Girl dies from food poisoning; 159 schoolmates got affected

Lite Beer

Yes, we can find three days old Kaengsom bubbling in aluminum pots outside those wonderful restaurants in my town. Other precooked curries are also available. I do not touch them, as I had had enough food related troubles with my daughters already.

That is one reason, that I only visit restaurants, where the food is prepared à la minute, and where I know the cooks attitude towards the preparation and conservation of food.

If somebody within the vicinity of Hat Yai likes to know, how I survive without any food poisoning, here is the link at Tripadvisor, you also find (if you look out for it) their menu online: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297921-d4371324-r168246879-The_Fish_Kitchen-Haurries as_Yai_Songkhla_Province.html

The second reason is the "No Piss"-policy of the owner. The LEO-Beer being offered is fresh. The boxes are being bought right of the truck, and stashed in the fridge. Beer, which has been sitting at around 30 degrees centigrade for two weeks or two months, is out of the question.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai people need to learn more about food safety, I don't know how some people don't get sick when I see raw meat hanging for the whole day?

Thai people + long term expats who went native up to a certain degree will have a higher resistance level than tourists from western countries. Likewise: Citizens of oh so clean Singapore frequently get problems when holidaying in neighboring Malaysia and Indonesia.

Thai families often tend to store ready cooked food in a cupboard instead of in the fridge where it will dry out.

Don't want to deny though that the person responsible for serving this food to these children, obviously didn't know what he/she was doing. One simple trick if you are not sure about meat, is to put a little bit of it in front of a cat. If the cat walks away after briefly sniffing, it is not good anymore.

You are so rite there.

The Thai's have hundreds of years getting accustomed to the food as it is prepared and stored here. We don't

This sounds more like a case of mishandling even for the Thai's. For that many to be affected it had to be some thing really seriously different. I hope the rest of the kids recover with out any serious permanent damage.

Doesn't look like Salmonella to me. They died too quickly for that. I think it's more likely some kind of pesticide or poison was mixed with the food.

The problem is often that cleaning products, pesticides and cooking oil are kept in unlabeled containers at the same location.

It would be better if schools would stop buying unlabeled bulk containers.

You may be right here. Not often are so many willing to eat something that most definatelly must smell bad enough not to eat.

You can mask things pretty well. Complete rotten meat can be without smell an appear good (I know only the German name of the chemical to use (Kaliumpermanganat)....

Thai people need to learn more about food safety, I don't know how some people don't get sick when I see raw meat hanging for the whole day?

Thai people + long term expats who went native up to a certain degree will have a higher resistance level than tourists from western countries. Likewise: Citizens of oh so clean Singapore frequently get problems when holidaying in neighboring Malaysia and Indonesia.

Thai families often tend to store ready cooked food in a cupboard instead of in the fridge where it will dry out.

Don't want to deny though that the person responsible for serving this food to these children, obviously didn't know what he/she was doing. One simple trick if you are not sure about meat, is to put a little bit of it in front of a cat. If the cat walks away after briefly sniffing, it is not good anymore.

The same cats that eat vomit or different ones? 555

Cat sniffing meat ? sorry but thats total crap

• Like 1

You don't live in Thailand without food poisoning once every 6 to 8 weeks.

to give credibility to your post, please say where you eat and what you eat, oh, and drink.

I have never had tummy troubles from food in Thailand.

True my wife cooks at home but we regularly eat out in restaurants and eating street food is not unknown to us.

We also travel quite a bit within Thailand and grab food in places we have never been before.

Ah, sorry, I remember now, after a long boozy session, my tum was a tad delicate the next day, as was my head.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There is something to be said for the lack of food safety standards during the preparation and storing process in Thailand, that being said, the absolute worst case of food poisoning I have ever gotten was in my home country of the USA from an improperly cooked hamburger. While I've had the occasional stomach upset in Thailand, I have only had maybe one instance of serious food borne illness in 5 years. Back on topic. For parents, it is very important to get children to the doctor as soon as possible when sickened like this to avoid dehydration and death.The kids will scream at the thought of the IV needle, but it will save their life if they are suffering from diarrhea and vomiting like one would think these children are.

These events happen all over the world and on a daily basis. The culprit is, nearly 97% of the time, the result of poorly stored or handled food (temp, time, preparation).

