No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

No more in and out for Thailand, I sure hope this only applies to Visa runs!

My vacations happen only every 2 years, and I do want a bit of spice in my life.

If I have a bit more money and if I can just get my wife to retire, maybe we

would spend a 4 or 5 month break in LOS. Hopefully by then, all this visa stuff works itself out.

Stargrazer

The government should introduce a tourist visa which lasts for 6 months so people who come to Thailand on holiday during the winter don't have to do a stupid visa run.

If they want to fix the problems then they should fix it properly. A 5 or 6 months trip during the winter is quite reasonable and in some cases normal.

Getting on a plane to a neighbouring country just to activate the second part of your holiday is bizarre - this problem should be addressed.

• Like 2

My vacations happen only every 2 years, and I do want a bit of spice in my life.

would spend a 4 or 5 month break in LOS. Hopefully by then, all this visa stuff works itself out.

Stargrazer

The government should introduce a tourist visa which lasts for 6 months so people who come to Thailand on holiday during the winter don't have to do a stupid visa run.

If they want to fix the problems then they should fix it properly. A 5 or 6 months trip during the winter is quite reasonable and in some cases normal.

Getting on a plane to a neighbouring country just to activate the second part of your holiday is bizarre - this problem should be addressed.

The "problem" actually is that while SOME would say the question should be addressed by eliminating the requirement to leave the country to do so (which is I think where you're going), OTHERS (including members right here) would say that if you're leaving to activate the 2nd or 3rd entry on a tourist visa, you're staying too long, NOT a "tourist", and not using the "proper" visa in the first place - and should therefore be prevented from doing so. The whole idea of a "4 or 5 month break" is simply incomprehensible to them. I even read one guy's suggestion that you shouldn't be able to stay in Thailand, as a "tourist", any longer than whatever your "national annual vacation" is; 4 wks/yr, 5 wks/yr... whatever the usual time off is in your home country. Lol.

Edited by hawker9000

Except that languages concerned are mostly Chinese, Korean and Russian...

Thai have put heir priority on Chinese language for a few years already.

English speaking tourists are not the majority.

So easy solution: learn to speak Thai... or Chinese smile.png

Not really. The international language remains English and in almost all cases English will be offered to a foreigner who can't speak Thai, even to a Chinese person. Just the other day at the DMV I saw a Chinese guy who speaks English but not Thai interacting with the staff in English. Myself and another Chinese guy there interacted in Thai, since we both speak Thai. No way the DMV staff there will ever bother learning Chinese, they are already struggling enough with their English. So in that sense English speaking tourists ARE the majority, but perhaps not if you are referring to native speakers.

A few Thais are starting to study Chinese but the average Thai still equates foreigner = English. While it's nice to have staff who can speak the languages you mentioned it's definitely a niche. The average tourist in Thailand can expect to get by with only Thai (if they can speak any) or English throughout the country. For any other language you'd have to seek out specific tour operators or businesses known to speak the language you desire, but the average hotel, restaurant, person on the street can maybe speak some English in addition to their native Thai but that's about it. Minorities in border areas can usually also speak their own dialects/languages in addition to Thai and maybe English. Certainly not Chinese though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel sorry for the guys who are going to get frozen out, esp the teachers. Thailand needs all the English teachers it can get, even if non-native, but whole WP is far too much work for too little reward. Will be interesting to see how this impacts demographics: finally us old farts will become even more attractive to the ladies who are in hunting mode. And this should really gut TAT estimates for number of tourists coming to Thailand. We could actually find out how many tourists do come here without the inflated numbers due to runners.

When jobs disappear for Thais in expat spots, classrooms suddenly lack teachers, and property values drop.... will Thailand then come up with reasonable work visa and long term resident standards?

No, they will not understand what happened.

