All Food Related, restaurants, reviews, best pizza, Thai food etc...

Seastallion

The Nine Bistro (Phone: 0998086719) (6.998335, 100.476178)
On Sripoovanart Road, north side, just past the Kasikorn Bank opposite the Winstone Hotel, a shophouse unit hidden behind potted plants and hanging baskets. Inside is a small double height restaurant, wooden panelled and hung with pictures and portraits of the Late King, along with with bric-a-brac and curios from old Thailand. The food is authentic southern Thai cuisine, with many old fashioned dishes that reminded my wife of her grandmother's cooking. The food was excellent, portions aren't huge portions, so we sampled a good selection of dishes. The restaurant was busy, so service was leisurely which gave time to enjoy the succession of dishes, and the pleasant atmosphere of the little restaurant. We all enjoyed the food and the restaurant, so will certainly be back. Food for four adults and two children with drinks including alcohol came to Bht2000.

Revised list of favourites around Hat Yai:

Western

Billin Cafe & Bistro (Phone: 0876898343) (7.011910, 100.478582)
De Van Cuisine - (Phone: 074-351438) (7.007237, 100.475424)
The Basil - (Phone: 081-8919321) (7.000930, 100.492144)
Wine Society - (Phone: 090-7130525) (7.001368, 100.491034)

Thai
The Nine Bistro - (Phone: 0998086719) (6.998335, 100.476178)
Kan Eng - (Phone: 074-246138) (7.003058, 100.473291)
Samila Seafood Hat Yai - (Phone: 074-351353) (7.008960, 100.473542)
The Cottage - (Phone: 089-6793444) (7.013320, 100.485294)

Other Asian
Hashi Japanese Restaurant - (Phone: 074-221988) (7.005342, 100.486309)
A Little Dim Sum - (Phone: 098-0105599 ) (7.001319, 100.472152)
Kenta Hat Yai - (Phone: 0936943502) (7.008893, 100.477214)
Tongpoon Vietnamese Restaurant - (Phone: 074-357831) (7.005519, 100.484472)

Pub Food
Homeless Bar & Grill - (Phone: 080-5339553) (7.004859, 100.473582)
Quigley's Irish Bar & Restaurant - (Phone: 074-239168) (7.001475, 100.472079)
The Swan Pub - (Phone: .) (7.004281, 100.4729181)
Post Laser Disc - (Phone: 074-232027) (7.0043286, 100.4722463)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Went to the พระนคร (Pra Nakorn) (7.0052415, 100.4846478) last night and it's closed, looked terminal rather than temporary. No doubt another music bar will be trying it's luck shortly.

The Good Times (7.004693, 100.479537) has also closed, that was a few months back.

We ended up in Eighteen Nineteen (6.998708, 100.484454), which is still going strong, though the music wasn't so good last night.

Alive (Phone: 0832426391) (6.997670, 100.511123)
This is in Kho Hong on the outskirts of Hat Yai, past PSU and the Convention Centre on Poonnakan Rd, right hand side leaving town. Visually striking, first thing you see is the big tree decked with lanterns, entering the restaurant you realise there are multiple levels with platforms and rooms up in the trees. The restaurant is busy and popular with large Chinese-Malaysian family groups. Thai food, menu is pretty standard. We had to wait ten minutes for a table, so would book next time. Food was very good, but the service was awful, dishes arrived in fits and starts, rice arrived midway. Meal for three adults, with alcohol was Bht935 - so a cheap night out. Will probably give them a second chance, the food probably just compensated for the wait and general disorder, plus the restaurant layout gives you plenty to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

De Van Cuisine (Phone: 0934452244) (7.007237, 100.475424)

Last week when we went the restaurant was all shuttered up, so were thinking the worst. So phoned ahead yesterday and found they were open again, they'd just taken a week's holiday.

Restaurant was busy, with a surprising number of farang faces amongst the Thai regulars. Food was excellent as per usual, good to see that they've now acquired a sous-vide machine, so the pork tenderloin was buttery and ultra-tender. Chef must have popped in on The Billin Bistro and taken note.