Anyone remember the incident with Denmark's famous Noma Restaurant about a year ago? Can't walk through the doors and sit down for less than about 200 euros at what has been called the finest restaurant in the world by S.Pelligrino. Nearly 70 people got sick over a 3 day period prompting health officials to pay a visit where they found MANY issues with how food was handled and stored.

Shouldn't happen to kids. Shouldn't happen to anyone. Been there and it's no fun when you're taken down for a couple days by culinary incompetence.

http://nypost.com/2013/03/08/top-denmark-restaurant-sickens-more-than-60-people/

The death of anyone in Thailand because of food poisoning is sad. The culture that lends itself to that happening is here to stay. Changing it would be a near impossibility.

Does Thailand even have a food health department with responsibility to check on the hygiene of restaurants or factories?

He had instructed officials to investigate and find preventative measures to reduce the risk of something like this happening again.

Why do we always have to wait for a tragedy to happen before preventative measures are taken, we are talking about a family who lost a child and over a hundred who ended up in hospital? To simply say that the district chief says that an investigation and preventative measures should be done is simply not good enough, has the life of a child have no value anymore? Would you accept this, if it were your child?

Because they are CRETINS

Find the chef and make sure that he eat some of his poisoned food, maybe he will learn from this.

But that is the problem HE WONT, try this simple experiment, wait for a car to tailgate you then yank the handbrake on, he'll almost hit you and back off.......for about 5 seconds.

My 77 year old father and his 71 year old new girlfriend just had a severe bout of food poisoning in the UK at a barbecue organised by the local dodgy handshake brigade aka Freemasons. Not only him, but more than a dozen had severe vomiting and the sh#its for 36 hours.

It does happen everywhere.

Me - only once; in Portugal. I've lived here for 11 years and regularly eat street food, and my favourite resto is perhaps, shall we say, not great on sanitation, but boy, can she cook good Thai/Lao food.

I've had food poisoning two times in Thailand. Both times at globally recognized food establishments (I won't name them for obvious reasons). Never have been sick eating locally or from food carts/stalls. As another poster said, this happens everywhere, even in 'Developed" countries.

Like alot of others, eat my fair share of street food here in Thailand, have had about 4 cases of nasty food poisoning over the last 5 years....all happened in the States, never had a problem here in Thailand. Weird.

• Like 1

How often do you get a food poisoning in Thailand?

We never cook at home and usually eat in cheap of average priced restaurants (2 or 3 times per day).

I get sick about 2 or 3 times per year from the food.

Usually it's pretty innocent, but in 6 years time, I also had 3 serious food poisonings that could only be healed with antibiotics.

With a serious food poisoning, I mean anything that makes you feel weak for 2 or more weeks.

My experience : look at the kitchen.

If the kitchen is dirty go somewhere else, no matter what your Thai friends say - don't trust it.

In some restaurants, the front of the restaurant is clean, but the kitchen is like a place from a horror movie.

I never got sick from eating in a restaurant with a clean open kitchen.

Edited by kriswillems

So many ignorant folks ready to condemn Thailand for food hygine. Food poisoning incidents are not unique here. Rather than all your aggressively ignorant blabbing why don't you just open an internet search engine and look up food poisoning stats in any country?

So because it`s just as bad in other countries, it`s OK in

Thailand too??? I don`t see the logic. If we want to make

the world a better place, we cannot make the worst place

on earth be the standard, so why compare to other

countries that are same or worse?!

In my country it`s VERY strict, and you would get prosecuted,

probably for involuntary manslaughter...

BTW..

"aggressively ignorant blabbing"

Read your own post and chill dude!

Cheers wink.png

• Like 2

So many ignorant folks ready to condemn Thailand for food hygine. Food poisoning incidents are not unique here. Rather than all your aggressively ignorant blabbing why don't you just open an internet search engine and look up food poisoning stats in any country?

So because it`s just as bad in other countries, it`s OK in

Thailand too??? I don`t see the logic. If we want to make

the world a better place, we cannot make the worst place

on earth be the standard, so why compare to other

countries that are same or worse?!

In my country it`s VERY strict, and you would get prosecuted,

probably for involuntary manslaughter...

BTW..

"aggressively ignorant blabbing"

Read your own post and chill dude!

Cheers wink.png

YUP, "techboy in his previous post was trying to defend a Thai bus driver that had killed 20 people then fled. "techboy" said the driver did not break the law. Pathetic