No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

Its about time they stopped these stupid and expensive forced border runs for visas such as Non Imm 'O' when a simple visit to the nearest Immigration office would do just as well.

There's a gap in the visa runner - extension system due to the fact that you can still get a non-imm o without proof of funds, but need to show $$ for an extension. This forces some to run the border with a non-imm o. Making that gap smaller and clearing the path to a PR would be the correct solution.

Unfortunately all I can see is tightening of the current rules, not streamlining the process to become a legal resident. A signal from the junta that they'll revise the immigration procedures would be comforting.

It is known if those who were denied entry and told to fly back into Thailand from Malaysia would be using their tourist visas at the airport or just getting the 30 day stamp?

I am planning to go to Laos for a second Double Entry tourist visa at the start of August before the next clampdown and am able to come in via land or airport.

I only have one double entry tourist visa which I am on now, no visa exempt stamps etc.

I have a flight home for November, hotel booking and am able to show cash, will I have a problem at the border, either land or airport?

Does any of these changes mean that people with back-to-back Tour visas from several years ago, but who currently have a Tourist Visa already and go to immigration for the 30-day extension of the visa will have problems getting the 30 day extension of their Tourist Visa at local immigration offices?

There are no announcements, no reports, and no rumors about that.

Of course one can always start start speculating, for no purpose,

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Ok. But I doubt this new rule has much intelligence in it. In my case, Thailand will lose 100% on it.

I am enrolled at my university in Denmark. I have 1,600 USD/month in grant and a bit of students loan. I live most of the year in Thailand, submitting 90% of the papers over the internet. In other words, I have managed to take a Danish degree while living 10+ months a year in Thailand.

And now? If I cannot stay here at the basis of visa runs (I go to KL once a month, pretty cheap flight)?

Listen, please: I get my money from Denmark. I take these money from Denmark and put directly into the Thai economy. It is a 100% win situation for Thailand. It is totally legal, I follow all rules, I never do anything bad here, etc. So, the question is: why do Thailand want me to go back to my home country and use my money there?

Thus the lack of intelligence from these politicians. Honestly, it has been my thought, over the past couple of years, that this planet would be better off without politicians at all. They only create problems or short-sighted solutions that will later turn out actually to be more of a problem than a solution.

Look at the West. How is it going there? There should be a law against politicians and politics.

Hmm sorry but your 50k a month is not going to make a ripple on the Thai economy.

Why not go to Oz, or USA and do this? Cannot get a visa? Too expensive?

Lets face it Thailand became the Dollar store of countries when it comes to cost of living, and visa leniency - sure they don't want to remain there.

An ocean is made by many droplets of water.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in this situation, 99% of them never do anything bad in Thailand. Just spend their money.

The truth is the govt. is looking for a scapegoat to divert the attention from national problems. What better scapegoat of the so much hated farangs ? Sure, we are the cause of all bad in Thailand. yes, take that pill of the truth and feel reliefed. After all long term tourists will leave and go spend their money in Malaysia, Thailand will be happy and prosper again.

Here's the thing, I don't believe there are 100s of thousands of people abusing the visa system in this way, more likely a tenth of that.

Even so, most of them are honest law abiding types and would fall into line and stay for the maximum they are allowed - just as before - except now they may not spend as much.

The real problems are caused by illegal workers and overstayers.

In addition, long stayers of all types are seldom hotel guests and have long since tired of the tourist sites etc. so are not contributing directly to tourism at all.

Thailand will remain a desirable destination, especially so for the many who are breaching the law to stay already.

Isn't it well known that if something is more expensive, it becomes more desirable?

No limit

What is important is how long you stayed, and which way you used to stay.

Can you elaborate please? I still don't understand.

Many farangs consider that the "normal" way to use a Touristic visa is to use it at its max: 60 days mini, + maybe 30 days extension. But some people use it differently: by example come in for 5 weeks, do a trip in a nearby country for a few weeks, come back for 5 weeks, etc. You could probably use 6-8 Tourist Visas in one year without problem with Immigration.

