Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

Anyone have any information on people being turned away with tourist visas at Mae Sae, or is this only happening in Malaysia? I have used one tourist entry, one extension, and was planning to stay another six weeks on the second entry of my multiple entry. Was planning to go Saturday for the border run...

The consulate that issued my original multiple entry visa in April and the immigration officer that granted extension were satisfied that I qualified for a tourist visa even though I'm staying in one city the whole time (I told them *exactly* what I'm doing here and they had no problem with it)...so please hold the "you're gaming the system" comments. I'm happy to obey the "rules" but they're hardly clear at the moment, and it's difficult when they change mid-trip!!!

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

That is official from the horse's mouth.

6 months in 2 years? 3months a year? That is nothing.

That is going to effect ALOT of people (me included).

It's official.

I have just rung the farang owner of a bar I regularly use who told me last night he was getting his wife to call immigration at Poipet to ask what they consider 'too long' The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned.

That is the order that came from the bosses in BKK and being circulated around all border points as the official guide rule.

They don't consider anyone to be a tourist of more than 6 months across the past 2 years, and you have to be good to prove you are.

Secondly he also confirmed that second visits on double entry visas are not considered. You will still be turned away at the border regardless.

Well this will include a lot of the regular tourists who come to Thailand to escape the cold winter in parts of the US and Europe, they appear to stay for 4-6 months each winter.

Those who came last year for the full winter will in theory be refused entry if they do a visa run half way through their holiday this winter, perhaps even on their first entry if they stayed for a full six months last year.

I suspect many of them who have a bad experience (refusal of entry) with immigration will never return in the future, I know I wouldn't.

From reading a lot of posts on here, this is going to mop up a lot of the TVF members.

Personally I think 6 months across 2 years is very extreme. Far too extreme in fact. It isn't just catching those who work here, but is going to catch out a lot of people who genuinely are not working here but are longer term than your average 2 week tourist.

Basically they are not going to accept anyone for more than 3 months a year of tourist visas.

Glad I'm married... Wonder if this is going to open up a 'convenience marriage' service? Plenty of money to be made if you were to be an agent.

6 months in 2 years? 3months a year? That is nothing.

That is going to effect ALOT of people (me included).

"6 months in 2 years" is not "3 months a year".

It means many people can stay up to 6 months in Thailand, because they certainly don't do that every year!

BTW what happen above 6 months?

They didn't say to lostsoul49 that they will refuse you, but that you will be questioned...

Congratulations to the junta for trying to take out the trash.
Troll

Why…for an expressing an opinion that u obviously don't agree with?

For expressing a ridiculous opinion. Everyone visiting here frequently (say who wants to spend half the year here) who is under 50 and doesn't qualify for an existing long-term visa category is "trash", now? I'm not wedded particularly to Thailand myself, it's just probably the overall nicest/easiest country in the region and a good base for exploring all the rest of it, and certainly where I want to go for medical treatment, and it looks like that is going to get more problematic going forward.

I honestly would be greatly amused if the junta decided tomorrow to jack the retirement visa up to 65 and quadruple or quintuple the income requirement, given some of the attitudes on here. ...etc

Interestingly, Stickman (love him or loath him) said in his column last Sunday:-

"And now some Thai consulates in the UK are tightening up on non-immigrant O visas for retirement, only issuing them to those over 65, or those aged over 50 who can show they have a Thai bank account with a balance in excess of 800,000 baht........ Chins are now wagging about a possible increase in the eligibility age for retirement visas up to 65, although I don't see that happening."

You may get the last laugh yet.

This is not new. And it's only in the UK. 65 year and you don't show any funds. It have been in many threads before

Anyone have any information on people being turned away with tourist visas at Mae Sae, or is this only happening in Malaysia? I have used one tourist entry, one extension, and was planning to stay another six weeks on the second entry of my multiple entry. Was planning to go Saturday for the border run...

The consulate that issued my original multiple entry visa in April and the immigration officer that granted extension were satisfied that I qualified for a tourist visa even though I'm staying in one city the whole time (I told them *exactly* what I'm doing here and they had no problem with it)...so please hold the "you're gaming the system" comments. I'm happy to obey the "rules" but they're hardly clear at the moment, and it's difficult when they change mid-trip!!!

How many months of tourist visas have you got in your passport from the past 2 years?

It's official.

