TMB ATMs now only give you 25K max ?

Granted, its for the 150baht fee, but I know I was getting 30K pulls at the Central Festival branch ATM here in Pattaya just last week. They have a sign to the effect that the ATM can dispense a maximum of 25 bank notes - still beats 20K pulls at either 150 or 180 baht but this latest development leaves me wondering how long that will be the case. Which was the other bank that still allows 30k withdrawals ?

Granted, its for the 150baht fee, but I know I was getting 30K pulls at the Central Festival branch ATM here in Pattaya just last week. They have a sign to the effect that the ATM can dispense a maximum of 25 bank notes - still beats 20K pulls at either 150 or 180 baht but this latest development leaves me wondering how long that will be the case. Which was the other bank that still allows 30k withdrawals ?

Krungsri (yellow ATM)

Yes, Krungsri allows 30K pulls but charge Bt180.

They also have the best exchange rate.

No they don't...they have the same exchange rate as every other bank ATM as ATMs use the Visa/Mastercard/AmEx/Union Pay (whatever logo is on your card) exchange rate "unless the ATM offers you the selection of the ripoff Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) which the ATM may give a warm & fuzzy name like Bank Rate, Home Rate, etc....the DCC rate will be 2 to 4% lower than the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate."  Now, if your card carries a foreign transaction fee of 1 to 3% then that will effectively lower the exchange rate...but that foreign transaction fee is applied by your "card-issuing bank" not the local ATM.

Regarding the ATM possibly offering a DCC withdrawal (be sure to refuse and continue on), I used a KrungSri ATM about one week ago and it "did not" offer the rip-off DCC selection...and I was so ready to say NO to DCC! 

The UOB bank atms use to allow 40k withdrawals. A couple of years back, they updated their machines, but i think the new machines still allow 30k. I am not really too bothered anywhere, because my bank atm cards now use the union pay network, which only charge 50 baht fee.

All my local withdrawals up to the limit are free...oh silly me, I actually have Thai bank accounts with ATM cards. What could have possessed me to do a dumb thing like that?

You win - I'll cut up my KrungThai ATM card tonight and go with the barter system from this point forward. One of the things I found when I did the rounds of the banks here was that they weren't keen to allow anyone with a tourist visa (which was all I had at the time) to open an account, but KT were willing to do so. Even so, I keep money in two Australian bank accounts and use my KT ATM card sparingly - horses for courses. This is a thread about getting the most money from a single ATM withdrawal, not a pissing match for expats. 

• Like 1

All my local withdrawals up to the limit are free...oh silly me, I actually have Thai bank accounts with ATM cards. What could have possessed me to do a dumb thing like that?

You win - I'll cut up my KrungThai ATM card tonight and go with the barter system from this point forward. One of the things I found when I did the rounds of the banks here was that they weren't keen to allow anyone with a tourist visa (which was all I had at the time) to open an account, but KT were willing to do so. Even so, I keep money in two Australian bank accounts and use my KT ATM card sparingly - horses for courses. This is a thread about getting the most money from a single ATM withdrawal, not a pissing match for expats. 

You're not really an expat when you have to fund your existence from ATM withdrawals from Farangland. I'd classify you as more a long-term tourist.

You're not really an expat when you have to fund your existence from ATM withdrawals from Farangland. I'd classify you as more a long-term tourist.

You should update your classification system.  If you have a no foreign transaction fee debit card that also reimburses ATM fees (I have two such debit cards) it's the fastest and cheapest way to get money from your home country bank---like instant money totally fee-free to you....no waiting for a wire transfer to show up which has fees attached.  Now if you meant a person no longer keeps any money in their home country and has all his money in Thai banks,..or maybe earns their money from within Thailand, well, it is your classification system.

• Like 1

Classify me any way you want - I'm not here to meet any of your criteria - but none of that helps anyone looking for ATMs that allow you to withdraw 30K baht in a single transaction. 

Assuming you've gone to the trouble to get a Thai SIM card, why don't you just call the free customer service hotlines all the banks have and ask the friendly English speaking reps what the max withdrawals from their ATMs are? And while you're at it, why don't you ask the max daily withdrawal limits and what, if any charges they may add, and what conversion rate they use so you won't have to ask this same question on T-V every few months. I mean, we're talking maybe only a half a dozen calls right.

• 3 weeks later...

For the OP, I've regularly been using TMB ATMs in BKK, and pulling 30K per withdrawal.

The last time I did that transaction was the start of July and it was fine... Haven't tried again this month, as doing something different this time.

FWIW, I haven't seen any notice at the TMB ATMs here advising of any change. But of course, that doesn't mean anything.

I guess I'll find out for sure next time I try my next 30K pull.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The UOB bank atms use to allow 40k withdrawals. A couple of years back, they updated their machines, but i think the new machines still allow 30k. I am not really too bothered anywhere, because my bank atm cards now use the union pay network, which only charge 50 baht fee.

which bank is this that uses union pay network?

The reason I posted through this forum is because the people in the banks don't know or don't care if you get a correct answer and I figured you folks would be able to give better answers.

