No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

From Post #1045: No one for example in their right mind, would set up a company here, to do international marketing or IT development etc.

From BOI.go.th website search on 'Software' BOI registered companies:

http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=search_promoted&primary_select=C_NAME&primary_sort=asc&secondary_select=OFF_PRO&secondary_sort=asc&language_search=English&province=all&keyword=software (17 pages of listings by company name)

I'm not sure the prevailing attitude toward people wishing to spend extended time in Thailand is very clever. Particularly younger people, who bring enthusiasm, energy and diversity. They have the potential over their coming decades of productive life, to visit many many times and eventually to invest, create opportunities - mostly predicated on the ease, good times and hospitality they enjoyed.

I've lived here for 15 years, the first 10 on back to back tourist visas. Thailand was very good to me. And naturally I became a staunch and loyal supporter of the place. I could have lived in almost any country. But this was the best.

I have since managed to develop business interests in several countries. But my first loyalty was to the country that treated me the most kindly. And that was Thailand.

But things are changing in Thailand. These myopic immigration policies are but one example and threaten its future. It was one of the best places in the world to hangout. I'd never been to a country, in which so many foreigners, just wanted to stay here anyway they could. We'd put up with communication problems, corruption, prejudice, poverty, bureaucracy and crappy internet. Because it was the place to be.

But crackdown on young people, who fall in love with this country, make life difficult for them, put obstacles, restrictions and endless red tape in their way. What will be the result? They will move on. And the only ones who'll be cheering will be bitter, crotchety, legalistic falang with halitosis and a retirement visa. Just what a progressive country needs.

And what so many of these bitter old farts don't realise is, they'll be next. More rules, more red tape, increasing costs and ever increasing economic prejudice, which will finish off all, but the most astute, in a decade or two.

If Thailand is not careful, it will unwittingly become as mean and boring as Malaysia. I wouldn't care if they gave me a life time visa, I and most others who have been there more than three times, would only consent to flying over it, on the way to Bali.

Shortsightedness, greed and an overwhelming lack of perspective produced these ridiculous "Elite" schemes. Elites might visit Thailand, once or twice but they won't and don't live here. They live in Monaco and Cote d'Azur, because they don't want to trip over beggars, smell the stench of sewerage whilst sitting in a restaurant or buy a fake Rolex.

Thailand is heading in the direction of becoming passé. Some of very qualities that made an accessible and great place to be are being undone.

And that makes me sad.

Or, you could admonish young people for not accepting that sometimes there are rules to follow and no matter how much you want something and no matter how rich you are you cannot always get what you want...

The really sad bit of this entire clampdown is reading posts berating the Thais, immigration, legal stayers, etc...

The very same people who yesterday loved the place so much they established themselves here on temporary visas, are the ones now saying the country is finished and undesirable.

What amazes me is the growing number of successful entrepreneurs and self made millionaires who wish to live and work illegally in a developing nation, when most of them have access to live and work in places such as EU, or USA. Ironical when you consider most Asians dream of living and working in the west.

So why try lo live here - perhaps it is more expensive to live there? You can't evade the taxman, or you're a fugitive from the law? These are the true reasons behind most overstayers and visa abusers in Thailand IMO. It has become a land of convenience, to criminals and people who couldn't be bothered with work and lack ambition - layabouts and dregs of developed nations who can't cut it at home...

Obviously these comments are not directed at you - you are special.

But you are still trying to excuse ignorance of law and blame this country for morons who take everything for granted in life. Kids of rich parents in most cases I would guess.

You make some valid points but they are comparaitvely incidental and do not represent the bigger picture. Which is the general attitude and policy direction of a country.

My view is that when a country is welcoming, open and relatively easy to negotiate - it attracts talent, motivated people and becomes a rising star, a haven for investment and opportunity. A pool of talent develops which augments this cycle and benefits everyone, particularly the poorest of society. Hong Kong is one such example.

But you are quite right, it also attracts some undesirables too. But lets face it, this is something that should be dealt with by law enforcement. Not broad sweeping policy.