• Like 1

Too many posters intent on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Too many posters asking questions that nobody can answer.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Too many posters with a lack of perspective.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

• Like 1

i have a been a tourist in thailand for about 3 years,the last 3 years.i won lottery(or sort of) so i could stay long time with ordinary stamps(30 days) or 2 entries tourist visas(180 days) and i did not need to work

i rented an apartment in bangkok and when i was bored i went somewhere else,few days or 1 week or so(i went everywhere in thailand)

i am too young for retirement i am 33.i like to be single and having fun.sometime i went out of thailand(Bali,Hcm city,Tokyo or Vientiane) few days to apply for a tourist visa or just a 30 days stamp

i took a flight (nok air promotion) from don muang to hua hin i was the only passenger haha i had a short talk with the cabin crew about it

me " what the.."

cabin crew "we think our boss made a mistake"

the transfer from hua hin airport to town was free lol

anyway,i thought to take 1 more year holiday or so from october/november

but i cant do that anymore,right?the immigration will see my passport and assume i am an illegal worker

You could consider spending your holiday studying a bit thai, and get a 1 year ED visa which will be around 30.000 baht for both visa and school. I won't recommend to get ED visa for studying thai, and skip school though, because they does sometimes check up on you if you attend your class or interview you when you make your 90 day report.

crystal ball. Perhaps they'll selectively apply rules to Russians, Koreans, nigerians

ok then

so now if i want to apply for a 2 entries tourist visa in my country,in europe

just thinking,i get it then i book a flight to bangkok about 600 or 700 euros

what if the immigration at Suvarhabum airport sees all my stamps and not let me in?

If you are worried about that, why not get a new passport while in Europe ?

you suggest me to lie to the police here in order to get a new passport.you guys seem to forget that genuine tourists bring money to Thailand.and long time tourists like me bring more money.i paid not less than 3000 baht per night for accomodation only...when i was not in Bangok(2 weeks per month more or less)

To all the people on here making negative comments to those who are now facing some major difficulties. I want to see your face when your condo price drops in half and your investment condos sit empty..... Maybe too those owning a house through a company gets it taken away as it is not legal to own... Your time is coming !

I am fine with my visa but feel a little sad for some people. This country provided a loophole and people took advantage ( doing nothing wrong) and after investing money and time here are now left outside the system. It was not really their fault. I think Thailand is doing a very bad service to many people.... Karma will take its revenge on Thailand....

You're wishing revenge on Thailand for simply enforcing its own immigration laws? Perhaps karma will get back at you for your insidious attitude.

No any law changed, no any law more enforced.... only the rules changed. You know, just like in the underlaw world.

Five years ago all the expats here I knew were here for life - now many are working out their escape plans (not all the same people) - fact is, as far as I can tell, a lot of people here (Thailand not just TV) have seen the terrible decline in Thailand from all angles ( violence, litter, scams, violent crime, burglary, muggings and theft, political violence (like never before - even in 73 it was very localised and short lived), xenophobia bordering on hatred, police indifference and scamming, and so much more ) and it continues to decline and we continue to take the brunt of their xenophobic scapegoating. People will be looking elsewhere in future and people already here that can leave, are thinking long and hard about doing just that. Me included - in fact I am working towards it right now, not back home, somewhere else warm and more welcoming.

Yeah, I too am checking up on my exit plans, in case there's a real purge. Doesn't hurt to have plans from B to Z. I think the probability of them changing the marriage extension rules to ones that won't suit me are very low, but I'm quite adverse to getting caught with my pants down.

This kind of insecurity, even if there is no real basis for it other than an emerging trend, will affect the decision process of people. Condo project being built/planned might take the first hit.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

• Like 1

i have a been a tourist in thailand for about 3 years,the last 3 years.i won lottery(or sort of) so i could stay long time with ordinary stamps(30 days) or 2 entries tourist visas(180 days) and i did not need to work

i rented an apartment in bangkok and when i was bored i went somewhere else,few days or 1 week or so(i went everywhere in thailand)

i am too young for retirement i am 33.i like to be single and having fun.sometime i went out of thailand(Bali,Hcm city,Tokyo or Vientiane) few days to apply for a tourist visa or just a 30 days stamp

i took a flight (nok air promotion) from don muang to hua hin i was the only passenger haha i had a short talk with the cabin crew about it

me " what the.."

cabin crew "we think our boss made a mistake"

the transfer from hua hin airport to town was free lol

anyway,i thought to take 1 more year holiday or so from october/november

but i cant do that anymore,right?the immigration will see my passport and assume i am an illegal worker

You could consider spending your holiday studying a bit thai, and get a 1 year ED visa which will be around 30.000 baht for both visa and school. I won't recommend to get ED visa for studying thai, and skip school though, because they does sometimes check up on you if you attend your class or interview you when you make your 90 day report.

crystal ball. Perhaps they'll selectively apply rules to Russians, Koreans, nigerians

Hehe, i personally wouldn't rely on a crystal ball every time i had to make a visa run. Same reason why i after 6 months here decided to go for a "proper" visa, i didn't want to be a nervous wreck every time i had to cross that border and not know if i could go back to what i currently would consider as "home".