My original question has nothing to do with Union Pay, which I have through Bank of China account or various fees, or arranging a no ATM fee deal with a foreign bank account. It simply is to try to find out which machines spit out the most bills at one time so I can save money on the fees.

Also as noted the DCC (thanks for that) conversion rates or margin is really crappy in ATM's, and seeems to have gotten worse.

I think many of us are stuck using ATMS's whether we like it or ot, and not able to go inside and get a cash withdrawal on a debit card or strat ATM like some are able to do.

Also as noted the DCC (thanks for that) conversion rates or margin is really crappy in ATM's, and seeems to have gotten worse.

I think many of us are stuck using ATMS's whether we like it or ot, and not able to go inside and get a cash withdrawal on a debit card or strat ATM like some are able to do.

Actual DCC is pretty easy to avoid, if you're paying attention.

First, it only applies at some Thai banks -- Ayudhya and SCB, among them -- and it only applies when using a MasterCard logo card. There is no DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) when using Visa logo cards.

Second, any Thai bank ATM that's offering DCC on a MC withdrawal, their ATM screen is going to ask the customer if they want the transaction done in their home country currency instead of Thai baht, and showing what the withdrawal will be in their home country currency. The user has to say YES to that in order for the DCC rates transaction to occur. It can't just happen automatically.

So, if someone is getting poor exchange rates at Thai ATMs outside of those parameters, then it is almost certainly coming from fees -- which many users are blithely unaware of -- charged by their home country card issuing bank. Foreign currency conversion fees, VISA ISA fees, out of network ATM charges, etc etc. Using an ATM card abroad, you really have to be aware of the fees policy of your home bank.

Separately, on the OP issue in this thread, member Pib just posted in a different thread that he was able to make a 30K baht withdrawal today from a TMB ATM in BKK. So the experience reported by the OP may not be indicative of all TMB ATMs or a bank-wide change in that regard.

You should update your classification system.  If you have a no foreign transaction fee debit card that also reimburses ATM fees (I have two such debit cards) it's the fastest and cheapest way to get money from your home country bank---like instant money totally fee-free to you..

Would still make it a tourist classification after doing that process for too long - and having no funds when there were interruptions with international communications and all those weird screen notices about my card being fraudulent or my mother being what?biggrin.png  Not to mention the fear of card loss or damage.  To me convenience and ease of use (not having to review bank policy every full moon) favors local account even if a few baht more costly overall

I would much rather wait a few days on a schedule and have the money in an account within Thailand for later use - even if I have to pay the $5 or $10 fee to ACH transfer to my BBL account as I can do this from home at anytime without the need for a foreign card or ATM visit and have a pool of funds available here in case of emergency.

It's not an either-or proposition. Either rely on foreign funds transfers or deposits only OR rely on foreign card ATMs.

Many of us do both -- keep sizable deposits locally here, and sometimes do foreign funds transfers.

But for me, chiefly, nearing a decade now, I've relied mainly on no-net fee foreign ATM card withdrawals because 1) they meet my financial needs and 2) for me, with my cards, they're the most cost-effective means of accessing my funds.

In all the time I've been here, I can't think of but a handful of instances where they was even the briefest interruption of ATM access. And on those instances, yes, I also have local funds available for withdrawal as needed.

The BKK Bank-New York route is certainly a good means of accessing U.S. funds. And it's cheaper than traditional wire transfers, and certainly cheaper that someone who'd be foolish enough to be making foreign card ATM withdrawals and paying a 3% foreign currency fee to their home bank plus a 150 or 180 baht withdrawal fee to the Thai bank owning the ATM.

But, the simple math is clear: if you're using a no foreign currency fee ATM card that also reimburses foreign ATM card withdrawal fees like those charged by the Thai banks, they're you're going to get a better deal financially than any international funds transfer.

I tried Krungsri last week with a Thai card and 30k was no longer possible, only 20k so not sure if foreign cards still allow 30k

Not correct.
You can still withdraw 30k.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I tried Krungsri last week with a Thai card and 30k was no longer possible, only 20k so not sure if foreign cards still allow 30k

Not correct.
You can still withdraw 30k.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Agree...withdrew Bt30K from an Krungsri ATM approx 2 weeks ago here in Bangkok using a foreign card...foreign card fee Bt180.  

And today I used a TMB ATM her in Bangkok to withdraw Bt30K using a foreign card...foreign card fee Bt150.

Now "any" bank's ATM can be low on cash which can kick it into smaller withdrawals allowed than normal until the ATM is refilled with cash.   There is a Bangkok Bank ATM at a fuel station close to me that sometimes issues up to Bt25K...other times when it's getting low on cash it drops down to Bt12.5K max.  Or some ATMs in certain areas may be set to a lower amount permanently like if they are high use ATMs...the lower amount is geared to prevent the ATM from running out of cash too fast.

Edited by Pib

The lower amount is because they are limiting withdrawal to 25 bills at Bangkok Bank ATM's.  So if only 500 baht notes are available then 12,500 baht - if only 100 baht notes it is 2,500 baht (and yes I have used with that limit a few times).