No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

I am not on ED visa anymore, i was for 3 years where i did start to get nervous, because after 3 years on ED visa is where this could give issues extending it.

Reason why i did when i suggested, recommend not to skip classes (which is 4 hours per week i think), is that you might have an immigration officer check up on you, or interview you at your 90 reporting at immigration office, to see if you can speak the language after studying it for a while.

But of course i am afraid that some kind of crackdown will make it difficult for me to stay here, because i got responsibilities here. And it is a shame that some people abusing the system is making it difficult for people who are not here on tourist visa and working.

So....YOU abused the system with your ED visa for 3 years and now you moaning about to abuse the system... by the others.

BTW... who abuse the system ? You throwing out what the law allows and what the law don't allows... Your resources ? Where is it written who is a tourist and who is not ? Please quote some numbers, regulations, laws.... not only your asumptions, prejudices....

Where did i abuse the system? I did attend my classes and studying the language. Stop making such assumptions without knowing anything at all. Because non in what i wrote indicate that i abused the system.

Also, i am not moaning about people want to be here as tourist for long time, what i do say is that people should not expect and feel entitled to do so.

Use google, there is plenty of informations about what the law say, problem is just that it haven't been uphold.

You're are the one assuming here you numb-nutt, saying that i have abused the system!?!

Yo wrote:

" because after 3 years on ED visa is where this could give issues extending it. "

You moaning, just because you scared to lose your pricviledges... Why not to expect it, if it is legal and issued by a thai embassy ? Because someone - let it be you or the immigration officer has a bad day - just think so ?

I'm not Mr Google and you try to show yourself as the knows it all person... so please justify with some legal sources your rants.... ( a note for yourself: you are not the thai law )

Immigration and many here can't see past the small expat community facepalm.gif

I lived in a villa complex in Samui, at least half the villas were rented to owners of seasonal businesses and retirees spending the winter months in Thailand. They stayed with two back to back tourist visas. Retirement visas are not an option, they are not retiring in Thailand. They are tourists enjoying winter months in the sun.

They now either have to cut their stay by half, or more likely, head for the Caribbean.

yes I am in the same situation. Just like HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who want to spend a seasonal holiday AND ONLY HOLIDAY in Thailand.

They will all be affected , so they will go to spend their money in another country. 99.9% of this people gives no hassle at all, they help local communities.

But whenever i tried to say that, I was attacked in this forum. It seems like people who wants to spend more than 1 or 2 months holiday are considered all criminals, drug dealers, illegal teachers, etc etc.

Come on and open your eyes, how many people want to skip the harsh winter and spend it in the tropics ? Millions, and millions and millions, this is not an hyperbole, some hundreds of thousands of them do it in Thailand ....or did it.......

just go to Hua Hin, 90% of people there spend the winter away from Scandinavia...

Double entry tourist visa will give 6-months ... how many people under retirement age go on vacation longer than 6-months? For that matter even more than 3-months for a single tourist visa?

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Pretty clear to you? Great. so enlighten us, what is immediately? One day, one week, one month? Someone who takes a sabbatical and wants to stay one year in Thailand with back to back double entries, how long between the two visas please? I look forward to your response.
its obviously subjective. Each immigration officer will have his own idea of coming back too soon by looking at how many exempt entries & visas you've had. Guys at border can decide if you were given visa in error at embassy as has happened.

So there are no rules.

Complete and absolute lawlessness.

The perfect receipt for scaring millions tourists away and cause an economic collpase.

I bet in few months many Thais will be crying and bankrupted .

I have a 5 months seasonal holiday between November to March. If I suspect i will be refused at the airport, i can decide to spend my 30K euros in a neighbour country. I am nothing. But Hundreds of thousands of people in the same situation (winter holiday) summed altogether plus the ripple effect in the economy.....well..... it will be a bad blow to Thailand....welcome to the country where tourists are unwelcomed....go away farang, go to spend your money in Cambodia, we don't want you more than 30 days in your lifetime !

• Like 1

... They stayed with two back to back tourist visas. Retirement visas are not an option, they are not retiring in Thailand. They are tourists enjoying winter months in the sun.

As Immigration said "If they are genuine tourists that's fine". No problem.

Retirees and business owners spending the winter in Thailand usually come only to Thailand and have passports FULL of tourist stamps. Including back to back.

There is no clear rules like, "you need a return ticket" "maximum stay of 6 months per rolling year" etc.

