Thai editorial: Corrupt journalists compromise credibility of media

webfact

EDITORIAL
Corrupt journalists compromise credibility of media

The Nation

A recent report about a conglomerate's attempts to bribe some journalists is a wake-up call for reforms in the media as well

BANGKOK:-- A new controversy involving the news media has emerged, with allegations that journalists were bribed by a food conglomerate in exchange for favourable news coverage.

The Thailand Information Centre for Civil Rights and Investigative Journalism (TCIJ) published on its website a purported internal report by the company in question. It details various forms of public criticism the firm faced and the ways in which it was watered down - or actually quashed - through negotiations with the critics' superiors and webmasters. On occasion these contacts agreed to purge the critical comments or postings altogether. The report listed media organisations and individual journalists in the radio, television and print media who were on the firm's "monthly payroll". TCIJ director Suchada Jakpisut said she considers such practice "a kind of corruption".

The TCIJ did not name the company involved, but Charoen Pokphand Foods (CPF) subsequently issued a statement admitting that the report in question was its internally circulated document. It stressed, however, that the content had been taken out of context. It is normal for corporate public-relations divisions to promote the firm via advertising in the news media, CPF said. Senior vice president Punninee Nanthapanich acknowledged that the firm also sponsors activities initiated by the media, such as golfing events and seminars. But "We've never paid to 'buy the media' in order to conceal or distort information," she insisted.

The National Press Council of Thailand and the News Broadcasting Council of Thailand on Monday set up an independent panel to investigate the allegations. In a joint statement, the two media groups expressed concern that the credibility of journalism and media outlets was at stake. The Economic Reporters Association on Tuesday agreed that the controversy could have an adverse impact on news media.

Due to the media's perceived credibility and ability to shape public opinion and taste, its understandable that private firms and politicians seek to befriend them, in the hope that journalists and media executives will help them when needed. In return, politicians and businesses have news stories, influence and other benefits of their own to offer. Good relations with businesspeople have become essential when it comes to securing advertising revenue.

However, for some politicians and businesses, ordinary ties with media people are not enough. They want closer ties by which they can favourably influence the journalists. This has led to attempts to "buy" the targeted media people, most of whom are senior journalists who can make news decisions in a way that serves the interest of those who pay.

It's widely believed that some news media outlets and particular journalists are partly to blame for Thailand's precarious political situation. There were allegations of politicians "buying support" from media organisations through handsome advertising deals and from journalists through regular payments or other benefits, such as all-expenses-paid overseas trips. The investigation into this latest case should be conducted in a transparent manner to ensure honest findings. Given that National Anti-Corruption Commission member Klanarong Chantik will lead the investigative panel, it appears guaranteed there will be no attempt to cover up misdeeds. However, there should be no attempt to "save the face" of anyone involved, either, whether it is the journalists accused of having been paid regularly by a business or the media outlets involved. The public must know the full truth.

There have been calls for reform in many areas of society, including politics, commerce, social affairs and the justice system. While the focus might be on political reform, the news media should be another sector where changes are carried out for the better. The media should be subject to reform in order to bolster its stature and credibility in the eyes of the public.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Corrupt-journalists-compromise-credibility-of-medi-30238660.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-17

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

a censored media has zero credibility

Lmao - the Thai media in general have zero credibility - too worried about face to actually dig deep to expose the corruptions that hides everywhere, in plain site.

Thai news is general the bottom feeder of the trade. They are clearly "on the payroll." Any high school teen could recognize a truthful objective effort. It should be no surprise that the Thai press is now exposed as "on the take." TV posters and foreign press have recognized this long ago.

• Like 1

Thai news is general the bottom feeder of the trade. They are clearly "on the payroll." Any high school teen could recognize a truthful objective effort. It should be no surprise that the Thai press is now exposed as "on the take." TV posters and foreign press have recognized this long ago.

Is it all just a matter of being on the take?

Some of the zero credibility also comes from political persuasion, or perhaps I am being naive to think otherwise. Case in point is one of the Nation's writers who were hauled off by the Junta for a week’s "learning to be family" programing. The total bias of "Shinawatra's are angels and totally 100% democratic and it is everyone else that is the devil" reporting in all items by the said writer was that obvious....ummmh perhaps he was on the Thaksin take but then surely the Nation would have better standards of their writers that one would have to assume it was political persuasion.

Like watching Fox news.

A recent report about a conglomerate's attempts to bribe some journalists is a wake-up call for reforms in the media as well

and while you're at it:

a course or two on investigative journalism (fundamentals only), story writing in general, the function of a headline, the importance of questions, relevance of photographs...

Edited by klauskunkel

Thailand is no different from most nations in having a corrupt Press. The mass media across the world is owned by vast conglomerates who are there primarily to service the interests of their bosses and the politicians who do their bidding.

