USB drive will not accept file transfer

Valentine

The USB drive is 16GB but when I try to transfer a file which is only 4.8GB a message pops up stating file too large for destination system. I re formatted the drive but still no go & have tried it with another USB drive & same thing. It is a movie file & has happened with other large movie files. there is no problem transferring several smaller files which amount to a much larger size. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by Valentine

That is likely because it is formatted for "fat32" rather than the newer file format "NTFS". You can reformat as long as you do not require the old type for playback device.

http://www.winability.com/why-cant-i-copy-large-files-over-4gb-to-my-usb-flash-drive/

Thanks for the info as am now able to copy the larger files. I just hope there is no problem on my TV.

Does anybody know a work-around for this on a Mac? OSX doesn't format NTFS. And Samsung TV wants NTFS.

Get a free program called Split and Concat for Macs.

Follow simple instructions and it will split your file into sections-you can specify the size. You would just need two, as the size limit for FAT32 copying is 4GB.

You can specify the USB drive as the destination for the segments - they will now be small enough to be copied onto the drive. You then use the same program to reassemble them into one file on the USB drive.

It sounds a bit of a hassle but it's quite quick. You need enough space on the USB drive for both the parts and the complete joined file as it doesn't delete the segments after joining them into one- you must do that manually once it finishes.

Edited by partington

I doubt it, NTFS has been around longer than USB flash drives, so if your TV supports the latter it really ought to support the former.

thumbsup.gif

Works fine on the TV but when I copy files over from HDD to USB everything freezes up for a while before responding. For example if click to a new forum or try to send email.

That sounds like a limited capacity computer - files have to be read and then send to drive so computer is very busy during this process. Best to make copies when you are eating or doing something else. You do not have to be there when this is taking place.

That sounds like a limited capacity computer - files have to be read and then send to drive so computer is very busy during this process. Best to make copies when you are eating or doing something else. You do not have to be there when this is taking place.

Not sure what you mean. I have a 120GB SSD with the OS & programme files & a 1TB HDD for storing data which is where I transfer the files from to the USB.

But the files have to be read from that HDD its speed via I suspect a USB port and then written to the thumb drive at the same speed so it will take processor power doing this operation. Unless you have USB3 and equipment to handle for both expect it takes a considerable amount of time?

But the files have to be read from that HDD its speed via I suspect a USB port and then written to the thumb drive at the same speed so it will take processor power doing this operation. Unless you have USB3 and equipment to handle for both expect it takes a considerable amount of time?

Not if you do it a bit at a time.

tongue.png

Its an internal HDD. Maybe using USB 3.0 would help but not sure which port(s) are compatible.

Does anybody know a work-around for this on a Mac? OSX doesn't format NTFS. And Samsung TV wants NTFS.

1. Was your Mac set up with BootCamp? If yes, boot up the virtual Windows machine and do your NFTS to USB there.

2. Is your Mac a laptop? If yes, buy a HDMI cable and use your Mac to drive the Samsung. Buy a cheap Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (Logitec 650 baht) and your Samsung becomes your biggest monitor ever!

3. MacFuse (FREE) allows OSX Macs to read and write to NTFS drives.

• Like 1