CB 300f

Nebula

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1435915588.876861.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1435915608.012597.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1435915624.059187.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1435915640.360711.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1435915650.894104.jpg

Last week my bike crankshaft bearing went out on me. Around 15,500km. It's kinda sucked because they let me borrow a click for a week and it had some problems.

I was riding on Rama 5 on my way home about to get to rachapruk and the power of the engine was slipping, so I thought maybe the clutch wasn't engaging so I stopped at the honda center. I told them that I the clutch is <deleted> and it needs to be fixed. They manager told one of the mechanics to test ride the bike and sure enough he came back say the same it's slipping. He told another mechanic something in thai and he already knew what it was. He opened up the case and all the copper metal was dripping out of the side a small metal filter. I asked the manager if it would be under warranty and she say bring my the service book and you should me okay. I was a little nervous about it because it's only been 15,000km and the engine new a big service I asked how much would the service cost and he said maybe like 6k.

They told me they gave me a new crankshaft. New piston with rod. New cylinder. So basically an all new bottom. That made me happy but then if it happens again then I don't want the bike. Before the service I told the manager I want a 650 because I travel far to work and if the 300 can't cut it I want to just switch up. This new bottom end better last longer than 15,000km or I'm not going to want it any more. Btw the bike isn't even a year old.

They serviced the bike for me for free and took care of me. Now I'm n the break in period again and I don't trust the bike any more. Now I just hope the bike will be okay.

Honda quality. rolleyes.gif

Imagine if this happened to a 'Chinese' Benelli. whistling.gif

There would be 3 pages of posts about how crud they are compared to the reliable and amazing quality of Super Honda. sick.gif

coffee1.gif

I don't think any brand of bike can boast 100% reliability of every single bike they produce. Granted there will be a few Hondas that have problems, just like any other brand. However, if you think the long term reliability of Chinese bikes are better than Honda on average, well, I guess I want to try some of whatever coffee you're sipping there.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a case of "Wake up , and smell the coffee" . Honda has had more than its fair share of recalls lalely The quality they once had , is slowly slipping . The various companys , in various countries , that make Hondas , are "making to a price" , same as everyone . Might as well chose something exciting , stylish , powerfull and cheaper . At least nowadays theres a choice .

I think its a case of "Wake up , and smell the coffee" . Honda has had more than its fair share of recalls lalely The quality they once had , is slowly slipping . The various companys , in various countries , that make Hondas , are "making to a price" , same as everyone . Might as well chose something exciting , stylish , powerfull and cheaper . At least nowadays theres a choice .

Is the tnt300 cheaper then then cb300f? Didnt know that.

Sent from my c64

Sent from my c64

It's not. TNT 300 is 139,000 baht. CB300F is 130,000.

Regarding power, the Benelli does put out a little bit more horsepower. However, its wet weight is almost 40kg heavier than the CB, so the CB has better power/weight ratio.

Looks are completely subjective, so I'll leave that one alone whistling.gif

Sent from my c64

It's not. TNT 300 is 139,000 baht. CB300F is 130,000.

Regarding power, the Benelli does put out a little bit more horsepower. However, its wet weight is almost 40kg heavier than the CB, so the CB has better power/weight ratio.

Looks are completely subjective, so I'll leave that one alone whistling.gif

Agree everyone is diferent and the 300F is the safe option....

I bought one of the first 300F's to come out......loved it, but moved house to where there are a lot of pot holes in the side roads and the 300F's suspension struggled to cope, so decided to sell it and buy an enduro...

it was 9 months old with 800km on the clock......i bought it for 125,000 B (special introductory offer) and sold it quite easily for 110,000 B......

Not sure if I'd have bought the Benelli i'd have come out so well...

Went to the local Benelli dealers a couple of days back and had a good look round the Benelli - its got some lovely touches - they're spot on in the flesh and look very well put together, with nice touches like twin Brembo front brakes, exposed trellice frame with adjustable Sachs rear shock and Marzocchi USD forks - No other bikes can match this spec for the price.

if i was in the market for a 300 today, i think i'd plump for the Benelli....