The article is silent about those that obtain a one year O-A from outside the country, and then make 90 day border runs. What about them? There are 100's or even thousands of foreigners that have homes here and live here full time that do that. Why? Maybe not married or not 50 or don't have 800,000 baht in the bank.

Will somebody with an OA still be allowed to do 90 border runs?

I am happily married, love my wife and family and have a marriage extension. But sometimes I think if it were not for my wife and family I would just get out of here. They do not make it easy even for the people who try fo comply with the laws and seriously want to live here. Seems that after one has been here ten years, is married, stable, no problems with the law and reasonably contributes to the community that there should be some short and inexpensive road to permanent residency.

My sister is an ex-pat in the Dominican Republic. She has permanent residency just for the asking, they treat her like a citizen and almost everybody speaks English! None of these problems. Here a farang always seems to be an "outsider" in the eyes of the government. Most Thais have no idea what we deal with. I am often asked if I will become a Thai citizen. Yeah, right, maybe if i died and came back reincarnated as Yingluck.

That's easy to understand...ever seen the bush on a Dominicana? If it's so,great there, why did you move to Thailand? What's so difficult about living on a marriage extension...get your initial non-imm O, slap 400k in a bank, and you're good to go!

Except that Immigration stated that they target mainly Vietnamese and Russian... :rollese:

Except so far there is no sign that Immigration is forgiving toward everyone else. Here's a quote from the yesterday's thread about people who were refused entry with tourist visas:

" The countries of origin of the 8 refused foreigners include the UK, Italy, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and New Zealand."

ok then

so now if i want to apply for a 2 entries tourist visa in my country,in europe

just thinking,i get it then i book a flight to bangkok about 600 or 700 euros

what if the immigration at Suvarhabum airport sees all my stamps and not let me in?

If you are worried about that, why not get a new passport while in Europe ?

you suggest me to lie to the police here in order to get a new passport.you guys seem to forget that genuine tourists bring money to Thailand.and long time tourists like me bring more money.i paid not less than 3000 baht per night for accomodation only...when i was not in Bangok(2 weeks per month more or less)

blink.pngfacepalm.gif

Where in my Post did I tell you to LIE to the Police ??? I just said "If you are worried, why not get a new passport while in Europe"

Edited by MJCM

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

What part of "you're not allowed by law to be in Thailand as tourist for 1 year" didn't you get?

Stop acting like you're entitled to be here as tourist, or be here at all, and get a proper visa <deleted>.

You do not need to lie, it's a voluntary replacement. For example, It is common to get a new passport because you want to travel to a country that doesn't like you went to another certain country before.

The flaming about "free travelers" you get here is normal, old/married/self-important people needing to vent their frustration all the time, just have a laugh.

• Like 1

Guys why all the bickering and insults. It's simple. Thailand no longer wants the type of tourist that stays here indefinitely. The reasons are simple. The majority of these people usually work without permits or commit crimes. Thailand has really never been taken seriously in the international community. Harbouring fugitives from other countries, fake passport hub, lax and corrupt border controls and the list goes on. The Junta wants to clean everything up. Please stop with all this. Thailand is I hope turning into a normal country because for far too long everything has been backwards here. Yes for the people that lived and depended on the old way things were done in Thailand, the transition will be difficult. I firmly believe that all the expats with legitimate reasons for being here will be able to find the proper visa to stay. Ed visa to study, tourist visa for holiday, business visa to work, retirement visa to retire, investment visa to own part of the Thai economy,dependent visa If you have a child, a marriage visa if you are married. This is the way a normal country works.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

here comes the genius

whats my visa?

Staying in "a" country for a year is not considered to be tourism. Sorry.

• Like 1

here comes the genius

whats my visa?