Still excellent service, despite being full, and great value for money; a three course meal for four, including alcohol, for Bht2,000.

DADDY Steakhouse & Grill (Phatthalung)

https://www.facebook.com/DADDYSTEAKHOUSE/

There's quite a few steak places in Phatthalung but this one is the best in town. Larn Ta Chu Steak House is the local favourite but the food is just okay compared to Daddy Steakhouse & Grill. The local owner has been a chef in many decent hotels and his food is always nicely presented. 

It's not cheap as he only uses Australian beef for his steaks (700-1300 baht) but it's worth it if you want a decent meal. The pizzas are good for the price too.

The staff are well trained, attentive but don't hover round the tables. Burgers are served in home baked brioche buns and the deserts (creme brulee being my favourite) are always beautiful and delicious. 

Wine can be bought by the glass or bottle and he also sells German wheat and dunkel beers.

A typical meal for two costs about 2000-2500 baht. 

I've driven past the sign for Daddy Steakhouse a few times, there's that strange building next door with a concrete frog playing a guitar.

It puzzled me slightly as to how it survives, and if you say steaks are 700-1300 baht a pop, I'm even more surprised. 

Pranee (Phone: 0917045949) (7.008003, 100.475441)
This Thai restaurant is tucked away on Soi 2, Supasarnrangsan Rd, just a block behind the De Van Cuisine. It's a proper looking, modern style restaurant, no open front with plastic chairs, this restaurant aspires to be a cut above the rest, and it succeeds. Sleek modern, but simple, decor and a relaxed atmosphere, the menu covers all the usual Thai favourites. We had five dishes between the four of us, crab meat curry, duck red curry, chicken green curry, grouper fish in lemon & chilli, and deep fried shrimp cakes. All the dishes were excellent, flavoursome and well presented, but the stand out was the crab meat curry, not easy to find in Hat Yai, where it's usually the whole crab. Note the fish was a portion of, rather than the whole fish. Total cost, with beers and a dessert, was Bht1,500 which is great value for money. We all agreed that this is probably the best Thai restaurant we've been to in Hat Yai, so we'll be back again soon.

Acoustic Plus (Phone: 0818975495) (7.007282, 100.484838)
With the Pra Nakorn closed, thought we'd try the Acoustic as it's not that far away on Klongrien 1 at the junction with Soi 7 Rajyindee. A well established music pub with bands that cover Thai songs from the 90s, certainly no Hotel California here. Nice layout with a stage in right-hand corner, central island bar, seating at tables, with screens for the football/movies whatever. Busy for a Sunday night, seemed to be a largely Thai crowd apart from me. Nice atmosphere, band was good, menu looked interesting, though we just had a few snacks which were tasty enough. Local beers only, Singha, Chang and Leo, plus a cocktail menu. An enjoyable night out for two for Bht1,000.

• 3 months later...

Was back in the Hashi Japanese (7.005255, 100.486331) restaurant yesterday, still as good as before, though their dessert selection is more limited; much to my granddaughter's disappointment - she's partial to the strawberry or chocolate kakigori.

But noticed two new additions nearby, both Japanese, will have to give them a try in the future, though if anyone has tried please post a review.

Oshinei Japanese (7.005368, 100.482677)
Thamnoonvithi Rd, some 200m on the left after the Sam-Sip-Met junction heading toward PSU. New timber faux-Japanese building set back from the road.

Sushi Champion (7.005024, 100.486995)
Thamnoonvithi Rd, opposite the SeaTrue Pub. I'm guessing a new branch of the sushi restaurant in town.

mi.rin.da (Phone: 0987188415) (7.011436, 100.478473)
This is on Suphansarangsan Soi 4, on the other side of the soi from the Billin Cafe. It's been there a while but has now had something of a makeover, old building knocked about and a new 'shed' built at the back. It's a pub / music bar / grill surprisingly busy for a Sunday night, but this little corner of Hat Yai is lively most nights with this bar/grill, the Billin Cafe Bistro, Namu korean fried chicken, Sleepless Corner bar and The Library - cocktail bar all within a 100m.

