No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

<snip>

Easier to make now the retirement visa.... BTW you support a kind of brigand / blackmail mentality.... dropped out from the corner and ask to pay to walk....And yes... too expensive for the nothing...

You Sir, need to read up on the rules for extensions a stay based on retirement as in an a earlier post you stated

under 50 year old age ( I don't worked, I dont leartn thai, I had no thai wife... I was just a long term tourist: Only relax and spending my money ) no any other options to stay in the country for longer time, than the 3 entry tourist visa

And I do it and did it in the past. I'm talking not about my own problems. ( for example guys under 50 ) I just have some empathy.... what is missing from the pompous smug's posts...

So the Condo's you say you have is also about someone else ?

Edit 1: Added Link - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742834-no-more-thai-visa-runs-immigration-will-not-let-visa-runners-return-after-aug-12/page-18#entry8102764 -

Edited by MJCM

For the past many years, you haven't been allowed by law to be tourist more than 180 days doing 360 days.

false.... only if you arrived without any visa.... With the proper visa ( for example 3 entry tourist visa ) you can still stay 9 months in the country by the law. It's not the long term tourists abuse the law....if you understand what I say...

That is not correct. Just because you have the entry to get the days, doesn't mean that you as tourist by law are allowed to be that long. The number of entry has nothing to do with the days maximum allowed by law.

Does any of these changes mean that people with back-to-back Tour visas from several years ago, but who currently have a Tourist Visa already and go to immigration for the 30-day extension of the visa will have problems getting the 30 day extension of their Tourist Visa at local immigration offices?

There are no announcements, no reports, and no rumors about that.

Of course one can always start start speculating, for no purpose,

Yeah... just seems things have been changing every two weeks and there is no date given.. I asked because I already have the plane tickets for the flight home scheduled to be in line with a 30-day extension. Thanks

Too many posters intent on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Too many posters asking questions that nobody can answer.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Too many posters with a lack of perspective.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

What part of "you're not allowed by law to be in Thailand as tourist for 1 year" didn't you get?

Stop acting like you're entitled to be here as tourist, or be here at all, and get a proper visa <deleted>.

what part of the double or triple tourist visa until passport is full you dont understand?

Up to you to try, but don't whine when you're standing at the border and will be refused to get back in.

Guys why all the bickering and insults. It's simple. Thailand no longer wants the type of tourist that stays here indefinitely. The reasons are simple. The majority of these people usually work without permits or commit crimes. Thailand has really never been taken seriously in the international community. Harbouring fugitives from other countries, fake passport hub, lax and corrupt border controls and the list goes on. The Junta wants to clean everything up. Please stop with all this. Thailand is I hope turning into a normal country because for far too long everything has been backwards here. Yes for the people that lived and depended on the old way things were done in Thailand, the transition will be difficult. I firmly believe that all the expats with legitimate reasons for being here will be able to find the proper visa to stay. Ed visa to study, tourist visa for holiday, business visa to work, retirement visa to retire, investment visa to own part of the Thai economy,dependent visa If you have a child, a marriage visa if you are married. This is the way a normal country works.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

cambodia, laos, philippines, malaysia is the old Thailand. Residents on tourist visas. Time to find a new home

Up to you to try, but don't whine when you're standing at the border and will be refused to get back in.

so its fine for you if the consulates give tourist visa and the border guards deny entries?

• Like 1

ok then

so now if i want to apply for a 2 entries tourist visa in my country,in europe

just thinking,i get it then i book a flight to bangkok about 600 or 700 euros

what if the immigration at Suvarhabum airport sees all my stamps and not let me in?

I really don't think you get the point of this crackdown. So much in your comments clearly show that you fail to understand the purpose of it.

But still, you are NOT allowed by law to be tourist for 1 year, and haven't been for a very long time. if you want to stay that long, then get a proper visa, because you're not entitled to be here that long on a tourist visa.

Indeed. You Dind't understand his question.

he wants to go to Thailand with a regular double entry visa to spend 2+2 months but he is wondering if his PAST visa run BEFORE (years before) might affect him somehow . Got it ?

He did nothing wrong, because visa run were not illegal before. If he has never worked or studied in Thailand and was just partyng,swimming, snorkelling, bitching, whatever, he was a tourist. Now he can't do the same thing, but he want to go with a regular visa. Does his past historial of border runs affect him now ?

• Like 1

so its fine for you if the consulates give tourist visa and the border guards deny entries?

I don't think it's fine for anyone, but they (read Thai Government ) makes the rules and as you can see they are inconsistent.

Able to get a TR Visa 1,2,3 Entry but (it seems that you are) not able to use all Entries. I hope that in the future (after August 12th) it becomes clearer.

