No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

All the former soviets of the USSR can speak Russian.

Have talked to a few of them and the majority are from Uzbekistan, some from Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.

Very doubtful she was Russian.

Russian & Thai working girls meet the nouvo Samurai...

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader1210.htm

Last week.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubmissions2014/reader8779.htm

is the smoking section as this is where the Russian ladies ply their trade. If you’re bored with the Asian variety ....... Russians and Ukrainians predominate the scene and although appearing friendly enough, they’re very much about business. Which, in some ways, is a bit more refreshing than the pretentious BS of the would be cabin crew, marketing analysts and property developers back on Soi 11.

Edited by thailiketoo

thats what I'm thinking too but things are so confused right now, nothing will surprise me. my sister in laws boyfriend comes on a double entry tourist every year and I'm wondering if he will have to spend a few days in laos to activate the second entry?? hope not.

As he does not have a history of back to back tourist visas it should not be a problem.

If that's all that was required, a few days away from Thailand a lot of people should be rejoicing as they'd be able to spend just a few days outside of Thailand every 2-3 months and continue to live on essentially back-to-back tourist visas or visa exempt stamps.

I don't see what anyone has to fear from spending a few days in Laos or anywhere else between entries on a double or triple entry tourist visa. If you can't afford to spend even 1 day away from Thailand you can't really afford to be in Thailand at all, I'm sorry. I don't think a tourist visa with more than 1 entry was necessarily designed so that you can come back the same day you left to get a new stay. There are reports on another thread about foreigners being told to stay in Malaysia a couple of nights before being allowed re-entry. At least one guy, mike something posted that he disobeyed that order, returned 15 minutes later, was refused and then had to go to Penang anyway. Maybe if he had listened and done what legitimate tourists do, including many that are spending a few months in Thailand to turn a visa or border run into a short holiday away from Thailand, they'd have fewer problems.

Met a very nice elderly American man in Vientiane back in March when we were both applying for double entry tourist visas. He was on his second back-to-back one after his previous one issued in LA had just expired. He flew in from Chiang Mai via Bangkok to Vientiane and originally his flight was booked for 2 nights in Vientiane. Even though he had never been there and enjoyed his stay (we spent some time together for lunch the first day and then most of the afternoon from the time we got our passports back on the second day, until his return flight that evening) it turned out that although his flight was actually scheduled for the following day at 6pm, he couldn't stand the thought of spending another day there even though I just decided to extend my own stay in Vientiane for another day, to 4 days. With that attitude of only staying away the bare minimum time some folks may be very disappointed with the interpretation of these regulations and find themselves shafted.

Therefore, I'd recommend staying a few days away from Thailand in between border runs even on a double or triple entry tourist visa. However, what's unclear is if a few days away is going to be enough - returning the same day is clearly not going to be tolerated anymore for visa exempt entries and for some entrants on tourist visas, even if they spent 2-3 days away obtaining these visas - that's because they have been spending very little time outside of Thailand overall.

This is a great example of the re-stated requirement for a visa to be "fit for purpose".

I doubt that the Thai authorities intended that a tourist visa should be used for a 150 day virtually continuous stay.

Sound advice to act like a tourist if you have a tourist visa and 3 or 4 days in neighbouring country is no hardship.

Yet this is what so many tourists who winter here regularly have applied for and use..

The recent denial of entry by someone having had 3 or 4 days in kl makes your second statement also doubtful.

• Like 1

/* snipped quotes */

Only grey areas here. The high season will kick off in few months and with only grey areas, Thailand will not be an attractive destination for tours.

Tours have their databases with the rules of every country. If Thailand has no clear rules, it will be skipped by TONS of tourists next season.

Wanna bet ?

I don't think people traveling on organized tours will have any problem. They have all the papers from inbound flight, hotel and tlocal tour bookings to outbound flight. Not to forget that tour groups get shepparded thru most official procedures also as a group.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pattaya Today July 17th

according to an "immigration spokesman"

"However, the new policy does not affect in any way the holders of double or multiple-entry 60 days tourist or 90 days non-immigrant visas. They can continue to travel to a land border and return the same day or later without any problems as long as the visa remains valid."

This contradicts other "pronouncements by immigration. As ever clarity is not a top priority

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

This contradicts other "pronouncements by immigration. As ever clarity is not a top priority

It's not a matter of clarity but of regional autonomy. The guy in the south wanted to set a good example and get rid of few, say, Russian, Koreans even on tourist visa.

Central Thailand guys sees it the classical way - have visa, welcome in.

North Thailand guy may be too busy with other stuff to even worry.

Top guy gives them autonomy as long things run smoothly in each region and a reasonable number of truly undesirables is kept out.

In the meanwhile the Chinese are getting free visa and someone claims that visa exempt will be extendable to another 30 days.