The crowd was predominately Thai twenty-somethings, no foreigners, there's inside or outside seating options, the bar and live music are inside. Music was good but all Thai, making use of the roving local musicians/students who rotate doing one hour sets at the various music venues across town. Usual selection of Thai beers with Leo on tap, plus Hoegarden draft original and rosie. Food offerings include the Thai staples, plus a selection of ribs and meats from the grill. Food and drink all very reasonably priced, an evening for two with several large Singh, cocktails and a portion of ribs was under Bht1000.

• 2 months later...

I see that A Little Dim Sum (7.001319, 100.472152) has now closed permanently; coronavirus was the final straw. Also Quigley's Irish Bar & Restaurant (7.001475, 100.472079) has shut down, though end last year rather a casualty of the virus.

Since restaurants have been allowed to reopen I can confirm the following favourites are open again:

Billin Cafe & Bistro - (Phone: 0876898343) (7.011910, 100.478582)
De Van Cuisine - (Phone: 074-351438) (7.007237, 100.475424)

The Nine Bistro - (Phone: 0998086719) (6.998335, 100.476178)

Hashi Japanese Restaurant - (Phone: 074-221988) (7.005342, 100.486309)

• 3 weeks later...

Krua Reuan Thai (Phone: 0896537450) (6.991781, 100.486038)
Small Thai restaurant in a teak house tucked away on Soi 23 Kanjanavanit beside the Crystal Hotel, almost opposite Central Festival. I'd seen good reviews so thought we'd give it a try, the restaurant is small so we booked a table. The restaurant is in a small room at the front of Thai style Teak house, there are just three normal sit down tables, plus two on a raise dais for those happy sitting on floor cushions; we had a conventional table. Nice cosy atmosphere, with dark wood panelled walls and plenty of Thai bric-a-brac as decoration. The menu is quite large, and in both Thai and English, quite a few dishes were unfamiliar to me, but old fashioned Central Thailand style food with no Southern influence, so not too spicy. Service was good and the food nicely presented, portion size wasn't huge, but not small either. All very tasty, but the kids seemed to enjoy it more than I did, wife and I both found the food a little sweet. Note that the restaurant is dry, no alcohol. We'll probably return, it would be a place we might take visitors, but I prefer the food at the Nine Bistro. Not particularly expensive, a meal for four came to Bht1,600 that was for six dishes plus dessert.

• 7 months later...

I thought Stocky had mentioned this in the past, but I couldn’t find the post to quote.

Having lived in HY for 10 years, but never visited Basil we went a year ago before lockdown. The food was nice, we went late and were the last of the customers for the Sunday evening. 

A year on we returned - I was chuckling to myself on the journey as stockys description of the “faulty tower” service.

We arrived a little before our booking, and ordered promptly, a magharita pizza, pasta and a signature dish - duck with orange sauce. The place was looking busy, most tables served and everyone eating. Really promising.

The pizza came promptly, I thought the other pizzas were a little underdone, but ours came as requested.

After 45 mins after placing the order, the pasta dish arrived and and 15 mins later my duck arrived. It was hard to tell what the holdup was, there were no new tables since we arrived and I only saw one table being served in the hour.

The duck was pleasant, a little bland, the wife said the pasta was great. 

I don’t want to give a bad review, but it was all a bit of a disappointing experience - there are about 6 front of house staff but only one seems to be working the tables.They did at least come to me and explain that  my food would be 5 mins, I wasn’t worried.

We had a pot of oregano plonked on the table halfway through the pizza, but what Italian restaurant doesn’t offer freshly ground pepper with your pasta? The place is looking so tired, a huge great bar area filled with empty wine bottles and spirit boxes, peeling faux brick print wall paper, and random saucepans hanging on the wall alongside the collection of non-functional air con units.