So then what? It depends on the immigration officer's mood and if his mia noi sent him a cute I heat you Line sticker?

Edited by firestar

I lived in a villa complex in Samui, at least half the villas were rented to owners of seasonal businesses and retirees spending the winter months in Thailand. They stayed with two back to back tourist visas. Retirement visas are not an option, they are not retiring in Thailand. They are tourists enjoying winter months in the sun.

They now either have to cut their stay by half, or more likely, head for the Caribbean.

yes I am in the same situation. Just like HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people who want to spend a seasonal holiday AND ONLY HOLIDAY in Thailand.

They will all be affected , so they will go to spend their money in another country. 99.9% of this people gives no hassle at all, they help local communities.

But whenever i tried to say that, I was attacked in this forum. It seems like people who wants to spend more than 1 or 2 months holiday are considered all criminals, drug dealers, illegal teachers, etc etc.

Come on and open your eyes, how many people want to skip the harsh winter and spend it in the tropics ? Millions, and millions and millions, this is not an hyperbole, some hundreds of thousands of them do it in Thailand ....or did it.......

just go to Hua Hin, 90% of people there spend the winter away from Scandinavia...

Double entry tourist visa will give 6-months ... how many people under retirement age go on vacation longer than 6-months? For that matter even more than 3-months for a single tourist visa?

Double entry visa guarantees NOTHING. A bad mood inmgration officier can still turn me away because he had a bad night with his wife/mistress/gf.

There are no rules at all. Everything upon the mood of the world's moodiest people.

Very welcoming indeed ! Plan your vacation, buy your tickets, pay for your visas and than pray to be the lottery winner and be allowed the green light to pass the inmigration ! Green light ? Red light ? take a bet !

Edited by max72

I am not on ED visa anymore, i was for 3 years where i did start to get nervous, because after 3 years on ED visa is where this could give issues extending it.

Reason why i did when i suggested, recommend not to skip classes (which is 4 hours per week i think), is that you might have an immigration officer check up on you, or interview you at your 90 reporting at immigration office, to see if you can speak the language after studying it for a while.

But of course i am afraid that some kind of crackdown will make it difficult for me to stay here, because i got responsibilities here. And it is a shame that some people abusing the system is making it difficult for people who are not here on tourist visa and working.

So....YOU abused the system with your ED visa for 3 years and now you moaning about to abuse the system... by the others.

BTW... who abuse the system ? You throwing out what the law allows and what the law don't allows... Your resources ? Where is it written who is a tourist and who is not ? Please quote some numbers, regulations, laws.... not only your asumptions, prejudices....

Where did i abuse the system? I did attend my classes and studying the language. Stop making such assumptions without knowing anything at all. Because non in what i wrote indicate that i abused the system.

Also, i am not moaning about people want to be here as tourist for long time, what i do say is that people should not expect and feel entitled to do so.

Use google, there is plenty of informations about what the law say, problem is just that it haven't been uphold.

You're are the one assuming here you numb-nutt, saying that i have abused the system!?!

Yo wrote:

" because after 3 years on ED visa is where this could give issues extending it. "

You moaning, just because you scared to lose your pricviledges... Why not to expect it, if it is legal and issued by a thai embassy ? Because someone - let it be you or the immigration officer has a bad day - just think so ?

I'm not Mr Google and you try to show yourself as the knows it all person... so please justify with some legal sources your rants.... ( a note for yourself: you are not the thai law )

Just because after 3 years it can a fact be an issues to extend the visa, doesn't mean i abused it.

And it's quite clearly written in peoples passport who are tourist and who aren't, question is just who are more than just a tourist as written in their passport.

90 days in/90 days out - 180 days in/180 out is far from a new law and easy to find information about. You want me to google it for you?

¨

What privileges are you talking about that i should lose? Again you're making assumptions, just as you assumed that just because i was aware that extending ED visa after 3 years and decided to change for something else, made me abuse the system. Get your head out of your..... please!

You wan't me to start assuming here? Ok then, i guess you have an issue, because you cannot get a proper visa and work permit for the bar which you have in your lady friends name. I guess you have an issue, because you are one of those who will be affected by this crackdown. Get a proper visa dude..... How is that for assumptions?

