Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

I work in the mining sector and I visit Thailand every 4th or 5th week for 1 to 2 weeks on my R & R. I rent an apartment and my GF lives in it while I work overseas. I enter Thailand through Bangkok airport and have my passport stamped (not a visa) I will be flying into Bangkok on the 23rd July and my question is, what are my chances of being turned away at immigration?

I do not work in Thailand while I am there, genuine tourist only.

I don't think you're a genuine tourist, not with your girlfriend living here and this apparently your homebase.

But I don't see you having any problems at the border.

Edited by stevenl

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Yeh there is a few people crying about it.

For some, the Thai rules dont give them an option to stay.

They love the country and the people, dont work and can support themselves. I really feel sad for the people in this category.

So dont cheer too loudly about all of the people going home. Ok Thailand is enforcing its laws so it should. But it is Thailand who has allowed these people easy access for as long as I can remember, so these people put down roots.

Others formed partnerships and become part of Thailand as a new way of life. They will be crying too.

At the end of the day, the ones with no money have to leave. That is what this whole thing is about.

Why would anyone love Thailand? Corrupt, unstable, military dictatorship that despise white foreigners.

Under 50, don't work ..... I think not, so few people in this category, not worth letting the few in.

Let's face it, they are almost all hustling, teaching, working on the sly. I've met loads, none of them legit.

Why would anyone 'put down roots' in a country they are not entitled to live? Madness.

Formed partnerships? Get married, it's easy.

I would wager that embassy and consulates are processing higher a than average number of lost passport requests in light of the visa crackdown... A clean passport gives you a clean start at the borders...

But don't they have a history for each people in the inmigration computers ?

They have computers?

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

Alternate with another country,

Thailand, Philippine, Nepal all have a great climate.

What's so special about Thailand?

I really don't understand the desperation foreigners have to stay in Thailand, it ain't that great a place.

There are dozens of countries that offer the same or more, for a similar price.

Why are you in this forum? Dozens of other forums for similar price!

• Like 2

Everyone knew the score a long time ago that visa hops would eventually stop and have had plenty opportunity and time to get an appropriate Visa for a long term visit/work to Thailand just like all the sensible people already have done.

• Like 1

Yeh there is a few people crying about it.

For some, the Thai rules dont give them an option to stay.

They love the country and the people, dont work and can support themselves. I really feel sad for the people in this category.

So dont cheer too loudly about all of the people going home. Ok Thailand is enforcing its laws so it should. But it is Thailand who has allowed these people easy access for as long as I can remember, so these people put down roots.

Others formed partnerships and become part of Thailand as a new way of life. They will be crying too.

At the end of the day, the ones with no money have to leave. That is what this whole thing is about.

Why would anyone love Thailand? Corrupt, unstable, military dictatorship that despise white foreigners.

Under 50, don't work ..... I think not, so few people in this category, not worth letting the few in.

Let's face it, they are almost all hustling, teaching, working on the sly. I've met loads, none of them legit.

Why would anyone 'put down roots' in a country they are not entitled to live? Madness.

Formed partnerships? Get married, it's easy.

Many people love to be in Thailand. The military is doing a brilliant job! We see progress every day. People put their roots down because the Thai rules allowed it openly for years and years, so where is the madness? Not everyone who forms friendships and partnerships wants to marry! You are so negative pal.

I am talking about, people who don’t work. Can pay their own way. Want to be in Thailand.Want to be part of the community, But the Thai don’t cater for the under 50s unless they pay big money, It’s the people with little money who cannot stay. It’s them I feel for. Not the hustlers and illegal workers.

This may be of some help to the offshore rotational guys;

I work 5 x 5 rotation outside of Thailand, normally spend the 4 weeks i get from my Visa Exempt passport and then go to immigration (if I can't get back to work early) and pay 1900THB for the extra week. Had no problem doing this last month. My current passport has had only one tourist Visa which I received in Laos, but no back-to-backs or overstays.

When I saw the new rules I panicked as I have a Thai partner and 9 month old son, and we own our house.

I sent an email to Siam Legal, to ask them which type of Visa I should apply for, as I don't wan't to do anything other than what the law states. I was sent a reply which stated:

Dear ***,

Thank you for contacting Siam Legal International. As long as you can present them a return ticket and proof that you are working in ****, not in Thailand, it is all right. You will not encounter any problem at the Immigration.

Regards,

So anyway I'm returning to Thailand in the next few days, I am praying to buddha that I will be OK, otherwise I checked online and it looks like the Thailand Elite easy access Visa will be for me. It costs 500,000 THB for 5 years, but has loads of perks with it and I guess no more worrying about if I will get to see my family again.

I feel so sorry for the other people who are living there under similar circumstances ie under 50, not married but have family and their worldly possessions, and that contribute greatly to the Thai economy. Surely karma will ensure that we can continue living in this great country. wai2.gif

• Like 1

I'll find out how this is going to pan out for me next week when I fly back in after being back in Malaysia for a month. Looks like I wont face being turned away at the airport until 12th , so apart from a few questions I should get in. Out on 2 August and then back in on 16th September , so that could be the one when things start getting interesting , I'm relying on my Malaysia residency card , work contracts from Malaysia , return ticket itinerary and a Immigration officer with "discretion" to get let back in. Would it be worth mentioning I have legal custody of my children (Will be getting the proper Visa when i finish work in Malaysia)or will that leave the door open for them to tell me I'm not a Tourist if I'm in Thailand visiting my kids ?? I suppose it adds a bit of excitement to what was becoming a bit of a mundane trip

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today. It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air. Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

Thanks , I suppose the grey area lies in defining "Back to back " what constitutes a reasonable period outside of Thailand before returning. I may be optimistic but I'm betting I'll be ok to continue to come in ,normally for a few days every 6 weeks or so , depending who Im facing at the Immigration counter. I should be getting 90 day O followed by a 1 year later in the year , but the period in between could be interesting

I am in a similar position as you Dave, work in Malaysia, I have the 1 year work pass and iPass card.

