All Food Related, restaurants, reviews, best pizza, Thai food etc...

Seastallion

The Cottage -  (Phone No. 089 679 3444)
This restaurant/bar is situated  on Klongrien 1, about 200m south of the Hat Yai Bangkok Hospital, look for a cottage style building with a faux red UK telephone box outside. You can either take a table inside or sit outside, inside tables are quite big refectory type affairs, so you might find yourself sharing. It's a popular haunt for students; a bar and restaurant that stays open until 1am with live music at weekends.

Food, despite the name and the red telephone box, is Thai and the menu is huge so takes a while to read through, there's a good seafood selection. I saw pizza on the menu though the toppings are Thai style, wasn't tempted. We had a selection of dishes including curry crab and a steamed fish. Wide selection of drinks, they have a range of cocktails and shots, plus draught local beers. The food and atmosphere was good, service a little hit and miss at times, but they were busy. Meal for five adults and a child with drinks came to Bht2,200. Will visit again.

Pailin Steakhouse 
Sripoovanart Road close by the fire station, on the right hand side going into Hat Yai, has a brightly lit sign and a modern decor. Passed it many times decided this weekend to give it a try. We shouldn't have.

What to say, decor was neat and clean, service was quick and attentive, menu is extensive, food is cheap but fairly awful. Steak and drinks for four adults and a child Bht1,500.  One to miss.

Edited by Stocky

Ok hope this is correct place as it is a food it should make the Grade.

Im after where to buy Licorice in Chiang Mai, since being here for 2 years I have been able to buy at either Tops or Rimping first Tops stopped stocking it(or at least the ones I go to) and now finally Rimping the last that still stocked it stopped as well(the one over the river behind the Night Bazaar). 

I used to buy HARIBO brand as that was all I could find, it had Lakritz on the bag(which I know translates to Licorice), it is my substitute for more sweeter things while I try and contain my weight.

All help greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Ok hope this is correct place as it is a food it should make the Grade.

Im after where to buy Licorice in Chiang Mai, since being here for 2 years I have been able to buy at either Tops or Rimping first Tops stopped stocking it(or at least the ones I go to) and now finally Rimping the last that still stocked it stopped as well(the one over the river behind the Night Bazaar). 

I used to buy HARIBO brand as that was all I could find, it had Lakritz on the bag(which I know translates to Licorice), it is my substitute for more sweeter things while I try and contain my weight.

All help greatly appreciated.

I think you posted in a topic on the wrong forum. Perhaps do a topic on the Chiang Mai Forum .

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Was in Gaps Garten (7.0043368, 100.486776) again last night and they now have draft Singha as an alternative to the very good, though expensive, imported German bottle beers. Food was as good as usual, though service was just as slow. Total bill for five adults and a child for two course meal with drinks/alcohol was Bht2,700.

They also have live music at weekends now. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Basil - (Phone: 081 891 9321)
We'd been meaning to try this restaurant for some time, so thought Mother's Day would be a good opportunity. Restaurant is tucked away down Punnakun Road Soi 2, just of Kanjanavanit Road heading toward PSU (7.000967, 100.49213). It's styled as Italian, Mediterranean, cuisine.

The menu is extensive, with a wide selection of appetisers, pasta, pizza, mains and desserts. We didn't order any pizza but the ones we saw being served elsewhere looked really good. We had a variety of starters and mains, all were well presented and very tasty, with large portions, daughter's locally sourced steak was surprisingly good.  The place was busy, so service was a little hit and miss, annoyingly some of the appetisers arrived after the mains. Finished off with dessert, the lemon tart was excellent.

Overall prices were reasonable ranging from Bht180 for pasta dishes, to Bht250 for main course, and going up to Bht800 for an imported Australian steak. For three adults and a child the total bill for a 3 course meal with drinks, including alcohol, came to Bht2,700.

We'll be back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The Basil - (Phone: 081 891 9321)
We'd been meaning to try this restaurant for some time, so thought Mother's Day would be a good opportunity. Restaurant is tucked away down Punnakun Road Soi 2, just of Kanjanavanit Road heading toward PSU (7.000967, 100.49213). It's styled as Italian, Mediterranean, cuisine.

We'll be back.