Well this will include a lot of the regular tourists who come to Thailand to escape the cold winter in parts of the US and Europe, they appear to stay for 4-6 months each winter.

Those who came last year for the full winter will in theory be refused entry if they do a visa run half way through their holiday this winter, perhaps even on their first entry if they stayed for a full six months last year.

I suspect many of them who have a bad experience (refusal of entry) with immigration will never return in the future, I know I wouldn't.

I don't see that they will be refused. Your words "The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned."

Questioned does not equal refused entry.

Questioned equals questioned

They are legitimate tourists and can prove it.

I will be coming in on my second trip this year which will give me a total of about 18 weeks this year with a little less, for each year, for the last 7 and many many more trips over the last 25 years. The chance of my being asked any questions is vanishingly small, I the chance could be asked for an outward ticket ( which I have ) is equally low, I the chance could be asked to show cash ( which I will have ) is also very low. I will not volunteer to show either the ticket or cash but can if asked.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

It's official.

I don't see that they will be refused. Your words "The IO told her more than six months of tourist visas in your passport over the last 2 years and you will be questioned."

I will be coming in on my second trip this year which will give me a total of about 18 weeks this year with a little less, for each year, for the last 7 and many many more trips over the last 25 years. The chance of my being asked any questions is vanishingly small, I could be asked for an outward ticket ( which I have ) is equally low, I could be asked to show cash ( which I will have ) is also very low. I will not volunteer to show either the ticket or cash but can if asked.

I think you will be better showing them a hotel booking.

Agoda can give you a booking with free cancellation... That will provide a nice loophole.

Once you are through immigration, cancel the hotel booking and you're good to go.

I think she said 6 months in 2 years you will be questioned, and 6 months in the past year and you will be refused automatically.

I will call again and ask for clarity. I maybe didn't catch it all first time round.

It's official.

I will be coming in on my second trip this year which will give me a total of about 18 weeks this year with a little less, for each year, for the last 7 and many many more trips over the last 25 years. The chance of my being asked any questions is vanishingly small, I the chance could be asked for an outward ticket ( which I have ) is equally low, I the chance could be asked to show cash ( which I will have ) is also very low. I will not volunteer to show either the ticket or cash but can if asked.

You're right of course but lets not kid ourselves, this questioning will be with a view to refuse you entrance to the country. It's not going to be a survey about how good they're doing their job.

I've never been took aside and 'questioned' on entry to any country - if I was then I would certainly think twice about ever returning there in the future.

In fact for me just needing to bother getting an advance visa is generally enough to put me off from going somewhere. Any attitude on top of the visa requirement = country added to my shitlist.

OK... Just called again.

I need to amend my post, 6 months of tourist stamps and visas over 2 years and you get questioned and need to prove you are a genuine tourist. Not sure what the questions will be. You also get a red stamp in your passport if you are allowed back in.

6 months of stamps and visas over the last 12 months and you will be deemed not a tourist and refused no matter what visa you have or whether you are coming on a second entry from a double entry visa.

Edited by lostsoul49
  • Like 1

Tourism is collapsing.

Flights from South Korea to Phuket less than half full.

US economy tanking - nearly 50% of people under 25 in Europe unemployed.

Maybe not the best time to restrict entry into Thailand.

Philippines, Nepal and Indonesia are awesome places on the whole - they have their problems - but still great places.

I've always wondered about Falangs working here in Thailand. Doing what exactly, teaching English on the side? I can think of few more miserable places to find work. But Thailand is a cool place and people from oppressive Western countries can do with a break.

Somehow I don't see this thing going very far. I was here non stop for ten years, never had an issue - not even once. But I managed to get an income from abroad so I never had an income issue.

I think it would be better for everyone for as much as possible that Thailand has an open door policy and I think in truth it actually does. But probably the Thai's are coming under pressure from Western countries that are not too happy about their slaves escaping their high tax plantations.

• Like 1

OK... Just called again.

I need to amend my post, 6 months of tourist stamps and xisas over 2 years and you get questioned and need to prove you are a genuine tourist. Not sure what the questions will be. You also get a red stamp in your passport if you are allowed back in.

6 months of stamps and visas over the last 12 months and you will be deemed not a tourist and refused no matter what visa you have or whether you are coming on a second entry from a double entry visa.

Thanks for the info, of course we will have to see if this is indeed the policy.

I signed up today for a 6 month Thai language course as a stop gap.

