Crackdown: D-Day to begin Thursday on Thai traffic violations

webfact

crack down on traffic violators particularly arresting drivers who are caught overtaking cars in prohibited areas, stopping beyond crossing lines, blocking intersections, driving the wrong way, and using fake licence plates

Since when was stopping past the crossing line an arrestable offense?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Second to China, Thailand has the worst drivers in the world. This is a culture that has grown for many generations and will not be easy to overcome. There are not enough police in the country to change their habits.

In Chiang Rai it has to be one of the worst places. It has been so long since I have seen a traffic policeman I have forgotten what they look like. Where are they? Hoping that the army can do something about this major problem. Chiang Rai deaths during Songkran is still the highest per capita in the nation.

So...........I guess you have never been to Bombay/Mumbai, silly boy..................... No comparison!

• Like 1

Yes big fat half naked falangs on big fat monster bikes should be dealt with first!

Yes they REALLY cause many more injuries & deaths than all the other violations combined...........(some peoples kids).........

Discipline, discipline, discipline. Why can't the authorities understand that.

99% of the motorists state-side will wait at stop light with no traffic in sight, because they are disciplined. The motorists here, both foreigners and Thais are undisciplined componded by their own belief that they all have the right to drive.

They can't sustain those intersections, and motorists will just avoid those intersections and continue to break the law elsewhere...duh.

How long will this operation/campaign last?... A week, A month, A year? Then what... back to the same-old same-old.

But I will commend the authorities for trying... that counts for something.

• Like 1

I cannot see this working!!! If the police seriously and honestly enforced the rules, then on the first day, 10% of the police force would have arrested 90% of the police force for riding the wrong way on the streets......

10% of the remaining police force is not enough to enforce the crack down ....

clap2.gif

"Can any one give me a list of the correct road rules in Thailand in English? I have been told one must give way to the left,but this just does not work on a round-a-bout."

In Thailand you only need to give way if the vehicle is bigger than you or driving crazy.

What about farangs driving motor bikes with only the shorts on and no driving license.

Bugger me! To think that all this time i have been guilty of law breaking. But in my defense i have to admit that i did not know that it is against the law to wear shorts on my motorcy . facepalm.giffacepalm.gifsad.png

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

Can any one give me a list of the correct road rules in Thailand in English? I have been told one must give way to the left,but this just does not work on a round-a-bout.

I always give way to my right. I have a copy of Thai road rules, but cannot read Thai. I notice that every time i come to a round about and stop for traffic on my right, there will be some 'twit' who stops right in the middle of the roundabout bringing everything to a halt.

Thais have no idea how to behave in traffic. As someone has said, "No mention of helmets" also no mention of producing a driving licence, which must be the first question asked. No licence, not allowed to drive should be the norm. Park the car, get out and walk !

Due to their laziness over the years the RTP have done nothing regarding road rules and everyone has been allowed to do whatever they like when driving. Therefore the whole blame for this dangerous driving situation can directly be put at the feet of the RTP.

They are overtaking cars in prohibited areas, stopping beyond crossing lines, blocking intersections, driving the wrong way, and using fake licence plates.

If they take this serious, and put the money in the state coffers, I have no doubts that Thailand will be out of debts by the end of this month .

Thailand has the second-worst motor vehicle death rate in the world. Only Namibia has more fatalities. As bad as they are, Chinese, Cambodian and Vietnamese drivers are demonstrably better than Thai drivers.

what about patrolling the streets and doing some serious work like punishing who drives with the influence of drugs or alcohol instead looking for people who crossing the lines?!?! w00t.gif

They should seriously need a crackdown for sure, but first within their decision makers who come up with these silly unrealistic ideas followed by zero law enforcement.

Any improvement would be substantial, as the Thai police re-define the very definition of under performers, on a daily basis. The lack of traffic safety here has to put Thailand near the bottom of the world in that category. I think maybe Burkina Faso, and Guinea are at Thailands level of gross incompetence and indifference when it comes to the thousands of traffic deaths taking place.

here is an excerpt from a recent article in the Nation:

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.
These statistics were released at a press conference by Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana yesterday.

He told the press that the key causes for the deaths were speeding, drunk driving or the failure to wear safety belts or crash helmets - all of which are offences under traffic laws.

Last year, just 43 per cent of motorcyclists and their passengers nationwide wore helmets, down from 46 per cent a year earlier.

Dr Witaya Chadbanchachai, who is collaborating with the World Health Organisation (WHO) in an accident-prevention campaign, said yesterday that relevant agencies needed to work harder on getting people to wear helmets.

Silapachai said that since 1996, all motorcyclists and motorcycle passengers have been required by law to wear a helmet.

"Without helmets, both motorcyclists and passengers face the risk of sustaining serious head injuries in road accidents," he said.

According to the 2011 World Road Statistics, Thailand was one of the top five countries with the highest number of motorcycle-related deaths.

Danai Ruangsorn, president of the Thai Roads Foundation, said the percentage of children wearing helmets on motorcycles was also very low.

"Just 7 per cent wear a helmet," he said.

Last year's survey showed that only about 28 per cent of teenage motorcyclists and about 49 per cent of adults wore helmets. Bangkok had the highest number or 80 per cent of helmet wearers, while only 20 per cent of motorcyclists in Beung Kan, Lamphun, Chaiyaphum, Narathiwat and Nakhon Phanom were found wearing helmets.

How on earth do you expect to call yourself a police force, if you do not enforce the helmet laws, licensing laws (have you ever seen so many 11 year olds driving motorcycles in your life?) drunk driving laws, reckless driving laws, speeding laws, etc, etc. They are not really police. They are a revenue collection agency wearing police uniforms. Time for reform. But, from the ground up.

3 things,

1. Will the BIB finally stop young kids riding motor bikes on the road? as they do not have a license...

2. Stop the purchased drivers license's.

3. Time to get your dash cam's people as you will be pulled up for all sorts of cock n bull traffic violations and it will get expensive real fast, dash cams will help you and your wallet. I have a 2 lens cam one pointed at the front and the second at the driver side window so if pulled up by BIB wanting some tea money I simply point to the cam screen with them in full view and smile,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

3 things,

1. Will the BIB finally stop young kids riding motor bikes on the road? as they do not have a license...

2. Stop the purchased drivers license's.

3. Time to get your dash cam's people as you will be pulled up for all sorts of cock n bull traffic violations and it will get expensive real fast, dash cams will help you and your wallet. I have a 2 lens cam one pointed at the front and the second at the driver side window so if pulled up by BIB wanting some tea money I simply point to the cam screen with them in full view and smile,

Where can I get a dash cam for my Honda motorbike? My DSLR and Zoom Lens are hard to operate with one hand.