No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

For people who stay long term in Thailand with tourist visas will nothing change after 12th August. Unless, they had some overstay or too many visa exempt stamps in the past. That said, to activate the second entry after 12th August will be no problem. It doesn't matter how long the "visa runner" stay in Thailand prior. Border to Laos and Cambodia are fine.

I sure hope this is true, but it does contradict what another officer unofficially said at Poipet. That rule said something like "questioning and red stamp if you have more than 6 months in Thailand within 24 months, refused entry if you have more than 6 months within 12."

I was just doing a search on Thai Visa for something totally unrelated but this link from 2006 was the second one to come up.

Posted 2006-10-02 16:48:58

Enormous shakeup of visa and immigration rules
Most farangs will be affected
Maybe if everybody had played by the rules then instead of taking the p##s and abusing the system whenever they could they wouldn't be having the current problems.
  • Like 2

Wow

"ll I just had a talk with a person I know, the son of the brother from a uncle of my wife, he told me that his friend has a friend, who's father no somebody at the police station. This policeman has a brother who know somebody in immigration."

Thats a lot of people ;)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

I just had a conversation with a person who must know all this things about the visa crackdowns. Please understand, that i don't provide the identity of this person. I know this person since more then 10 years. And i know how is this person is connected.

For people who stay long term in Thailand with tourist visas will nothing change after 12th August. Unless, they had some overstay or too many visa exempt stamps in the past. That said, to activate the second entry after 12th August will be no problem. It doesn't matter how long the "visa runner" stay in Thailand prior. All this refers not to southern borders. Border to Laos and Cambodia are fine.

People who want to apply another Tourist Visa in Vientiane or Svannakhet, should provide to the consulate a rental contract, or a housebook on your own name or a certification of residence. Also, proof that you can effort to stay here. Show them copys of your bank book. The consulate want see movements on your Thai account. Money come in, money go out. For rental fees, shopping or whatever.

It may sounds ironic, because somehow, you have to proof that you are not a tourist to be considered as a tourist.

Some people will think, this is all bullshit. But i know who this person is. And if a moderator or admin think all this is bullshit, he is free to delete this posting.

Nothing is as bad as it looks.

Well I just had a talk with a person I know, the son of the brother from a uncle of my wife, he told me that his friend has a friend, who's father no somebody at the police station. This policeman has a brother who know somebody in immigration.

Offcourse you will understand that I can not reveal his name, butbelieve me, this man knows everything about the crackdown, just believe me!

And....what did this person say? Nothing?

Alternatively all those visa crackdown threads could be closed until new facts will coming up.

I just had a conversation with a person who must know all this things about the visa crackdowns. Please understand, that i don't provide the identity of this person. I know this person since more then 10 years. And i know how is this person is connected.

For people who stay long term in Thailand with tourist visas will nothing change after 12th August. Unless, they had some overstay or too many visa exempt stamps in the past. That said, to activate the second entry after 12th August will be no problem. It doesn't matter how long the "visa runner" stay in Thailand prior. All this refers not to southern borders. Border to Laos and Cambodia are fine.

People who want to apply another Tourist Visa in Vientiane or Svannakhet, should provide to the consulate a rental contract, or a housebook on your own name or a certification of residence. Also, proof that you can effort to stay here. Show them copys of your bank book. The consulate want see movements on your Thai account. Money come in, money go out. For rental fees, shopping or whatever.

It may sounds ironic, because somehow, you have to proof that you are not a tourist to be considered as a tourist.

Some people will think, this is all bullshit. But i know who this person is. And if a moderator or admin think all this is bullshit, he is free to delete this posting.

Well I just had a talk with a person I know, the son of the brother from a uncle of my wife, he told me that his friend has a friend, who's father no somebody at the police station. This policeman has a brother who know somebody in immigration.

Offcourse you will understand that I can not reveal his name, butbelieve me, this man knows everything about the crackdown, just believe me!

There are people on this form who don't know what is going to happen with this crackdown and have the feeling they are in trouble.

