What options for someone in this position?

I have read of the possible crackdowns re visas and how immigration say people need to be on the right type of visa however there is not a visa for people in similar positions such as me = hence having to use a tourist visa.

1. I can't get an extension of stay based on marriage as I don't want to get married.

2. I'm not at retirement age.

3. I don't need to work in Thailand or get a work permit under current regulations as it is not possible (I work remotely for a company in the UK) it it were possible to get a permit to do this then OK but it's not.

4. It would not be affordable to form a company and pay all the social fees for 4 staff members as well as office space as this would diminish my salary and I would be working hard for nothing.

5. I'm too busy to dedicate time to attend a school for an ED visa. I work 7 days a week.

6. It would not really be affordable in the long run to get a business visa from say Singapore, paying a company for supporting documents every 3 months - this still however wouldn't be the 'right' type of visa.

Is anyone aware of anything that I'm not for people in this situation or should I start looking for an alternative residence :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think you could find time to attend classes 4 hours a week if you got an ED visa and extensions.

Your situation has been discussed in many other topics.

Working remotely for a UK company would still be illegal.

• Like 1

I don't need to work in Thailand

(I work remotely for a company in the UK)

But you do work in Thailand.

It would not be affordable to form a company and pay all the social fees for 4 staff members as well as office space as this would diminish my salary and I would be working hard for nothing.

In addition you would have to pay income tax on, I think, a minimum of 50,000 baht a month. Plus all the fees to renew your extension and permit. This is what many do if they wish to remain here.

So yes. I guess as you say you cannot legally remain in Thailand and pay no taxes, as you wish to do.

• Like 1

It would not be affordable to form a company and pay all the social fees for 4 staff members as well as office space as this would diminish my salary and I would be working hard for nothing.

In addition you would have to pay income tax on, I think, a minimum of 50,000 baht a month. Plus all the fees to renew your extension and permit. This is what many do if they wish to remain here.

So yes. I guess as you say you cannot legally remain in Thailand and pay no taxes, as you wish to do.

I would have no issue about paying taxes on my salary if there was an option to do so that would let me stay properly. By work in Thailand I meant through the current accepted ways to do so. My salary is simply not large enough to pay for an office and staff etc, visa fees and permit fees are fair enough.

My reason for creating this topic was more out of amusement for myself rather than anything else, there is no 'proper visa' for lots of people that stay here.

I have some friends who got a 1 year ED Visa for 30.000 Baht. They are only required to attend class for 2 hours per week. I think you can mange it, even if you are busy. It is not super cheap, but as far as I know, this is the only option you have. I have heard there are also schools which could give you the Visa without attending any class, but of course you would take the change of getting caught. I don't know how likely it is, though...

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don't get why he should pay taxes in Thailand. If he has a UK company, that means he pays taxes there. Or in your opinion he should pay taxes in both countries?

Edited by rogerpilly

Sorry, but I don't get why he should pay taxes in Thailand. If he has a UK company, that means he pays taxes there. Or in your opinion he should pay taxes in both countries?

He works in Thailand and so has to pay Thai income tax. He then can use the tax letter against his UK tax and get some of that money back.

• Like 1

I have read of the possible crackdowns re visas and how immigration say people need to be on the right type of visa however there is not a visa for people in similar positions such as me = hence having to use a tourist visa.

1. I can't get an extension of stay based on marriage as I don't want to get married.

2. I'm not at retirement age.

3. I don't need to work in Thailand or get a work permit under current regulations as it is not possible (I work remotely for a company in the UK) it it were possible to get a permit to do this then OK but it's not.

4. It would not be affordable to form a company and pay all the social fees for 4 staff members as well as office space as this would diminish my salary and I would be working hard for nothing.

5. I'm too busy to dedicate time to attend a school for an ED visa. I work 7 days a week.

6. It would not really be affordable in the long run to get a business visa from say Singapore, paying a company for supporting documents every 3 months - this still however wouldn't be the 'right' type of visa.

Is anyone aware of anything that I'm not for people in this situation or should I start looking for an alternative residence :)

You use the right username! Better look for a other place to live.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Why not Thailand Elite card? If not, ED is your only option.

I am now looking at Cambodia or the Phillippines. Both very easy to get a visa.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm considering Cambodia I must admit however it does have its downsides, been loads of times and have found accommodation to be a lot more expensive, the internet to be again more expensive and a lot slower, there is generally a basic lack of amenities and at least in Phnom Penh where I've been it's not the most pleasant of places.

