No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

So you are saying that people with multiple non O-A and non O visas will be stopped if used back to back. No way I belive that

im saying id not be taking that chance atm with the lack of detail and the immigration njubs at some land border not the way they interpret things as they wish sometimes no.

m8 ive been refused at south land border 5 or 6 years ago with a triple multi when they messed about with the penang embassy issues on a stupid crackdown only i got mine in the UK and had been for a couple of years already then so dont tell me it cant happen. wai.gif

If they can refuse people with legit embassy issued 60 days they can refuse a back to back multi or say someone who has been using that method over and over, they are clearly as much abusing the visa system to stay, why not, because you dont like that possibility or think thats fair or you dont think that land border immigration arnt that stupid ?

I didn't say that it cannot happen, but ED is a proper visa and not to be a part of this crackdown.

Also as i wrote, you wont have to go over border to make visa run with ED visa, you can get so you just make 90 report at immigration office.

It is no longer a legit visa, if you been tourist in Thailand for more than the allowed days per year, as before this, maximum 180 days every 360 day. In such case, you're not entitled to be able to make visa run and receive 30 extra upon the 60 day tourist visa.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, you don't have to give me reasons or excuses for why not to do it, that is up to you. I simply just tell what could be a solution for you to stay 1 year, which is not allowed as tourist.

even tourist visas were not supposed to be part of this crackdown,but they are

What the heck are you talking about? The scheme is directly meant to be a crackdown on tourist visa border runners. SMH.

Edited by Iumentum

I'm on double entry tourist visa spending a week in Vietnam and arriving back to Thailand on 14th for second half of my visa.

Wonder how this will go. I don't have any back to back visas in my passport, and I don't have any visa exemptions. I do have multiple double entry tourist visas over many years. Visa was acquired from home country, not a border country in Asia.

you'll be fine. youre not doing an Out/In

How do you define Out/In though? I'll be in Vietnam for 7 days. Is Out/In about people who cross back the same day? 1 day? 3 days? 1 week?

I wish the immigration rules were clearer.

It depends on the mood of the inmigration officier. One friend was refused entry awhile ago , than he did a different queue and the other officier let him go without any hassle.

It's a lottery. Thailand is a country of a permanent lawlessness.

You get a double or multiple entry and leave to come right back in its a NO GO as THAT IS BACK TO BACK that means your holiday winters are out and your condo is only useable for 30 days and NOT that lovely multiple entry visa you were issued back home...

You understand that ALL multiple entry visas if used back to back either by land or an airport can now be refused and very possibly will be ... with all your stuff stuck in Thailand and poss your air ticket home or route out of swampy too

If you take extended hols here, say retired and have a condo your now stuffed if you have a family you spend time with for any more than 30 days your stuffed unless you leave and go tour around another country while out here... yea great use of the time when your here to spend your winters or dont get to see family every year so do a 6 weeker or more. How about your family coming to spend the winter with you or a few months on a multiple entry which btw is LEGAL and carries no info on back to back ? they are also stuffed now... think about it you people who think its so great they "enforcing things" they really are messing this one up. ... or maybe you dont have any family who want to spend more than 30 days with you.. rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

Parties over unless your on a work visa or retirement or a married visa...an ED or a package or 30 day max stay... anything else and your winging it.... ive sent this thread and another to all people I know... I suggest you do the same before some get badly caught out and maybe worse, stranded at some border.

So you are saying that people with multiple non O-A and non O visas will be stopped if used back to back. No way I belive that

im saying id not be taking that chance atm with the lack of detail and the immigration njubs at some land border not the way they interpret things as they wish sometimes no.

m8 ive been refused at south land border 5 or 6 years ago with a triple multi when they messed about with the penang embassy issues on a stupid crackdown only i got mine in the UK and had been for a couple of years already then so dont tell me it cant happen. wai.gif

If they can refuse people with legit embassy issued 60 days they can refuse a back to back multi or say someone who has been using that method over and over, they are clearly as much abusing the visa system to stay, why not, because you dont like that possibility or think thats fair or you dont think that land border immigration arnt that stupid ?

I didn't say that it cannot happen, but ED is a proper visa and not to be a part of this crackdown.

Also as i wrote, you wont have to go over border to make visa run with ED visa, you can get so you just make 90 report at immigration office.