So please stop your bs and write something that can be backed up with a link or article.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

how many links do you need to know "it's gonna get tougher to stay in Thailand"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are people on this form who don't know what is going to happen with this crackdown and have the feeling they are in trouble.

So please stop your bs and write something that can be backed up with a link or article.

Thank you.

Just one or two factual ones. Just one or two actual border experiences. Most of the posts here are supposition based on rumor written by people who don't live in Thailand. The devil is in the details. The OP, "Pol Lt-Colonel Weerawat Nilwat, an inspector at the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province, disclosed that immigration officials at his workplace had already barred more than 100 visa-runners from re-entering the Kingdom." That's 3 a day for a month.

Immigration begins to report to a different agency soon other than the ministry of the interior. Read the writing on the wall.

• Like 1

I have posted this on another thread but it might be better here.

It has not been mentioned that if you are refused entry into a country then you will not be admitted to any other country until you have returned to the country of your passport.

This could have huge implications for a visa runner because once you try to enter Thailand and are refused admittance you are in no man's land having signed out of the previous country- they will not readmit you; rather they will put you in detention until you can return to your home country.

So beware. If you are in danger of being refused entry then make sure you have the funds to return home other wise you might spend the rest of your life in detention.

• Like 1

I would like really to know how I can do with my son 19 years old, he comes to visit me for one month , but now he wants to stay to the end of august . He has no visa and we have to do something before the 7 of august ? What is the best ? Border it seems to be impossible now , visa in penang ? And should we come back in plane ??? I really do not know .he has no borders stamps , because he never did it .no visa just the stamp of immigration when he arrived on the 7 of july , please if you have an idea !!! thanks

I'm on double entry tourist visa spending a week in Vietnam and arriving back to Thailand on 14th for second half of my visa.

Wonder how this will go. I don't have any back to back visas in my passport, and I don't have any visa exemptions. I do have multiple double entry tourist visas over many years. Visa was acquired from home country, not a border country in Asia.

you'll be fine. youre not doing an Out/In

How do you define Out/In though? I'll be in Vietnam for 7 days. Is Out/In about people who cross back the same day? 1 day? 3 days? 1 week?

I wish the immigration rules were clearer.

I guess it doesn't really matter how short your stay out of the country is.

Just show a tourist itinerary, guest house/hotel bookings, a list of where you are travelling to and things to see and enough money for 3 months.....a quarter of what a retiree has to show should be enough. If the immigration officer sees these things in place then he will know you are doing another 3 month tour of Thailand and not living here on a tourist visa.

Have people noticed how many ads from Visa companies, lawyers et al that have suddenly started appearing, guaranteeing the visa of your choice?

Edited by uptheos

I have posted this on another thread but it might be better here.

It has not been mentioned that if you are refused entry into a country then you will not be admitted to any other country until you have returned to the country of your passport.

This could have huge implications for a visa runner because once you try to enter Thailand and are refused admittance you are in no man's land having signed out of the previous country- they will not readmit you; rather they will put you in detention until you can return to your home country.

So beware. If you are in danger of being refused entry then make sure you have the funds to return home other wise you might spend the rest of your life in detention.

This is a concern, but it isn't entirely true. I've been detained in no-man's-land between several countries in Central Asia, and in most cases you'll eventually be allowed either forward or back. The alternatives would be to 1) hold a person indefinitely in no-man's-land, which would be logistically impossible, or 2) arrest and hold a person in detention until they can be repatriated, which is both impractical and legally questionable, if they haven't committed a crime that warrants detention (and arriving at a border with a valid visa isn't a crime, even if the receiving country doesn't want to honour the visa).

As for the rule you mentioned about not being admitted to any other country until you have returned to the country of your passport, that isn't accurate. If you're refused entry into a country (let's take the example of an airport arrival rather than a land border), you must return to a country in which you're free to arrive without requiring a visa, or offers a visa on arrival.