I really wish they would catch a wake up because I’m sure it was great place, and it still is Ok, not overly priced, fair ingredients, the service wasn’t so bad, just a little faulty towers.

It was in the Hat Yai Airport 'New Normal' thread, which went a little off topic.

We'll probably go back again, we eat out once a week and rotate around our favourite Thai, Japanese and Western restaurants, but it's good to venture out and check how other restaurants are doing. I don't mind a little Fawlty Towers so long as the food is rewarding, but The Basil unfortunately seems to be at a tipping point.

Of the western offerings in Hat Yai I rate the De Van Cuisine (7.007237, 100.475424) and Billin Bistro (7.011910, 100.478582) as the top two, they're also nearer to us, The Basil is longer trek against traffic. That said we ventured out and revisited Alive (6.997670, 100.511123) the other weekend, much better experience without the coach loads of Malaysian tourists, still busy, but the service was much improved. The children also enjoy the Alive, it's exciting with the platforms in the trees, swings and hammocks. 

Edited by Stocky

Holy Grail Bar & Bistro (Phone: 0618879915) (7.016935, 100.481727)
A terracotta coloured restaurant and bar tucked away on Soi Chum Uthit 2 just off Thanon Sam Sip Met.

Billed on its Facebook page as being a "European style secret bar hidden in Hat Yai. Chic cocktail zone, perfect, delicious, creative snack, unique taste food. Exclusive atmosphere with elegant decoration. Taste the ultimate dishes while enjoying private luxurious environment. Affordable luxury fine cuisine."

All rather a lot to live up to, though the photos of the food and clips of food preparation and serving all suggested a veritable gourmet treat. Unfortunately when we called to book, the upstairs restaurant was fully booked, so we had to make do with a table in the far from exclusive atmosphere of the courtyard. Menu came on a clipboard rather than any leather bound affair one might expect from Hat Yai's 'Holy Grail of Fine Dining'. Both European and Thai food options are available, plus an extensive cocktail list. Thai options are fairly standard, European menu isn't extensive but covers a wide variety of tastes from salads, to burgers, pasta, fish and meat with the top end items being a lobster tagliatelle and a wagyu beef tournedos Rossini

We ordered a mix of Thai and European dishes, though nothing too extravagant. Service was attentive and orderly (starters followed by mains) and the food was indeed very good, both visually appealing and extremely tasty. A meal for four with drinks came to just under Bht2,000.

Maybe next time we'll book earlier and secure a table inside the posh bit of the restaurant and push the boat out a little. Certainly we'll be back, I'm curious to find this 'holy grail'.

Edited by Stocky

• 11 months later...

The Second, Bar & Bistro (Phone: 0986650905) (6.999637, 100.470932)
Modern looking building on Nipatuthit 2 Rd almost opposite the Chao Por Suea Chinese Temple. Post industrial instagramable chic I guess you might call it, but a pleasant modern interior with a very stylish exterior.

Food is Italianish in style, with several pasta dishes as well as fish and meat. Service was attentive, though a they didn't get the order exactly right, service was prompt, food was well presented and generally tasty. We had a mix of starters and mains I can't say I was wowed, they certainly could have dialed up the seasoning, especially the chicken roulade which was a serious disappointment. A meal for five, with three starters and five main courses came to Bht2,500 with drinks.

Will go again only to see if the chef was having an off night, otherwise the De Van Cuisine, Billin Bistro and Basil do things better. 

This is one of several new restaurants I've spotted around town, though most are east of Thanon Sam Sip Met, the town centre remains largely dead at night.

The pandemic has killed off Samila Seafood, Wine Society, and The Cottage, whilst the Nine Bistro has closed the restaurant in town (temporarily I hope) and opened  The Nine Grand Bistro Hill & Resort (6.984355, 100.538063) still not tried it as ideally you'd want to spend the night up there to appreciate the sunset and sunrise. De Van Cuisine, Billins, Basil, Kenta, Hashi, Alive, Kan Eng are all open. Plus many new barn like 'open air' restaurants and counter service take away only outlets.