One of my favorites. I have been going there for 5-6 years, and consistently good. I make myself try something different every time I go, and I've never been disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am just settling back into Trang. On the way home from work today and I tried Mamma Mia's Pizza and Coffee Shop on Visatekul near Soi 5. 0972642179

The owners are an Italian man and his Thai wife. Both just returned from 30 years cooking in Italian kitchens and you can taste it. I had the spaghetti carbonara (180B) and I wanted to lick the bowl (and I probably did, when you weren't looking). Paninis, Pizza, Salads, and Pastas. It came with bread with olive oil and balsamic (as it should). I had a lemon shake to drink for a total 220B.

It was delicious. The setting is very Italian in decor, and the owner is very friendly.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 7:12 PM, Joosesis said:

I am just settling back into Trang. On the way home from work today and I tried Mamma Mia's Pizza and Coffee Shop on Visatekul near Soi 5. 0972642179

The owners are an Italian man and his Thai wife. Both just returned from 30 years cooking in Italian kitchens and you can taste it. I had the spaghetti carbonara (180B) and I wanted to lick the bowl (and I probably did, when you weren't looking). Paninis, Pizza, Salads, and Pastas. It came with bread with olive oil and balsamic (as it should). I had a lemon shake to drink for a total 220B.

It was delicious. The setting is very Italian in decor, and the owner is very friendly.

I saw they had a write up in Freedom Travel Magazine.  I'll give them a try... how are the pizzas?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 8:15 AM, Joosesis said:

I didn't try the pizza, but saw it at another table and it looked good. I am not a big pizza eater, though, so I'm not the best judge.

Another place just outside of town on route 4  is PorDee Come.....I know funny name, but it means just the right mouthful.. or close to it.. The steaks and western and Thai food are pretty good.  they are on FB.. the Salmon appetizer is quite tasty....They even have Cherry Coke...

Free italian food today 16 Dec @ 18:00 Aqua Viva (Chumphon)

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1016151-Free-italian-food-today-16-Dec-@-18:00-Aqua-Viva

The pizza is pretty good and a new Italian has come to run the restaurant operations. I did a test run last week and he is serious about making it great again, including being open 7 days a week. Hopefully some of you can make it.

It will be a buffet with pizza, pasta and a few other goodies. Located in the Armonia Village near Thung wua laen beach, Pathio, Chumphon: https://goo.gl/maps/tb2bvZZhHym

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Free italian food today 16 Dec @ 18:00 Aqua Viva (Chumphon)

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1016151-Free-italian-food-today-16-Dec-@-18:00-Aqua-Viva

The pizza is pretty good and a new Italian has come to run the restaurant operations. I did a test run last week and he is serious about making it great again, including being open 7 days a week. Hopefully some of you can make it.

It will be a buffet with pizza, pasta and a few other goodies. Located in the Armonia Village near Thung wua laen beach, Pathio, Chumphon: https://goo.gl/maps/tb2bvZZhHym

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wow.. enjoy..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a list of my current favourites around Hat Yai.

Western

De Van Cuisine - (Phone: 074-351438) (7.007237, 100.475424)
The Basil - (Phone: 081-8919321) (7.000930, 100.492144)
Wine Society - (Phone: 090-7130525) (7.001368, 100.491034)
Wine Village - (Phone: 074-800157) (7.009659, 100.487101)

Pub Food
Gap's Garten - (Phone: 074-231230) (7.0043368, 100.486776)
Quigley's Irish Bar & Restaurant - (Phone: 074-239168) (7.001475, 100.472079)
Homeless Bar & Grill - (Phone: 080-5339553) (7.004859, 100.473582)
The Swan Pub - (Phone: .) (7.004281, 100.4729181)
Post Laser Disc - (Phone: 074-232027) (7.0043286, 100.4722463)

Thai

Samila Seafood Hat Yai - (Phone: 074-351353) (7.008960, 100.473542)
The Cottage - (Phone: 089-6793444) (7.013320, 100.485294)

Kan Eng - (Phone: 074-246138) (7.003058, 100.473291)

Other Asian

Hashi Japanese Restaurant - (Phone: 074-221988) (7.005342, 100.486309)
Tongpoon Vietnamese Restaurant - (Phone: 074-357831) (7.005519, 100.484472)
A Little Dim Sum - (Phone: 098-0105599 ) (7.001319, 100.472152)
Seoul Korean BBQ - (Phone: 074-239246) (7.0139581, 100.4766102)

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of trendy new places at the east end of Thumnoonvithi, the studenty end of town near PSU.  Had dinner yesterday at roof terrace restaurant/bar just off Thumnoonvithi on Prachayindee at the Rise Condominium complex.

