Thai military keeps US waiting over Cobra Gold

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US is bound by their own law in how they react to a coup. I'm surprised the Thai government doesn't know that.

Thais think they are perfect so no one can critize them.

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just a bunch of political tit-for-tat, for Thai public consumption. I forecast within a month or so after the junta gets the desired public consumption it will quietly approve the resumption of the Cobra Goal exercise in Thailand because it's not only the U.S. that takes part/co-sponsors the exercise but a variety of countries in this region. Once an major military exercise moves to another country like Australia, or maybe even the Philippines, it can take serious effort to get it back.

Well you man be and probably are rite.

My question is what is the point to it all. If a war was to break out I am quite sure the ships would not have time to gather to support each other.

Great to see Thailand stick it to USA. If usa wants to be dumb about Thailand and try to play usa's silly little "freedom" card, usa can go play by itself. Go Thai Army !!!

USA still does not understand the world has grown up around it and now considers Uncle Sam an out of touch old fogy. Sam can not slap nations around with the "democracy" stuff anymore. Sam has used up his credibility.

Note, stat on Net says Thailand is China's THIRD largest trading partner. Handwriting is on the wall.

PS, usa war planes need SEA bases; Diego Garcia is a little too far and Australia is way way too far.

Okinawa is close enough my friend. We can still reach out and touch you anywhere we want.

So true, people like khnomkhnom really don't think too hard, Okinawa, South Korea, navy bases in Australia and at a bet I'd say Taiwan would be cooperative. Thailand doesn't even share a border with China, so any land forces would have to "invade" Burma or Lao first. Interestingly, Vietnam is in conflict with china, it's not beyond possibility that the US and Vietnam could become allies.

China more of less controls Burma already. They own the most valuable mining concessions, and pay a fortune to the generals. So. Burma would offer China anything they wanted. Laos, being the friendly communist neighbor they are, would not offer much resistance either. yes, the US military is overreaching, but not nearly on the level of the intelligence community. Thank Snowden for revealing the extent of that. If only the average American knew the full extent of it, a lot of minds would be blown. When Clinton left office, there were about 230,000 Americans employed in the intelligence fields. When Tiny George II left office that number had exploded to 530,000. Now, there are over 900,000 people employed to spy on you and me, by the US govt. You can thank Barry the Dove for that.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Not trying to justify it but now the number of soldiers involved in wars they never should have been involved in to begin with is way down. Also has a definite date when there will be no more involvement in the needless wars they started.

@ Northernjohn

"Not trying to justify it but now the number of soldiers involved in wars they never should have been involved in to begin with is way down. Also has a definite date when there will be no more involvement in the needless wars they started."

Yes less US troops...

but more drones,more mercenaries,more support of terrorist groups,more arms & military equipment sold,more torture & more wars...

check out the genocide in eastern Ukraine happening now by US supported Nazi puppet state in Kiev with no US troops on the ground there...just CIA & mercenaries & NGO's.

Cobra Gold is a plan to bring Thailand into a US controlled SE Asian military force & showoff the latest military equipment they can buy for the" war on terror".

Edited by iphad

I may be wrong here but aren't the military going to be very busy over the coming months, perhaps a little too busy for distractions like this ?

Exercise Cobra Gold 2014 concluded Feb. 21 so this is about for 2015.

Cobra Gold began as an alliance between Thailand and the US then became multilateral.(Japan, South Korea, Indonesia and Malaysia.)

It became multilateral because US involvement went waaaay down because of Iraq and Afghanistan. US involvement is minimal now. I worked Cobra Gold from 1999-2004.

The US acted incredibly foolishly and short-sighted to make this threat when China is right there is the shadows waiting to strengthen their relationship both militarily and commercially.

You have to consider the foreign relations experience of the current US regime.

Sorry but the nation article is just playing propaganda populist games, it wont have a clue about real back room relations and pretending Thailand is playing the upper hand now by demanding a reason to attend is frankly laughable and childish.

There is little done by the US and more by regional partners every year. If Thailand want to sit it out it wont make any difference to the others involved.

• Like 1

This is censorship propaganda from the junta, and the report that the US has threatened to do anything at all about Cobra Gold [CG] - delay it, move it, cancel it, change it in any way - is simply false, utterly false and reported by the Thai media under both censored news and strong intimidation.