Sad but 100% true.

hope not true, but sadly so true

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Stargrazer

The "problem" actually is that while SOME would say the question should be addressed by eliminating the requirement to leave the country to do so (which is I think where you're going), OTHERS (including members right here) would say that if you're leaving to activate the 2nd or 3rd entry on a tourist visa, you're staying too long, NOT a "tourist", and not using the "proper" visa in the first place - and should therefore be prevented from doing so. The whole idea of a "4 or 5 month break" is simply incomprehensible to them. I even read one guy's suggestion that you shouldn't be able to stay in Thailand, as a "tourist", any longer than whatever your "national annual vacation" is; 4 wks/yr, 5 wks/yr... whatever the usual time off is in your home country. Lol

i totally agree with you on what you said.

you just pointed out the thing I always wanted to say when I hear farangs complaining based on what's normal to themselves. I always see farangs like that wear tanktops when they visit temples :-)

So does anyone know if the visa exempt crackdown starts today or tomororow ?

I've read about it being 'from' the 12th of August and 'after' the 12th of August which is today.

I'm sure you'll find out in the next few hours by all the texts pouring in from billionaires turned away. What a shame.

• Like 2

our staff at Ban Laem check point confirmed that border officials have not received any further instructions,

means first timers to the border or people with valid Tourist or Non Immigrant Visa will have no problem to reenter.

August 12th was mentioned as the start date at International Airports to stop OUT/IN.

In fact land borders "cracked down" since early June already.

our staff at Ban Laem check point confirmed that border officials have not received any further instructions,

means first timers to the border or people with valid Tourist or Non Immigrant Visa will have no problem to reenter.

August 12th was mentioned as the start date at International Airports to stop OUT/IN.

So today is the day then...

So today is the day then...

Today is the Queens birthday and that is it.

Today was a target date mentioned months ago as the date they would start turning back people that are abusing visa exempt entries at the airports. But I think they may be already doing it.

I've read about it being 'from' the 12th of August and 'after' the 12th of August which is today.

I'm sure you'll find out in the next few hours by all the texts pouring in from billionaires turned away. What a shame.

Never going to happen, After talking to both officials in a Thai embassy overseas and one of the immigration bosses at the airport I was told by both that I could basically come in as many times as I wanted on a tourist visa as long as I can prove that I was not working and prove that i was bringing in funds from outside the country. I am a CEO and have a company back in my home country with a good sized bank account in my home country.

They basically said they are trying to stop all the illegal workers so as long as you can prove you are wealthy and bringing cash into Thailand from outside the country you should still be fine. Makes sense seeing we spend 10x more then most of the teachers and retirees living off their pensions here.

Although saying that, it is Thailand and the rules could change at any time, although seeing the rules on retirement change could be fun for us young folk that seem to take the brunt of abuse on the forums here from retirees...just saying smile.png

This thread is not about Tourist Visas it is about Entry Stamps. It has nothing to do with how much money you have or spend. If you are a serial repeat offending in/out stamper you will have a problem.

Never going to happen, After talking to both officials in a Thai embassy overseas and one of the immigration bosses at the airport I was told by both that I could basically come in as many times as I wanted on a tourist visa as long as I can prove that I was not working and prove that i was bringing in funds from outside the country. I am a CEO and have a company back in my home country with a good sized bank account in my home country.

They basically said they are trying to stop all the illegal workers so as long as you can prove you are wealthy and bringing cash into Thailand from outside the country you should still be fine. Makes sense seeing we spend 10x more then most of the teachers and retirees living off their pensions here.

Although saying that, it is Thailand and the rules could change at any time, although seeing the rules on retirement change could be fun for us young folk that seem to take the brunt of abuse on the forums here from retirees...just saying smile.png

This thread is not about Tourist Visas it is about Entry Stamps. It has nothing to do with how much money you have or spend. If you are a serial repeat offending in/out stamper you will have a problem.

"This thread is not about Tourist Visas it is about Entry Stamps."

Not so. Read the title and the OP again...

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

You only need 40K/month for a visa based on marriage or a kid. Even an English teacher makes that.

You obviously don't know that Thai government schools are paying between 15k and 35k for English teachers. Only a few schools in BK will pay 40k.