Has anyone (else) had a problem with oil leaking from the "coolant weep hole"? (No, I'd never heard of such a thing either.) It's on the rightfront bottom of the engine casing, looks like a small pin. Photo attached. Normal to lose a bit of coolant, but mine leaks oil, particularly after a fastish ride. My dealer has so far replaced a water pump seal, and the whole right engine cover, into which the water pump is built. Still leaks, enough to lose 300 cc's in 1000 km ride. If anyone has encounterd this problem, I'd love to hear how you dealt with it. Photo attached.

Thank you.

post-90174-0-22492100-1441455767_thumb.j

today my bike shut off even if my # wasn't on the recall list ... monday honda dealership again FML

My dealer checked the serial number on the switch--it was outside the "not good" range, but they offered to replace it under warranty if it stalls again. If it does, I will.

yes had it fix twice already and still leaking ones in a while little quantity

The mechanic suggested replacing the seal with one with a slightly smaller ID, 9 instead of 10 mm. I found the part with no problem, but want to monitor the leaking a bit first--would replacing with non-standard part void the waranty? I heard, yes heard, that the latest 300's don't have this weep hole. I know for a fact that the CBR 250's don't.

yes had it fix twice already and still leaking ones in a while little quantity

The mechanic suggested replacing the seal with one with a slightly smaller ID, 9 instead of 10 mm. I found the part with no problem, but want to monitor the leaking a bit first--would replacing with non-standard part void the waranty? I heard, yes heard, that the latest 300's don't have this weep hole. I know for a fact that the CBR 250's don't.

Sorry, should be ID of 4 rather than 5

Honda spec; 12 20 5 (PN 91205-KFO-003)

modified: 12 20 4

Has anyone (else) had a problem with oil leaking from the "coolant weep hole"? (No, I'd never heard of such a thing either.) It's on the rightfront bottom of the engine casing, looks like a small pin. Photo attached. Normal to lose a bit of coolant, but mine leaks oil, particularly after a fastish ride. My dealer has so far replaced a water pump seal, and the whole right engine cover, into which the water pump is built. Still leaks, enough to lose 300 cc's in 1000 km ride. If anyone has encounterd this problem, I'd love to hear how you dealt with it. Photo attached.

Thank you.

If you Google coolant weep hole it appears all water pumps have one. Its purpose is to give an indication that the seals in the water pump are leaking. Water from hole= pump problem. Haven't seen what is under crankcase but looking at pump location and weep hole location possibly connected by a hose? If so maybe hose is split/holed if engine oil is coming out of it.

Thank you.

If you Google coolant weep hole it appears all water pumps have one. Its purpose is to give an indication that the seals in the water pump are leaking. Water from hole= pump problem. Haven't seen what is under crankcase but looking at pump location and weep hole location possibly connected by a hose? If so maybe hose is split/holed if engine oil is coming out of it.

Thanks for your thoughts, Alan, but I've checked new models in the showroom and there's no hose attached to the weep hole. Some coolant seepage is normal, but not oil.

Are you 100% sure ( no offence ) its coming from the water pump seal leakage "hole" . If theres oil in there , it would be mixed with water in the cooling system , and would come out emulsified . This would point to the head gasket , and there may also be water in the oil . Clean all around the area very carefully , then run the engine while underneath , observing . It could be coming from the engine cases joint / gasket . A compression check / cylinder leakage test , may also point you in the right dirrection . Good luck .

Are you 100% sure ( no offence ) its coming from the water pump seal leakage "hole" . If theres oil in there , it would be mixed with water in the cooling system , and would come out emulsified . This would point to the head gasket , and there may also be water in the oil . Clean all around the area very carefully , then run the engine while underneath , observing . It could be coming from the engine cases joint / gasket . A compression check / cylinder leakage test , may also point you in the right dirrection . Good luck .

I notice that the oil drops off the pin in the photo I posted, but in the same photo you can see oil behind the pin, which I'd put down to the wind forcing it in that direction while riding. Leakage on the CB 300 in this area is known to Honda, and their methods of solving it are the seal folllowed by the engine cover--niether of which have worked. Your idea of a stationery test is a good one--thanks very much for your thoughts. Man, I'll be happy when I can get out from behind this desk and ride!