And I see a policy shift in Thailand and I just think its an error. I have no beef with Thai people or the right of its government to institute whatever they believe is in their own best interests. Generally, I think they're totally cool. But I don't think what is happening is in their best interests. To the contrary, it will diminish the cache of the place and disadvantage the people, particularly those who wish to advance. And it is because I owe a debt of gratitude to this place, that I feel obliged to express my opinion.

Why compare a budding photographer or writer, with a criminal?

Why compare a small trader or entrepreneur with a tax cheat or crime syndicate?

Why aren't we thinking of ways to advance the place - to make it more attractive - so that talented people, see it as a place of opportunity. So that it becomes a mecca of talent, innovation, business and trade. Make it easy to start a business, to be a freelancer, to pay tax, to contribute, to employ and to develop. Why place endless obstructions, bureaucracy in the path of progress and development?

• Like 1

I'm not sure the prevailing attitude toward people wishing to spend extended time in Thailand is very clever. Particularly younger people, who bring enthusiasm, energy and diversity. They have the potential over their coming decades of productive life, to visit many many times and eventually to invest, create opportunities - mostly predicated on the ease, good times and hospitality they enjoyed.

I've lived here for 15 years, the first 10 on back to back tourist visas. Thailand was very good to me. And naturally I became a staunch and loyal supporter of the place. I could have lived in almost any country. But this was the best.

I have since managed to develop business interests in several countries. But my first loyalty was to the country that treated me the most kindly. And that was Thailand.

But things are changing in Thailand. These myopic immigration policies are but one example and threaten its future. It was one of the best places in the world to hangout. I'd never been to a country, in which so many foreigners, just wanted to stay here anyway they could. We'd put up with communication problems, corruption, prejudice, poverty, bureaucracy and crappy internet. Because it was the place to be.

But crackdown on young people, who fall in love with this country, make life difficult for them, put obstacles, restrictions and endless red tape in their way. What will be the result? They will move on. And the only ones who'll be cheering will be bitter, crotchety, legalistic falang with halitosis and a retirement visa. Just what a progressive country needs.

And what so many of these bitter old farts don't realise is, they'll be next. More rules, more red tape, increasing costs and ever increasing economic prejudice, which will finish off all, but the most astute, in a decade or two.

If Thailand is not careful, it will unwittingly become as mean and boring as Malaysia. I wouldn't care if they gave me a life time visa, I and most others who have been there more than three times, would only consent to flying over it, on the way to Bali.

Shortsightedness, greed and an overwhelming lack of perspective produced these ridiculous "Elite" schemes. Elites might visit Thailand, once or twice but they won't and don't live here. They live in Monaco and Cote d'Azur, because they don't want to trip over beggars, smell the stench of sewerage whilst sitting in a restaurant or buy a fake Rolex.

Thailand is heading in the direction of becoming passé. Some of very qualities that made an accessible and great place to be are being undone.

And that makes me sad.

Talk about overly-dramatic hyperbole. You make it sound as if every young foreigner in Thailand being forced out is hardworking, energetic, dedicated, salt-of-the-earth, overachievers. But in reality, a rather large number are a bunch of lazy, undisciplined, underachieving no-loads who are only here for the cheap booze, cheap girls, and general lawlessness.

Yes, there are some really dedicated, energetic young foreigners working in Thailand. They all have work permits and are here legally.

You are right - there's lots of gits here.

And you are right again - there also lots of energetic foreigners trying to obey the law, trying to follow the regulations, trying to negotiate their way through the deceptive maze of bizarre accounting rules, trying to deal with immigration, customs and excise and the rest. But its getting harder and harder and harder. And increasingly, they are giving up in numbers. Especially when they realise the direction in which things are going, the way that things are at every turn, stacking up against them.

Thailand has the right to make and enforce laws as it pleases. This is incontrovertible. And foreigners also have the right to choose which jurisdiction serves their interests the best. The whole situation requires a nuanced and carefully considered approach. The current trend as I see it, does not serve the interests of the majority of Thai people. But that is only my opinion and of little weight or worth.

