Ebola outbreak in West Africa difficult to contain

Scott

Ebola from Pigs to Monkeys

A deadly Ebola virus can spread from pigs to monkeys without direct contact, pointing to pig farms as a possible contributor to outbreaks.

Although Ebola viruses can cause fatal disease in humans and other primates, pigs can carry the infections with few ill effects. Now, Canadian scientists have shown that apparently healthy pigs can pass the deadliest species of Ebola to monkeys, even without ever coming into contact with them.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33277/title/Ebola-from-Pigs-to-Monkeys/

Before jumping to conclusions about airborne transmission, the full article maybe should be read as there are important qualifiers including the following, as well as other, you glossed over:

---------

The study shows that the virus can spread without direct contact, but keep in mind that Ebola is not suddenly an airborne virus, like influenza, said Kobinger. Instead, the virus could have jumped from pigs to monkeys via small droplets in the air, or larger ones that splashed into the monkeys cages when the handlers cleaned the floor of the pigs area.

. . .

But, he added, this work was done in controlled conditions, and may not be representative of pigs running outside in the field, said Kobinger. His team is now headed to Africa, to collect samples from pigs in areas that have had Ebola outbreaks in the past. We just started this and are looking forward to see the results.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/33277/title/Ebola-from-Pigs-to-Monkeys/

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are trying to out smart nature and it's biting back.  We come up with a way to remove checks and balances on population growth, nature responds.

Right you are. The world is a state of homeostasis that we attempt to alter be it medicine, pesticides, pollution, over growth, deforestation and etc. sometimes Mother Nature bites back pretty hard when we f with her natural state. Super bugs/MRSA is a clear example if this which is actually more of a concern than Ebola.
  • Like 1

Ebola from Pigs to Monkeys

A deadly Ebola virus can spread from pigs to monkeys without direct contact, pointing to pig farms as a possible contributor to outbreaks.

Although Ebola viruses can cause fatal disease in humans and other primates, pigs can carry the infections with few ill effects. Now, Canadian scientists have shown that apparently healthy pigs can pass the deadliest species of Ebola to monkeys, even without ever coming into contact with them.

Before jumping to conclusions about airborne transmission, the full article maybe should be read as there are important qualifiers including the following, as well as other, you glossed over:

---------

The study shows that the virus can spread without direct contact, but keep in mind that Ebola is not suddenly an airborne virus, like influenza, said Kobinger. Instead, the virus could have jumped from pigs to monkeys via small droplets in the air, or larger ones that splashed into the monkeys cages when the handlers cleaned the floor of the pigs area.

. . .

But, he added, this work was done in controlled conditions, and may not be representative of pigs running outside in the field, said Kobinger. His team is now headed to Africa, to collect samples from pigs in areas that have had Ebola outbreaks in the past. We just started this and are looking forward to see the results.

" Before jumping to conclusions about airborne transmission, "

whether it is " airborne " or not is purely semantics because in medical terms being an airborne disease means that the virus has the ability to stay alive without a liquid carrier. If this virus is transferred through tiny droplets in the air this technically wouldn't be called an airborne virus.

The point is, no one has even mentioned this in the mainstream media and the bottom line for the average person is very simple -if you are in a room with someone infected with Ebola you are not safe.

Even if you never touch them or their bodily fluids and this is what we are not being told in the mainstream media.bah.gif

It's pretty indisputable that this strain is harder to contain and the rate at which this outbreak has extended its range is unprecedented.

Ebola crisis: Infected aid worker heads to US

A hospital in Atlanta is preparing to receive a US aid worker infected with the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28596416

This is troubling and interesting. Why bring here. Do we have some experimental medication? Am I insensitive and reading too much into this?

I think it's just so the poor soul gets the best care. They can handle infectious diseases like Ebola without spreading the virus.

If it's true that "they" can prevent Ebola from spreading, then how did these two aid workers get it?  I presume that while they were treating Ebola patients the aid workers were taking every precaution possible--but it didn't work. 

• Like 2

We are trying to out smart nature and it's biting back.  We come up with a way to remove checks and balances on population growth, nature responds.

I never forget seeing Dustin Hoffman being interviewed on set during the filming of  “  Outbreak “ in 1995 when he made these remarks  

"A lot of these viruses originate in the darkest parts of the earth and they have not come looking for us, we've stumbled into them," Hoffman said. "They don't have the capacity for vengeance, and in chopping down a tree in the rain forest we take away their host -- the thing they live off of. They need a new host, so they jump onto a human being, and like AIDS they can travel around the world.

