CB 300f

Nebula

macknife , yes , some other people using these tires , but they are terrible. little grip in the dry , less in the wet. These bikes are often bought by new riders who need all the help/safety they can get (no offence - weve all been there) and these tires dont help. Its cost cutting gone too far. Some people who know of the problems , change the tires at the first opportunity , but others question this as a waste of money on a new bike. Hard to dispute to a "newbe". piston broke , not everyone will agree , ive no fear putting my head above the parapet. Sorry .Ive struggled but i cant figure out your joke - pipe fitter welder. Im English if that explains/helps. And what do you maen OLD BOY HA HA. Ive just turned 49 !!. Any more insults/facts like that and i will come round and hit you with my packet of "Wurthers". You may not get that if your not old , or English. Please explain joke , doing my head in !!.

first time I agree with you about something still did not read the rest!

Ircs are not a safe option. Plus a set of Pirelli just transform this I am sure in a very positive way.

Totally recommended.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone wants their tires to offer fantastic grip hot and cold , dry and wet in order to prevent accidents and skiding under braking conditions . Thats why we have ABS on some bikes. We also want the tires to last forever. Somethings got to give - pun intended. Tires are a compramise , as with many things. Look at the type of riding YOU do . Pick a dual compound type tire for good grip and mileage - Dunlop Road smart , Pirelli Demons etc or a more sporty tire (assuming you can get it up to temperature) such as Dunlop sport smart . Pirelli Diablo etc. The ones you pick will depend on price and availability etc. And personal choice/ideas.

So what tires would you put on it then if you dump the IRC?

For a good all round tyre I'd say Pirelli Sport Demons. They are a sports touring tyre, very good in the wet (better than Rosso 2s according to Pirelli) and very good in the dry, they'll also last longer than the Pirelli Rosso 2s. The Rosso 2s are a stickier tyre and better in the dry, but unless you're dragging it around a track or tight mountain bends they're probably overkill.

I'm not sure what the equivalent Michelin tyre is, but I'm sure they're very good too.

Ive heard lots of positive about the rosso 2 for the similar hondas (cbr 250/300), but these last few posts certainly highlight the daemons as probably a better alternative for the 300f. Its more all round than track bike so good tyres to fit.

Ive got the michelin pilot sporty on a cbr 150 carb and they have made a world of difference. Slid in the wet on the IRC and that was enough for me, not happened since the pilots.

Will the dealers give a discount on pirellis in exchange for the unused IRC?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wasnt ignoring the Michelins (another superb tire), its that i dont have much experience with them on my road bike - Aprilia RSV on Pirelli - but i do use them on my Husaberg 450 enduro - Michelin AC 10,s. Again , it depends where you live and what you can get locally. Or pay more to have it shipped in. A lightweight bike like a CBR will be transformed by sticky tires , and the 19 - 24 BHP (250/280cc) isnt going to over stress the tire , but a better handling bike will be able to make full use of them in the corners. On a bike likely to be used sportingly ,ie , not with a food cart attached , i think its shortsighted (and mean) to fit such poor tires.

Ive heard lots of positive about the rosso 2 for the similar hondas (cbr 250/300), but these last few posts certainly highlight the daemons as probably a better alternative for the 300f. Its more all round than track bike so good tyres to fit.

Ive got the michelin pilot sporty on a cbr 150 carb and they have made a world of difference. Slid in the wet on the IRC and that was enough for me, not happened since the pilots.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There would be no discount. When I first tried to do that in China Town Bangkok they just laughed at me. The dealers know they are rubbish.

Pirelli Sport Demons cost around 5500B for the pair and Rosso 2s are around 7500-8000B for the pair. You can save some money on the Demons and they'll last longer. I'd say definitely suited for this CB300. I have them on my baby Ninja and I'm very happy. I read a lot of reviews online before buying and all were good.

As Mac said not likely

But I sold my IRC's when I bought Rosso II's

the IRC's were less than a month old .

I put them on Baht & Sold for 2k someone offered 1600 right away

Lots of commuters like them as they last a long time.

For a good all round tyre I'd say Pirelli Sport Demons. They are a sports touring tyre, very good in the wet (better than Rosso 2s according to Pirelli) and very good in the dry, they'll also last longer than the Pirelli Rosso 2s. The Rosso 2s are a stickier tyre and better in the dry, but unless you're dragging it around a track or tight mountain bends they're probably overkill.

I'm not sure what the equivalent Michelin tyre is, but I'm sure they're very good too.

so a cheaper tire has better wet grip? i would be happy to check if you can provide us a link.

all i know pirelli rosso2s are better in every level than cheaper sport demons maybe sport demons go a couple of thousand km more. for 2000 thb difference, better get a much more better tire.

i think a set of rosso2 is around 7000 thb for cb300x.

If the stickier sport tires have minimum allowable tread the sport touring tires with more tread could easily be better in the wet. Don't forget in the rain that tire is going to be running allot cooler too. Running a slick is awesome in the dry, sucks in the wet. I am not familiar with the tires being mentioned but I can easily see how a cheaper tire intended for all weather could be better in the rain than a sport tire that maximizes dry performance by minimizing the tread pattern.