Thailand Easy Access program for 500k baht

You do not need to lie, it's a voluntary replacement. For example, It is common to get a new passport because you want to travel to a country that doesn't like you went to another certain country before.

The flaming about "free travelers" you get here is normal, old/married/self-important people needing to vent their frustration all the time, just have a laugh.

Exactly, every time I go back to my Home Country I get a New Passport and it's not even close to expiry date.

Nothing to do with lying.

A lot of people are going to lose a lot. Including Thais. This is baby with bath water on steroids. Too inflexible and done too fast. It would be OK if there were now easier "real" visas, work permits, including legalization of online freelancing, etc. But there is not. On the condo market, no kidding, this is really bad for places like Pattaya. Cause and effect clearly not well considered on this one.

having lived in pattaya for over 20 years i dont know any condo owner that is a visa runner.

False.... under 50 year old age ( I don't worked, I dont leartn thai, I had no thai wife... I was just a long term tourist: Only relax and spending my money ) no any other options to stay in the country for longer time, than the 3 entry tourist visa ( visa runs ) Now it seems illegal, despite the law says it is still legal.... BTW I own 3 condo and planned to buy a 4th... Under the new " visa lottery " I changed my mind...

If you are that wealthy as you say (already have 3 condos and thinking of buying another one) why don't you spend the 500K to get the Thailand Elite Easy Access Card ? Or is that too expensive ?

Easier to make now the retirement visa.... BTW you support a kind of brigand / blackmail mentality.... dropped out from the corner and ask to pay to walk....And yes... too expensive for the nothing...

Ok. But I doubt this new rule has much intelligence in it. In my case, Thailand will lose 100% on it.

I am enrolled at my university in Denmark. I have 1,600 USD/month in grant and a bit of studen7ts loan. I live most of the year in Thailand, submitting 90% of the papers over the internet. In other words, I havue managed to take a Danish degree while living 10+ months a year in Thailand.

And now? If I cannot stay here at the basis of visa runs (I go to KL once a month, pretty cheap flight)?

Listen, please: I get my money from Denmark. I take these money from Denmark and put directly into the Thai economy. It is a 100% win situation for Thailand. It is totally legal, I follow all rules, I never do anything bad here, etc. So, the question is: why do Thailand want me to go back to my home country and use my money there?

Thus the lack of intelligence from these politicians. Honestly, it has been my thought, over the past couple of years, that this planet would be better off without politicians at all. They only create problems or short-sighted solutions that will later turn out actually to be more of a problem than a solution.

Look at the West. How is it going there? There should be a law against politicians and politics.

Hmm sorry but your 50k a month is not going to make a ripple on the Thai economy.

Why not go to Oz, or USA and do this? Cannot get a visa? Too expensive?

Lets face it Thailand became the Dollar store of countries when it comes to cost of living, and visa leniency - sure they don't want to remain there.

An ocean is made by many droplets of water.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in this situation, 99% of them never do anything bad in Thailand. Just spend their money.

The truth is the govt. is looking for a scapegoat to divert the attention from national problems. What better scapegoat of the so much hated farangs ? Sure, we are the cause of all bad in Thailand. yes, take that pill of the truth and feel reliefed. After all long term tourists will leave and go spend their money in Malaysia, Thailand will be happy and prosper again.

Here's the thing, I don't believe there are 100s of thousands of people abusing the visa system in this way, more likely a tenth of that.

Even so, most of them are honest law abiding types and would fall into line and stay for the maximum they are allowed - just as before - except now they may not spend as much.

The real problems are caused by illegal workers and overstayers.

In addition, long stayers of all types are seldom hotel guests and have long since tired of the tourist sites etc. so are not contributing directly to tourism at all.

Thailand will remain a desirable destination, especially so for the many who are breaching the law to stay already.

Isn't it well known that if something is more expensive, it becomes more desirable?

Mr Denmark. If you don't want to pay 30,000 baht for ED visa malaysia will give you unlimited free 90 day visa and 16 baht rice vege curries. If you want hookers, cambodia or vietnam.

