CB 300f

Nebula

LburtonL , i can understand your concern. Its a brand new bike (ok , based on the older 250) and shouldnt be making noises. However , Honda are looking into the problem - its all they can do at tis stage - and the fact that the bike is so new means you should , by law , get another new bike. A pain in the butt , as you have to run it in again , but id prefer this than a "new" gearbox and the engine being opened up/removed for the work. Honda jumped on this quick as there have been problems with this engine , although so far only in the 250cc size , not the 286cc size. Some people (who seem to work for "Honda") refuse to believe ANY Honda can have ANY problem , and will try to convince themselves to forget all about your problem as soon as posible. Hope it works out for you and keep us informed.

just man, where are the links about these problems? I am not claiming Honda does not have any problems but you claim something so prove it.

it is just empty, nonsense talk without any evidence as here some Honda owners actually owning Hondas reporting no problems

maybe you work for KTM? Hope you did not buy the super quality Indian made 339,000 thb Duke 390biggrin.png or 230,000 thb Duke 200. Are they better than Hondas?

Also, never had any problem with my Hondas in Thailand.

and sorry for LBurton, it is an unlucky situation.

but again jeff, you were claiming cam chain and valves etc but it happened to be gear box?

Edited by ll2

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a search for the username KRS1 and his cbr 250 valve shim problem.

so 1 in 100 thousand?

what about my cbr250r i used for more than 20 k km and no problems?

Edited by ll2

I will be pushing hard to get a new bike, even the owner at my Honda told me to do so. The mecanic guy who flew here from BKK couldn't figure it out was wrong with it, that's why they want my bike in BKK for investigation. I have no problem with that but ship me a new bike bcz I will sure not wait 2weeks+

so 1 in 100 thousand?

Im sure there are more that haven't been reported ON THE INTERNET, and even more from people who do not have mechanical knowledge and just pay for the repairs.

If you check out cbr250.net, there's lots of mechanical failures going on over there, most people aren't mechanics so just take their bikes in when there is a 'sound' and never know what the reason was for it.

The CBR500 series had a recall for the rocker arms which is well documented, and I believe you've been talking about fast rear brake pad wear on your bike which is also not normal.

Im not downing Honda, but some people put Honda on a pedestal and worship its quality when that simply is not the case 100% of the time. Sure they are good bikes. But they are not perfect and break down the same as any other manufacturer.

20k km is nothing, it's just been broken in.

so 1 in 100 thousand?

Im sure there are more that haven't been reported ON THE INTERNET, and even more from people who do not have mechanical knowledge and just pay for the repairs.

If you check out cbr250.net, there's lots of mechanical failures going on over there, most people aren't mechanics so just take their bikes in when there is a 'sound' and never know what the reason was for it.

The CBR500 series had a recall for the rocker arms which is well documented, and I believe you've been talking about fast rear brake pad wear on your bike which is also not normal.

Im not downing Honda, but some people put Honda on a pedestal and worship its quality when that simply is not the case 100% of the time. Sure they are good bikes. But they are not perfect and break down the same as any other manufacturer.

we have a user here reported the engine of his kawa versys blew up!

so, now we generalize this to all verysy and kawas in this world? no, i dont.

and at every forum every bike has some problems. nothing is perfect in this world.

i was complaining about front pads the most for cbr500r but it is only me as i go track days and ride my bike hard.

what i am saying here is you cannot come here and say ' hey 250 cc hondas are shit and have problems everywhere' without putting some examples happening to majority of these bikes.

if you do, it is just empty misleading talk.

especially after ktmjeff said it is cam chain or valve problem than it happened to be gearbox problem.

so, of course credibility is lost suddenly. for you not?