I'm forming a new company, but my current tourist visa will expire before the new company is ready and I can begin the process of getting a non B and a work permit, so I was hoping the Ed visa would cover me for a month or 2 while the company setup is completed.

Did you contact make any mention of how long a person will be turned away for, assuming they are?

• Like 1

So all us offshore workers are screwed rolleyes.gif again common sense must prevail here TIT

Bear in mind he is talking about Poipet. It may be different at Suvarnabhumi.

Those are the guidelines for 12th August onwards, including the airports.

I don't think Poipet are doing this yet.

Might be a good idea to get your visa runs in before August 12th.

So all us offshore workers are screwed rolleyes.gif again common sense must prevail here TIT

The offshore / out of country workers who work rotations should be welcomed with open arms by the Thai's.

A lot of these guys earn money in the $10-$20,000+ per month range depending on what they do and where they're working.

I would say there's almost zero chance they're going to work illegally while on their off time.

Perhaps showing the offshore work permit will be enough to convince them you work elsewhere.

• Like 1

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

Setup a business.

I'm sorry, that is a completely bloody ridiculous suggestion for someone who is working 6 weeks on somewhere and wants to take their 6 weeks off in Thailand.

You are suggesting that they invest however many million baht in the country, employ four Thai nationals, and instead of chilling on the beach somewhere during their 6 weeks holiday time, actually work? And what about the six weeks they aren't in the country? What do they do then?

The point is there are legitimate tourists who AREN'T working here but for one reason or the other would like to spend a bit longer in the place.

Never said you have to setup a business in Thailand.

They are not tourists, they are living in Thailand 6 months of every year, have rented / bought houses, cars, motorcycles in Thailand.

Bear in mind he is talking about Poipet. It may be different at Suvarnabhumi.

Those are the guidelines for 12th August onwards, including the airports.

I don't think Poipet are doing this yet.

Might be a good idea to get your visa runs in before August 12th.

That is sage advice, to get your visa runs in now.

Me, I am quite happily away from all this in the UK for a few weeks. Let us see what transpires.

Good luck to all.

Oil rig worker here on a 28/28 rotation. I have a passport full of entry stamps. even have 2 x Non Immi O visas in my passport since personal circumstance allowed me to apply even though I was coming in every 28 days.

2 weeks ago I came into Swampy airport and the immigration guy asked me alot more questions than usual. "how long you stay" etc. the indian guy next to me was getting equally grilled.

they only gave him 1 week entry then he complained that he had 60 day tourist visa so it sounded like they changed it back.

Lucky for me now I got immunity in the form of work permit and non immi visa otherwise id be worried about not getting in!

OK... Just called again.

I need to amend my post, 6 months of tourist stamps and xisas over 2 years and you get questioned and need to prove you are a genuine tourist. Not sure what the questions will be. You also get a red stamp in your passport if you are allowed back in.

Thanks for the info, of course we will have to see if this is indeed the policy.

I signed up today for a 6 month Thai language course as a stop gap.

I'm forming a new company, but my current tourist visa will expire before the new company is ready and I can begin the process of getting a non B and a work permit, so I was hoping the Ed visa would cover me for a month or 2 while the company setup is completed.

Did you contact make any mention of how long a person will be turned away for, assuming they are?

Sorry, she didn't say anything about it, so I assume she never asked.

I think I will get my own wife to ring up tomorrow and ask that question.

BTW I think you will be fine with your non imm B visa and the Ed visa.

They are just coming down on tourist visas.

I have a feeling in the coming months the Thai ed visa service that provides a Thai language course are going to exploit this situation and probably;y going to raise their fees considerably.

A good workaround for those getting questioned...

I just looked on agoda.com and there are some cheap hotels with cancellation policy of 1 day prior to check in... some are as cheap as 250 baht a night.

Book 2 weeks in advance from the date you are entering Thailand, then cancel and lose only 1 night's fees (250 baht) you can also book another week hotel in Chiang Mai and another week in say Korat to make it look like you already have a month booked, you can cancel CM and Korat and won't lose anything.

