Can owner of my room do this?

Bountyhuntr

Perhaps this question best posed in the Ask the lawyer section.

I'm still hung up on the owners selling a room in a condo bit. Didn't know you could legally just sell a room, and not the entire unit.

Edited by submaniac

I'm assuming the OP is referring to a one room condo, as opposed to one room in a condo. It sounds like the OP is referring to a studio apartment in a condominium building?

Check your lease for any wording that allows them to terminate your tenancy before the term is up. If it's not there they can't toss you out.

Don't panic. It's totally reasonable for them to show your room to prospective buyers while you are still their tenant under contract. I have had this happen several times. It's OK.

You may even get an offer from your current landlord, or the new owner to either remain after your lease expires, or relocate to a new place. My experience with Thai landlords is they really do appreciate good tenants.

If you have a signed contract by the real owner the likelihood of your being cheated deposits and tossed out because of a sale are very low.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

Generally, if you are renting by the month, then a months notice would be required, unless your rental agreement has some other clause or agreement.

Remember, what the law says and what happens in reality are not always the same.

Depends on the contract.

My contracts are all based on UK ASTs and normally for twelve months (sometimes with a Landlord and/or tenant break Clause at the six months point) or straight six month. If an owner wants to sell we make the tenant aware at the outset and built a clause in that gives the owner the right to terminate giving a month's notice at any time and only for that purpose. Any tenant accepting this would normally expect to pay a lower rent.

The controlling document is the contract you signed at the outset.

SDM

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

This is a one bedroom unit in a condo which I'm renting (normal). I signed a 6 month contract at the start of the June for 6 months so have 4-5 months left. There is nothing stated in the contract which I signed regarding any of this.

So I'm wondering if I HAVE to move room and break contract early if owner tells me and sells room. I heard something about if sell room early I can get some money but I do not wish to leave before my contract ends. I wish to stay here even if the owner of my room sells it.

EDIT: regarding deposit, yes she has 2 months of my money.

Edited by liamstevens111

I'm assuming the OP is referring to a one room condo, as opposed to one room in a condo. It sounds like the OP is referring to a studio apartment in a condominium building?

Check your lease for any wording that allows them to terminate your tenancy before the term is up. If it's not there they can't toss you out.

Don't panic. It's totally reasonable for them to show your room to prospective buyers while you are still their tenant under contract. I have had this happen several times. It's OK.

You may even get an offer from your current landlord, or the new owner to either remain after your lease expires, or relocate to a new place. My experience with Thai landlords is they really do appreciate good tenants.

If you have a signed contract by the real owner the likelihood of your being cheated deposits and tossed out because of a sale are very low.

Thanks for that. There's nothing in the contract regarding anything about terminating my contract due to these reasons.