Good Evening - (Phone: 089-6464215) (7.006859, 100.487896)

Roof terrace restaurant and bar up on the 3rd floor of the Rise Condominium complex. Mix of traditional tables and sofa-couch coffee table seating. Nice, breezy, roof garden setting with live music. Food is mainly Thai and a little western / Thai-confusion, not a huge menu but the food was very good and the service quick and attentive. Dinner, main and dessert + plus drinks, for five adults and two children came to Bht3,300. The place is open until 1am and given the extensive cocktail menu I guess it becomes more of a drinking venue as the night goes on. We enjoyed it so will be back.

• 2 months later...

So many new eating and drinking spots in Hat Yai.

The Barrel - (Phone: 084-6934896) (7.004693, 100.479537)

Beer garden on the soi running parallel to Thamnoonvithi about 400m east of Saengthong Vittaya Catholic School. Pleasant setting, there's a roll on roof if the weather turns nasty. Bar restaurant, mix of western (German meets TexMex) and Thai, wide selection of beers Thai, German & Belgian, plus Brothers Somerset cider. Menu has all the usual Thai favourites, plus steaks, German sausages, ribs, burgers, nachos, even spaghetti & meat balls. Prices are reasonable, Thai dishes from 100 to 250Bht, Western as high as 599 Bht for an Aussy rib-eye steak. Beers are 80-120 for local and up to 250 for the high alcohol Belgian beers. We were only there for the beer, so only had a couple of Thai snacks to go with some weizenbier and a couple of ciders. Will go again and take the family for a meal, nice place.

• 6 months later...

พระนคร (Pra Nakorn) (Phone: 074 800 372) (7.0052415, 100.4846478)

Fairly recent addition to the strip of bars & restaurants along Thumnoonvithi Rd east of the junction with Thanon Sam Sip Met heading towards PSU. It's on the right hand side heading out of town opposite the Vietnamese restaurant in the little parallel soi. It used to be the White Line bar, but that was knocked down and this modern bar & restaurant built in its place. It's a Thai restaurant, all the usual favourites and well priced. There's live music and a young Thai clientele. Food was very good, meal for two with plenty of beer was under Bht2,000.

Note that Gap's Garten, the German restaurant & bar has now closed - pity, will miss the spätzle.

Edited by Stocky

• 4 weeks later...

Kenta Hat Yai (Phone: 0936943502) (7.008893, 100.477214)
Japanese restaurant on Thanon Supasarnrangsan, south side opposite Supasarn Rangsan Park. This moderately priced Japanese restaurant opened just over a year ago and has been on my list for a while. Not as refined, or as expensive as the Hashi, but  none the less a very welcome addition to the dinning options in Hat Yai. An extensive menu that takes a while to navigate, even with the helpful little pictures. Plenty of Sashimi and Sushi options, plus Teppanyaki, Donburi and Ramen. Local beers available plus Sake, though sadly no Japanese beers on the menu. The restaurant is popular and gets very busy, so best to book at the weekends. A very ample dinner for three adults and a hungry child, with alcohol came to Bht2,700.

We'll be back.

Note the Good Evening roof top restaurant has closed, their Facebook page says it's just relocating, but time will tell. Whilst Hat Yai has many new restaurants opening, it also has many that close within the first year or two.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of new or newish bar/restaurants we've tried recently.

Sweet Onion (Phone: 062-9793495) (7.010139, 100.479225)
Located on Soi Samchai, just north of the junction with Supasarnrangsan Rd, this was the Chim Chill, but was recently replaced with this music bar / restaurant. Interesting selection of bottled craft beers, though that'll probably only last until they've sold the initial stock, which seems to be the way of it, not really enough sales to warrant the overhead. No draft beer, but in addition to the craft beers they have the usual Thai offerings, plus Federbrau. Live music, seems to be a succession of jobbing musicians who play an hour's session each, mainly solo acts, and all Thai music. There's a good selection of Thai food, but what we had was fairly average, though adequate to go with the beer. We were there on a Sunday night, so it was fairly quiet. Evening for two, food and drinks was Bht1,300.