Five years ago all the expats here I knew were here for life - now many are working out their escape plans (not all the same people) - fact is, as far as I can tell, a lot of people here (Thailand not just TV) have seen the terrible decline in Thailand from all angles ( violence, litter, scams, violent crime, burglary, muggings and theft, political violence (like never before - even in 73 it was very localised and short lived), xenophobia bordering on hatred, police indifference and scamming, and so much more ) and it continues to decline and we continue to take the brunt of their xenophobic scapegoating. People will be looking elsewhere in future and people already here that can leave, are thinking long and hard about doing just that. Me included - in fact I am working towards it right now, not back home, somewhere else warm and more welcoming.

Yeah, I too am checking up on my exit plans, in case there's a real purge. Doesn't hurt to have plans from B to Z. I think the probability of them changing the marriage extension rules to ones that won't suit me are very low, but I'm quite adverse to getting caught with my pants down.

This kind of insecurity, even if there is no real basis for it other than an emerging trend, will affect the decision process of people. Condo project being built/planned might take the first hit.

this is really true.this crackdown comes in a very wrong time,rising of crime and military coup

maybe who stands proud now,in 5 years will cry "omg what did i do" while Myanmar will laugh

i wish

<snip>

Easier to make now the retirement visa.... BTW you support a kind of brigand / blackmail mentality.... dropped out from the corner and ask to pay to walk....And yes... too expensive for the nothing...

You Sir, need to read up on the rules for extensions a stay based on retirement as in an a earlier post you stated

under 50 year old age ( I don't worked, I dont leartn thai, I had no thai wife... I was just a long term tourist: Only relax and spending my money ) no any other options to stay in the country for longer time, than the 3 entry tourist visa

For the past many years, you haven't been allowed by law to be tourist more than 180 days doing 360 days.

false.... only if you arrived without any visa.... With the proper visa ( for example 3 entry tourist visa ) you can still stay 9 months in the country by the law. It's not the long term tourists abuse the law....if you understand what I say...

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

It's not immigration splitting up families, it's people who got married and sired offspring without the financial means to support a family; and who knew all along what the minimum requirements were to live such a life in Thailand. In addition, nobody is splitting anybody up, anyone in this situation can do the responsible thing and decamp back to Farangland and get job to support his family (or get on benefits).

You are obviously an AH who has noooooooooooo idea about folks lives and problems that might occur to hit finances. Folk like you make me sick, living in farangland dribbling on your keyboard.............Grow up, or wait till something kicks you into your real world.........coffee1.gif

Sorry to pour water on your flame but I've been living in Thailand, legally I might add, for going on 15 years.

As to my point, any man who doesn't have 400,000 baht to his name has no business living overseas, let alone getting married and/or having children. And as I said, nothing prevents these Lotharios from either getting off their butts and getting a job in Thailand or taking the family with them back to Blighty (or wherever).

• Like 2

<snip>

You Sir, need to read up on the rules for extensions a stay based on retirement as in an a earlier post you stated

under 50 year old age ( I don't worked, I dont leartn thai, I had no thai wife... I was just a long term tourist: Only relax and spending my money ) no any other options to stay in the country for longer time, than the 3 entry tourist visa

And I do it and did it in the past. I'm talking not about my own problems. ( for example guys under 50 ) I just have some empathy.... what is missing from the pompous smug's posts...

Guys why all the hostility. It's simple. Thailand does not want any more long term tourists. The Junta is cleaning everything up. Most of these people with long term tourist visas end up working or committing crimes. The few that are legitimate long term tourists or have mobile jobs can find the proper visa to stay here. If you are on holiday then get a tourist visa, if you want to study for real get an ED visa. If you want to retire here get the retirement visa. If you qualify and want to work here or do business get a business or non B visa. If you have a child get a dependent visa. If you are married get a marriage visa. If you want to invest money get an investment visa. There are so many options. I don't know any country that supports back to back tourists with no gap between leaving and re entering the country. This new law will force everyone to be more legitimate, even the lazy teaching agencies and schools who take too long to process paperwork.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

here comes the genius

whats my visa?

What part of "you're not allowed by law to be in Thailand as tourist for 1 year" didn't you get?

Stop acting like you're entitled to be here as tourist, or be here at all, and get a proper visa <deleted>.

what part of the double or triple tourist visa until passport is full you dont understand?

i have my second passport right now

the first one was full of thai tourist visas,and chinese japanese indonesian cambodian laotian malaysian australian singaporean stamps/visas

i travel i have no intention of work..can you understand?for 1 year i mean going out of the country sometimes as the law says!

Edited by kaobang