Pubs remain closed, most I suspect permanently, it will be interesting to see what rises from the ashes once the pandemic ends and borders open again. 

Tried another new restaurant last night:

MongMoon Rooftop Bar & Bistro (Phone: 0621064025) (7.007496, 100.482932)
On top of Modern Budget Hotel, Rajyindee Soi 7. Roof terrace on the 6th floor with views eastwards to Kho Hong, so you can look (มอง) at the Moon rise. It was a Valentine's promotion night, so the restaurant was full, we stayed with the regular menu; which was another Italianesque hotch-potch. Various pasta dishes, including some spicy ones, pizzas, meats and fish, plus burgers. There's also a big selection of Khao Pad and Woon Sen dishes if you don't want western. Live music from about 8pm. We had a mix of pasta, fish and meat, the service was good considering how busy they were, food was tasty and well presented, so no complaints. Meal for four with drinks came to less than Bht2,000. Will certainly come again.

• 2 months later...

CLAY (Phone: 0828279154) (7.005855, 100.484181)
Small restaurant on Rajyindee Soi 7/1, just off Thumnoovithi on the left side heading out of town. Opened just over a year ago, and Covid closed it not long after, it's managed to survive and has been open again for a while but this was our first visit. It's a small cozy restaurant with about nine tables, the kitchen is viewable behind a large glass window, overall a pleasant atmosphere. Menu is modern western with the occasional Asian twist, not a huge menu but an interesting mix of meat, fish, pasta, soups and salads. Service was attentive, but the restaurant was full (good job we booked a table), food came in fits & starts though not enough to spoil the evening. We all thoroughly enjoyed the meal, all the dishes were attractively presented and very tasty. If Clay were located on Bangkok's Soi Langsuan you'd be paying per head than we paid for four. Starters, mains and dessert for three adults and a child came to Bht2,600. That included drinks, though no alcohol due to current restrictions. We'll most certainly be back.

A few updates. 

The Holy Grail (7.016935, 100.481727) has closed for good, I didn't think it would survive somehow, a pity. We went back to MongMoon (7.007496, 100.482932) a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't as good second time around, the understudy must have stepped (hopefully just for the night), the sauces in particular were all over reduced. Still haven't returned to The Second (6.999637, 100.470932) wife a kids keep giving the idea a thumbs down.

Driving through town I've noticed increased activity with some of the pubs that have been closed, the change to the rules from May 1st has been a wake up call. The Post Laser (7.004264, 100.471746) has been doing lunchtime take away but I noticed it was open the other evening. The Acoustic (7.007282, 100.484838), which was raided by the police early in the lockdown for serving alcohol, has opened again. Eighteen Nineteen (6.998639, 100.484404) on Klong Rien 2 is also open in the evenings, as are a several other restaurant/bars along that strip.

The central area of town around Lee Gardens Plaza, the main hub for Malaysian tourists, remains largely dead, though I noted a couple of massage shops have reopened. The evening food stalls have yet to return, no doubt they will when the tourists do. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 2:03 AM, Rhys said:

Any recommendation in Nakhon Si Thammarat

Do as I do, keep my eyes open for anything new around town, see what's there on Google Maps, Hat Yai also has a couple of online news sites that do restaurant reviews. Then pick one and go try. Write up your experiences here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Meats and Beans (Phone: 0888759555) (7.007463, 100.48286)
Airy double height new build restaurant at 35 Soi 7 Rajyindee Road, nearby the MongMoon. Opened 2 years ago but closed for Covid not long after except for take away, now back in business. The name reflects the owner's passion for good coffee and meat. The restaurant has indoors and outdoor sections, with a mix of sit up tables and chairs, or couches and coffee tables, atmosphere was pleasant, decor post industrial chic with large pot plants.