Edited by Iumentum

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

I have a non-imm type 0 visa because my daughter, an Australian citizen only, is half thai. I have never had to show bank account details or verify my income to get this. I am her Australian mother, and her thai father is listed on her birth certificate. See my other post in this thread for more details. My daughter is now 6 and I have had no problems getting the annual multi-entry visa since she was born, even though I am not married to her father. So I don't see how it can split up families? Or do foreign fathers of thai children have to prove their income to be in the kingdom? Hardly seems fair... it was my understanding that all parents of thai children will be granted visas to enable them to be in Thailand to care for their children if they have the right proof of parentage... not just a child's foreign mother.

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Pretty clear to you? Great. so enlighten us, what is immediately? One day, one week, one month? Someone who takes a sabbatical and wants to stay one year in Thailand with back to back double entries, how long between the two visas please? I look forward to your response.
its obviously subjective. Each immigration officer will have his own idea of coming back too soon by looking at how many exempt entries & visas you've had. Guys at border can decide if you were given visa in error at embassy as has happened.

So there are no rules.

The perfect receipt for scaring millions tourists away and cause an economic collpase.

I have a 5 months seasonal holiday between November to March. If I suspect i will be refused at the airport, i can decide to spend my 30K euros in a neighbour country. I am nothing. But Hundreds of thousands of people in the same situation (winter holiday) summed altogether plus the ripple effect in the economy.....well..... it will be a bad blow to Thailand....welcome to the country where tourists are unwelcomed....go away farang, go to spend your money in Cambodia, we don't want you more than 30 days in your lifetime !

Hello Spain, Greece, Italy...

Don't you Europeans have enough playgrounds, where you have sun, women and drink?

No visa hassles, and you can work online?

What is it about this country that is so fantastic?

Surely not just the exchange benefit...

Or do foreign fathers of thai children have to prove their income to be in the kingdom? Hardly seems fair... it was my understanding that all parents of thai children will be granted visas to enable them to be in Thailand to care for their children if they have the right proof of parentage... not just a child's foreign mother.

Yes. 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht/month income. Only applies to foreign males.

No it's not "fair", but if we start complaining, all the immigration will do is to require the same from women too. Can't be used as any kind of leverage.

EDIT: I'm writing about the extensions of stay while in Thailand. Not sure about visa requirements.

Edited by DrTuner

... They stayed with two back to back tourist visas. Retirement visas are not an option, they are not retiring in Thailand. They are tourists enjoying winter months in the sun.

As Immigration said "If they are genuine tourists that's fine". No problem.

Retirees and business owners spending the winter in Thailand usually come only to Thailand and have passports FULL of tourist stamps. Including back to back.

There is no clear rules like, "you need a return ticket" "maximum stay of 6 months per rolling year" etc.

So then what? It depends on the immigration officer's mood and if his mia noi sent him a cute I heat you Line sticker?

Exactly. Absolute no rules at all. Visa abusers will still abuse the system,with ED visas for people who are not studying anything, business visa for people doing no business, retiree visas for people who are also working and struggling to get their 800K THB , marriage visas for people who has not lived with their spouses for years,etc .... while genuine tourists will be scared away, because nobody likes to depend his vaction on the mood of an officier.

This will be the result of this crackdown. The destruction of the tourism industry is kicking off. Not a single problem of Thailand will be solved. Instead many more will be added.

• Like 2

Too many posters intent on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Too many posters asking questions that nobody can answer.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Too many posters with a lack of perspective.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

It's your only choice, but, hey, if you have a lot of money................

Double entry visa guarantees NOTHING. A bad mood inmgration officier can still turn me away because he had a bad night with his wife/mistress/gf.

There are no rules at all. Everything upon the mood of the world's moodiest people.

Very welcoming indeed ! Plan your vacation, buy your tickets, pay for your visas and than pray to be the lottery winner and be allowed the green light to pass the inmigration ! Green light ? Red light ? take a bet !

What in the world are you babbling about ... do you really need to live in fantasy land to find reasons to whine? Lots of real things to whine about than applying for a visa that will be processed within 24-hours and doesn't require you submit paid travel plans.

Any country in the world you can be refused entry by borders officers regardless if you have a valid visa. A normal person wouldn't ever need to worry about this but somebody looking for problems it may effect.

I think things will be back to normal within a year or two, after the election. Too much money will be lost like this, I think they are underestimating the amount of money these people spend in the tourism industry. For me, I just think Thailand will be a bit more boring than usual, a lot of younger people gone. Will be a bit like a geriatric ward.

It is quite insane for a tourist country like thailand to not let people who have the money to stay there without working, stay as long as they want.

So there are no rules.

Don't you Europeans have enough playgrounds, where you have sun, women and drink?