Edited by ll2

so 1 in 100 thousand?

we have a user here reported the engine of his kawa versys blew up!

so, now we generalize this to all verysy and kawas in this world? no, i dont.

and at every forum every bike has some problems. nothing is perfect in this world.

i was complaining about front pads the most for cbr500r but it is only me as i go track days and ride my bike hard.

what i am saying here is you cannot come here and say ' hey 250 cc hondas are shit and have problems everywhere' without putting some examples happening to majority of these bikes.

if you do, it is just empty misleading talk.

especially after ktmjeff said it is cam chain or valve problem than it happened to be gearbox problem.

so, of course credibility is lost suddenly. for you not?

Never said all cbr 250's are crap, nor did I say they have problems everywhere.

Learn how to read.

Reference the 6 cylinder Benellis , the "6" was available as both a 750 (with 6 silencers) and a 900 (with only 2 silencers). Very complicated machines but well ahead of their time. Honda tried to copy them many years later with the CBX , which didnt realy work. During their many sucessfull racing years , Benelli made some very advances bikes that cost them a fortune but were a bit too advanced for the road at the time. The 4 cylinder 250 (called the 254) is a good example. Benelli celebrated its centenary in 2011 and i was invited to their factory and museam in Italy where they have advanced race and road engines from the 50s with gear driven camshafts and 4 valve heads. I wonder who copied that idea?.

Benelli basically copied the Honda CB500 motor for the 750 by creating what was essentially one and a half CB500's. Even the bore and stroke was exactly the same as the Honda first produced years earlier.

Yes , and the starter motors are almost interchangeable from what i remember. Then Honda - when it was Honda - tried to copy the style of the whole bike!. Same as the gear cam idea. Although best not mention the Honda camshaft problems of the 80s / 90s. Then kawasaki kicked sand it their faces with the Z 1300.Nothing in engineering is new , just a different take/style of a previous idea.Benelli were supercharging bikes in the early years. Will we see a return of chargers , i think yes on some bikes in 5 years.

The mistake Honda made with the CBX was the exhaust. Should have been a 6 into 6 just like the Benelli because from the side it looked just like any other Honda four.

Hope you are right about supercharging but personally have my doubts. Too costly on motorcycles I'd wager unless for the exotica.

Ridercnx808. Hi. I think you may be wasting your breath with someone , mate. Selective memory.There has been many reports of problems (on "TV" Thailand and elsewhere) with the 250 varient of this engine (and yes an unknown number elsewhere), with some engines blowing up completly , and if the head problems were 1 in every 100,000 that would mean Honda must have sold millions. They havent. LburtonLs problem "noise" may be inside the gearbox , and the only problem i have previously mentioned with the gearbox , also on this site , is the selector shaft snapping off inside the gearbox (and i have better things to do with my time than sort through 18 months of "TV" posts to find it !). This "noise" is a different problem , and may be a 1 off. If the bike gets taken away we may never know the exact problem , as happens so many times.This may have happened with many of the "head" problems , although i believe one problem , the valve shim "chatter " , may be related to Harmonic frequency distortion . It gets complicated , believe me !. LburtonL , yes push for a new bike but try to find out what your problem turns out to be. If they tell you. Good luck.

apetley , Hi. There were also problems with fueling also as the inlet manifold lengths were not equal due to packaging reistrictions. Agree with you on the exhaust. Althouge Benelli droped it from the 900 - too heavy?. I dont know. Sure looked nice though. Supercharging will come , but not always to make 200+ BHP as Kawasaki has been working on , but to give 600cc engines more tourque and fuel economy and so making them more suitable to adventure bikes. Trying to get it to all fit under the bodywork is the problem at the moment. Bikes are small.

Edited by ktm jeff

Come on ll2 get over it mate, Honda is not what it used to be. You have never had any problems but that's just you. It could also be the fact you change your bikes pretty often so you never have it long enough before the problems start. Of course all bikes can have different problems at some time or other but you just can't seem to accept that Honda has more than their fair share. It seems like every couple of weeks someone is on here asking about a problem on their Honda. I can recall at least 4 issues in the last couple of weeks. This one, a Click with a dead engine, plenty of judder issues, a CBR that stalls every time its put in first gear, clunky gearbox.