Make of all that what you want but it seems too me a classical case of "Much ado about nothing".

• Like 1

"However, the new policy does not affect in any way the holders of double or multiple-entry 60 days tourist or 90 days non-immigrant visas. They can continue to travel to a land border and return the same day or later without any problems as long as the visa remains valid."

Hi. Looks like a summary of an interview seen on TV in the middle of this week. The interview was more precise though, something like:

- Tourists who own a 2 or 3 entries tourist visa will not be concerned if they got it in their country before they travel. smile.png

- People who got such visa in a nearby country may see their entry refused if they already had a tourist visa or visa exempt before getting this new visa.

I think it was on PattayaOne channel but can't find the corresponding article on their website.

Pattaya Today July 17th

the only pronouncements ive seen dealt with back to back tourist visas.this seems to be talking about the entries of a single double or triple tourist visa

Last night I was watching a movie about a meeting with a American man named scoot...

He was invited by immigration to explain this about the crack down... Can't find it here anymore... Is it deleted or what.. Please provide me a link if anybody know

Regards

Carsten

Edited by carstenp

Last night I was watching a movie about a meeting with a American man named scoot...

He was invited by immigration to explain this about the crack down... Can't find it here anymore... Is it deleted or what.. Please provide me a link if anybody now

Regards

Carsten

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744018-to-all-overstayers-or-those-who-know-someone/page-3

post #71

• Like 1

He was invited by immigration to explain this about the crack down... Can't find it here anymore... Is it deleted or what.. Please provide me a link if anybody now

Regards

Carsten

www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744018-to-all-overstayers-or-those-who-know-someone/page-3

post #71

Thanks.. :)

He was invited by immigration to explain this about the crack down... Can't find it here anymore... Is it deleted or what.. Please provide me a link if anybody know

Regards

Carsten

scoot? Do you mean Scott as in Scott Mallon (an American in Bangkok)?

If so click HERE and go to post #22 and then on page 2 go to posts #28 and 32.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards

Carsten

scoot? Do you mean Scott as in Scott Mallon (an American in Bangkok)?

If so click HERE and go to post #22 and then on page 2 go to posts #28 and 32.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Sorry, yes it was Scott :) thanks

Is the second entry of a tourist visa classed as back to back? Or is it two whole seperate visas which they see as back to back?

No it's not a back to back. Just show outbound ticket and travel plan, and 20000 baht

• Like 1

The title is misleading

It's not "No more visa run"

It should be "No more TOURIST visa run"

which makes a huge difference

You are right. Non o, ed are allowed to do the run. Only tourist visa is the problem, and the 15-30 days run

The title is misleading

You are right. Non o, ed are allowed to do the run. Only tourist visa is the problem, and the 15-30 days run

Problem is not tourist visa being abused,it's working visa being so ridiculously difficult to get.

I believe this wording was carefully chosen to frighten everyone and portrait immigration as slamming a fist on the table of abuse.

However the people having to leave the country every 3 months spending a large part of their own salary to just stay in the country are not the abusers.

Working visas are expensive and difficult to obtain, as if only some type of "elite" foreigners should be working here. This is very far from true, as any developing country,Thailand is in bad needs of skills,which its own deficient educational system cannot provide.

It's just another crowd pleasing nationalist act.

The title is misleading

Problem is not tourist visa being abused,it's working visa being so ridiculously difficult to get.

I believe this wording was carefully chosen to frighten everyone and portrait immigration as slamming a fist on the table of abuse.

However the people having to leave the country every 3 months spending a large part of their own salary to just stay in the country are not the abusers.

Working visas are expensive and difficult to obtain, as if only some type of "elite" foreigners should be working here. This is very far from true, as any developing country,Thailand is in bad needs of skills,which its own deficient educational system cannot provide.

I disagree about the working visas being difficult to get. Not at all - if a company is willing and able to hire you (well as long as you aren't proposing to work in a restricted profession or as a manual laborer unless you're from Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar) then you'll get the visa and work permit. I've never heard of a foreigner having difficulty getting a work visa after being offered a great job - doesn't happen and certainly never happened to me.

Getting a job offer in the first place is what's difficult as a foreigner. Being unemployed for months on end is normal for many foreigners looking for work in Thailand, except those with years of experience in their industry who are highly skilled. It's also said that legitimate English teachers shouldn't have any great difficulty obtaining work, or getting visas provided the school etc. that hired them is legitimate and is able to hire a foreigner.

The title is misleading

I disagree about the working visas being difficult to get. Not at all - if a company is willing and able to hire you (well as long as you aren't proposing to work in a restricted profession or as a manual laborer unless you're from Laos, Cambodia or Myanmar) then you'll get the visa and work permit. I've never heard of a foreigner having difficulty getting a work visa after being offered a great job - doesn't happen and certainly never happened to me.