Eighteen Nineteen (Phone: 063-1191819) (6.998708, 100.484454)
A large bar on Klongrean 2 Rd, just north of the junction with Sripoovanart Rd. Several different sitting and activity areas, ranged around a swimming pool in the middle of the bar, which makes it a little different. It's been here a few years I think. Live music, the main band comes on about 11:30, they were very good, mainly Thai music with a few rock classics, though thankfully no 'Hotel California'.  The usual selection of Thai beers plus Asahi - there are beer girls, nicely attired, trying to get you to buy their beer. Reasonable Thai food menu, what we had was good, though we were there drinking rather than eating, so snacks only. A mixed crowd, mainly locals plus a few Malaysian Chinese, all variously there for the music, the big screen football, or the pool table. Though there also seemed to be a few freelancers hanging around, as I was with the wife I couldn't pay too much attention. A good venue, will likely visit again, an evening for two, drinks and snacks was Bht900.

One restaurant we've visted several times now and is always busy.

Homeless Bar & Grill (Phone: 080-5339553) (7.004859, 100.473582)

Not easy to find, it's in an old fashioned half timber building in a tiny soi, Soi Pracharom, just off Thumnoonvithi Rd. Because the restaurant is small and it's extremely popular it's advisable to book. The restaurant's motto is "Good meat, Good rub, Good smoke", they have their own smoke house out the back. It's basically all about meat, and lots of it. American style smokehouse and BBQ, the ribs and pulled pork are excellent, you'll find the best burger in Hat Yai here, and the steaks aren't bad either. Service is brisk, menu is extensive, food is excellent, prices are low. Range of local bottled beers, occasionally they'll have craft beers on promo. Tables are a little snug, but the atmosphere is great with an R&B soundtrack, they have live music at weekends. Meal for 3 adults and hungry child with drinks/alcohol usually comes out between Bht800 to 1400. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Billin Cafe & Bistro (Phone: 0876898343) (7.011910, 100.478582)
Western style, coffee shop and cakes at the front, bistro style restaurant at the back, at the north end of Supasarnrangsan Soi 4. I'd seen a review for this a while back, but only got round to paying a visit this weekend. Wow what a surprise. Exceptionally good food, not a huge menu but what they do they do very well. Western style French/Italian with the occasional Thai twist. Mix of pasta, risotto and meat & fish dishes, served in the modern style - more substantive than novelle cuisine but not pie & mash. Drinks they have a wide selection of non-alcoholic options, not so many alcoholic choices with many on the menu they no longer have, Heineken was the only locally brewed option, but they did have some Weihenstephan weissbier, for wine it's a case of BYOB. Service was attentive and the food arrived all together, somewhat unusual by Thai standards. Everything was cooked to perfection and the sauces were yummy. For dessert you need to visit the cafe to view the displays, there's a wide array of cakes, cheesecakes and tiramisu. Dinner for four with alcohol came to Bht2,200 - we'll most certainly be back! This has knocked The Basil off top spot for me.

Sleepless Corner (Phone: 0646896422 ) (7.012672, 100.478444)
Just up from the Billin Cafe on the corner with Jootee Anusorn Rd is this corner bar and restaurant. Thought we'd give it a try as we'd spotted it leaving the Billin Cafe the night before. Fairly standard modern style corner bar, open on 3 sides. Live music making use of the rotating bands that seem to criss-cross Hat Yai playing an hour at one one venue, than another hour set at another, mostly Thai music with the occasional western classic thrown in. Big screen with the football on. The Thai menu is extensive, not just snacks, but all the Thai favourites. Bottle beer selection includes the main Thai brands, plus Singha and Hoegaarden Original and Rosee on draft. Fairly busy for a Sunday evening, mixed crowd of young Thais with the occasional older man with I suspect his mia noi. An evening for two, with plenty of beer, cocktails and snacks was Bht1,100. Nothing special, but a pleasant evening.

Note that The Barrel (7.004693, 100.479537) has changed name to Good Times not paid it a visit since the name change, but it looks much like it did previously, just a new sign.

• 1 month later...

The Sweet Onion (7.010139, 100.479225) has changed its name yet again, it's now Zig Zax - was there last night and it was busy, band were rubbish, but the food was good.

Edited by Stocky