It is no longer a legit visa, if you been tourist in Thailand for more than the allowed days per year, as before this, maximum 180 days every 360 day. In such case, you're not entitled to be able to make visa run and receive 30 extra upon the 60 day tourist visa.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, you don't have to give me reasons or excuses for why not to do it, that is up to you. I simply just tell what could be a solution for you to stay 1 year, which is not allowed as tourist.

im fine with a visa that is annual extended now and have been for years after my experience just saying it can happen and has. Ed visas although fine atm reporting in country. I think it will be the next loophole closed though as many are using it to stay and they are well aware of that.

Will this affect Lao freelancers ,who work in Pattaya and do 30 day visa runs at Vientienne. A work permit for hookers r us lol

That would be a bummer...some of my favorite pattaya ladyboys are Lao girls.

So far, the Laos I know from Pattaya and Bangkok have still been getting their 30-day in-out stamp at the Cambodian border. Not sure how long this will last!

I would guess that if they can no longer get a 30-day stamp, most will overstay rather then return to 'nothing' in Laos.

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

It's not immigration splitting up families, it's people who got married and sired offspring without the financial means to support a family; and who knew all along what the minimum requirements were to live such a life in Thailand. In addition, nobody is splitting anybody up, anyone in this situation can do the responsible thing and decamp back to Farangland and get job to support his family (or get on benefits).

You are obviously an AH who has noooooooooooo idea about folks lives and problems that might occur to hit finances. Folk like you make me sick, living in farangland dribbling on your keyboard.............Grow up, or wait till something kicks you into your real world.........coffee1.gif

• Like 2

You are a very unique case...that is unfortunately caught up in this... not very many people fit your situation that is for sure. But you are also clearly not a tourist here either, you live here so they want you on some more permanent stay option. They don't really have a Visa class to fit your situation. It is very similar to a financially secure under 50 year old person who is single. You are not married to a Thai, so no O Visa/Extension based on Marriage. You are not over 50, so no O Visa/Extension of Stay based on Retirement. You are not working, so no B Visa/Extension based on employment. You can't use Tourist Visa's and extensions to remain indefinitely either. The only option that is now available in that situation is to go for a Non Immigrant Education Visa/Extension and attend classes in Thailand for something. Learn Thai, as previously posted you can get the classes and Visa setup done for something like 30K Baht which is what you spend now on Visa run flights every month. The requirements are to attend class 4 hours a week I believe, not that stressful and could be fun.

Ok. But I doubt this new rule has much intelligence in it. In my case, Thailand will lose 100% on it.

I am enrolled at my university in Denmark. I have 1,600 USD/month in grant and a bit of students loan. I live most of the year in Thailand, submitting 90% of the papers over the internet. In other words, I have managed to take a Danish degree while living 10+ months a year in Thailand.

And now? If I cannot stay here at the basis of visa runs (I go to KL once a month, pretty cheap flight)?

Listen, please: I get my money from Denmark. I take these money from Denmark and put directly into the Thai economy. It is a 100% win situation for Thailand. It is totally legal, I follow all rules, I never do anything bad here, etc. So, the question is: why do Thailand want me to go back to my home country and use my money there?

Thus the lack of intelligence from these politicians. Honestly, it has been my thought, over the past couple of years, that this planet would be better off without politicians at all. They only create problems or short-sighted solutions that will later turn out actually to be more of a problem than a solution.

Look at the West. How is it going there? There should be a law against politicians and politics.

even tourist visas were not supposed to be part of this crackdown,but they are

Where does it say tourist visas are part of the crack down?

A tourist visa held for non valid tourism reasons by what is termed a visa runner may well be used as evidence against the person as part of the crack down, but not the actual tourist visa itself.

From what I understand the genuine use of a tourist visa (or any other visa for that matter) is exactly what immigration are aiming for.

The abuse of the tourist visa by continuously using them to reside in Thailand for very extended periods (like living here) is what they do not want.

• Like 1

Ok. But I doubt this new rule has much intelligence in it. In my case, Thailand will lose 100% on it.

I am enrolled at my university in Denmark. I have 1,600 USD/month in grant and a bit of students loan. I live most of the year in Thailand, submitting 90% of the papers over the internet. In other words, I have managed to take a Danish degree while living 10+ months a year in Thailand.

And now? If I cannot stay here at the basis of visa runs (I go to KL once a month, pretty cheap flight)?

Listen, please: I get my money from Denmark. I take these money from Denmark and put directly into the Thai economy. It is a 100% win situation for Thailand. It is totally legal, I follow all rules, I never do anything bad here, etc. So, the question is: why do Thailand want me to go back to my home country and use my money there?