Getting a job offer in the first place is what's difficult as a foreigner. Being unemployed for months on end is normal for many foreigners looking for work in Thailand, except those with years of experience in their industry who are highly skilled. It's also said that legitimate English teachers shouldn't have any great difficulty obtaining work, or getting visas provided the school etc. that hired them is legitimate and is able to hire a foreigner.

Easy to say if you've never been responsible for acquiring one, your looking from prospective of an applicant, once you've got the position you pushed the work to your employer, however you'll find many employers are somewhat reluctant to hire foreigners officially initially (or if ever) due to the work and costs involved. It looks easy if you just go to penang with a wp3, drink beer and get your non-imm b, and then return to lawyer in 3 months for a 12 month extension, what did you have to do? nothing, a few photos and maybe a health test, heck that why TV is littered with "go get a WP" crap. For a company to get a work permit for a foreigner requires a lot of greasing of the wheels, and often various formalities such as increasing registered paid up capital by 2m and another 4 thais social security etc.., a few trees cut down, various payments to accountant, agents and so forth.. and more.. a small business has to be sure that going to represent a good ROI. Im not saying its impossible it just not as easy as TV grumpies make it appear.,

I do hope these recent enforcements of various rules also paves the way to make legitimacy much easier.. :)

Edited by matt111

Easy to say if you've never been responsible for acquiring one, your looking from prospective of an applicant, once you've got the position you pushed the work to your employer, however you'll find many employers are somewhat reluctant to hire foreigners officially initially (or if ever) due to the work and costs involved. It looks easy if you just go to penang with a wp3, drink beer and get your non-imm b, and then return to lawyer in 3 months for a 12 month extension, what did you have to do? nothing, a few photos and maybe a health test, heck that why TV is littered with "go get a WP" crap. For a company to get a work permit for a foreigner requires a lot of greasing of the wheels, and often various formalities such as increasing registered paid up capital by 2m and another 4 thais social security etc.., a few trees cut down, various payments to accountant, agents and so forth.. and more.. a small business has to be sure that going to represent a good ROI. Im not saying its impossible it just not as easy as TV grumpies make it appear.,

I do hope these recent enforcements of various rules also paves the way to make legitimacy much easier.. smile.png

I agree mainly on the cost perspective and the hassle involved. However, where I disagree is that if an employer meets the requirements to hire a foreigner, that it's still difficult. I'm still young and don't have say 20 years of work experience (or even 10) like many posters here yet I haven't had any issues with employers getting me my non-B, extension and work permit. Although I've only ever held a few different jobs in Thailand.

I know a British chap, he's over 50 now, never had a work permit because the companies he has worked for couldn't be bothered obtaining them. He switched jobs, got a new offer in a week but I'm thinking how could he work for a company like the previous one in the first place if they weren't able to get him legal? And even now he's on a retirement visa and working for a new company, but without a work permit (which can't be issued on a retirement visa). Previously he got 12-month non-Bs but they are getting harder to obtain in the UK at least. So he had the right visa but no work permit. And for someone who has considerable experience you'd think the companies he works for/has worked for would easily be able to meet the requirements? However, I have no idea what companies he works for, how big they are, etc. No idea at all. I will ask him though, out of interest...

And BTW just wanted to note that all the companies I've worked for here in Thailand have easily met the social security/capitalization requirements. Your examples are referring mostly to small businesses including those started by foreigners. I've worked only for fairly large organizations and as mentioned, my experience has always been a breeze.

I do hope these recent enforcements of various rules also paves the way to make legitimacy much easier.. smile.png

I agree mainly on the cost perspective and the hassle involved. However, where I disagree is that if an employer meets the requirements to hire a foreigner, that it's still difficult. I'm still young and don't have say 20 years of work experience (or even 10) like many posters here yet I haven't had any issues with employers getting me my non-B, extension and work permit. Although I've only ever held a few different jobs in Thailand.

I know a British chap, he's over 50 now, never had a work permit because the companies he has worked for couldn't be bothered obtaining them. He switched jobs, got a new offer in a week but I'm thinking how could he work for a company like the previous one in the first place if they weren't able to get him legal? And even now he's on a retirement visa and working for a new company, but without a work permit (which can't be issued on a retirement visa). Previously he got 12-month non-Bs but they are getting harder to obtain in the UK at least. So he had the right visa but no work permit. And for someone who has considerable experience you'd think the companies he works for/has worked for would easily be able to meet the requirements? However, I have no idea what companies he works for, how big they are, etc. No idea at all. I will ask him though, out of interest...

And BTW just wanted to note that all the companies I've worked for here in Thailand have easily met the social security/capitalization requirements. Your examples are referring mostly to small businesses including those started by foreigners. I've worked only for fairly large organizations and as mentioned, my experience has always been a breeze.

I was involved in advertising ad shoot here some time ago.

Small budget - under USD 200K.