I can't speak for the coffee but the steak was the best I've had in Hat Yai and as good as you'll find in most steakhouses in Bangkok. There's little on the menu except meat. Beef is sourced from Black Onyx Angus, Rangers Valley, NSW, Australia, with a choice of ribeye, flat iron, hanger and picanha steaks sold by weight; prices range from Bht220 to 390 per 100g. Apart from Kurobuta pork there's also a selection of burgers and sausages, but nothing for non-carnivores.

We ordered 1 ribeye and 2 flat iron steaks plus a few sides, though when the steaks arrived they came with a creamy mash and a green salad. The service was good, plenty of information on what steaks were available and the various weights, steaks are pre-cut frozen and vacuum packed so they'll find a steak closest to the weight you ask for, they actually brought the packaged steaks to the table to confirm the order, weight is marked on the pack.

The meal was excellent, the steaks were cooked as requested, the meat was flavourful, juicy and tender, couldn't have been better. For drinks, apart from coffee, there's a selection of bottled beers and draught Singha available. I noticed someone drinking wine but I didn't see a wine list. Total cost for 3 steaks, sides and drinks was Bht3,445 not cheap but not expensive for what we had. Overall an enjoyable experience so we'll be back.

• 1 month later...

mi.rin.da (No phone number) ( 7.004160, 100.487212)

They closed the old location during Covid and reopened at a much bigger venue just off Thumnoonvithi, 2nd right after The Hashi if heading out of town. A large barn like building open on all sides, plenty of seating both under cover and out doors, and a huge carpark at the back. Same format as before, a music bar restaurant; Thai BBQ with a wide variety of beers and cocktails. Popular with trendy young Thais, lots of students as we're at that end of town. Visited a couple of times now, food is good and the service is quick, Thai music with local musicians (students I suspect) performing one hour sets. Meal for four with alcohol came to under Bht2000, so not an expensive night out.

• 1 month later...

Spent the long weekend in Songkhla Town. Two restaurants were worth a mention, both in the old town area where we stayed.

Lyn's The Shanghai Cafe (Phone: 0832439977) (7.196540, 100.589431)
In the heart of the old town on Nakhonnai Street. Coffee shop, cafe restaurant and bar, with options to eat in or out in the courtyard. An impressive and comprehensive menu, combining both Thai and European favourites together with many vegetarian options and a good desserts menu too. Service was attentive and the food excellent, no complaints. There were six of us ordering a mix of Thai and Western mains, total cost including desserts, fancy smoothies and frappes, plus a couple of beers was under Bht2,000.

Cafe Der See Nakornnok (Phone: 074898595) (7.197094, 100.588834)
On Nakornnok Street, the one nearest the lake in the old town, opposite the Nakhon Nai Museum. Coffee and cake shop at the front, Thai restaurant at the back with a deck area out onto Lake Songkhla, a pleasant spot to watch the sunset. Fairly standard Thai menu with an emphasis on the local seafood, plus a handful of European dishes, desserts offer cakes, ice creams and sundaes. We had a mix of Thai dishes fish, squid, soft crab, mussels, a tom yam and a papaya salad, plus desserts, smoothies and beers. Total for six was around Bht1,500. Service was good, they were busy but still managed to get the food out in an orderly and timely fashion. Food was excellent, portions not huge but a reasonable size, so no one went hungry. Nice restaurant with a calming relaxed atmosphere.   

Edited by Stocky

• 2 weeks later...

The current craze in Hat Yai is for Izakaya style bars, visited a couple so far, and have been recommended another four.

Meats & Beers (Phone: 0896597230) (7.01132, 100.476655)
Hard to find sister restaurant to Meats & Beans, tucked away at 54 Juti Uthit 4 Rd. Small izakaya in a shop house, just six tables. Interesting selection of beers including a potent Japanese rice beer. Steak offerings are as good as Meats & Beans, the wagyu donburi was excellent as were the pork belly and pickled salmon. Service was good, but the place was fairly empty so atmosphere was a bit lacking. Meal for two with beers was under Bht2000.