Don't worry, foreign writers, photographers, freelance IT people, designers, entrepreneurs and traders are on their way out. Amazing Thailand is fast becoming Tedious Thailand.

Try Non-Imm B with a work permit.

Just more sensationalist crap.

I'll pass on your advice to one of Thailands most famous foreign writers, who has just moved to Indonesia and two of the most brilliant black soul singers, that are now based in the Philippines. And to a host of movie production people and their companies that have also quietly moved on.

A world class Belgian photographer, used to base himself here and travel all over the world. But the hassles with getting his equipment in and out and immigration complications along with other things, forced him to leave. His six Thai domestic staff and another dozen employees will doubtless miss him.

Half a dozen Thai based IT development companies I know of, have closed down and their principles have moved to Sri Lanka. Several up and coming clothing designers have left. Even Indian gem merchants are packing up shop and going back to Jaipur. An award winning British jewellery designer and neighbour of mine, with loads of work from abroad, just left for Italy, because it just became too complicated here.

The people who bring innovation and opportunity are being squeezed out. This can't be good.

Absolute nonsense - why would any of these people be affected by a crackdown on Border Runners or people staying long term in Thailand using only Tourist Visas?

In virtually every instance you quote the person was obviously running a Business based in Thailand - and so should have established a proper, Legal Company here and they would have had no problems whatsoever obtaining a proper Visa and Work Permit.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Why aren't we thinking of ways to advance the place - to make it more attractive - so that talented people, see it as a place of opportunity. So that it becomes a mecca of talent, innovation, business and trade. Make it easy to start a business, to be a freelancer, to pay tax, to contribute, to employ and to develop. Why place endless obstructions, bureaucracy in the path of progress and development?

It is all those things already - for Thai citizens.

If you are a refugee then claim asylum as things are so terrible back home...

Or is it simply just that it is so nice here you want to stay, whether you are invited or not...

From Post #1045: No one for example in their right mind, would set up a company here, to do international marketing or IT development etc.

From BOI.go.th website search on 'Software' BOI registered companies:

http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=search_promoted&primary_select=C_NAME&primary_sort=asc&secondary_select=OFF_PRO&secondary_sort=asc&language_search=English&province=all&keyword=software (17 pages of listings by company name)

A huge list ....no doubt.

But Thailand's IT industry remains lacklustre. We barely have internet. Singapore has ten times more international nodes.

Entrepreneurs are mainly based out of Hong Kong and Singapore. Bangalore takes the cake for skills. And the rising star is Sri Lanka.

Thailand manufactures hard drives in which margins must compete with China. Brilliant.

And small innovators and freelancers, with new ideas, that are looking for a comfortable, inexpensive place to work are beginning to find that to be legal in Thailand is a huge headache.

Or is it simply just that it is so nice here you want to stay, whether you are invited or not...

My personal situation here is fine. I'm well pleased with it.

I'm legal, live like a prince, my business is offshore and I have no problems with immigration.

My concerns are about a general policy direction, which I think don't support the aspirations of the Thai people, with whom I have become attached. I'd prefer the see the place move forward and to offer all and sundry more and better opportunities.

I see extraordinary opportunities being squandered. I see unnecessary poverty, unnecessary hardship and unnecessary barriers.

Perhaps this is not the forum to express an altruistic perspective.

• Like 1

A huge list ....no doubt.

But Thailand's IT industry remains lacklustre. We barely have internet. Singapore has ten times more international nodes.

Entrepreneurs are mainly based out of Hong Kong and Singapore. Bangalore takes the cake for skills. And the rising star is Sri Lanka.

Thailand manufactures hard drives in which margins must compete with China. Brilliant.

And small innovators and freelancers, with new ideas, that are looking for a comfortable, inexpensive place to work are beginning to find that to be legal in Thailand is a huge headache.

Why don't you get back on topic. This is not a IT Thai bashing thread; it's about Thai Visas and Visa runs. If you want a job and a WP in IT there are lots of opportunities in Thailand to do it legally. Get a job.