Tyre snobbery.

Sorry to have to drag Carl Fogarty out of retirement again.

So all you in the "IRC tyres are crap" gang.

we'll stick Carl Fogherty on a 300F (as its a 300F thread) with the standard IRC tyres and you on a 300F with your "top jolly" tyres - and have a race......wet, dry, on a race cuircuit or through the traffic, i'm sure Mr Fogaerty would knock spots off you, with those "rubbish" tyres.

Food for thought.

Tyre snobbery.

we'll stick Carl Fogherty on a 300F (as its a 300F thread) with the standard IRC tyres and you on a 300F with your "top jolly" tyres - and have a race......wet, dry, on a race cuircuit or through the traffic, i'm sure Mr Fogaerty would knock spots off you, with those "rubbish" tyres.

Food for thought.

yes, sure Carl Forgety beats all of us here with IRC tires but i am sure he will not be racing with IRCs.

Tyre snobbery.

Food for thought.

yes, sure Carl Forgety beats all of us here with IRC tires but i am sure he will not be racing with IRCs.

He'll be racing with the tyre comapny that gives him the most money...

Tyre snobbery.

Food for thought.

yeah but naturally, it is not IRC giving the best money and also, it is not all about money too. A maker will choose the best tires that can for their bike, just for money, they will not be eager to lose seconds or crash their bikes or race organizers will not risk many bikes losing seconds therefore a boring race.

only like 250 cc stock championship in Thailand, you have to use Thai brands only so no chance but IRCs but IRC IZ-003 then: http://www.ircthailand.com/ircthailand/admin/product/proview.php?prodno=9112

not ircs on cb300f. they are made for longevity not for enjoying a bike fully.

Tyre snobbery.

Food for thought.

yeah but naturally, it is not IRC giving the best money and also, it is not all about money too. A maker will choose the best tires that can for their bike, just for money, they will not be eager to lose seconds or crash their bikes or race organizers will not risk many bikes losing seconds therefore a boring race.

only like 250 cc stock championship in Thailand, you have to use Thai brands only so no chance but IRCs but IRC IZ-003 then: http://www.ircthailand.com/ircthailand/admin/product/proview.php?prodno=9112

not ircs on cb300f. they are made for longevity not for enjoying a bike fully.

As my uncle Percy would say "my 'ed's bleedin spinnin".....

Tyre snobbery.

Food for thought.

Carl Fogarty is long retired, stop living in the nineties.

Ladies......This thread is about the 300F not about tyres.

I've just bought a 300F and the IRC tyres seem ok to me, so i won't be changing them just because Jeffrey whats his face says they're crap.

My thinking was the same as yours, the stock IRC tires looked ok and i decided i would ride them till tire wear would indicate they needed changing,

Some months later without any notable wear and around 13k km they started giving me moments where my heart jumped and my poop nipper went in to action,

They also started jumping from side to side off the road markings, wet roads gave the impression of riding on greasy glass,

Self preservation forced me to fork out 7500bht in fear i was going to land on my ear.

Properperson , if you ride very steady the IRC tires should be ok but be extra careful in the wet. The opinion of many is that they restrict / limit the bikes handling. Up to you if you if you feel safe on them. CB 300 isnt a bad bike ( not my choice , but ok ) but better tires will improve it no end , even if your not racing Mr Fogarty. PS , my name is Nigel. (surname is Jeffrey). JEFF to friends. Hope you enoy the bike.

I've just bought a 300F and the IRC tyres seem ok to me, so i won't be changing them just because Jeffrey whats his face says they're crap.

My thinking was the same as yours, the stock IRC tires looked ok and i decided i would ride them till tire wear would indicate they needed changing,

Some months later without any notable wear and around 13k km they started giving me moments where my heart jumped and my poop nipper went in to action,

They also started jumping from side to side off the road markings, wet roads gave the impression of riding on greasy glass,

Self preservation forced me to fork out 7500bht in fear i was going to land on my ear.

If there was no notable wear after 13k km they must be very hard tyres. Back in my bigger bike days I was lucky to get 8k km out of a rear tyre and I didnt ride that hard.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If there was no notable wear after 13k km they must be very hard tyres. Back in my bigger bike days I was lucky to get 8k km out of a rear tyre and I didnt ride that hard.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In former times i also had bigger bikes where the rear tire had a very short lifespan, at times i used to take a new michelin m45 down to a slick in a day, tire technology has changed much in the last years,

Often times between jobs or even part time i was a motorcycle messenger in europe both long and short distance, would have been much safer if we had the tire tech available these days,

The last heart pumping moment the stock IRC tires gave me were on highway 304 traveling a modest 80-90 kmh bkk-prachinburi and the heavens opened up, althougth intending to go straight the bike drifted across all three lanes, with more luck than judgement i made no contact with other vehicles,

For the next few km i stayed at 40kmh on the hard shoulder until dry roads and my heart rate slowed down,

The stock IRC tires honda are putting on their bikes regardless of model are downright dangerous.

so a cheaper tire has better wet grip? i would be happy to check if you can provide us a link.

all i know pirelli rosso2s are better in every level than cheaper sport demons maybe sport demons go a couple of thousand km more. for 2000 thb difference, better get a much more better tire.