Im confused - not for the first time !. IF , and i cant see how , oil is coming from the pipe / hole, it would HAVE to be mixed with the cooling system water , and would look like thin brown custard . Theres no oil system "behind" that pipe , only the coolant . If oils getting into the coolent system , you need Honda - before warranty runs out - to do a compression / leakage tests . If its neat black / brown oil , i would susspect the crancase joint . EDIT - riding it while its leaking would blow the oil around . You need to clean the area , spotless , and dry , and see where the oil creeps from .

Edited by ktm jeff

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I had a small accident - crashed the plastic barriers with my right leg an the bike's right side. I didn't fall off, so I stopped and checked everything was in place and then continued moving. Maybe it was a coincidence but the engine started producing a very loud rattling noise and I took the bike to the dealer next day.

So they checked the bike and told me that the timing chain tensioner was the problem. I came back in a few days and learnt that they've changed the tensioner but the noise has not gone. Now the bike is still in the shop and they are "cheking" it.

Perhaps someone has ideas or past experience on the same.

Thank you

A few days ago I had a small accident - crashed the plastic barriers with my right leg an the bike's right side. I didn't fall off, so I stopped and checked everything was in place and then continued moving. Maybe it was a coincidence but the engine started producing a very loud rattling noise and I took the bike to the dealer next day.

So they checked the bike and told me that the timing chain tensioner was the problem. I came back in a few days and learnt that they've changed the tensioner but the noise has not gone. Now the bike is still in the shop and they are "cheking" it.

Thank you

No coincidence, just something on the engine touching something on the bodywork as a result of your minor off.

As for the tensioner, they normally get noisier and noisier, I think you were conned.

Suggest you start by going around the bike hitting different parts of the bodywork gently with your hand until you hear the same noise.

Thank you

Two sources of rattling on mine. First was a split rubber bush on the front mounting bolt of the fuel tank. Second was the fuel filler cap. When the rattle is there put your hand on the fuel filler cap and see if rattle goes then try pressing down on top of fuel tank on each side.

Thank you

Any update on the rattle?

Yes, I have some.

Crankshaft, main bearing, piston and the cylinder - all go to the trash bin. I got the bill listing 17 parts to be replaced, so they decided to completely refurbish the engine.

My attempt to turn it onto a warranty issue has been rejected by "no oil insai (inside)". Needless to say that there was oil, that was the first thing that I've cheked when the noise appeared.

On the bright side of that I will have an almost new engine, but it costs almost 13 K baht.

Yes, I have some.

Crankshaft, main bearing, piston and the cylinder - all go to the trash bin. I got the bill listing 17 parts to be replaced, so they decided to completely refurbish the engine.

My attempt to turn it onto a warranty issue has been rejected by "no oil insai (inside)". Needless to say that there was oil, that was the first thing that I've cheked when the noise appeared.

On the bright side of that I will have an almost new engine, but it costs almost 13 K baht.

Bit sad. Pure coincidence it happen with the minor prang?

Bit sad. Pure coincidence it happen with the minor prang?

Yes, looks like this. I can't image what an impact should be to damage the main bearing, but I wouldn't have any chance to stay alive after that defo.

Blackpanda had the same. Bit worrying.

Babooshka , your engine isnt the first to let go , and wont be the last . As mentioned , BlackPandas engine let go at 15,000 KM , although some let go at just 1,000 KM . How many KM are on the clock . I cant understand why Honda wont honour the warranty on this common , known problem . It would help worried owners of these 250 / 300 engines ( fitted in the CB / CBR / CRF ) if we had feedback from Honda , or repair shops , as to the cause . Some suspect the fault lies in the cam chain area . Tensioner ? . Maybe replacement every 10K is an idea , untill Honda finds the cause .

Babooshka , your engine isnt the first to let go , and wont be the last . As mentioned , BlackPandas engine let go at 15,000 KM , although some let go at just 1,000 KM . How many KM are on the clock . I cant understand why Honda wont honour the warranty on this common , known problem . It would help worried owners of these 250 / 300 engines ( fitted in the CB / CBR / CRF ) if we had feedback from Honda , or repair shops , as to the cause . Some suspect the fault lies in the cam chain area . Tensioner ? . Maybe replacement every 10K is an idea , untill Honda finds the cause .

You are back on the self destructing engines again.