We needed to organise temporary work permits for a foreign crew - 14 days.

It was horrible.

Never again.

The title is misleading

I got a job in a week.

It took THREE MONTHS to get the work permit and visa and it was expensive.

I did not like the company, straight away, but stuck with it for 3 months, because it was complicated to get another job/ an other work visa/work permit/ etc

My stay in THL was now completely linked to my job, It took another MONTH to change visa, plus having to leave the country, to get rid of these chains.

NEVER AGAIN.

The global job market is a fast moving environment and the visa system is totally inadequate and obsolete.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 2

Pattaya Today July 17th

I am stressing as I will be coming back on the train from Penang on an O visa multiple entry in August and I have no idea whether the IO will accept it, or tell me to fly to Bkk. I did ask if anyone doing that recently had any info, but no response.

I have no faith in an "immigration spokesman" speaking for the IO in the south.

I wonder if people whinging about Thai work permits ever needed to get a work permit elsewhere? If it so good elsewhere should we introduce labour market testing where national adverts have to be run for weeks on end to show no local can do the job like in the UK? Should we place a cap on the number or work permits issued per year, like the US H1b visa? How about recognised qualification testing, like they do in Australia (long, slow and expensive).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have had work permits in Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei, Angola, Saudi, Kuwait, Egypt, Nigeria, India Ivory Coast and Thailand - the worst place is Angola followed by Thailand then India took our HR department months.

To be fair I had little to do apart from appear at immigration for a minute - but the complete process took 4 months. Angola takes 6 +

Kuwait is a right pain in the <deleted> now

As already said it is all well and good just saying get legal but it doesn't work out as simple as that. Take here on Koh Tao. One of the Big Thai run schools has around 60 Instructors. To get each of them a work permit would involve hiring 240 Thai staff. Just what are all these Thai staff going to do ? Most of the staff they have are burmese as the Thai's here don't want to work. They are quite happy to sit drinking beer waving a Taxi sign at people and charging them 800 baht to go 1KM

• Like 1

I wonder if people whinging about Thai work permits ever needed to get a work permit elsewhere? If it so good elsewhere should we introduce labour market testing where national adverts have to be run for weeks on end to show no local can do the job like in the UK? Should we place a cap on the number or work permits issued per year, like the US H1b visa? How about recognised qualification testing, like they do in Australia (long, slow and expensive).

I have had work permits in Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei, Angola, Saudi, Kuwait, Egypt, Nigeria, India Ivory Coast and Thailand - the worst place is Angola followed by Thailand then India took our HR department months.

To be fair I had little to do apart from appear at immigration for a minute - but the complete process took 4 months. Angola takes 6 +

4 months? It's getting worse.

Here is the real issue.

If it was not so difficult long and expensive to get, there would be less abuse of other visas.

4 months? It's getting worse.

Here is the real issue.

If it was not so difficult long and expensive to get, there would be less abuse of other visas.

You may well be correct, I do not know how much the incompetent HR staff in our Bangkok office had to do with it. I have to say every single person I have dealt with here in immigration have been very professional and helpful. I also confess to having little contact but it has all been good.

I actually think the visa policies here are okay and will actually be clear and fair after Mothers day, I have no problem with complying with the rules - seems fair to me. If I work elsewhere next year I will just get a retirement visa for Thailand as I have passed the big 50 now.

Immigration is just a business. Like a Hotel. Five star hotels can charge a higher tariff than than two star hotels.

Thailand has a great climate, agreeable people, an almost reasonable infrastructure and a business environment that has potential, but wobbles a bit and is not particular easy to negotiate.

One can't blame a three star hotel for trying to get a four star tariff. If they can. But when demand tanks, even five star hotels have to slash their rates.

For good or ill, wisely or not, Thailand has decided to up their tariff. To make it more difficult, expensive and complicated for people to be here. Will they get away with it? Who knows, maybe they will able to attract five star clients, that will happily pay an increased premium to be here.

Will their be an exodus of well heeled people from Cannes, Cot d'Azur and Monaco to Pattaya? It's anyones guess.

Will entrepreneurs from Hong Kong relocate their business's to Thailand? Maybe.

World GDP is shrinking. The Baltic Dry Goods Index is off a cliff. World tourism is in the doldrums. Oil prices are set to hike. The middle classes of the US and Europe are being hammered. Unemployment is skyrocketing.

Is this the right time for Thailand to make it more difficult and expensive for people to be here and augment their economy?

I'm sure they have employed skilled economic planners, who have modelled the projected permutations of immigration policy. That they have calculated and thought through their plans with great care. Because they know, when you slam the door in a persons face, when you make their life more difficult, when you change the rules constantly, when you cause them financial loss and treat them with contempt - you kind of lose their loyalty exponentially. A difficult position to recover from - a renewed charm offensive, might not be enough.

• Like 1