Exactly ! That s what i am talking about.

The motto is " are you a genuine tourist ? do you want to spend your winter vacation in Thailand ? don't you have any problem or illegal activity and you come solely to spend your money ? Go away , hated farang ! Go to Greece, Caribbeans, go away ! in Thailand we don't want tourists ! "

You just said that !

Very smart indeed. You should propose it to the Tourism Department of Thailand. "Go away, farang !" slogan

It is quite insane for a tourist country like thailand to not let people who have the money to stay there without working, stay as long as they want.

I'm sure if they figure out a way to ensure you're not working you'd be welcome to stay as long as you want. But the only way to be sure you're not working is to have an immigration officer keep on eye on you 24/7/365. Not practical. So they've taken the approach we see now.

While it may seem pretty clear to you, I wonder how it will be 'interpreted' by many of the border agents??

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

this looks good

but the part about visa run to be done every 365 days..does not change that visa runs are not allowed anymore

i am checking, In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

Edited by kaobang

here comes the genius

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

this looks good

i am checking, In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

Apology accepted.

Most tourists have onward or return travel documentation. Produce this and I imagine you will have no problems. 28 day on/off workers also have onward documentation and payslips, so I see no problem. When the dust has settled those with legitimate multi-entry tourist visas will have no problem. Those that will have the problem are the visa runners abusing the 28 day tourist visa exemption scheme. Well hard luck boys and girls, get legitimate!

I agree with this.

Come with a triple entry,return flight,bank statement and stay 60 days.

Leave to another country for xx days and come back for the next 60 days.

Repeat again for 60 days then go home.(Using a double TR and extending both COULD cause problems when using the 2nd entry.maybe maybe not as this is allowed)

This will not be back to back as it is just 1 visa.

However if you had 3 or more 28 days exempts(back to back),then tried to get a double TR and came back they probably would refuse entry.

If you used a triple or double,and then went to get another (back to back) and came back they probably would refuse entry.

The main crackdown seems to be multiple 28 day exempts back to back,and back to back TR's.(understandable)

Speculation and mis-translation is not helping the situation.

• Like 2

my condolences. You must have collided with the somnamna gang. No need to worry - they exist on a different orbit 555

Apology accepted.

wait it says visa runs every 365 days..but visa runs are not allowed anymore lol

20000 baht per year sounds good if i just need a visa run per year

Edited by kaobang

I think things will be back to normal within a year or two, after the election. Too much money will be lost like this, I think they are underestimating the amount of money these people spend in the tourism industry. For me, I just think Thailand will be a bit more boring than usual, a lot of younger people gone. Will be a bit like a geriatric ward.

Firstly, the same people are welcome to come and spend their vast fortunes, just over a shorter time period.

Secondly, if majority of tourists today are real tourists like backpackers and generally young, how on earth is Thailand going to be like a geriatric ward? If anything you will get to meet true tourists who have not sought out the cheapest place to stay without working - people with real careers and responsibilities, or at the ambition to achieve this.

And finally, money - so as you have money you are deemed to be a respectable, decent person who deserves to live off a country's weak exchange rate. How does anyone know how you acquired this 'money'. Criminals have lots of it too...

here comes the genius

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

this looks good

i am checking, In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elites Privilege Entry Visa.

Apology accepted.

Thailand elite visa - perfect for the Russian mafia so they don't need to take a break from blowing off heads.
  • Like 1

Exactly ! That s what i am talking about.

The motto is " are you a genuine tourist ? do you want to spend your winter vacation in Thailand ? don't you have any problem or illegal activity and you come solely to spend your money ? Go away , hated farang ! Go to Greece, Caribbeans, go away ! in Thailand we don't want tourists ! "

You just said that !

Very smart indeed. You should propose it to the Tourism Department of Thailand. "Go away, farang !" slogan

Nobody said they (you) are not welcome, just don't overstay that welcome.

Go home. Come back next year. If 90 days is insufficient - so what?

I'm sure if they figure out a way to ensure you're not working you'd be welcome to stay as long as you want. But the only way to be sure you're not working is to have an immigration officer keep on eye on you 24/7/365. Not practical. So they've taken the approach we see now.

Problem is people assume those working illegally in Thailand are on Tourist visas. Every single unregistered Bar/Restaurant owner I know, is on a retiree/spouse non-o.

You have to balance benefits with risk. This carpet bomb approach that is already scaring people on winter breaks to unearth the odd english teacher/ scuba diver is hardly worth it.