Edited by MJCM

Again, seems like you don't get the point of this crackdown. This is not to stop you at the border with a fresh new visa giving by a consulate. It's to stop people who continuously has been making border runs, as an example if they have been here for 5 months, then go to Laos and get 2 months tourist visa which can be extended further. They shouldn't disallow you to enter with the fresh visa, but if you try to extend it after those 2 months, then you have been here 7 months, and for a good reason they should reject your entry as a tourist.

Just because you get a visa with extra entry, doesn't mean that you are allowed or entitled to use that entry and be here more than the maximum days allowed by law.

For the past many years, you haven't been allowed by law to be tourist more than 180 days doing 360 days.

false.... only if you arrived without any visa.... With the proper visa ( for example 3 entry tourist visa ) you can still stay 9 months in the country by the law. It's not the long term tourists abuse the law....if you understand what I say...

That is not correct. Just because you have the entry to get the days, doesn't mean that you as tourist by law are allowed to be that long. The number of entry has nothing to do with the days maximum allowed by law.

Please a link, how many days the law allows....The LAW says you can stay as long as your permit stamp allows you. The law also says you get 60 days on your arrival and 30 days the extention.... anything else I missed ?

i have a been a tourist in thailand for about 3 years,the last 3 years.i won lottery(or sort of) so i could stay long time with ordinary stamps(30 days) or 2 entries tourist visas(180 days) and i did not need to work

i rented an apartment in bangkok and when i was bored i went somewhere else,few days or 1 week or so(i went everywhere in thailand)

i am too young for retirement i am 33.i like to be single and having fun.sometime i went out of thailand(Bali,Hcm city,Tokyo or Vientiane) few days to apply for a tourist visa or just a 30 days stamp

i took a flight (nok air promotion) from don muang to hua hin i was the only passenger haha i had a short talk with the cabin crew about it

me " what the.."

cabin crew "we think our boss made a mistake"

the transfer from hua hin airport to town was free lol

anyway,i thought to take 1 more year holiday or so from october/november

but i cant do that anymore,right?the immigration will see my passport and assume i am an illegal worker

You could consider spending your holiday studying a bit thai, and get a 1 year ED visa which will be around 30.000 baht for both visa and school. I won't recommend to get ED visa for studying thai, and skip school though, because they does sometimes check up on you if you attend your class or interview you when you make your 90 day report.

crystal ball. Perhaps they'll selectively apply rules to Russians, Koreans, nigerians

Hehe, i personally wouldn't rely on a crystal ball every time i had to make a visa run. Same reason why i after 6 months here decided to go for a "proper" visa, i didn't want to be a nervous wreck every time i had to cross that border and not know if i could go back to what i currently would consider as "home".

I like being a nervous wreck. It cures my boredom. What I can't understand is why people think Thailand is the only country in the world. I believe there are almost 300 countries. Some talk highly of Nepal.

ok then

so now if i want to apply for a 2 entries tourist visa in my country,in europe

just thinking,i get it then i book a flight to bangkok about 600 or 700 euros

what if the immigration at Suvarhabum airport sees all my stamps and not let me in?

I really don't think you get the point of this crackdown. So much in your comments clearly show that you fail to understand the purpose of it.

But still, you are NOT allowed by law to be tourist for 1 year, and haven't been for a very long time. if you want to stay that long, then get a proper visa, because you're not entitled to be here that long on a tourist visa.

Indeed. You Dind't understand his question.

he wants to go to Thailand with a regular double entry visa to spend 2+2 months but he is wondering if his PAST visa run BEFORE (years before) might affect him somehow . Got it ?

He did nothing wrong, because visa run were not illegal before. If he has never worked or studied in Thailand and was just partyng,swimming, snorkelling, bitching, whatever, he was a tourist. Now he can't do the same thing, but he want to go with a regular visa. Does his past historial of border runs affect him now ?

I did understand him, but our conversation is much longer and he want to be here as tourist for one year, which i try to explain him that is by law not allowed as tourist, hence why he should get a proper visa.

All he does is making a lot of different "what if" as he did when i suggested a ED visa, he also just said "what if".

I already explain that fresh visa should not be rejected, however, he should not rely on entry makes him entitled to enter Thailand again.

Looks like a lot of foreigners are either leaving or will have to get married, have a child or get a retirement visa.

... or will need to obtain a work permit if working.

I would suspect that companies currently refusing to obtain work permits for their foreign employees may find that they now need to secure proper permits if they are to have any employees at all.

You could consider spending your holiday studying a bit thai, and get a 1 year ED visa which will be around 30.000 baht for both visa and school. I won't recommend to get ED visa for studying thai, and skip school though, because they does sometimes check up on you if you attend your class or interview you when you make your 90 day report.

crystal ball. Perhaps they'll selectively apply rules to Russians, Koreans, nigerians

Hehe, i personally wouldn't rely on a crystal ball every time i had to make a visa run. Same reason why i after 6 months here decided to go for a "proper" visa, i didn't want to be a nervous wreck every time i had to cross that border and not know if i could go back to what i currently would consider as "home".

