Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if working illegally and taxes were the issue, why not make it easier to legally work and pay taxes?

People come from different countries to work here. I went to immigration a few weeks ago and they had

people from Myranmar working there. I'm a Caucasian, I could never get that job if I wanted to.

Question:

I have a multiple entry marriage visa, but Because I don't stay in country for an extended period, I usually just get a multiple entry every year. I have a home in Thailand. Am I better to extend and apply for re-entries?

I wasn't a fan of military rule at first but I have to say I'm warming up to the Junta. They really are making an effort to clean up Thailand.

One or two Thaivisa members warned that the PDRC were anti farang. Now wait for the Junta to insist that those living here on retirement visas, marriage visas etc need to have a University degree, then we will see how many are applauding them.

when will this be happening?

how would one go about living in your country for 7 years without an immigrant visa??

I didn't say you would or could. I merely said that after 7 years living there you get permanent citizenship.

What I said was being there as a long term tourist, assuming you could afford to be one, is allowed and as long as your "work" is not for a local company ie you are not taking a job from a local, they don't care if you sit at home and work for your business overseas.

If you wanted to remain there really long term then you would simply set up a company and become legal. No need to hire any locals though, just be a sole proprietor and work for yourself.

Then 7 years later get citizenship.

Did I mention the fastest internet in the world, English as one of the official languages, a super modern but also very green city.....

so you say anyone can come in on a tourist visa and set up a company and stay? or does he need an investor visa that costs anywhere between 1 and 3 million dollars investment?

This is quite a good article, its a year or so old and the guy makes it sound harder than it is, but then I think that is because he had a family (wife and kids) and he wanted his business to have offices, staff etc etc....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2013/07/12/how-i-opened-a-branch-office-of-my-business-in-hong-kong/

If you are a single person doing one man freelance internet type work it would be far easier.

The tricky part might be coming up with the approx 150,000 baht a month you would need to have even a basic subsistence lifestyle there and the amount of time it might take to get yourself an apartment, internet, utilities etc before you could start living.

Edited - Forgot to mention the following extra cost - If you are a self-employed person (SEP) aged 18 to below 65, you must enrol yourself in an MPF scheme. You are required to make mandatory contributions if you earn not less than the minimum income level, i.e. currently $5,000 a month or $60,000 a year.

Lol! submit business plan and provide start-up capital! ad how much is that gonna be?

Have I understood this correctly?? Thai embassy abroad are issuing tourist-VISAS like there is no tomorrow and debit money for it as well. And than people are being denied entry to Thailand. I mean, can not the thai embassy see the exact same thing as the immigration-personal at the border to Thailand in respective passport they are stamping??????

Can somebody enlighten me plse...

Glegolo

Yes, a proper approach IMO would be that these issues were sorted out already at the embassy, but apparently they do not do that - thereby giving people a false expectation that all is in order only to find out otherwise at the entrance point. I think the airlines will also be very frustrated because they may have passengers who are refused entry even if they have valid documents.

E.g. if you are given a Schengen visa from an EU embassy, I haven't yet heard any story that you are afterwards barred from entering Schengen territory just because you happen to have a lot of used Schengen visas in your passport. But I guess such case handling is far too straightforward and will also mean that the Thai embassies lose potential income.

I am sure there will be honest and innocent people who will get some very nasty surprises after Mother's Day.

• Like 1

5555, Except for the UK Passport Holders. What's the current waiting time for a new passport for them 8++ weeks ?

Earlier this year I received my new UK passport exactly three weeks after sending the application from Thailand.

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

Yes, buy a Thailand Elite Visa.

I received an emergency treatment in November last year and had to have a tooth extracted. However, the dentist made a dental treatment plan for me which would require a minor surgery etc. and would take around 3 months to complete and cost between 50,000 and 80,000 THB in total. I have now 3 tourist visas in my passport and 2 VOA. The last exit stamp from Thailand is 8th June 2014 (around 6 weeks ago). I need to go back to Thailand and continue this dental treatment as the dentist knows my case and have already taken X-rays etc. But if I get a new 2-months tourist visa, will I still be able to claim I need to continue my dental treatment and have it completed if questioned (which I probably will) by the Immigration? Will the Immigration approve, and believe me (I haven't kept any receipts from the dental treatment, but I could give them a phone number to my dentist in Phuket) and let me in to Thailand on a tourist visa even though it's for dental treatment I'm there for.

It is possible to get an extension on medical grounds from immigration. You really must have the receipts. However, my own experience when I had to do this was that the medical officer at immigration said that such extensions are normally only given if the person has to stay in the country, not just waiting for the next appointment. However, being the first time I tried this, I got just 30 days extension - it can be longer if you require daily treatment.

