What options for someone in this position?

The only other crappy option you left out was paying a fortune for an Elite Visa. You and I are in the same boat. We are screwed. When you figure out where we are moving too PM me.

Don't fret about it, there are plenty of tropical countries around the world, with cheap booze and loose women, just like Thailand that will be happy to have you. I'm even sure they all have internet connections too for whatever it is you guys claim to do online to make a living.

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The only other crappy option you left out was paying a fortune for an Elite Visa. You and I are in the same boat. We are screwed. When you figure out where we are moving too PM me.

Don't fret about it, there are plenty of tropical countries around the world, with cheap booze and loose women, just like Thailand that will be happy to have you. I'm even sure they all have internet connections too for whatever it is you guys claim to do online to make a living.

Actually I am on a pension and have a serious GF and don't drink so you missed the mark a bit.

If this UK company is being managed from abroad with also most work and income being generated while being abroad, having no local employees and no actual goods being sold to UK customers, then for tax purposes this company is not considered to be a UK company or tax liable in the UK apart from VAT, but in the country where these activities take place. In this case Thailand. So both corporate tax and (if you spend more than 180 days per year in Thailand) personal income tax are to be paid to Thai RD.

In Canada, before you can stop paying tax, you have to show them you pay tax elsewhere, I think something similar must be in the UK as well.

Actually I am on a pension and have a serious GF and don't drink so you missed the mark a bit.

A GF doesn't count, even the serious one. :D

You aren't in the same boat with OP, you can get a retirement visa.

You must be flexible:

- Get education visa..and learn the language/culture. Its not hard..and honestly, you will enjoy Thailand more when you do it.

- Use education visa to learn/grow..you don't even need to use it for language!

- You could be very adventurous and call Thailand home for 1 month, Philippines home for a few months, and Vietnam home for a few months. Just cycle through them. I think you can return to Thailand ever 3-4 months? Not sure.

Trust me, I am in the same position. Easiest option is the education visa. I have a business, not quite ready to hire 4 workers.

Let me guess, like many others you want to have an income without paying tax. Actually, you would be much better off in Malaysia. They have a much more tolerant regime when it comes to remitting offshore income back to Malaysia. However, setting up a company which includes a work permit for one expat, requires more than 4 million baht in paid up capital.

I am a freelance inspector appointed by the European commission to deliver EC-type certificates. I do not employ 4 people as I have no use of them. Thus cannot get a workpermit my only alternative is to sell everything I have here. Go back to Europe and have the industry to pay my flight and my travel expenses every time they need me. And still even for two days in the country I will be working illegally. I understand that they want to get rid of people costing money to the state but they are going to loose more than what they are going to win.

Believe there are temporary Work Permits available for business representatives, service engineers and the like (delivery of EC certificates) – have read about either in this Forum or from some law firms offering Work Permit services – nothing changed for those working legally, so worth checking…

Edited by khunPer

These new rules are for people like you.

It would not be affordable to form a company and pay all the social fees for 4 staff members as well as office space as this would diminish my salary and I would be working hard for nothing.

You are working without a work permit and breaking the law. Thailand is not the place to be for you.

double post

Edited by arunsakda

These new rules are for people like you.

It would not be affordable to form a company and pay all the social fees for 4 staff members as well as office space as this would diminish my salary and I would be working hard for nothing.

You are working without a work permit and breaking the law. Thailand is not the place to be for you.

The main focus of the crackdown IMHO are Russians illegally running everything from a few Blondies walking a Kerb in Patts to large Travel Agencies.

Koreans have entire Plazas in BKK and elsewhere filled with illegal business staffed largely by illegals. (All this is facilitated

by pervasive corruption, but let's not deal with the real problem here). You are renting, eating,buying, and doing an online overseas remunerated

job that should be available to any Thai with the requisite skill set. Unfortunately old labour/tax laws have not kept up with pervasive change in the nature of work with its trend to

more online employment. Unfortunately even if you take a few hours off a week to study Thai (ED ) or punt for the Elite card, apparently working online is illegal, and

there is no legal way for you to pay your required local taxes even if you want to. So even if you are not the main target of this enhanced enforcement of existing regulations,

you are affected. So are all the Thais you employ indirectly with your drinking, shopping, renting and buying if you leave and spend elsewhere.