I like being a nervous wreck. It cures my boredom. What I can't understand is why people think Thailand is the only country in the world. I believe there are almost 300 countries. Some talk highly of Nepal.

When i first came here i wasn't to worried about that either, because yes there is many places around here where i get 1 to 3 months visa on arrival. But, those that this will affect is those who consider Thailand their home and live here. But, if that is the case, then it should affect them, because you shouldn't be living here on tourist visa.

So when i started to feel home, and actually have a home here, it was a little too much excitement for me to cross that border, lol

Not wanting to state the obvious, but there is a Thai immigration hotline #1111 to answer any concerns on visa extensions/requirements.

Also TAT can be reached on #1672. I'm sure if all long-term genuine tourists were to bombard TAT with their concerns somebody somewhere might click and raise the issue with immigration directly. Could be an effective lobby for concerned people.

You should know: Are you a genuine tourist with no intention to live in Thailand? Yes? You are OK smile.png

If they are genuine tourists that's fine. But if we believe they are not tourists, they will not be readmitted into Thailand.

We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas]. We will not let them in.

• Like 1

I did understand him, but our conversation is much longer and he want to be here as tourist for one year, which i try to explain him that is by law not allowed as tourist, hence why he should get a proper visa.

All he does is making a lot of different "what if" as he did when i suggested a ED visa, he also just said "what if".

I already explain that fresh visa should not be rejected, however, he should not rely on entry makes him entitled to enter Thailand again.

i applied and got an ed visa

personally,it was so stressful...i had to get out of the kingdom

they changed teachers many times

the location of my school burned(fico place in asok)

not to mention the recent stricter requirements

i just want to be a tourist,in thailand 1 year or 2 years or even 10 years

every 3 months getting out of the country,of course,to apply for a new tourist visa

To turn up on the border in a visa run van is plain stupid even with a tourist embassy issued visa. A fool and his visa is soon parted lol. Were the 8 turned back on border with visa using visa run van

Edited by ilocos

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Pretty clear to you? Great. so enlighten us, what is immediately? One day, one week, one month? Someone who takes a sabbatical and wants to stay one year in Thailand with back to back double entries, how long between the two visas please? I look forward to your response.

You should know: Are you a genuine tourist with no intention to live in Thailand? Yes? You are OK smile.png

If they are genuine tourists that's fine. But if we believe they are not tourists, they will not be readmitted into Thailand.

We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas]. We will not let them in.

what if the tourist has many stamps but he is a genuine tourist?

• Like 1

A lot of people are going to lose a lot. Including Thais. This is baby with bath water on steroids. Too inflexible and done too fast. It would be OK if there were now easier "real" visas, work permits, including legalization of online freelancing, etc. But there is not. On the condo market, no kidding, this is really bad for places like Pattaya. Cause and effect clearly not well considered on this one.

Why would Immigration be concerned about the expat condo market when issuing a directive to enforce the rules?

Condo prices drop, then legitimate expats and Thais swoop in buy at reduced prices. No real net loss to the local Thai economy.

• Like 1

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Pretty clear to you? Great. so enlighten us, what is immediately? One day, one week, one month? Someone who takes a sabbatical and wants to stay one year in Thailand with back to back double entries, how long between the two visas please? I look forward to your response.

If you have valid tourist visas they will not stop you, you will not have a problem

They want to cut out the people abusing the 15 / 30 visa exempt stamps

If you have valid tourist visas they will not stop you, you will not have a problem

They want to cut out the people abusing the 15 / 30 visa exempt stamps

they did.read around

• Like 1

i applied and got an ed visa

personally,it was so stressful...i had to get out of the kingdom

they changed teachers many times

the location of my school burned(fico place in asok)

not to mention the recent stricter requirements

i just want to be a tourist,in thailand 1 year or 2 years or even 10 years

every 3 months getting out of the country,of course,to apply for a new tourist visa

When i got my ED visa, i was told i had to get it from Singapore (i think it was, it's long time ago), so i wouldn't have to make visa run, but just had to get stamp at immigration office every 90 days. But still, it was just a suggestion.

I understand what it is you want, but you should not expect to be able to do so. No one is to be considered tourist for 10 years, heck not even 2.

You can do this, if you every 3rd month stay outside Thailand long enough, for this not to become an issue.

Anyway, this is about visa run, and not about fresh obtained visa. This should not effect if you go to embassy outside Thailand and get a tourist visa. What it can effect is if you get tourist visa with multiple entry, because they can refuse you to make use of that entry.

But just that you want to stay here longer than 6 months, should make you consider getting a proper visa with multiple entry so you can get in and out without issues.