I'll find out how this is going to pan out for me next week when I fly back in after being back in Malaysia for a month. Looks like I wont face being turned away at the airport until 12th , so apart from a few questions I should get in. Out on 2 August and then back in on 16th September , so that could be the one when things start getting interesting , I'm relying on my Malaysia residency card , work contracts from Malaysia , return ticket itinerary and a Immigration officer with "discretion" to get let back in. Would it be worth mentioning I have legal custody of my children (Will be getting the proper Visa when i finish work in Malaysia)or will that leave the door open for them to tell me I'm not a Tourist if I'm in Thailand visiting my kids ??

I suppose it adds a bit of excitement to what was becoming a bit of a mundane trip

• Like 1

This may have an effect on the total number of tourist arrivals for TAT (although they can simply the fudge the numbers as they wish), but I think the opinion put forth continuously the last few days that confusion will reign for the rest of the world and everyone will stop coming to Thailand for 2-3 weeks holiday is off base.

This clampdown is pretty clear: don't abuse the system. If my aunt and uncle were to visit for a week each in BKK, Phuket, & Chiang Mai - as they did in 2013 - I'm sure they'd understand that the new world order with respect to visa runs has no bearing on them whatsoever, even if they were adding a jaunt to KL as part of the trip.

Henry and Florence visiting SE Asia for 3 weeks from Toronto vs. Johnny the 400-stamp passport holder = apples and oranges.

This distinction will be pretty clear even to Thai border agents on a good day or bad day.

I'll find out how this is going to pan out for me next week when I fly back in after being back in Malaysia for a month. Looks like I wont face being turned away at the airport until 12th , so apart from a few questions I should get in. Out on 2 August and then back in on 16th September , so that could be the one when things start getting interesting , I'm relying on my Malaysia residency card , work contracts from Malaysia , return ticket itinerary and a Immigration officer with "discretion" to get let back in. Would it be worth mentioning I have legal custody of my children (Will be getting the proper Visa when i finish work in Malaysia)or will that leave the door open for them to tell me I'm not a Tourist if I'm in Thailand visiting my kids ?? I suppose it adds a bit of excitement to what was becoming a bit of a mundane trip

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today. It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air. Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

OK a lot of predictable fear and knee jerk response here, many folk feeling uncomfortable with the new enforcement. I'm on my fourth tourist visa, two in current passport gaps between entry into Thailand from 1 week to 6 weeks.

Clearly I have to change to a more appropriate visa, but which one? I am over 50 but don't have the funds I am not retired and I'm looking for work in Australia things are down in the mining industry at present so it may be a while before I rejoin the workforce.

Will getting married and adopting my girlfriends child be an option, to gain a legit visa?

To those who have overdone the visa exempt or tourist visa run, what are your plans?

seriously...this country will have a huge drop of income if they will deny out-in hoppers. I understand that they want to protect against illegal workers. But where are the numbers? I read every few months about some arrested expats for illegal working but where are the big numbers. It is always mentioned that illegal workers are tour guides...seriously..how many tour guides are in this country?!?!...if they will start denying more then hunderd thousand out-in hoppers. This country will loose billions...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'll find out how this is going to pan out for me next week when I fly back in after being back in Malaysia for a month. Looks like I wont face being turned away at the airport until 12th , so apart from a few questions I should get in. Out on 2 August and then back in on 16th September , so that could be the one when things start getting interesting , I'm relying on my Malaysia residency card , work contracts from Malaysia , return ticket itinerary and a Immigration officer with "discretion" to get let back in. Would it be worth mentioning I have legal custody of my children (Will be getting the proper Visa when i finish work in Malaysia)or will that leave the door open for them to tell me I'm not a Tourist if I'm in Thailand visiting my kids ?? I suppose it adds a bit of excitement to what was becoming a bit of a mundane trip

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today. It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air. Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

Thanks , I suppose the grey area lies in defining "Back to back " what constitutes a reasonable period outside of Thailand before returning. I may be optimistic but I'm betting I'll be ok to continue to come in ,normally for a few days every 6 weeks or so , depending who Im facing at the Immigration counter. I should be getting 90 day O followed by a 1 year later in the year , but the period in between could be interesting

I would wager that embassy and consulates are processing higher a than average number of lost passport requests in light of the visa crackdown... A clean passport gives you a clean start at the borders...

Really? Surely there is an electronic record of your visas when they scan your passport? I am sure that all of your travel is recorded somewhere when your passport is scanned.

I could be wrong but in this day and age I find it difficult to believe it is that simple.

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

That has to be the most retarded post i have seen all year.

My thai gf is currently in my country on a tourist visa. She's been here for 2 years on it. How is it not a proper visa? she's not working or retired.