I can tell you right now about my Honda CBR. Around the 1500km mark my engine blew...engine rebuild. About 1000kms later....Clutch went. Another 1000kms the dash lights went out...New instrument cluster. I could go on about after 2 years it just looked tatty and faded with rust here and there, even though it was never parked in the rain and regularly maintained. I didn't report any of that here on Thaivisa, so I wonder how many others there are out there just like me. I now have the new Ninja, 10kms on it and no major problems at all. Give it a wash and wax and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Once in a blue moon we hear about a problem with a Yamaha. The Kawasaki 250/300, ER6N, Ninja650, Versys, Z800/Z1000 have been very very quiet for quite sometime, I wonder why that is?

I'm not saying Honda are bad but you need to get over your love fest, you're staring to make yourself look silly, which is sad as clearly you have some very useful and sometimes knowledgeable information for other users on here.

As far as the issue with the gearbox on this new 300 all I'll say is, Honda are good at honouring their warranties and I'm sure they'll sort it out. Getting a new bike may just mean that you'll have to sort out this gearbox issue again sometime down the line.

macknife , sorry to hear about your engine blowing up at just 1,500KM. Not good. Do you know why. So many people have had problems , but not posted about them , or the cause , or the fix - apart from buying a Kawasaki - LOL. Hopefully this is a small new type of problem.May be a small internal quality control problem / poor fitment. . With Honda using parts from various countries including China , and their bikes put together in numerous countries including Thailand , India and Brazil it may take some sorting if it turns out to be a universal problem. As i mentioned several times above , its good to see Honda jump on this one quickly.Im not honda bashing but they do have problems.Many problems. And their resale values are starting to reflect that. As i also said , all they can do at this stage is look into this new problem.Although the quality at Honda is near its lowest (IMO) ,they do seem to be trying to get to grips with some of their issues of quality their range of bikes seem to have. They are capable of so much more , and this is a shame.

Come on ll2 get over it mate, Honda is not what it used to be. You have never had any problems but that's just you. It could also be the fact you change your bikes pretty often so you never have it long enough before the problems start. Of course all bikes can have different problems at some time or other but you just can't seem to accept that Honda has more than their fair share. It seems like every couple of weeks someone is on here asking about a problem on their Honda. I can recall at least 4 issues in the last couple of weeks. This one, a Click with a dead engine, plenty of judder issues, a CBR that stalls every time its put in first gear, clunky gearbox.

I can tell you right now about my Honda CBR. Around the 1500km mark my engine blew...engine rebuild. About 1000kms later....Clutch went. Another 1000kms the dash lights went out...New instrument cluster. I could go on about after 2 years it just looked tatty and faded with rust here and there, even though it was never parked in the rain and regularly maintained. I didn't report any of that here on Thaivisa, so I wonder how many others there are out there just like me. I now have the new Ninja, 10kms on it and no major problems at all. Give it a wash and wax and it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Once in a blue moon we hear about a problem with a Yamaha. The Kawasaki 250/300, ER6N, Ninja650, Versys, Z800/Z1000 have been very very quiet for quite sometime, I wonder why that is?

I'm not saying Honda are bad but you need to get over your love fest, you're staring to make yourself look silly, which is sad as clearly you have some very useful and sometimes knowledgeable information for other users on here.

As far as the issue with the gearbox on this new 300 all I'll say is, Honda are good at honouring their warranties and I'm sure they'll sort it out. Getting a new bike may just mean that you'll have to sort out this gearbox issue again sometime down the line.

