rainy season?

stevehaigh

i've never seen a rainy season like this in the 11 years i've been here. my neighbours well has run out of water again. the water trucks seem as busy as dry seaon. and nothing on windguru (but a lot of wind) for the next week.

Yes, high season was very dry, and low season has continued that trend. We really could do with a few days (or more) of rain.

BTW, what wind next week? Windguru looks very quiet.

So far, there hasn't been enough continuous rain to replenish the water-table.

We need one of those three day rain-fests to really soak the land.

Could not agree more. We are still trucking in water in Patong and Kata.

Strange - the Phuket Town mains water supply pressure has been ridiculously high the last few days.

The mains water pressure is about the same as 6 or 7 years ago when there were several water pressure related disasters at my house! (Burst pipe, connectors blown apart, water-tank ball-cock failed).

That was then followed by several days - maybe a week - with no water at all while they trucked down a new pressure regulator from Bangkok.

I'm storing plenty of emergency water at the moment. ph34r.png

Just measured the amount of water in my well.

Since the end of the dry season, the water has increased in depth by two metres.

Can I ask, how deep is your well, and what is the depth of the water?

About 10 metres deep.

End of dry season the water got down to 1.5 metres.

Now has 3.5 metres.

Most I've ever seen is 5.5 metres.

Well went dry in 2004 and 2005 (around then, anyway).

I have had a narrow bore drilled in addition that goes down 61 metres. This was kicking in when the well was at only 1.5 metres. I can pump until only 0.5 metres, but, replenishment is so slow at that level, the deep bore starts pumping (it's all set up automatically).

Thanks.

My well is 33 metres deep and feeds 3 pumps. For the first time in memory a couple of them temporarily ran dry, a month or two back, and had to be reprimed to get them going again.

How do you measure the depth, I'm thinking of using a small rope with a weight on the end? There's probably a better way.smile.png

Thanks.

My well is 33 metres deep and feeds 3 pumps. For the first time in memory a couple of them temporarily ran dry, a month or two back, and had to be reprimed to get them going again.

How do you measure the depth, I'm thinking of using a small rope with a weight on the end? There's probably a better way.smile.png

I use a 50 metre tape-measure with a rock taped to the end.

If you have to re-prime a pump, it is more than likely that the one-way valve at the suction end is malfunctioning. They only seem to last about five years, or so.

Thanks.

If you have to re-prime a pump, it is more than likely that the one-way valve at the suction end is malfunctioning. They only seem to last about five years, or so.

Happened to two different pumps within days of each other. They've all been fine since the rains started.

I think they just sucked air before the water levels had time to replenish.

It's a big well, but with 3 pumps sucking at the same time it had trouble keeping up when the levels were down

Thanks.

Happened to two different pumps within days of each other. They've all been fine since the rains started.

It's a big well, but with 3 pumps sucking at the same time it had trouble keeping up when the levels were down

If they are sucking air, then the float switch that switches the pump off when there is no water is incorrectly positioned. It needs to stop the pump before the one-way valve is exposed.

Thanks.

If they are sucking air, then the float switch that switches the pump off when there is no water is incorrectly positioned. It needs to stop the pump before the one-way valve is exposed.

Makes sense. All 3 pumps are relatively new, 2 were replaced within the last year.

Thinking about it, the two that had problems are the same brand and were installed by the same people. They may have set up the float incorrectly.

I'll pursue that aspect if there are further problems.

Thanks

Makes sense. All 3 pumps are relatively new, 2 were replaced within the last year.

Thinking about it, the two that had problems are the same brand and were installed by the same people. They may have set up the float incorrectly.

I'll pursue that aspect if there are further problems.

Thanks

Beware. A lot of cowboys. My bet is that they didn't install a float switch to switch the pumps off.

Just reading we can expect much more rain in the coming days. Do any of you weather gurus agree. I can recall numerous instances when there was reported heavy rain coming but the reports actually came out after the rains. If El Nino takes hold I believe we can expect a not so wet wet season.

Almost halfway through the rainy season now with relatively little rain.

This can be attributed to the start of El Nino. India has had only 50% of the rainfall that it usually expects.

There could be severe water shortages this upcoming high season.

Almost halfway through the rainy season now with relatively little rain.

This can be attributed to the start of El Nino. India has had only 50% of the rainfall that it usually expects.

There could be severe water shortages this upcoming high season.

i'm really hoping its going to catch up in the 2nd half of the year because this is pathetic so far.

good time to buy shares in water delivery trucks?

Yes, I've also been hearing about the catch-up theory.

Yes, the last half IS usually wetter than the first half with September and October having the most rain-fall during the year.

Even if it is the "normal" heavy rain-fall, it still won't make up the difference.

Those on government water would do well to start looking at alternatives IMHO.

Today has been day without daylight. All grey, but still no real rain.

It's nice cool thought.

Plenty plenty rain these last 4 hours. And the rain still pouring down. Waiting for the usual power out/TV sevice out.

The rain started.. and never ended quite shortly after I wrote that. First windguru was stating that the rain would stop at 16:00 (0.4mm of rain and nothing until tomorrow). Now they have changed their 'prediction'.

A car or at least a fridge full of food would have been a nice thing to have. Scooter rides in this weather are not the most enjoyable ones.

25.4C now.

Today has been day without daylight. All grey, but still no real rain.

It's nice cool thought.

Plenty plenty rain these last 4 hours. And the rain still pouring down. Waiting for the usual power out/TV sevice out.

The rain started.. and never ended quite shortly after I wrote that. First windguru was stating that the rain would stop at 16:00 (0.4mm of rain and nothing until tomorrow). Now they have changed their 'prediction'.

A car or at least a fridge full of food would have been a nice thing to have. Scooter rides in this weather are not the most enjoyable ones.

25.4C now.

Yes, a nice rainy day. It's down to a nice 23.7º C outside here in Rawai, but still about 26º C inside with the windows open. We could use a few days of this! I should have put out the rain gauge as this is the first real rain I've seen since getting back in early June! By the way Windguru doesn't do a very good job of weather prediction here. It is a bit better than the Thai meteorological website though. I find the radar on this site is pretty accurate, although it's not a long term forecast. http://panphuket.com/weather

Edited by Jimi007

Yes, a nice rainy day. It's down to a nice 23.7º C outside here in Rawai, but still about 26º C inside with the windows open. We could use a few days of this! I should have put out the rain gauge as this is the first real rain I've seen since getting back in early June! By the way Windguru doesn't do a very good job of weather prediction here. It is a bit better than the Thai meteorological website though. I find the radar on this site is pretty accurate, although it's not a long term forecast. http://panphuket.com/weather

The PanPhuket weather page is collection of various weather sources which are related to Phuket. It tries to give a one glance overview of the local weather.

The radar image itself is from TMD rain radar, which is physically located a bit north to the Phuket airport. The loop is originated here: http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/pkt120Loop.php

For a long time I have wanted to setup a 1-button weather station of my own. Something which would be able to collect all kind of weather related information: rain gauge, wind sensors, pressure meter as well as solar radiation sensor and transfer the data to a database where it could be printed to website. Those used to be quite expensive before and I have not checked what is the current price.