Crackdown: D-Day to begin Thursday on Thai traffic violations

webfact

How about enforcing the law's when some Thai driver hits someone walking on a road or trying to cross a road and not stopping. Oh....that's right, that is allowed here in Thailand

No it's not,it's just nobody gives a rats arse except for the person hit

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about enforcing the law's when some Thai driver hits someone walking on a road or trying to cross a road and not stopping. Oh....that's right, that is allowed here in Thailand

No it's not,it's just nobody gives a rats arse except for the person hit
Exactly my point. No body gives a rats Arse except for the person hit!! Enforce the law's and maybe this will stop.

It has started in Chiang Mai. I just got motioned to pull over at a roadside check on the 2nd Ring. There were many opportunities for me to be taken advantage of but had no problems.

By many opportunities I mean, I was driving a older vw with no seat belts(never had them from the factory), insurance was paid but the window sticker was a couple days expired from his reaction when he looked at it.

He asked for license (provided 5 year), no problem. My 6 year old son, leaned out of the back seat and said "hey, we don't have seat belts", no problem. He disliked the window sticker, I provided an envelope from my insurance agent and he looked through it and gave back the paperwork and license and said ok no problem.

The window sticker is expired and one's in the mail from the insurance agent.

So, it's hard to say they are taking advantage of anyone in this instance. It would have been easy to extract something from me for the seat belts (even though I'm legal without) or the window permit being expired but they acted in a very professional manner used a little common sense..

• Like 1

This is a step in the right direction. Saw this on the evening news and it actually sounds like they are going to start enforcing at least some "moving violation". I'd like to see them start enforcing illegal left hand turns on red lights especially around Narawat Bridge in Chiang Mai. There are signs in Thai and clearly state the turns are illegal on a red light. Sorry farangs who don't read Thai.

Second to China, Thailand has the worst drivers in the world. This is a culture that has grown for many generations and will not be easy to overcome. There are not enough police in the country to change their habits.

In Chiang Rai it has to be one of the worst places. It has been so long since I have seen a traffic policeman I have forgotten what they look like. Where are they? Hoping that the army can do something about this major problem. Chiang Rai deaths during Songkran is still the highest per capita in the nation.

One generation back they were riding buffalo cats. Now the buffalo is behind the wheel....

• Like 1

For change to happen, the people need to start thinking differently. To move away from the primary and main objective of self-advantage at all costs.

I cannot see it happening in my life time.

Not true about thinking differently. The easy way for things to change is to make it more advantageous to follow the rules than break them.

For example, follow the history of seat belts. Despite all evidence that they saved lives, most people didn't wear them until they became mandatory- and people were caught out and punished for not wearing them.

That's the main reason we in the west obey traffic rules- we get caught and (meaningfully) punished if we don't. It's a conditioned response, and not some sign of a higher civility.
  • Like 1

Second to China, Thailand has the worst drivers in the world. This is a culture that has grown for many generations and will not be easy to overcome. There are not enough police in the country to change their habits.

In Chiang Rai it has to be one of the worst places. It has been so long since I have seen a traffic policeman I have forgotten what they look like. Where are they? Hoping that the army can do something about this major problem. Chiang Rai deaths during Songkran is still the highest per capita in the nation.

Thailand has the worst drivers...

Nope. Have you ever been to the Arab countries, Latin Americas ? To Africa, i.e. Nigeria, India, Pakistan... and such ?

At least Thai driver refrain from using the horn every other second.

They are lousy but far from the worst.

This is a step in the right direction. Saw this on the evening news and it actually sounds like they are going to start enforcing at least some "moving violation". I'd like to see them start enforcing illegal left hand turns on red lights especially around Narawat Bridge in Chiang Mai. There are signs in Thai and clearly state the turns are illegal on a red light. Sorry farangs who don't read Thai.

Not allowing left hand turn at a red light is akin to blocking traffic flow.

In Europe it is allowed at every traffic light.

Not allowing left hand turn at a red light is akin to blocking traffic flow.

In Europe it is allowed at every traffic light.

Ehm.... Most European countries have right-hand-traffic. wink.png

In Germany you are NOT allowed to make right turns on red with few exception when posted..

Actually I think Thai drivers are far more sensitive to the needs of other road users than the British. Having driven extensively on motorbikes and cars in both countries for years I prefer Thai roads. I don't have much experience of driving outside of Bangkok so maybe it's different but here in Krungtep although there are accidents of course and negligence (mostly about kids and helmets) they are calmer and less pedantic about rules that don't always matter.