Edited by arunsakda

Let me guess, like many others you want to have an income without paying tax. Actually, you would be much better off in Malaysia. They have a much more tolerant

regime when it comes to remitting offshore income back to Malaysia. However, setting up a company which includes a work permit for one expat, requires more than 4 million baht in paid up capital.

Why do you always believe that we are trying to avoid paying taxes? I have no problem with paying taxes especially not in Thailand as it is very low anyhow. The problem is that the Thai government does not seem interested in us paying taxes. I whish I could. Malaysia might be a solution yet but why must I keep moving when I am trying to help the industry. They should be happy to have me here instead of kicking me out.

I am a freelance inspector appointed by the European commission to deliver EC-type certificates. I do not employ 4 people as I have no use of them. Thus cannot get a workpermit my only alternative is to sell everything I have here. Go back to Europe and have the industry to pay my flight and my travel expenses every time they need me. And still even for two days in the country I will be working illegally. I understand that they want to get rid of people costing money to the state but they are going to loose more than what they are going to win.

Believe there are temporary Work Permits available for business representatives, service engineers and the like (delivery of EC certificates) have read about either in this Forum or from some law firms offering Work Permit services nothing changed for those working legally, so worth checking

Believe there are temporary Work Permits available for business representatives, service engineers and the like (delivery of EC certificates) have read about either in this Forum or from some law firms offering Work Permit services nothing changed for those working legally, so worth checking

As you said they are temporary while the industry needs me on a permanent base and I honestly do not feel to keep a second residence in an airplane.

As you said they are temporary while the industry needs me on a permanent base and I honestly do not feel to keep a second residence in an airplane.

Seems you have same options as everyone: get a job w/permit, retirement extension if over 50, go back to school, or take the squeeze box back to farangland.

As many of the other friendly, and not so friendly responses have already said, if you wish to remain in Thailand given your current situation your only legal course of action appears to be the Elite program: http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php The going rate for the 5 year individual membership is 500,000 Baht plus tax . . . a bit pricey! Otherwise it appears you need to look for residence elsewhere. How about back home to the UK and travel to Thailand when you can and stay up to the legal limits of a tourist visa, which I believe you can still do for up to 90 days. Good luck

cambodia is your answer

Cambodia from everything I've read is far from the answer.

At least Bangkok is a modern city. Do Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos have a cities even close to being as modern and international as Bangkok?

Seems to me like same business as always and no change at all – one cannot legally work part time or full time in Thailand without a Work Permit...

OK, my two cents. I love Thailand BUT IT IS NOT the only cheap place to live with hot girls!!

If you really make even ok money and can work anywhere with an Internet connection. Get your travel boots on. I promise you will find a place of your liking. I am planning to check out the Philippines as I can get a visa just for having some money and over 35. Yes, 35!!!!!

Cambodia is not bad and PERFECT if you are broke. PP is a bit rough. I may even try Siem Reap. I have only visited there but thinking it may be a good option. $300 for the visa, come and go as I please, no 90 reports. I am also hearing you can live in a resort style hotel $500 all in. Cheaper can also be found.

The bottom line is if you got even moderate income, SE Asia is the place to be and I can't wait to get back. Not bashing the USA BUT IT IS BORING!!!

As many of the other friendly, and not so friendly responses have already said, if you wish to remain in Thailand given your current situation your only legal course of action appears to be the Elite program: http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php The going rate for the 5 year individual membership is 500,000 Baht plus tax . . . a bit pricey! Otherwise it appears you need to look for residence elsewhere. How about back home to the UK and travel to Thailand when you can and stay up to the legal limits of a tourist visa, which I believe you can still do for up to 90 days. Good luck

Is the part about VAT correct? So then it's actually 535,000 baht for the 5-year visa, or 107k per year.

Is the part about VAT correct? So then it's actually 535,000 baht for the 5-year visa, or 107k per year.

No. 5 Yrs card is half a mill all taxes included.