In 2010 I flew into Mongolia from the UK, via Frankfurt and Beijing. On arrival in Ulaanbaatar it emerged that I had been blacklisted for a year (though I had not been informed, and I held a valid tourist visa). After much back and forth I was put on a plane back to Beijing and held in airport detention for 12 hours, at which point I was put on a plane back to Frankfurt, where I was handed my passport and allowed to go on my way. The reason for this is that I didn't have a visa for China, so I would not be permitted entry, and the procedure called for me to be returned in the reverse of my incoming itinerary to the first country I could legally enter (Germany).

So, in the case of Thailand if you arrive at a land border with a valid visa (or the hope of an exemption) and you're not allowed in you can simply cross back into the previous country (as Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia (not sure about Myanmar) all offer visa on arrival). If you arrive at an international airport and you're not allowed in, by default you will be returned to the last country in your travel itinerary for which you don't need a visa (and your ticket will be paid by you or the airline, depending on whatever international laws the airline feels like following that day). In the case of Thailand it should be possible to choose to book a new ticket to a neighbouring country and simply fly back out, since the priority of the immigration officers is to just get rid of you with the least hassle possible.

Edited by Sortapundit
  • Like 2

Of course I decide to work as a freelancer in Thailand when they start to crackdown! Wondering if anyone can give me advice on my personal situation...

I first moved to Bangkok with my bf in January. We came in on a single-entry tourist visa on January 15. We left on February 27 before our initial 60 days was up for a 2 month stint through Cambodia and Vietnam. I came back into the country to meet a friend and travel around the islands on a visa on arrival on April 14 and went on a visa run to Laos on the 6th of May. I obtained a double-entry visa, which I just recently extended to receive the additional 30 days from the initial 60.

I leave on August 4th for a month-long trip to the US (where I'm originally from), which is my first time leaving the country on my double-entry visa. I'm worried about being able to come back into the country on September 3rd even though I would simply be activating the second entry on my valid visa.

Does anyone know how this might affect me or if I'll be okay to come back in? Is there any number we can call to speak to someone at immigration?

Thank you!

Amanda

Since you had the 2-month break in Cambodia/Vietnam and will be back to the US for another whole month I would guess you'd have no problem.

But for a longer term solution, depending on what your line of freelancing is, there may be a way for you to do so legally, with a non-B visa and work permit by using a Thai company as a go-between you and your clients. I know one company in Chiang Mai currently doing this with quite a few Europeans/Americans/Australians: http://iglu.in.th/work/

I'm a little stunned that others hadn't thought of something similar - reading between the lines, there are a number of possibilities with that company. In theory, it looks like a win-win IF you can guarantee them the revenue each and every month and they can guarantee you a work permit. Thanks for the link.

You supply the clients - you do the work - you hand over your client details (yeah right) so they can do the billing - and for the privilege of legally working in Chiang Mai (eeeech) you pay a minimum of USD 600 a month - i.e. they take 30% of your income - and there's a 12 month contract. But there is free coffee.

• Like 1

What rubbish!

People are losing sight of the fact that the visa rules have not been changed, they are just being enforced.

Immigration want you to get the correct visa. You cannot use short term stay visas for long term stay any more.

Inconvenient? Yes.

No need to make this into a nine act drama.

Edited by KarenBravo

The rules HAVE NOT changed.

What has changed is enforcement, therefore the situation has changed.

They don't want people staying long term using visas that are meant for short term stays.

If you want to stay long term there are ways to do this. What's the problem?

Edited by KarenBravo

They don't want people staying long term using visas that are meant for short term stays.

Exactly. There is no problem.

Get legal or get he hell out. Simple.

Thank you.

Just one or two factual ones. Just one or two actual border experiences. Most of the posts here are supposition based on rumor written by people who don't live in Thailand. The devil is in the details. The OP, "Pol Lt-Colonel Weerawat Nilwat, an inspector at the Sungai Kolok border checkpoint in Narathiwat province, disclosed that immigration officials at his workplace had already barred more than 100 visa-runners from re-entering the Kingdom." That's 3 a day for a month.