Thus the lack of intelligence from these politicians. Honestly, it has been my thought, over the past couple of years, that this planet would be better off without politicians at all. They only create problems or short-sighted solutions that will later turn out actually to be more of a problem than a solution.

Look at the West. How is it going there? There should be a law against politicians and politics.

Hmm sorry but your 50k a month is not going to make a ripple on the Thai economy.

Why not go to Oz, or USA and do this? Cannot get a visa? Too expensive?

Lets face it Thailand became the Dollar store of countries when it comes to cost of living, and visa leniency - sure they don't want to remain there.

An ocean is made by many droplets of water.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in this situation, 99% of them never do anything bad in Thailand. Just spend their money.

The truth is the govt. is looking for a scapegoat to divert the attention from national problems. What better scapegoat of the so much hated farangs ? Sure, we are the cause of all bad in Thailand. yes, take that pill of the truth and feel reliefed. After all long term tourists will leave and go spend their money in Malaysia, Thailand will be happy and prosper again.

And i want a Mercedes, but we can't always get what we want. It's clear that by law it's not allowed to be tourist in Thailand for 1 year, simple as that.

yeah every month of every 3 months going out of the country of course

Ill be watching this with interest ,

Im a frequent visitor ( once a year holidayer )

That is eyeing off an early retirement there perhaps one day , mainly because ill have to work untill im 70 here in Aus ,

If they are clamping down on the visa runners now , who knows how much more clamping down will be done in other areas like retirement visas in the near future .

And i want a Mercedes, but we can't always get what we want. It's clear that by law it's not allowed to be tourist in Thailand for 1 year, simple as that.

yeah every month of every 3 months going out of the country of course

For the past many years, you haven't been allowed by law to be tourist more than 180 days doing 360 days.

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

It's not immigration splitting up families, it's people who got married and sired offspring without the financial means to support a family; and who knew all along what the minimum requirements were to live such a life in Thailand. In addition, nobody is splitting anybody up, anyone in this situation can do the responsible thing and decamp back to Farangland and get job to support his family (or get on benefits).

Not true. Back to back visa exemptions via airports was perfectly acceptable up until now. That used to be the minimum requirement; to be able to afford plane tickets in and out of Thailand.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in this situation,

100'000s ? Where are they ? None among people I know...

What better scapegoat of the so much hated farangs ?

Except that Immigration stated that they target mainly Vietnamese and Russian... :rollese:

• Like 1

Hmm sorry but your 50k a month is not going to make a ripple on the Thai economy.

Lets face it Thailand became the Dollar store of countries when it comes to cost of living, and visa leniency - sure they don't want to remain there.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in this situation, 99% of them never do anything bad in Thailand. Just spend their money.

The truth is the govt. is looking for a scapegoat to divert the attention from national problems. What better scapegoat of the so much hated farangs ? Sure, we are the cause of all bad in Thailand. yes, take that pill of the truth and feel reliefed. After all long term tourists will leave and go spend their money in Malaysia, Thailand will be happy and prosper again.

What national problems, things are looking much better at the moment than they did 2 months ago.

Regarding the rest of your post, sorry, IMO just drivel.

ok then

so now if i want to apply for a 2 entries tourist visa in my country,in europe

just thinking,i get it then i book a flight to bangkok about 600 or 700 euros

what if the immigration at Suvarhabum airport sees all my stamps and not let me in?

I have a triple entry tourist visa of which my 1st entry is due to expire. I am due to go to the border this Thursday to activate the 2nd entry. I have 2 previous back to back tourist visas in my passport. I had planned on doing the Bangkok visa run to the Cambodian border.

Are they already enforcing this at the Northern borders or just in the South. Or will this begin only after August 12th?

In short...am I likely to be refused re-entry at the land border this Thursday, given my situation or will I be ok this time around?

I don't think there has been any reports of problems on the northern borders, so i think you will be ok before 12th August.

Thanks. I hope so. I have to try I suppose. I thought the very least would be that they would let all current visas expire and just not issue another one to those who have exceeded their limits. I certainly wasn't expecting this.

Even though I know that you aren't guaranteed entry with a visa,I'd expect to be refused at the embassy before I'd paid for my flight , planned my trip and paid my well earned money to the Thai embassy for a visa which isn't valid

Lots of people have being refused entry even with valid tourist visas. Visas issued in Malaysia, but still regular Thai visas.

