Buying a used motorbike-insurance, changing title, etc.

iamloved

I have searched the forums (not too extensively, so link me to the thread if this has already been covered), but I am buying a motorbike from another farang today and was wondering what type of things I need to do to? (As in DMV (thai equivalent) (department of motor vehicles). and possibly 3rd party insurance? I do plan on getting a thai drivers license as well as a motorbike one (as I hear they are not that hard to get). (I have an American and a Swiss DL). The bike is registered until april of next year. But I just want to make sure everything is as legal as possible.

Making sure the 3rd Party compulsory insurance is in place is good. The previous owner should gave the insurance document. This insurance follows the vehicle not the driver.

Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to get another. It's not at all expensive.

Other documents should include the Green Book. This needs to be taken to the vehicle registration dept where a transfer firm is available v

Good luck with the license. It may not be as easy as you've heard.

• Like 1

It is a fairly painless process but it's rather time consuming. And it is all in Thai at the DMV, even in Pattaya. It recommend using an agent. Costs around 1000 Baht but saves you many hours waiting at the DMV (they inspect the serial number and make you wait 2-4 hours). Big bike shops will do it for you. Make sure to get a certificate of residence from immigration for proof of address (copy of last rent payments (without address is ok) and a business card from your apartment will suffice) and give this to the agent.

You don't need a licence to transfer the bike, your passport will do.

Edited by wump

So I passed on the first bike, because of many different reasons. (high mileage, several previous owners, need repair, etc). I have been offered another bike that sounds a lot better (low mileage, only one previous owner, etc, etc). Although I trust the person I am buying it from I would still like to take it to a mechanic/garage and have it looked at before I buy it. It is a Mio Fino (yamaha). Preferably a place not too far from the city (Chiang Rai). And preferably someone who speaks a little English. Any advice? or where I can search the forum for a good place? (I saw one for a Honda's, but I'm just not sure).

Also someone had mentioned 3rd party insurance. What company would I purchase this through? I understand the whole government/state insurance that comes with the bike/registration/licensing.

Thanks!