It will be hard not to look like a tourist with that printout from agoda. For a cost of 250 baht.... gets you across the border.

until immigration defines these rules more clearly so that people understand exactly were they stand nobady can understand with certainty

My own feeling on the matter is that if you spend less than say 6 months in Thailand in any one year and can show an exit flight booking then you are not going to have any problems with tourist visas, I could be wrong and it may be as above but only 1x tourist visa allowed

It is a complex issue and one that even immigration might have difficulty defining exactly

Here is what I think they would consider no matter what

Your previous lengths of stay in Thailand in any 12 months period - so if you visit Thailand over the winter every year for 5-6 months and leave for 6 months then you are never going to have a problem

If you work offshore and your pattern is 1 month 2 month duration (either way) then you most likely will never have a problem

If you stay here 10 months or more out of 12 months doing constant visa runs on tourist visas year on year then you are likely going to be scrutinised and have a problem

anything in the grey area between the above is in the lap of the gods

immigration should publish a formula and say something like that if you stay here on tourist visa for 2 months then you must leave for at least 1 month or 6 months and 6 months in any 12 or VOA must leave after 1 month for at least 1 month or get an extension for up to 1 months = 2 months total stay issued at local immigration upon interview, I think they need to come up with a formula but it is by no means easy

the standard tourist visa can be increased to 90 days from of 60 for a fee at local immigration, so all the above is not far away - it just needs clarification and a bit of thought

OK... Just called again.

I need to amend my post, 6 months of tourist stamps and visas over 2 years and you get questioned and need to prove you are a genuine tourist. Not sure what the questions will be. You also get a red stamp in your passport if you are allowed back in.

Sorry BUT ::::

Member since 28 June 2014?

Has his Thai (I assume wife) call Immigration somewhere and gets "information" like this and is able to pass it on in the Forum as "Fact"?

I thought there was some mechanism in place to get rid of such mis-information, at least until it is confirmed by a reliable source.

Patrick

Don't shoot the messenger. This doesn't even affect me, I am on a non imm O visa, I am just trying to be helpful.

What has my joining date got to do with anything? Makes me a bad member does it?

Maybe I should ask a mod if I am allowed to be included in conversations or not.

Maybe you need to be registered with the forum for a year at least to have any value.

Can I suggest you call yourself if you have no faith in other people's information. Then you can call me out as a liar if you get a totally different set of guidelines..... until then.

Edited by lostsoul49
  • Like 2

For those who ask how long we must stay outside Thailand to get a new tourist visa ..the Thailand Embassy in France has an answer .... 3 months !!! (i already posted it some weeks ago) !

The thai embassy in France doesn't want to deliver tourist visa if you were in Thailand the last 3 months.

It was already like this ..in June (or maybe before i don't know)

http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa/informations-generales/reglement-du-service-des-visas/

(check number 1)

Edited by carabaothai
  • Like 1

For those who ask how long we must stay outside Thailand to get a new tourist visa ..the Thailand Embassy in France has an answer .... 3 months !!! (i already posted it some weeks ago) !

The thai embassy in France doesn't want to deliver tourist visa if you were in Thailand the last 3 months.

http://www.thaiembassy.fr/fr/visa/informations-generales/reglement-du-service-des-visas/

(check number 1)

You are new.. have a few post.. not member for at last +1 year

I thought there was some mechanism in place to get rid of such mis-information, at least until it is confirmed by a reliable source.

Patrick

This quote says it all :)

• Like 1

(check number 1)

Yet you can go to a different country and get one no problem.

This is yet another inconsistency of Thai immigration that creates nothing but confusion.

Do they deliberately do it or what?

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

Continue as before, but have a printout of your ticket out of Thailand ready to show, perhaps also a letter from your employer confirming your work rotation schedule.

Continue as before, but have a printout of your ticket out of Thailand ready to show, perhaps also a letter from your employer confirming your work rotation schedule.

I have same problem, same question, because i work and go back to Thailand after 7 working weeks. And stay 2 weeks and all July and August.

1 - Now you cannot stay more than 90 days half a year (180 days a year) ..so 6 weeks every 6 weeks you are just at the limit ...??

2 - these holidays, i get in my bag, my return airplane ticket to France, a letter from my employer that confirm he is waiting for me on August 29th and i have also my last 3 pay slips to prove that i work outside. Hope it will be ok at the immigration office when i will come back from Malaisia to Thailand in August after 10 days holidays in Malaysia. I entered Thailand with the 30 days visa arrival on July 5th.

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Alternate with another country,

Thailand, Philippine, Nepal all have a great climate.

What's so special about Thailand?

I really don't understand the desperation foreigners have to stay in Thailand, it ain't that great a place.

There are dozens of countries that offer the same or more, for a similar price.

I agree.. ????? coffee1.gif