I guess your Google feature is broken, as there are a myriad of press reports outside of Thailand quoting State Department 'concerns' with CG in Thailand, as well as Congressman Chabot's concerns:

"Republican Congressman Steve Chabot raised the Thai coup as a reason for moving the exercise in a hearing of the House Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific this week. Mr Chabot said the exercise went ahead in 2006 after another coup but he has questioned the message military cooperation with a junta would send to the region." [Various]

But once we called it a "coup," we were obligated by Congressional law to shut down a few spigots of foreign and military aid money, and pay a certain amount of lip service to how wonderful democracy is, regardless of extenuating circumstances. But we certainly weren't obligated to go past lip service -- but some State Dept bozo just couldn't get past how horrible the loss of human rights were in the absence of democracy. So, we would pack up our CG, and go elsewhere. (I'm sure the Dept of Defense, with no love of State Dept, is livid.)

But, wait! Didn't Egypt have a coup, where thousands died (and are dying)? Yes, but realpolitik prevailed:

"The Obama administration, in a move that may protect U.S. aid to Egypt, has concluded that it doesn’t have to make a formal determination on whether the ouster of President Mohamed Mursi was a coup, a State Department official said. Making such a determination, which potentially would have required cutting off aid, wouldn’t be in the U.S. national interest, State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said today." [bloomberg]

Well, some aid was, in fact, cut off -- but not for long. And the Apache helicopters are being offloaded, as we speak. I guess canals trump klongs.

What's ironic here is -- Isn't this supposed to be the year of our pivot towards Asia? Also, realpolitik is supposedly now influencing foreign policy, at least when you consider that "democracy" and "human rights" are no longer among the top 4 priorities of Obama's foreign policy doctrine (such as it is, or isn't) .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/fred-hiatt-obamas-u-turn-on-human-rights/2013/10/20/7040e52c-3807-11e3-80c6-7e6dd8d22d8f_story.html

I guess Dept of State didn't get the memo.

But, based on the bozo they recently sent to Bahrain (a former honcho in Human Rights Watch, recently hired by State), I guess they really don't get it -- and thus continue to tilt at authoritarianism where ever it exists -- reality be damned.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/07/bahrain_expels_us_diplomat.html

Anyway, the OP sounds like Uncle Sam is doing some serious backpedaling re Cobra Gold. Sounds like the Dept of Defense has arrived.

Idealists in ivory towers are so boring -- and usually counterproductive.

Edited by JimGant

[...]

if you know anything about how radar works..you can't flip a switch & the airplane disappears off the radar screen.

[...]

It is OT but let me just kill this conspiracy theory. Of course you can flip a switch (Transponder off or STBY) and disappear from radar - when you are beyond the range of primary radar and the tracking is done with the secondary response only.

Primary radar has a limited range as it uses one antenna for transmitting and receiving. During the transmitting phase a duplexer switches off the receiver to prevent the pulse from killing the sensitive receiver. With increased range the turning rate of the antenna has to slow down to get enough hits at max range until the update frequency is insufficient and the pulse energy exceeds appropriate limits - among other things.

All a pilot has to do is get a chart with all ATC radar sites and draw a circle of their max range around them. Once beyond their max range he can switch off (or STBY) the transponder and the target with attached label will remain on the air traffic controller´s scope just until the next update for the tracking computer, then it disappears. If the pilot then returns back into primary radar range all ATC gets is an unidentified echo without altitude or call sign. And if the return is done via a different position it is almost impossible to correlate this echo with that particular aircraft.

Tin foil hats can now safely be removed.

- retired ATCO with 36 yrs of service -

UPDATE:

AFTER COUP

Decision on next Cobra Gold exercise not expected soon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The United States is still reviewing its Cobra Gold defence drill with Thailand but a final decision on the military exercise is not expected soon.

Thailand has hosted the annual military exercise with the US and many Asian countries since 1982.

But Washington said it would consider relocating it to another country after the Thai military launched a coup to topple the civilian government on May 22.

As long as no decision has been made, the status of Cobra Gold is still under consideration, a US Embassy source said.

A senior military officer told The Nation that the US had asked Thailand to join Cobra Gold as usual next year.

The junta then asked the US to explain in writing why they wanted to have the joint drill with Thailand after they had threatened to exclude its treaty partner, the source said.

The US Embassy has made no official comment on the report but an official said there was normal communications between the military of both sides while the policy is still intact.

Scot Marciel, deputy assistant secretary of state, said last month that the Obama administration was required by law to review military cooperation with Thailand after the coup.

Washington has suspended more than US$4.7 million of security-related assistance. High-level engagements, exercises and some training programmes with the military and police were cancelled.

The CARAT (Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) bilateral naval exercise and Hanuman Guardian army exercise were also suspended.

The US had also cancelled Thailand's invitation to a maritime warfare practice in Hawaii in June.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Decision-on-next-Cobra-Gold-exercise-not-expected--30238507.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-15

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I may be wrong here but aren't the military going to be very busy over the coming months, perhaps a little too busy for distractions like this ?

