knows. Some have suggested it's because it's a new engine. But both my old 3lt lumps (2) were black at 1.000km from new like glue at 5th. So has to be some reason why this one isn't.

Regards speed it is faster than the last 2 as well. If you stick your foot down the revs will go up to 2th and then it catches up at quite an alarming pace changing up as and when.

N/B I only ever creep away from light same as the old Spivo. It ain't a sports car it's a comfortable large tank.

With clean oil.

Edited by fredob43

44 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Whatever it "Clean oil" turns out to be who knows. Some have suggested it's because it's a new engine. But both my old 3lt lumps (2) were black at 1.000km from new like glue at 5th. So has to be some reason why this one isn't.

Regards speed it is faster than the last 2 as well. If you stick your foot down the revs will go up to 2th and then it catches up at quite an alarming pace changing up as and when.

N/B I only ever creep away from light same as the old Spivo. It ain't a sports car it's a comfortable large tank.

With clean oil.

Just been to do the school run and took notice of the engine revs and the likes.

I still think its got something to do with low revs and the fact that it doesn't clunk from cold why the oil is clear. 

The clunking form of piston slap must let soot into the oil as well???

As regards revs My old 3lt Spivo used to change into top at 1.5th rpm = 80kph.

New one at the same revs 1.5th is doing 103kph got to make a difference regardless.

Still don't think it's got anything to do with Premium Diesel. As stated will ask Toyo to see what they say.

18 hours ago, transam said:

I don't take a lot of notice of what one or two blokes write, l would rather read lots, especially what fuel suppliers are saying as they have to stand behind their "claims"..

Folk chuck bottles of injector cleaner in the tank, nice little earner for who makes it, does that stuff do any harm...?

:stoner:

"l would rather read lots, especially what fuel suppliers are saying as they have to stand behind their "claims".."

I would say "especially what fuel suppliers are saying as they have to sell their "claims".." I agree with you that I feel it is good in the long run to occasionally fill up with premium (diesel for me).

16 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Just been to do the school run and took notice of the engine revs and the likes.

I still think its got something to do with low revs and the fact that it doesn't clunk from cold why the oil is clear. 

The clunking form of piston slap must let soot into the oil as well???

As regards revs My old 3lt Spivo used to change into top at 1.5th rpm = 80kph.

New one at the same revs 1.5th is doing 103kph got to make a difference regardless.

Still don't think it's got anything to do with Premium Diesel. As stated will ask Toyo to see what they say.

Cold start knock is caused by not enough heat in the engine to burn all the fuel, some engines have a small fuel shot before the main shot to reduce knock, even after warm up, that's why the Toyota engine is fairly quiet. A new engine will not have piston slap unless it possibly has big bore clearances..

5 hours ago, transam said:

Cold start knock is caused by not enough heat in the engine to burn all the fuel, some engines have a small fuel shot before the main shot to reduce knock, even after warm up, that's why the Toyota engine is fairly quiet. A new engine will not have piston slap unless it possibly has big bore clearances..

No piston slap in my 2.8 I was referring to my last two 3lt ones, they always had some clatter if you didn't go at slow revs after start up from cold. I did read that the 2.8 doesn't clatter due to it's low C/Ratio. I only know that you cant hear the engine at anytime. Bit of road noise at speed on crap roads 'rumble strips' that's about it.

Have sent an Email to Toyo await reply.

Edited by fredob43

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

No piston slap in my 2.8 I was referring to my last two 3lt ones, they always had some clatter if you didn't go at slow revs after start up from cold. I did read that the 2.8 doesn't clatter due to it's low C/Ratio. I only know that you cant hear the engine at anytime. Bit of road noise at speed on crap roads 'rumble strips' that's about it.

Strange how my 10 year old Vigo has no piston slap...Only "clatter" it has is early morning start up in December and January when overnight temps dive. Block is cold..Text book stuff...This time of year there is no noise whatsoever....

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Have sent an Email to Toyo await reply.

Discoloured oil is normally caused by EGR. Oil on my V-Cross got dark fairly quickly but on the EV much less so. Maybe later engines use less EGR or combustion is better ...or somehow exhaust gas debris is 'filtered' out 'somehow' before it enters the EGR system

When I blanked the EGR on the V-Cross the oil didn't discolour ....

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

short update here, in my new Pajero we have a significant increase in range using a full tank of premium compared to normal - i havent run the numbers as yet, due to the fact that i want to do 2/3 full tank runs with each fuel on under normal day to day driving