Regarding the elite card if it gave you rights more than an extended stay then perhaps, say a path to residence. 500,000 is also quite a lot of money - working freelance doesn't mean you make a fortune, I choose to live here as my money goes further than in the UK.

Seems like Elite Card may be the only option, costs 100k baht a year (no visa runs), prepaid for 5 years – some posters says that saving expenses for visa runs etc. and all the hassle, it ends up being not that costly…

There is a recently new a tread about Elite Card on TV Forum.

• Like 2

The Philippines is not that easy to get a visa in. Cambodia is, on the other hand, a doddle. You can legally work from home in the set up you have in Cambodia. You can't in Thailand. Having said that, an ED-visa costs about 30K Baht a year (about the same as multiple border runs) and requires a poxy 2-4 hours a week commitment depending on which school you sign up with. I work for an overseas entity too. I work very hard and serious hours. I could still find 2 hours a week if I had to, to meet any visa stipulations.

This topic is done to death elsewhere. There's as many different opinions as there are people -- no consensus at all. Maybe a phone call to the elite card offices would explain what is needed for your situation, but you have to realise that there are many countries which will not allow you to live the way you describe.

I'd look at the Carribean if I was you ;)

I have some friends who got a 1 year ED Visa for 30.000 Baht. They are only required to attend class for 2 hours per week. I think you can mange it, even if you are busy. It is not super cheap, but as far as I know, this is the only option you have. I have heard there are also schools which could give you the Visa without attending any class, but of course you would take the change of getting caught. I don't know how likely it is, though...

Sure, let's all talk and praise ED visa as an alternative until that this the powers that

be, the junta/immigration will wise up to that and get on top of the situation,

nicely done guys....

Nobody should get an ED visa if you only study a couple of hours a week.

• Like 1

Same situation for me but not working at all in Thailand. Back to Europe every year for few months to make money and back to Thailand to spend it. Under 50 y.o. And not married. But coming with tourist visa triple entries. No border visa run. Just flying to Singapore . Any risks? As long as I have visa with entries shouldn't be a problem ?!?!

Edited by plaloma
  • Like 1

Why not Thailand Elite card? If not, ED is your only option.

I am now looking at Cambodia or the Phillippines. Both very easy to get a visa.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm considering Cambodia I must admit however it does have its downsides, been loads of times and have found accommodation to be a lot more expensive, the internet to be again more expensive and a lot slower, there is generally a basic lack of amenities and at least in Phnom Penh where I've been it's not the most pleasant of places.

Regarding the elite card if it gave you rights more than an extended stay then perhaps, say a path to residence. 500,000 is also quite a lot of money - working freelance doesn't mean you make a fortune, I choose to live here as my money goes further than in the UK.

The hole you are digging for yourself is getting deeper and deeper.

You are on a tourist visa, working illegally. You need a work permit

You are on a tourist visa, yet choose to live here illegally. Your visa is for the purposes of tourism not to set up house

Having been to Cambodia "loads of times" will raise your profile as a visa runner if the trips have been from Thailand and return.

I think you need to make some adult decisions rather quickly, before somebody does it for you.

• Like 2

If this UK company is being managed from abroad with also most work and income being generated while being abroad, having no local employees and no actual goods being sold to UK customers, then for tax purposes this company is not considered to be a UK company or tax liable in the UK apart from VAT, but in the country where these activities take place. In this case Thailand. So both corporate tax and (if you spend more than 180 days per year in Thailand) personal income tax are to be paid to Thai RD.

Sure, let's all talk and praise ED visa as an alternative until that this the powers that

be, the junta/immigration will wise up to that and get on top of the situation,

nicely done guys....

Yes it does seem to be a repeated action-and-reaction situation that all the TV pundits fail to understand.

Chat about the ways to game the system and circumvent the immigrations rules & regulations and then act surprised when more loopholes are closed, impacting even those who were legitimately using the system.

nicely done guys....

Amen

Edited by Suradit69

I thought posting advise on breaking the law was not permitted on the forum (even though a moderator posted essentially the same information above). Telling people to purchase an ED visa so they can reside in Thailand to work, when they have clearly stated they have no wish to learn Thai and are only in it for the visa, is flouting the spirit, if not the letter, of the law.