This is great! What a great post assuming that you mean the Thai military dictatorship is far too busy to attend to "military" affairs. Right?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is great! What a great post assuming that you mean the Thai military dictatorship is far too busy to attend to "military" affairs. Right?

They're busy doing the job of reforming the country. I'm speculating that maybe they they're too busy to bother themselves with mere training exercises at the moment.

Scot Marciel, deputy assistant secretary of state, said last month that the Obama administration was required by law to review military cooperation with Thailand after the coup.

What's their policy regarding governments they overthrow or have overthrown by proxy???? What does the law state then?

• Like 2

The one who going to suffer is Thailand not the US. The US military can go anywhere to train. They need us more than we need them. Vietnam and Cambodia are also other options.

I'm curious. How exactly will Thailand suffer? And why does Thailand need the US?

• Like 2

Another...in a series of US foreign policy blunders...trying to dictate to a sovereign nation how to run their country...the US...IMO...needs Thailand more than Thailand needs the US...Thailand is a strategic location in SE Asia...would not be good if US gets booted out...and China takes up the slack...Thailand seems to be leaning more to cooperation with the Chinese...than the US...Thailand is looking out for THEIR best interests...

The one who going to suffer is Thailand not the US. The US military can go anywhere to train. They need us more than we need them. Vietnam and Cambodia are also other options.

I'm curious. How exactly will Thailand suffer? And why does Thailand need the US?

Take a look at where the vast majority of Thai military hardware comes from ...

OK, and . . . ?

The equipment was "purchased" in the past (not given), and it will be purchased in the future . . . IF Thailand chooses to continue using US equipment rather than any other country's offerings (there's plenty of military equipment to purchase out there . . . think China or Russia for example). And let's not forget, the USA will sell to anyone if they have the cash.

So, back to my original question . . . How exactly will Thailand suffer? And why does Thailand need the US?

• Like 1

Thailand won't suffer from this. But as usual the US administration acted with little foresight by stopping this exercise, by telling Prayuth he is not welcome. As a result of this, Thailand will cooperate closer with China and Myanmar and hold more frequent military exercises with them. And that's just the opposite of what the US wanted. And that's why they have asked Thailand to continue with the military exercises next year. Now obviously Prayuth will think twice before doing this given all the hostility he faced from the US administration. Maybe the US ambassador plays a role in this debacle as well. The

• Like 2

OK, and . . . ?

The equipment was "purchased" in the past (not given), and it will be purchased in the future . . . IF Thailand chooses to continue using US equipment rather than any other country's offerings (there's plenty of military equipment to purchase out there . . . think China or Russia for example). And let's not forget, the USA will sell to anyone if they have the cash.

So, back to my original question . . . How exactly will Thailand suffer? And why does Thailand need the US?

I would suggest it will hurt Thailand in several ways if there is a noticeable shift towards China.

Cobra Gold is just a declaration of a US Thai alliance

economic blackmail by the US & it's western partners.

Probably US stating the Thai military is supporting Al-Qaeda

There's already JSOC,CIA,NGO's in Thailand on the ready to disrupt Thailand's stability.

Already phone tapping,government computer hacking etc.

Thailand will probably have no choice but to "dance with the devil" & have to make amends with the US & continue with Cobra Gold.

Ahh..... the fine act of balancing between being politically correct and geopolitics.

Officially it looks like the Thai military is kept waiting.

The truth is more likely tied to mutual interests and will not be apparent for our scrutiny like so many G2G dealings.

Business as usual.

Don't take it too serious about what the current regime in the USA has to say about the coup in Thailand. Things will get back to normal once this POS POTUS leaves office. That is as long as the people vote for someone that actually has the ability to restore the USA to what it once was. The current regime in Washington D.C., including John (the lurch) Kerry, should keep it's nose out of Thailand's business.

Well, this POTUS has led the USA on a path slightly more sophisticated than your nostalgic past; tanks, warships, fighter planes are all easily outclassed by the simple little drone.

Seems the might military machine may as well be parked up at home while the playstation soldiers fight the real battle. At one tenth of the current obscene military spending...

As stated:

"It was a very bad, stupid mistake by the US, lets hope it doesn't get compounded by letting China get a real foothold here".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really!

Don't you know that China already has a foothold throughout Thailand... For example: Look at Thailand's Telecom Network Infrastructure. All 3G service hardware equipment installed for AIS, TRUE Move, and DTAC is all made by Huawei (Chinese) company. There are thousands of Chinese workers in Thailand supporting these efforts everyday. And btw (by-the-way) on more than one occasion it's been reported that the CEO/owner have Chinese Military ties. Additionally, CAT and TOT have 3G equipment installed in their networks.

I didn't know that. But it explains why the service is so lousy.