The main target is the Visa Exempt Stampers although people staying continuously for years on Tourist Visas will have problems.

Both the OP and the title refer to visa exempt entries, as explained earlier in the thread.

Both the OP and the title refer to visa exempt entries, as explained earlier in the thread.

Are you REALLY gonna' make me quote from the OP?? Please save yourself the embarrassment and just let it go... The OP specifically mentions tourist visas as well. Certainly fair game for this topic.

Edited by hawker9000

Are you REALLY gonna' make me quote from the OP?? Please save yourself the embarrassment and just let it go... The OP specifically mentions tourist visas as well. Certainly fair game for this topic.

If you tell me which part in bold you don't understand I'll gladly explain to you. There were just the usual definition issues, which were cleared later, hence 'as explained earlier in the thread.'

+ 1 yes. However, most visa runs require at least one night outside Thailand.

Will returning to Thailand after 24 hours be considered returning immediately? It seems to be.

What is clear is that Thai immigration wants to prevent multiple in-out trips for the sole purpose of extending stay, whether it is an exempt 15/30 day entry or a 60 day entry with a tourist visa.

I think that border agents will scrutinize the visa and entry history of each person, ask a few questions, and make a decision based on that. If this is the case then the longer one spends outside Thailand the better.

If you tell me which part in bold you don't understand I'll gladly explain to you. There were just the usual definition issues, which were cleared later, hence 'as explained earlier in the thread.'

OK? Now pipe down. The term "visa run" applies equally to border runs made for the purpose of obtaining back-to-back visa exempt stamps as well as to "visa runs" to embassies/consulates in bordering countries solely for the purpose of obtaining a tourist visa and then returning, or even exiting the country to return immediately on a 2nd or 3rd entry. Attempted entries pursuant to both can be refused by IOs who suspect the traveler is working or trying to reside permanently without a "proper" visa, a term used over & over & over again by members who post at TV. Members/readers have relevant and timely questions & issues with both, and both have been discussed in the 48pgs of this topic (as well as others certainly). Stop trying to muzzle people. You're not a mod.

Same Same but different :D

I reckon when a person has done 10 back to back visa runs, they should be given a medal.

For the most part these folks a free publicity machine, that promote the country and are tremendously positive and enthusiastic about it. You'd have to be, to endure the humiliation, the disruption and the stress of the visa run process.

Some of them are financially vulnerable with personal attachments to local people, others are financially sensitive, as they develop projects etc. And of course some of them (like any other class of visitor) have less than pristine backgrounds and tendencies. Many of them utilise Thailand as a hub, to springboard into bordering countries. Quite a few work in other countries and come to Thailand for extended R & R.

I appreciate that enforcement of regulations has certain benefits and that authorities are well within their rights to exercise them.

But what will be the net result of this particular action?

Increased prosperity? An enhanced image? More people in love with Thailand?

We're about to find out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did a visa run at Kap Choeng today. No questions asked or comments given. Out and back in took about 30 minutes where the biggest pain in the a**e was the discussion about the cost for the Cambodian visa. Just kept it firm and paid 20 USD.

So it seems that things are back to normal now, right? People are able to go on visa runs get the usual 30 day visa exempt entry?

My double entry visa can only be extended another 30 days from Sept. 18 to Oct. 18, but I have another 2 months left on my return ticket to the U.S.A. so I need to know if I will be able to get 2 more 30 day visa exempt entries.

To Wardje: I have never heard of Kap Choeng before. How does it compare with Ban Laem and Poipet?

So it seems that things are back to normal now, right? People are able to go on visa runs get the usual 30 day visa exempt entry?

My double entry visa can only be extended another 30 days from Sept. 18 to Oct. 18, but I have another 2 months left on my return ticket to the U.S.A. so I need to know if I will be able to get 2 more 30 day visa exempt entries.

Repeated visa exempt entries are not allowed, despite whatever different individual expereince. You should get a tourist visa in a nearby country.