In any event if you want a bashroo thread start your own. The OP is, "

No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12."

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I'm legal, live like a prince, my business is offshore and I have no problems with immigration.

My concerns are about a general policy direction, which I think don't support the aspirations of the Thai people, with whom I have become attached. I'd prefer the see the place move forward and to offer all and sundry more and better opportunities.

I see extraordinary opportunities being squandered. I see unnecessary poverty, unnecessary hardship and unnecessary barriers.

This is not a thread about general policy direction; therein lies your problem.

Heres a scenario, I know an old guy (74) who has been getting a one year Tourist Visa in the UK just providing info on a small pension as he is over 65. Not married. He has been using this route to "live" in LOS for years, but he must do a visa run ever 90 days. Obviously his PP shows Tourist visa runs, is he going to be stuffed.?

He goes back to the UK every year for a few days to obtain this type of visa.

Heres a scenario, I know an old guy (74) who has been getting a one year Tourist Visa in the UK just providing info on a small pension as he is over 65. Not married. He has been using this route to "live" in LOS for years, but he must do a visa run ever 90 days. Obviously his PP shows Tourist visa runs, is he going to be stuffed.?

There is no 1 year tourist visa.

He has a non-O based on retirement.

Don't worry, foreign writers, photographers, freelance IT people, designers, entrepreneurs and traders are on their way out. Amazing Thailand is fast becoming Tedious Thailand.

I'll pass on your advice to one of Thailands most famous foreign writers, who has just moved to Indonesia and two of the most brilliant black soul singers, that are now based in the Philippines. And to a host of movie production people and their companies that have also quietly moved on.

A world class Belgian photographer, used to base himself here and travel all over the world. But the hassles with getting his equipment in and out and immigration complications along with other things, forced him to leave. His six Thai domestic staff and another dozen employees will doubtless miss him.

Half a dozen Thai based IT development companies I know of, have closed down and their principles have moved to Sri Lanka. Several up and coming clothing designers have left. Even Indian gem merchants are packing up shop and going back to Jaipur. An award winning British jewellery designer and neighbour of mine, with loads of work from abroad, just left for Italy, because it just became too complicated here.

The people who bring innovation and opportunity are being squeezed out. This can't be good.

Absolute nonsense - why would any of these people be affected by a crackdown on Border Runners or people staying long term in Thailand using only Tourist Visas?

In virtually every instance you quote the person was obviously running a Business based in Thailand - and so should have established a proper, Legal Company here and they would have had no problems whatsoever obtaining a proper Visa and Work Permit.

Patrick

I never said they where affected by this last crackdown.

The point I was trying to make that many people find the conditions here, so tough that they move on. And I think that's a loss.

I've got companies in the UK, Hong Kong, the EU and Thailand. The Thai company is just a service company it has very few transaction and only with my other offshore companies. I do not need to use it for visa requirements. But the headaches and the bureaucracy with the Thai company outweigh all the rest of them combined. It serves its purpose and I'm fine with it - but the work involved to keep that creature within regulations is a nightmare. It was as though it has been designed to breach every scintilla of logic and efficiency.

So when you say

" In virtually every instance you quote the person was obviously running a Business based in Thailand - and so should have established a proper, Legal Company here and they would have had no problems whatsoever obtaining a proper Visa and Work Permit."

It sounds perfectly reasonable on the face of it. Except for the bit "no problems whatsoever". Because organising and running a Thai company in which everything is totally legal and above board, well, that is a huge challenge.

He told me it was marked tourist. I asked to see his PP cos I didn't understand it, didn't have it with him.

PS. If it was based on retirement why does he do visa runs to Lao.

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Patrick

The point I was trying to make that many people find the conditions here, so tough that they move on. And I think that's a loss.

I've got companies in the UK, Hong Kong, the EU and Thailand. The Thai company is just a service company it has very few transaction and only with my other offshore companies. I do not need to use it for visa requirements. But the headaches and the bureaucracy with the Thai company outweigh all the rest of them combined. It serves its purpose and I'm fine with it - but the work involved to keep that creature within regulations is a nightmare. It was as though it has been designed to breach every scintilla of logic and efficiency.