Starting from 12 August they can turn people back at the airports with valid visas too, I read some stories already, one american guy had a tourist visa and arriving by air and he was questioned a lot at the airport (not sure if they let him entry or not). Another friend of mine from Switzerland tried to enter via visa extemption at the airport, he was refused , he made another queue and he was allowed.

Everything is upon the mood of the inmigration officier. They can refuse you even if you have everything clean if they are in a bad mood.

This is Thailand.

ok then

what if the immigration at Suvarhabum airport sees all my stamps and not let me in?

If you are worried about that, why not get a new passport while in Europe ?

Except that Immigration stated that they target mainly Vietnamese and Russian... :rollese:

Oh really ???

Italians, Americans, Swiss being REFUSED ENTRY WITH VALID TOURIST VISA.

Everybody is targeted.

I just wonder why he would even want to be here, if he feel so much hated.

• Like 1

It will be enforced for a few months, then like all the other vocal cannon fodder we've become accustomed to....it will slowly return to par for the course.

With The General in command these few months may stretch to a couple of years until a newly elected government takes over.

• Like 1

What national problems, things are looking much better at the moment than they did 2 months ago.

Regarding the rest of your post, sorry, IMO just drivel.

When you wake up from your dream, tell me....

Anyone know how the border at Nong Khai is operating? Looking at doing one more Visa run to Laos/Vientiane for a Tourist visa so I can buy a one way ticket outta this place but can't afford it at the moment. Need another month to save up enough cash. Have had one Tourist visa already. Hoping it should be okay as most of the border crossings mentioned are down south

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So how many tourist visas are tourists allowed per year?

No limit

What is important is how long you stayed, and which way you used to stay.

Can you elaborate please? I still don't understand.

Do any of these changes mean that people with back-to-back Tour visas from several years ago, but who currently have a Tourist Visa already and go to immigration for the 30-day extension of the visa will have problems getting the 30 day extension of their Tourist Visa at local immigration offices?

Edited by ILOOKFORWORK

Oh really ???

Italians, Americans, Swiss being REFUSED ENTRY WITH VALID TOURIST VISA.

Everybody is targeted.

Read previous articles on the subject,

and please notice the "mainly" in my sentence...

BTW I forgot one country :

The MAIN targets for illegal workers in Thailand

are from Vietnam, Russia... and Korea.

ok then

I really don't think you get the point of this crackdown. So much in your comments clearly show that you fail to understand the purpose of it.

But still, you are NOT allowed by law to be tourist for 1 year, and haven't been for a very long time. if you want to stay that long, then get a proper visa, because you're not entitled to be here that long on a tourist visa.

Edited by Iumentum

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

+ 1 but not to some

+ 1 yes. However, most visa runs require at least one night outside Thailand.

Will returning to Thailand after 24 hours be considered returning immediately? It seems to be.

What is clear is that Thai immigration wants to prevent multiple in-out trips for the sole purpose of extending stay, whether it is an exempt 15/30 day entry or a 60 day entry with a tourist visa.

I think that border agents will scrutinize the visa and entry history of each person, ask a few questions, and make a decision based on that. If this is the case then the longer one spends outside Thailand the better.

The quoted line from The Nation story, "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay," is not a statement from an Immigration Department official, but an interpretation of what a "Via Runner" is by who ever wrote the article for The Nation -- hardly interpretative legal authority. And even if it was made by an Immigration Department official, it would be his opinion and would not represent the position of Department and how the rule/policy will be interpreted/enforced. The issue is, as several posters have indicated, is the meaning, both as a rule and as enforced, of the word "immediate" (or "in sufficiently close proximity in time to the departure", which is equally as (actually more) likely, since no one with authority (at least not in the article) used the word "Immediate". And perhaps the rule on what is an "IN-Out trip" will be determined/enforced differently at different border crossings and on the circumstances of each person attempting to re-enter Thailand, as perhaps it should be. Certainly, persons leaving and returning to the Kingdom on the same day are very likely to be seem as taking an "In-Out trip", as are those leaving and entering on consecutive days and perhaps within a 48 or 72 hour period. Any of these trips could easily (and correctly) viewed as "Visa Runs" and justify a In-Out stamp. What the final rule is on this will need to be seen, as it certainly is not clear/obvious at this point.

Hopefully, none of the above posters (other than 96tehtarp) attempts to practice law, Thai or otherwise, unless they have substantial malpractice insurance in place, and the premiums fully paid.