I assume you're talking about my mention of the clunky gearbox on my CB500X. I'll admit it's much more agricultural than my old Ninja was...but it also has never popped out of gear as that did. So I guess it's a tradeoff.

macknife.

i am not saying honda does not have problems nor it is my father's company. I rode many hondas over the years. from commuters to sport bikes. many but never had problems, never left alone. Some i used 20 k km some 40 k km. This cannot be a coincidence right? another kawasaki rider can say the same to me and it goes on.

what i am saying and dont like is if someone is saying here honda has lots of problems from shims, cam chain blah blah blah then i would like to see some reports and links. Where are they? just a guy or two? Comments like 'oh there might be more but they dont report' also sounds empty talk to me or assumptions and when i state this, it become Honda love fest?

As you see some posters here never got any problems too.

Moreover, for every 3 bike others sell, honda sells 7 so of course Honda will report more problems.

Here i also see blown up versys engine, and broken kawasaki chassis, or ninja 300 - http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/11-ninja-300-issues-troubleshooting/ - http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/24/kawasaki-faces-n-h-t-s-a-inquiry-over-possible-stalling-issue/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1 - never have brake caliper!, ECU, stalling, ABS! recall etc. problems or national official inquiries about a possible stalling issue for 10,000 bikes? - hope kawa informed you about these. and as you can sell kawasaki 300 side is not that quiet too!

so now do you want me to believe kawasaki has quality problems? No, Kawasaki produces good products too and they stand by their products as well. it is mostly just a problem one or two in ten thousand or makers can find a problem and can fix it with recalls. There is no perfect bike.

Nothing is same as before on Earth macknife. All my favorite brands from bikes to tvs to computers all let their quality went down to cut costs after the emergence of cheap Chinese parts and production and it is same for all.

Just if we are talking about major problems, we need to be objective and come with facts not ki kwai!

So yes, Honda makes good reliable products and they stand by their product.

Edited by ll2

Thats why im confused. I saw a new Red One ,nothing like those on the web site, it definitely said S,but dam battery flat in Camera so no pic. Apart from the R, next to it in Red n White the only visible difference was the S had frilly looking front disks as opposed to plain.Both were brand new with Mature riders,so no kiddy mods involved.involved. Pehaps they were 400 or 300,but im dam sure they were 500 Twins.

Maybe you saw the one from K-Speed.

10524350_489608854475335_767814640242102

One Shout one Kill.bramds.!!.Turned up today. Same Beast.Thanks.

Deacon Bell , yes i agree , and was the second to say it was good news. Honda did good. Seems a strange problem we havent had reported before (although as people have said , not all problems get reported). We wait to see what the problem was - hopefully a oneoff.

Several posts violating forum rules have been hidden from view.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

I'm glad that I didn't make all the modification on my bike with what happen....

I have to say that im not a big fan of the pipe, way to big and I wish it was black color or in carbon

I'm looking to get something like this

post-147159-14088735430261_thumb.jpg

Edited by LburtonL

The post , in general , is about a new runaround (CB 300 , a naked bike from Honda) and the mods and suggested improvements some people do to it , including various accesories .Various topics of these bikes are being discussed on the thread and LburtonL reported his new Honda gearbox was faulty. Various people then mentoined the amount of failures these Hondas are having (mainly in the 250cc guise , not this 286cc version). Although its the same engine and also fitted in the CRF 250 .We concluded Honda quality is not what it used to be.

The post , in general , is about a new runaround (CB 300 , a naked bike from Honda) and the mods and suggested improvements some people do to it , including various accesories .Various topics of these bikes are being discussed on the thread and LburtonL reported his new Honda gearbox was faulty. Various people then mentoined the amount of failures these Hondas are having (mainly in the 250cc guise , not this 286cc version). Although its the same engine and also fitted in the CRF 250 .We concluded Honda quality is not what it used to be.

jeff, there is no various people. it is you only and your dream world. as long as you cannot post any links, what you are saying is not credible. you do the same empty talk for a kawasaki model, my response will be the same: where are the facts?

back to the topic.

bikers have good producta for cbr250 and nearly all of them fits cb300f.

check it out:

http://www.bikers.co.th/gen2/index.php?calling=ms/54