Musashi (No phone number) (7.004966, 100.487304)
On Thammanoonvithi Road right hand side leaving town, the area called Makinta Market pre Covid now occupied by this bar with the Mi.rin.da just behind. Sprawling bar with outside courtyard tables, and under cover of a big shed roof. Like many post Covid openings the 'inside' area is actually open on three sides so well ventilated. Asahi on draft plus a selection of standard Thai beers by the bottle. Big menu, scan the QR code, options for cook at the table sets, or small plates; meat on a stick, seafood, sushi and sashimi. Food was good, service was quick so no complaints. Pleasant atmosphere with live music. Evening for two was around Bht1000.

The four we've yet to try are:

Hattoyai Izakaya (Phone: 0832392566) (7.00626, 100.486915)

Koeda Izakaya & Ramen (Phone: 0612034181) (7.020653, 100.482395)

Porn Bar & Izakaya (Phone: 0875643833) (7.004511, 100.473746)
This is just down the road from the West Side, it also sells ramen.

What The Fish! (Phone: 0905921186) (6.996806, 100.502715)
Firmly in student land, in Koh Hong district near Prince Songkhla University.

• 3 months later...

Hattoyai Izakaya (Phone: 0971935282) (7.00626, 100.486915)
On Krajang Uthit Road, a single storey Japanese style wooden building with a courtyard. Options for indoor, outdoor seating or private rooms. We opted to sit inside where there was live music. It was a Sunday evening so not very busy and quite quiet, music was Thai popular with singer accompanied by acoustic guitar, so pleasantly unobtrusive.

Menu is fairly extensive, with options for cook at the table style or small plates, notable no pork in this restaurant. Standard Izakaya fare plus some spicy Thai small plate options like papaya salads. We had a selection of sashimi, beef & chicken Teriyaki and some gyoza. Service was attentive and prompt, food was good, we thought generally better than other Izakaya we've tried. The weird purple lighting isn't great as it makes it hard to read the menu or see your food.

Plenty of drink options, selection of Japanese beers with Asahi on draft, Hoegardens and Thai beers also available, plus Sake and Japanese whisky. Overall a pleasant evening, cost for 3 people was under Bht2,000.

• 2 months later...

Samila Jer Seafood Hat Yai (Phone: 0987797577) (7.009011, 100.473551)

On Sangsri Soi 2, just off Supasarnrangsan Road, turning opposite The Bed Hotel, with second entrance on Sangsri Soi 4. The old Samila Seafood closed during COVID, the restaurant has reopened with new owners, though the kitchen and restaurant staff are much the same. Renamed Jer Seafood the format is the same, large shed like building, fish tanks at front of shop. The old formica tables and plastic chairs have been replaced with large round tables with a built in lazy Susan, and thankfully some study wooden chairs. The menu hasn't changed much, seafood and more seafood, all very fresh, you can pick your fish from the tank. Service is quick, food is excellent. One complaint is the menu lacks prices for everything, notably the beers aren't priced. Pays to ask, I can imagine prices might rise and fall depending on the customer. Meal for four adults and two children, seven dishes including a whole fish, crab and two prawn dishes, beers and desserts was a fraction over Bht2,000.

Edited by Stocky

• 1 month later...

We re-visited to The Basil last night (Phone: 074-450-0009) (7.000930, 100.492144) first visit since Covid, glad to see it's still going strong. The food was excellent, and the service much improved and far better organised; much more The Basil, much less Basil Fawlty. Good value, three course meal for three (no alcohol as Vesak Day) came to Bht2,137.

Edited by Stocky

On 2/22/2021 at 9:16 PM, recom273 said:

The place is looking so tired, a huge great bar area filled with empty wine bottles and spirit boxes, peeling faux brick print wall paper, and random saucepans hanging on the wall alongside the collection of non-functional air con units.

They've got rid of the huge great bar area, they've replaced the non-functional air con units but the peeling faux brick print wall paper and random saucepans remain, all part of the quirky look of the place. They've changed the tables, or maybe just got rid of the table cloths, I suspect the latter - allows for better cleaning, likely a Covid hangover.