I come to Thailand for 5 or 6 days every 4 or 6 weeks using the visa waiver, I think I should be ok???

I have never done a out/in on the same day before and never had a tourist visa either.

I am 49 next birthday so to young for the over 50 visa, not legally married and no kids in Thailand so Non-Imm O is out of the question.

The visa waiver is about the only option I have as I do not get much notice when I get days off.

Maybe look at the 5 year Elite card, but I would rather avoid that until I retire.

FD

baxida,

I sent a similar question to Siam legal this morning

The majority of people including Siam Legal have assured me that we will be fine, but I just don't see how I now have to 'pretend' that I don't live there, just because my job allows me to travel in and out on my passport's Visa-Free basis!!

5555, Except for the UK Passport Holders. What's the current waiting time for a new passport for them 8++ weeks ?

UK passport took me 4 days from within UK using the post office service. O Visa for Thailand then took 1 week, (sent to hull but the had to send to London for approval, had to prove i had £18000 in a UK bank account, (yes a UK bank account)

Edited by waynerooney

Whats the current turn-around time if I have to trek from Aranyapratet/Poipet, to Phnom Phenn for a legit Tourist visa?

Or

Having gotten to Phnom Phenn, would I just as well be better to fly-out from there and back into Swampy, and would I receive another 30 days visa exempt?

This would all be before the dreaded 12th August!

baxida,

The majority of people including Siam Legal have assured me that we will be fine, but I just don't see how I now have to 'pretend' that I don't live there, just because my job allows me to travel in and out on my passport's Visa-Free basis!!

Yes same as that , do i tell them I'm there to see my kids , or do I just say I'm coming to have a short holiday

baxida,

Yes same as that , do i tell them I'm there to see my kids , or do I just say I'm coming to have a short holiday

Unless I am asked I will say nothing. Continue as normal, write my home address on the landing card. I will report back on how that goes....From Bali if unsuccessful!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

just become LEGAL.. what a crock of shit being posted!

Can you please wave your magic wand over me oh great wizard.

I'd say we are legal , Ive spent less than 40 days in Thailand this year all in dribs and drabs , what Visa should i get for a 4 day visit every 6 weeks ?

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

I am 10 weeks on 10 weeks off, but I stayed longer at beginning of year and did some out/in runs as I didn't know when I was going back to work, waiting for a call. I am there as a tourist and don't work there. I know they will judge wrong when I return. I am engaged to be married, but am out of Thailand, working right now. I don't even know where I should go for a 60 day TVisa.I'll be near New Zealand when I finish work. My work books next ticket. What if I can't get in anc have a return ticket is from Thailand?

If people are going to Cambodia, where is a good place with nice beaches? I may join the many others that want to hang out in asia, hassle free. Do you think my thai wife will move to Cambodia during my off time?

Edited by LazaTron

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

now illegal..

Hahahaha , maybe so , But seriously what Visa could i get to cover tat duration and interval of trips. I'd have to start with a 90 day Non O , which would mean waiting in thailand in 2 months for my 1 year child dependency visa

Check out the thread related to the Thai Elite visa or PE visa. Basically 500K baht for a 5 year multi-entry visa. Ideal for O&G workers under 50 without the usual commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

... but visa runners aren't illegal. Working without a work permit is illegal.

visa runners are NOW illegal.. and in reality always have been.. just the reality of immigration corruption coming home to rest ;)

visa runners are NOW illegal.. and in reality always have been.. just the reality of immigration corruption coming home to rest wink.png

'Outs and Ins' are not now permitted but these visas were obtained legally at a consulate. Sure immigration are now refusing entry on 'OI'.

visa runners are NOW illegal.. and in reality always have been.. just the reality of immigration corruption coming home to rest wink.png

The have been using a loophole in the execution of the law, or abusing the system, however you want to call it.

But illegal: no, if any police officer were to check them on the street he would have no reason to arrest.

• Like 2

Check out the thread related to the Thai Elite visa or PE visa. Basically 500K baht for a 5 year multi-entry visa. Ideal for O&G workers under 50 without the usual commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I may not want to be here for 5 years. If it was a yearly visa, no problem, I would pay.

We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas].

But once again they did not say how long is "too long"... sad.png

Up to the mood of the inmigration officier.

No rules. The Thai way ;-)

Negative. It is fair because it gives the passport holder a chance to speak to immigration and justify his repeated entries. This is better than simply refusing people over set maximum limit of entry stamps. It is a very subjective situation and your interpretation is without merit.

You offer no intelligent observation.

The cretin Thai basher way ;-)

I guess this clears up a few of our questions: http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php

A dose of good news awaits tourists—following the new regulation set by Thai Immigration, visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period.

The restriction has already been abolished so tourists can now visit Thailand as often as they want, provided that they obtain 30 day Visa on Arrival at airports and 15 day Visa on Arrival if they are traveling via land borders.

However, immigration officials still recommend getting visas prior to arrival in Thailand, as they remind visitors that back-to-back short visas are not the proper way to extend the stay in the country on a long-term basis.

This new regulation is predicted to greatly benefit travel agencies as more border trips are expected to be booked with the increased influx of tourists eager to renew their visas.

Edited by tompix321

now illegal..

If you read my previous posts you'd understand my situation. Tube.

Go the marriage visa extension route with multi entry permit purchased for you trips back to work.

Sorry, screwed the quotes up. this was for Lazatron re his wife and his 10/10 work cycle

Edited by Mudcrab