Immigration begins to report to a different agency soon other than the ministry of the interior. Read the writing on the wall.

But this sungai golok border is rarely used. I would be more interested for numbers being barred entry at the danok/sadao border please. Updates please, real experiences, no haresay please.

Rules and enforcement combine to create precedent - for practical purposes they merge.

There is nothing illegal with back to back visas, if they allow them.

What they want to do it seems is generally make life more difficult and complex for people.

And this attitude works against everyones interests, except for those countries that want to attract people.

No one for example in their right mind, would set up a company here, to do international marketing or IT development etc. The bureaucracy, bizarre accounting regulations, employment regulations all on top of a horrible internet, mean that Thailand misses out. They have throttled a vibrant potential grass roots industry. I guess its back to the massage parlour for too many young Thais. Which doubtless suits a lot of crusty retired expats.

You'd think Thailand would understand the components of what made it an attractive destination and augment those qualities, instead of diminishing them.

Don't worry, foreign writers, photographers, freelance IT people, designers, entrepreneurs and traders are on their way out. Amazing Thailand is fast becoming Tedious Thailand.

Don't worry, foreign writers, photographers, freelance IT people, designers, entrepreneurs and traders are on their way out. Amazing Thailand is fast becoming Tedious Thailand.

Try Non-Imm B with a work permit.

Just more sensationalist crap.

• Like 2

Let's be clear here - you're flight is booked and you'll be leaving Thailand, never to return ? Bon Voyage. clap2.gif

I'll pass on your advice to one of Thailands most famous foreign writers, who has just moved to Indonesia and two of the most brilliant black soul singers, that are now based in the Philippines. And to a host of movie production people and their companies that have also quietly moved on.

A world class Belgian photographer, used to base himself here and travel all over the world. But the hassles with getting his equipment in and out and immigration complications along with other things, forced him to leave. His six Thai domestic staff and another dozen employees will doubtless miss him.

Half a dozen Thai based IT development companies I know of, have closed down and their principles have moved to Sri Lanka. Several up and coming clothing designers have left. Even Indian gem merchants are packing up shop and going back to Jaipur. An award winning British jewellery designer and neighbour of mine, with loads of work from abroad, just left for Italy, because it just became too complicated here.

The people who bring innovation and opportunity are being squeezed out. This can't be good.

• Like 2

I'll pass on your advice to one of Thailands most famous foreign writers, who has just moved to Indonesia and two of the most brilliant black soul singers, that are now based in the Philippines. And to a host of movie production people and their companies that have also quietly moved on.

A world class Belgian photographer, used to base himself here and travel all over the world. But the hassles with getting his equipment in and out and immigration complications along with other things, forced him to leave. His six Thai domestic staff and another dozen employees will doubtless miss him.

Half a dozen Thai based IT development companies I know of, have closed down and their principles have moved to Sri Lanka. Several up and coming clothing designers have left. Even Indian gem merchants are packing up shop and going back to Jaipur. An award winning British jewellery designer and neighbour of mine, with loads of work from abroad, just left for Italy, because it just became too complicated here.

The people who bring innovation and opportunity are being squeezed out. This can't be good.

Wow all that based on a couple of rumors on a website. Think what would happen if Thailand actually changed some Visa laws!!!

another crackdown

will this blow over ?

will it be like the enforcement of no smoking in bars. or 2am closing times.

they must realize that much of the $$ coming into Thailand is from men spending there life savings once they get hooked

and its all very well saying get a marriage visa.. but they have to meet 'mrs right' 1st !

i can just see it.

50 year old divorcee visits Thailand as his m8's tell him he can be a sexy man again before he dies.

he arrives spends lots of time partying and living it up ..

then meets the girl of his dreams .. only to be told. now if you want to stay with your girlfriend your going to have to get married quick otherwise your relationship is not recognized.. sensible guys wait before getting married to see if they are are going to be a husband or a portable atm machine . not any more as these rules encourage quick marriages ..