Tens of thousands of guns to be destroyed Tuesday: Bangkok

webfact

WEAPONS
Tens of thousands of guns to be destroyed Tuesday

BANGKOK: -- Around 34,000 guns seized by police and used as evidence in court trials over the past 13 year would tomorrow be sent to Bangkok Steel Industry Plc in Samut Prakarn province to be destroyed.

Acting national police chief Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit said the haul consists of 21,950 pistols and 12,400 long-barrel guns.

Somyot said only 5 per cent of the guns seized as evidence were used by the state and none of the guns to be destroyed were seized during political rallies.

Police also fixed the parts of some ceased guns to other guns and no seized guns had been destroyed in the past 15 years until tomorrow.

Police had earlier denied allegations that they recycled for display guns and weapon seized during the National Council for Peace and Order crackdown in order to give a distorted impression of the number of seizures.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Tens-of-thousands-of-guns-to-be-destroyed-Tuesday-30238463.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-14

Shoddy , shoddy , shoddy, the standard set by the Thai police is on show for all to see, it takes fifteen years for the force to destroy thousands of lethal weapons, one thing is for sure, you are not the smartest cookie in the jar, one wonders just where these weapons were stored.bah.gif

Shoddy , shoddy , shoddy, the standard set by the Thai police is on show for all to see, it takes fifteen years for the force to destroy thousands of lethal weapons, one thing is for sure, you are not the smartest cookie in the jar, one wonders just where these weapons were stored.bah.gif

Maybe, the good and expensive ones have been 'recycled' already by friendly police officers, and it are just the rubbish 34,000 going to be destroyed?

• Like 2

"one wonders just where these weapons were stored"

Don't worry, when they open the warehouse tomorrow they will discover that 33,999 weapons are missing.

The 1 left will be displayed in a museum as an example of super police effort to fight crimethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"Somyot said only 5 per cent of the guns seized as evidence were used by the state and none of the guns to be destroyed were seized during political rallies." -

What?

"Police also fixed the parts of some ceased guns to other guns and no seized guns had been destroyed in the past 15 years until tomorrow."

What?

Kinell.. am I reading this correctly? blink.png

• Like 1

Presumably his is the Somyot referred to and presumably he is out on bail waiting appeal.

On 23 January 2013, the Criminal Court found Mr. Somyot Prueksakasemsuk guilty of offences under Section 112 of the Thai Criminal Code, or the so-called lèse-majesté law, for spreading false information to incite hatred toward the monarchy. His sentence was based on his conviction on two counts related to two articles he published in the Voice of Taksin magazine in 2010.

Read more http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/media-center/14/31975-The-Thai-Criminal-Court%E2%80%99s-Ruling-on-Mr.-Somyot-Pru.html

"one wonders just where these weapons were stored"

Don't worry, when they open the warehouse tomorrow they will discover that 33,999 weapons are missing.

The 1 left will be displayed in a museum as an example of super police effort to fight crimethumbsup.gif

The Farang Fantasy Factory just keeps blowing smoke 24/7 in a dismal attempt at puerile humor.

Smokestacks-CC-Matthew-Parsons-2009.jpg

• Like 1

I did raise a wry smile at this comment ...

"Police had earlier denied allegations that they recycled for display guns and weapon seized during the National Council for Peace and Order crackdown in order to give a distorted impression of the number of seizures."

... whistling.gif

Does anyone seriously believe that they are going to destroy the good weapons that have real value? After all of these years I seriously doubt that good weapons are still there.

Suppose they are all of average but good quality basic brand name guns. In Thailand those would be worth at least US$1500 (48K baht.) Maybe more.

Destroy 34,000 of them? My head is spinning. I*do*not*believe*it.

• Like 1

well Govt could simply service the arms to operational condition and give them law enforcement agencies to use or sell them to public via auction and only those who got proper arms license can but them.

Thinking of rice warehouse stock that mysteriously evaporated with the years?

Does anyone seriously believe that they are going to destroy the good weapons that have real value? After all of these years I seriously doubt that good weapons are still there.

Suppose they are all of average but good quality basic brand name guns. In Thailand those would be worth at least US$1500 (48K baht.) Maybe more.

Destroy 34,000 of them? My head is spinning. I*do*not*believe*it.

Did anyone or any news agency actually witness this event? It has since taken place since the article was published, yes?

• Like 1