Do you declare income earned in LOS on your nanny state tax return

Im antipodean and I work in LOS.... 30k PCM deal. Should I bother reporting this to the accountant. The nanny state tax department where I come from is not as anal as the IRS in america and thus I think that I should not bother. What do you do if your in the same situation

cheers

jack

If you have immovable assets or income that can be garnished in your nanny-state homeland you should talk to the tax authorities there. If you are afraid to do that then talk to an accountant there.

My nanny state say that if I meet their criteria for non residency then I do not need to file returns or remit taxes to them. There is one catch. I must be taxable somewhere.

If this affects you too then talk to a Thai accountant about this. There are many good English speaking ones in places like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket etc. It's easy to structure a situation where you are taxable in Thailand but required to pay nothing. It's also nice to know when one is 100% above board and legal.

Edited by 96tehtarp

You might check to see if your home country has a tax treaty with Thailand. If so, it is likely that income earned and taxed in Thailand is exempt from taxation in your home country.

• Like 2

Noise is correct, certainly UK & Thailand have a tax treaty, so tax paid in one is not double-taxed in the other. But 30k baht paid in cash, leave it to you

As does the US with a $97,600 income exclusion.

I was just looking the other day, at this very thing, for seeing about (if) I needed to do the next return.

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/going-overseas/

last time over (when working), because I did a Tax Return in OZ; any and all monies earned O/S has to be declared.

No minimum threshold - even a AU$ equivalent would have to be annotated...

Noise is correct, certainly UK & Thailand have a tax treaty, so tax paid in one is not double-taxed in the other. But 30k baht paid in cash, leave it to you

Though you have to specifically elect to take the exclusion on your income tax return, so theoretically if the IRS years later finds out about your 30k and you didn't file a return the IRS might decide that you owe them money.

Though you have to specifically elect to take the exclusion on your income tax return, so theoretically if the IRS years later finds out about your 30k and you didn't file a return the IRS might decide that you owe them money.

The think that usually checks US Citizems is the Exclusion must be claimed within two years of due date for the year you claim. Once claimed you will have to cancel the claim if not used in subsequent years.. Then there is 330 days a year outside the USA to claim full exclusion.

The think that usually checks US Citizems is the Exclusion must be claimed within two years of due date for the year you claim. Once claimed you will have to cancel the claim if not used in subsequent years.. Then there is 330 days a year outside the USA to claim full exclusion.

Didn't know about the 2 yr threshold. I think that you can either elect to take an exclusion of the $97K of earned income or take a credit for foreign income taxes you pay. Usually it's more beneficial to take the income exclusion but the IRS does not automatically apply the one that is more beneficial for you, you have to select it. But it sounds as if the OP is not American anyway, so it's a bit off-topic.

Edited by AngelsLariat

I was just looking the other day, at this very thing, for seeing about (if) I needed to do the next return.

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/going-overseas/

last time over (when working), because I did a Tax Return in OZ; any and all monies earned O/S has to be declared.

If that is the case, how is double taxation to be avoided?

There is a dual taxation agreement between Australia and Thailand, which seeks to avoid double taxation, of the same income.

If I declare my Australian income, and that is taxed in Australia; and if I declare my Thai income, and that is taxed in Thailand, then why do I have to declare both incomes in both countries?

• Like 1

Exactly in your situation and I did the "Right" thing and regretted it. Dont tell Nanny anything about your work in LOS they will never find out as its still likely all Thai tax records are paper based and even if it is computerised Nanny would not have access to this. I ended up paying extra $800 in tax, lodged an appeal and lost. I know its the honest thing to do but the other side of the coin is you are losing your high pay in nanny and why the hell should nanny get a piece more of your income to do what? pay the PM's huge salary increases every year, nuff said.

• Like 1

If that is the case, how is double taxation to be avoided?

There is a dual taxation agreement between Australia and Thailand, which seeks to avoid double taxation, of the same income.

If I declare my Australian income, and that is taxed in Australia; and if I declare my Thai income, and that is taxed in Thailand, then why do I have to declare both incomes in both countries?

I can't comment on Australian tax regulations but the position in the UK is that if foreign income is taxed at a lower rate than in the UK you may be liable for the difference between the UK tax payable and the actual foreign tax paid. Therefore if foreign tax was paid at 15% you would have to pay an additional 5% to the UK tax authorities.

When I moved to live in Thailand, I signed a declaration stating that I was now non-resident for income tax and capital gains tax. As a result, only my UK income is liable to UK income tax.

Alan

• Like 1

yeah @Eneukman, that 1st paragraph is what I equate to.

The military-based exemption Visa I was on lasted 3 years apiece, where I was full time deployed, and domiciled at a set address, exempted from any Entry/Exit hassles at the Points of Entry/Dep[arture for the entire periods (did this twice for 3 years each time), but of course I (we) were always seen as non-resident.

As such, the Tax bill had to eventually be acquitted upon return to Aust. Nail-biting experience when, it eventuated I had 7 years of Tax Returns to submit at the one time...

...dontcha jez luv taxtime...