Also other countries allow for permanant residency. Thailand DOES NOT unless you want to become fullon thai. Im in my 20's and i dont work in thailand. I have kids and im not married. I don't keep money in a thai bank account. I can't get any kind of non-o. That makes me a tourist and nothing else.

seriously...this country will have a huge drop of income if they will deny out-in hoppers. I understand that they want to protect against illegal workers. But where are the numbers? I read every few months about some arrested expats for illegal working but where are the big numbers. It is always mentioned that illegal workers are tour guides...seriously..how many tour guides are in this country?!?!...if they will start denying more then hunderd thousand out-in hoppers. This country will loose billions...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, will all that are affected simply go home or somewhere else. Is there no other visa option for these in out hoppers?

OK a lot of predictable fear and knee jerk response here, many folk feeling uncomfortable with the new enforcement. I'm on my fourth tourist visa, two in current passport gaps between entry into Thailand from 1 week to 6 weeks.

Clearly I have to change to a more appropriate visa, but which one? I am over 50 but don't have the funds I am not retired and I'm looking for work in Australia things are down in the mining industry at present so it may be a while before I rejoin the workforce.

Will getting married and adopting my girlfriends child be an option, to gain a legit visa?

To those who have overdone the visa exempt or tourist visa run, what are your plans?

non -o multi entry

OP "PHUKET: -- Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent of the Phuket Immigration Office, this afternoon confirmed to The Phuket News that the multiple “Out-In” visa hop is now officially dead.

“Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules.

“If they are genuine tourists that's fine. But if we believe they are not tourists, they will not be readmitted into Thailand.

“We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas]. We will not let them in.”"

Why does Thailand immigration 'leak' information about something as serious as being able to use or not use a particular type of visa to enter Thailand through a local area superintendent in Phuket instead of having "The Big Boss" of said immigration come out with a clear and concise statement, perhaps through George at Thai Visa forum, which could clear up this whole matter once and for all.

Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij states" Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules", yet this would seem to contradict the original document stating that 'visa exempt' entries would no longer be accepted at airports from 12th August and made no mention of TR tourist visa's.

It is time for the immigration department to issue a definitive and unambiguous statement that states exactly what will and will not be accepted at the border and for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to stop supplying visas to people if they know will be refused entry at the border into Thailand. Let's have no more "Thai Visa has it on good authority that.....", or The Nation understands that...... or The Phuket Gazette can exclusively reveal....., get the top man of the immigration to make the statement and put an end to all this conjecture and confusion.

• Like 1

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today.

It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air.

Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

Hi Mataleo. You already posted this same message yesterday on page 3 of this same topic,

and I told you you were wrong, but you post that again! Why?...

The Ajarn article starts with "From mid-August, *if* new immigration rule changes come about..."

and then is then very different that what you say they said...

• Like 1

OP "PHUKET: -- Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, Superintendent of the Phuket Immigration Office, this afternoon confirmed to The Phuket News that the multiple “Out-In” visa hop is now officially dead.

“If they are genuine tourists that's fine. But if we believe they are not tourists, they will not be readmitted into Thailand.

“We can see [from their passport stamps] if a foreigner has stayed in Thailand too long [on tourist visas]. We will not let them in.”"

Why does Thailand immigration 'leak' information about something as serious as being able to use or not use a particular type of visa to enter Thailand through a local area superintendent in Phuket instead of having "The Big Boss" of said immigration come out with a clear and concise statement, perhaps through George at Thai Visa forum, which could clear up this whole matter once and for all.

Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij states" Every immigration post on land borders and at airports now has the same rules", yet this would seem to contradict the original document stating that 'visa exempt' entries would no longer be accepted at airports from 12th August and made no mention of TR tourist visa's.

It is time for the immigration department to issue a definitive and unambiguous statement that states exactly what will and will not be accepted at the border and for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to stop supplying visas to people if they know will be refused entry at the border into Thailand. Let's have no more "Thai Visa has it on good authority that.....", or The Nation understands that...... or The Phuket Gazette can exclusively reveal....., get the top man of the immigration to make the statement and put an end to all this conjecture and confusion.

why was tourist visas in brackets?

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today.

It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air.

Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

Hi Mataleo. You already posted this same message yesterday on page 3 of this same topic,

and I told you you were wrong, but you post that again! Why?...

The Ajarn article starts with "From mid-August, *if* new immigration rule changes come about..."

and then is then very different that what you say they said...

From his posts, it may be that English is not his first language; therefore, his English reading comprehension skills may not match that of a native speaker/reader. I understand the order does indeed say the deadline is the August date.

why was tourist visas in brackets?

The original document is below, see that it refers only to "people who use visa exemption", there is no mention, at all, of TR tourist visas.

post-128-0-94644600-1404139832.jpg

I would wager that embassy and consulates are processing higher a than average number of lost passport requests in light of the visa crackdown... A clean passport gives you a clean start at the borders...

But don't they have a history for each people in the inmigration computers ?

Sure they check their data base. That is how they check for fradulent visa stamps, etc. In fact, I have seen passports handed to two or three officers, at time, to verify against the computer.