Yes they re better. They are not that much cheaper either, less than 2000B. I'd imagine they both use the same/similar rubber but the Rosso 2s have a different compound on the edge of the tyre. (hence the small price difference)

There is a performance chart at the Pirelli main dealers that gives (I think) a 5 star rating on the different functions of each tyre they sell. Sport Demons have a higher rating in the wet and mileage catergories than the Rosso 2s. Of course the dry rating is better for the Rosso 2s.

Using your logic someone could say the same thing about using Corsa or Supercorsa tyres compared with 'cheaper' Rosso 2s yet Rosso 2s outscore both those tyres in the wet but as you'd expect, not in the dry. It's all about the tread pattern mate. Rosso 2s have more than the Corsa range and the Demons have more than the Rosso 2s. It's not rocket science.

So back on topic, the CB300 could go with either tyre depending on the riding stye of that person. I chose the Demons over the Rosso 2s based on that and the fact that Thailand in the rainy season gets very wet.

I'm sure for normal riding at legal speeds irc tyres are fine ,however start trying to get your knee down and hitting warp speeds may well be a different story

I agree irc tires when new are fine, i,m not often a knee dragger these days...i guess age has something to do with that although there is the odd occasion when i do get a little immature just to feel the rush,

On reflection i think age and heat hardening from the sun on the compound of the stock irc,s had much to do with my bad experiences,

They certainly are capable of high millage and even run quite hot (wet or dry) but they dont give much warning when this deterioration steps in.

Carl fogarty would have shit his pants trying to wear my stock tires down to the limit giggle.gif

Yes they re better. They are not that much cheaper either, less than 2000B. I'd imagine they both use the same/similar rubber but the Rosso 2s have a different compound on the edge of the tyre. (hence the small price difference)

There is a performance chart at the Pirelli main dealers that gives (I think) a 5 star rating on the different functions of each tyre they sell. Sport Demons have a higher rating in the wet and mileage catergories than the Rosso 2s. Of course the dry rating is better for the Rosso 2s.

Using your logic someone could say the same thing about using Corsa or Supercorsa tyres compared with 'cheaper' Rosso 2s yet Rosso 2s outscore both those tyres in the wet but as you'd expect, not in the dry. It's all about the tread pattern mate. Rosso 2s have more than the Corsa range and the Demons have more than the Rosso 2s. It's not rocket science.

So back on topic, the CB300 could go with either tyre depending on the riding stye of that person. I chose the Demons over the Rosso 2s based on that and the fact that Thailand in the rainy season gets very wet.

not sure about wet performance. please post that chart here if you see it again!

but are you saying a bias ply tire is better than a radial tire? and for 2000 baht?! hello macknife!

rains last here 2 - 3 months and rest is dry days.

anyway, back to the topic.

irc are not deadly of course. if you go mostly on a straight line no probs and they last 20,000 km where cracks on the sidewalls and threads start to compromise the ride.

if it fits your intended usage and needs, it is a good tire for you and i can understand that still be careful though:)

happy rides!

Tyre snobbery.

Food for thought.

Carl Fogarty is long retired, stop living in the nineties.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I was just thinking the same. He's been a long time out of the racing game thumbsup.gif

not sure about wet performance. please post that chart here if you see it again!

but are you saying a bias ply tire is better than a radial tire? and for 2000 baht?! hello macknife!

rains last here 2 - 3 months and rest is dry days.

anyway, back to the topic.

irc are not deadly of course. if you go mostly on a straight line no probs and they last 20,000 km where cracks on the sidewalls and threads start to compromise the ride.

if it fits your intended usage and needs, it is a good tire for you and i can understand that still be careful though:)

happy rides!

Not sure when I'll be in there again but I will take a picture for you. I know a radial tyre has better (track) performance than an Xply tyre but that doesn't make them better in the wet.(At least at normal speeds) As some have mentioned try a slick radial race tyre in the rain and let us know how you get on. Just fitting radials doesn't mean you will gain those benefits as the cheaper suspension (and smaller tyres) on smaller engined bikes like this CB300 simply isn't good enough to feel those benefits and as you've said yourself (on a different thread) they give you a much harsher ride. Anyway, let's not turn this into a tyre debate and let people do their own research and decide for themselves.

In case any of you have missed it, the general concensus is change the IRCs as soon as possible. When the rainy season started this year I'd had enough of my bike wanting to slide all over the place on the stock IRCs every time I pulled my brakes even remotely hard. Whether it's Pirelli or Michelin, anything is better than those death traps.

Jambco,

Might have been a long time out of the racing game old fella, but he'd knock 10 bells out of you or any person on this forum, on any bike, any track, any road, any surface, any weather, any time, any place oh and on any tyres.....in fact:

Carl George Fogarty, is the most successful World Superbike racer of all time in terms of the number of championships and number of race wins.

Now retired, he is renowned for his high corner speed riding style, combined with an aggressive competitiveness, which netted him 59 victories and four World Superbike Championships (1994, 1995, 1998 and 1999).

What year was your Honda Click, by the way ?

Archived