"I did as much research as I could for this movie, and what struck me was that maybe life started with the virus. Maybe before there was a cell, there was a single strand of DNA and all life sprung from that. And since we're all basically viruses, maybe the most dangerous virus of all is human beings."ph34r.png

Ebola crisis: Infected aid worker heads to US

A hospital in Atlanta is preparing to receive a US aid worker infected with the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28596416

This is troubling and interesting. Why bring here. Do we have some experimental medication? Am I insensitive and reading too much into this?

I think it's just so the poor soul gets the best care. They can handle infectious diseases like Ebola without spreading the virus.

If it's true that "they" can prevent Ebola from spreading, then how did these two aid workers get it?  I presume that while they were treating Ebola patients the aid workers were taking every precaution possible--but it didn't work. 

Hectic situation, poor resources. CDC in Atlanta = totally controlled situation.

Hectic situation, poor resources. CDC in Atlanta = totally controlled situation.

Are you really sure about the CDC?  I've already said that I don't care if we do over-react.  I think that bringing these cases into the US is reckless, especially considering the CDC's recent sloppy handling of anthrax.  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/us/after-lapses-cdc-admits-a-lax-culture-at-labs.html

^^It does beg the question of what level of risk is acceptable. That said, flights are not being cancelled between affected areas and major transit hubs, far riskier in my opinion.

^^It does beg the question of what level of risk is acceptable. That said, flights are not being cancelled between affected areas and major transit hubs, far riskier in my opinion.

And those flights should be cancelled until this threat is verified as being over.

And those flights should be cancelled until this threat is verified as being over.

Oh definitely.

But as  zydeco said " Ebola patients the aid workers were taking every precaution possible "

And the CDC are hardly infallible

Earlier this month, we ran a report on the CDC anthrax blunder. As if that weren't bad enough, there have been additional exposures since we posted that report. This time, it involved the shipment of live, highly contagious, and deadly H5N1 avian influenza samples.

As previously reported, as many as 841 scientists and staff members at a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) biolab were exposed to live anthrax in June. The live pathogen had been sent from a higher-security facility.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/07/30/cdc-biolab-anthrax-release.aspx

• Like 1

^^ I work in the Hazmat business. We always take every precaution. Until we don't. Usually when under a lot of pressure in difficult field conditions which the text book doesn't mention. Short cuts and shortcomings.

Are you really sure about the CDC?  I've already said that I don't care if we do over-react.  I think that bringing these cases into the US is reckless, especially considering the CDC's recent sloppy handling of anthrax.  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/us/after-lapses-cdc-admits-a-lax-culture-at-labs.html

This was my point above labeled "malicious" by chang mai.  There must be a dang good underlying reason for CDC/Emory to bring someone with the virus into the United States.  This is very, very costly and does create some risks.  I have to believe they got someone in early stages and want to test an antidote.  Notice they are apparently leaving those US citizens previously identified that have been fighting to stay alive after contracting the virus and that includes a doctor from Texas being left behind.

• Like 1

Ebola crisis: Virus spreading too fast, says WHO

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is spreading faster than efforts to control it, World Health Organization (WHO) head Margaret Chan has said.

She told a summit of regional leaders that failure to contain Ebola could be "catastrophic" in terms of lives lost.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28610112

• Like 1

Yep, MJP, the headlines are not looking good. No one is providing any new numbers of those contracting virus or dead though.

--------

(CNN) - Fear over Ebola is growing as international leaders and health organizations struggle to try to stop the deadly epidemic in West Africa.

The Ebola outbreak "is moving faster than our efforts to control it," Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organization, said in a statement Friday. "This is an unprecedented outbreak accompanied by unprecedented challenges. And these challenges are extraordinary."

This is the first Ebola outbreak in West Africa and involves the most deadly strain in the Ebola virus family, Chan said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/01/health/ebola-outbreak-questions/

The workers, at least one of them, is not being taken to the CDC per se but, apparently, to a CDC affiliated university hospital at Emory.  This is all sounding rather hubristic to me.  Too much arrogant thinking about being in total control.  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/american-ebola-virus-patient-u-s-article-1.1887776

RAW VIDEO:Emory officials speak about Ebola patients coming to Atlanta

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/raw-video-emory-officials-speak-about-ebola/vCmD3P/

Edited by Asiantravel

People people people. One species. But what a species, eh!?! The only species to spread all over and cause extinctions and toxicity on grand scales. Humans cannot keep multiplying unheeded. Bad things are bound to happen. We had tsunami, then Fukushima. There have always been wars and pathogens. If we keep multiplying and commandeering land, with nothing to slow the process, we will eventually be standing, shoulder to shoulder, on cement floors or bare earth.
  • Like 1

More and more healthcare workers here in Bangkok have recently been wearing surgical masks.