So when you say

" In virtually every instance you quote the person was obviously running a Business based in Thailand - and so should have established a proper, Legal Company here and they would have had no problems whatsoever obtaining a proper Visa and Work Permit."

It sounds perfectly reasonable on the face of it. Except for the bit "no problems whatsoever". Because organising and running a Thai company in which everything is totally legal and above board, well, that is a huge challenge.

You wrote, "I never said they where affected by this last crackdown." So why the heck are you posting in this thread?

He told me it was marked tourist. I asked to see his PP cos I didn't understand it, didn't have it with him.

Because it is not an extension based on retirement but a non-immigrant O visa, requiring an exit every 90 days.

• Like 1

Patrick

So when you say

You wrote, "I never said they where affected by this last crackdown." So why the heck are you posting in this thread?

Exactly - stop polluting this Thread with your pretensions and stay on Topic

Patrick

With absolutely no malice I suggest you post in the teaching forum as improving education is going to benefit the Thai people far more than opening their country to economic refugees from rich countries.

Because it is not an extension based on retirement but a non-immigrant O visa, requiring an exit every 90 days.

Yes I know, but I thought if for retirement you go to report every 90 days, not do a run, as this guy says to me it is a tourist visa for over 65's.

Yes I know, but I thought if for retirement you go to report every 90 days, not do a run, as this guy says to me it is a tourist visa for over 65's.

Only if you have a 1 year non-OA that gives you 1 year / entry or 1 year extension of stay.

Multiple entry non-O only gives you 90 day / entry

Only if you have a 1 year non-OA that gives you 1 year / entry or 1 year extension of stay.

Multiple entry non-O only gives you 90 day / entry

My point is this guy is given an O for "tourist" reasons, not retirement, a tourist that is living in LOS. Perhaps border immigration has noooooo idea how he has obtained an O visa but he is a guy living here on a tourist basis.

At the same time, news today says they are registering thousands of ILLEGAL WORKERS near Phuket so they can enjoy their cheap slave labor.

These workers are from Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia.

It's a very different problem as Thailand need them!

Thailand doesn't have workers enough for few qualification job.

how many condos are rented to illegal russian workers, hokers in pataya? 5 to 10 000 i guess, ...

You realise how ridiculous your statement is?

Sure there are hundreds of Russian working here illegally, but 10'000... no way! What job could they do?

BTW I never saw any Russian hooker in Pattaya... so their impact on condos is just zero wink.png

I have been propositioned by an Eastern European hooker on Second Rd. I don't know if she was "Russian" or not, but you can't say she wasn't.

I always assumed the caucasian trollops were from E. Europe.

Last year I saw Russian speaking gals operating brazenly at VTBS

as guides/greeters. This occupation is prohibited specifically, or

could it be their company got a waiver from the relevant authority?

At the same time, news today says they are registering thousands of ILLEGAL WORKERS near Phuket so they can enjoy their cheap slave labor.

how many condos are rented to illegal russian workers, hokers in pataya? 5 to 10 000 i guess, ...

Sure there are hundreds of Russian working here illegally, but 10'000... no way! What job could they do?

BTW I never saw any Russian hooker in Pattaya... so their impact on condos is just zero wink.png

I have been propositioned by an Eastern European hooker on Second Rd. I don't know if she was "Russian" or not, but you can't say she wasn't.

So she wasnt russian, there are no russian hookers, they are uzbekistan

Strangely I didn't see you there when I was being propositioned! I already said I didn't know, but she could have been Russian.

To CP -- Interesting and voluminous stuff. Now you are in the proverbial 30 second elevator ride with the (next) PM of Thailand -- what do you tell the PM about how to re-invent Thailand as to become the hub of lone eagle entrepreneurship in Asia?

Tall blond, short shorts, speaks Russian, drinks vodka neat and plays chess. Hmmm. Is she from Burma? Laos? Cincinnati?