Of course it is flu season as well.

Except the Ebola virus is not airborne, it's spread through contact so masks don't really serve any purpose.

The virus can be transmitted if the patient vomits into another person's face so perhaps health workers should also wear eye protection with suspected patients.  Charles Monet infected Dr Musoke with Ebola's close cousin - Marburg Virus by vomiting in his face including his eyes. As has been mentioned, The Hot Zone by Richard Preston is a good factual book to read.

More and more healthcare workers here in Bangkok have recently been wearing surgical masks.

Of course it is flu season as well.

Except the Ebola virus is not airborne, it's spread through contact so masks don't really serve any purpose.

The virus can be transmitted if the patient vomits into another person's face so perhaps health workers should also wear eye protection with suspected patients.  Charles Monet infected Dr Musoke with Ebola's close cousin - Marburg Virus by vomiting in his face including his eyes. As has been mentioned, The Hot Zone by Richard Preston is a good factual book to read.

Infected people vomiting into another persons face does not classify the virus as airborne! Airborne is as in the case of the flu or the common cold, AIDS is also not airborne!

Whatever are they teaching in schools these days!

Yes I know that vomiting does not classify the virus as airborne Chiang Mai. My thoughts are on how the health care workers including the 2 Americans are becoming infected with all the knowledge and precautions they must be taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good luck with this!blink.png

Ebola: Spider's web of infection is growing as hunt continues for 30,000 'victims' of outbreak

As Cabinet ministers held an emergency Cobra meeting in London – the search was widened to find up to 30,000 people who could be hosting the organism which kills 90% of sufferers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ebola-spiders-web-infection-growing-3939374

• Like 1

Ebola: Spider's web of infection is growing as hunt continues for 30,000 'victims' of outbreak

As Cabinet ministers held an emergency Cobra meeting in London – the search was widened to find up to 30,000 people who could be hosting the organism which kills 90% of sufferers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ebola-spiders-web-infection-growing-3939374

Daily Mirror, the centre of "factual" knowledge, readers deserve years shorn from their lives, simply for reading it in the first place.

Daily Mirror, the centre of "factual" knowledge, readers deserve years shorn from their lives, simply for reading it in the first place.

giggle.gif

I would have quoted the Daily Mail, which apparently carries a very similar story (is that acceptable to you as a news sourcerolleyes.gif ) but unfortunately the Daily Mail website is no longer accessible in Thailand after they wrote some disparaging remarks the political situation a few months ago.

More to the point, however, are you suggesting that just because it's the daily Mirror, there is some element of exaggeration or unreliability about the 30,000 people they are currently looking to identify?huh.png

Edited by Asiantravel

Ebola outbreak: We're heading towards a catastrophe, warns top medic

The health chief leading the fight against the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has warned it was spiralling out of control towards a “catastrophic” epidemic that could engulf the region.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/11006675/Ebola-outbreak-Were-heading-towards-a-catastrophe-warns-top-medic.html

Also mentioned is the risk of spread to other countries.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

The workers, at least one of them, is not being taken to the CDC per se but, apparently, to a CDC affiliated university hospital at Emory.  This is all sounding rather hubristic to me.  Too much arrogant thinking about being in total control.  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/american-ebola-virus-patient-u-s-article-1.1887776

RAW VIDEO:Emory officials speak about Ebola patients coming to Atlanta

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/raw-video-emory-officials-speak-about-ebola/vCmD3P/

Listening to that guy go on and on about his facilities and the supposed safety only underscores how dangerous this virus is.  He kept saying these aid workers "deserved" this level of intensified treatment because they were "humanitarians" who had volunteered to help others.  In this situation, I am forced to say, the price of humanitarianism should be to stay in the infection area instead of importing the virus into virgin territory.

The importance of containing this was in the real early stages, it would seem they have missed doing that unfortunately & now Ebola could be coming to a store near you.

It may really get a roll on now, the world is long overdue for an epidemic, is this one it?

Anyone seen any 'recent' numbers on this......if not, why not?