In the United States, which claims to be the world's most advanced democracy, the CIA has an amazingly sophisticated set-up to ensure the gullible public swallows the establishment view of events. Try this link for a real eye-opener:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/dont-be-fooled-by-mainstream-media-journalists-independent-experts-and-the-cia/5361986

• Like 1

Thailand is no different from most nations in having a corrupt Press. The mass media across the world is owned by vast conglomerates who are there primarily to service the interests of their bosses and the politicians who do their bidding.

In the United States, which claims to be the world's most advanced democracy, the CIA has an amazingly sophisticated set-up to ensure the gullible public swallows the establishment view of events. Try this link for a real eye-opener:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/dont-be-fooled-by-mainstream-media-journalists-independent-experts-and-the-cia/5361986

You might be able to back up what you say, but not with a one-source, fruitcake conspiracy website like Globalresearch.ca that makes Bangkok's The Nation look like the greatest shining paragon of journalistic excellence since the late Sukhothai era. I urge you to do some more reading on this subject, but next time with credible sources.

• Like 1

The upshot of Noam Chomsky's research and writings on the media in the west is basically that it is a step beyond just corrupt. General Electric owns a CBS or NBC (I forget which) as do other major corporate interests who own newspaper/magazine/book publishing empires. Much of the media these days directly serves global corporate oil, banking interests, does it not? Thai newspapers and media also draw on those same global corporate propaganda sources, if perhaps less so.

• Like 1

The upshot of Noam Chomsky's research and writings on the media in the west {snip} {snip}...

... is that the media was paid, bought off or suborned by the CIA to make up stories about atrocities in Cambodia because there was no killing fields, no Pol Pot attempt to kill people and no mass murders in Cambodia.

That was the upshot.

You be the judge of the credibility.

The fact the NottheNation exists and seems to be equally as real as the nation says it all.

I am not sure we need journalists in Thailand. The Nation or Bangkok Post might as well just become YouTube online TV for politicians and celebs to say whatever they like.

They really don't know how to ask a probing question.

The fact the NottheNation exists and seems to be equally as real as the nation says it all.

I am not sure we need journalists in Thailand. The Nation or Bangkok Post might as well just become YouTube online TV for politicians and celebs to say whatever they like.

Where "we" refers to you and what others who are backing you as their spokesman? And as a follow-up how do we know they are backing you, because you say so?

Was that a probing question?

I'm only trying to get factual information, because actually I feel sorry for you, never having seen satire until you got to Thailand. Just out of curiosity, and not really probing, but what unfortunate, backward, humourless country do you come from that has no mockery of the news media whatsoever?

Where "we" refers to you and what others who are backing you as their spokesman? And as a follow-up how do we know they are backing you, because you say so?

Was that a probing question?

I'm only trying to get factual information, because actually I feel sorry for you, never having seen satire until you got to Thailand. Just out of curiosity, and not really probing, but what unfortunate, backward, humourless country do you come from that has no mockery of the news media whatsoever?

Notthenation is hilarious. I think you are misunderstanding my satire.

What really is the point of the media in Thailand if a they do is parrot the statements of the pooyai. No questions, no checking. Just verbatim repetition.

Then even worse, they spend an hour in the morning reading the paper to you on the TV. As I said, most papers might as well become YouTube type channels where pooyais get free access to speak their side of it unfettered.

If that is what is happening, "we" don't need journal.

Edited by Thai at Heart

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Like watching Fox news.

And the other side is completely unbiased? News has always been unbiased but in the past it was on the editorial page. That is, unfortunately, no longer the case.

A country where even the reporters (except the openly political news papers) are corrupt, is a country which has reached the absolute bottom of the any corrupt societies.

The country is now rotten to the core.

You can always trust certain papers like the BK post to remain objective and free to report, especially when the Chairman of the Board of Directors, one M.R Pridiyathorn Devakula is also economic adviser to the NCPO. Definitely no possibility of conflict or influence in what is being reported there. One would wonder why one of the best columnists on the BK post Voranai who seemed to be able to critically think and question things has now been given the boot..............

I dont think they have that much credibility to protect!

You can always trust certain papers like the BK post to remain objective and free to report, especially when the Chairman of the Board of Directors, one M.R Pridiyathorn Devakula is also economic adviser to the NCPO. Definitely no possibility of conflict or influence in what is being reported there. One would wonder why one of the best columnists on the BK post Voranai who seemed to be able to critically think and question things has now been given the boot..............

Voranai was NOT "given the boot". On the contrary, he left to become editor of a new magazine. And this was reported in the Bangkok Post, easy to confirm, reported elsewhere, common knowledge in many groups, etc.

I thought Thai Visa banned rumour-mongering?

Voranai was NOT "given the boot". On the contrary, he left to become editor of a new magazine. And this was reported in the Bangkok Post, easy to confirm, reported elsewhere, common knowledge in many groups, etc.

I thought Thai Visa banned rumour-mongering?

Voranai described it on his twitter as a 'corporate decision'. He had been editor of the other magazine at least since the beginning of the year, and it clearly was not his decision to finish at the BP. I dont see how being an editor of another magazine prevents him publishing his periodical articles in the BP, unless of course he was upsetting his bosses bosses with his openness and honesty and willingness to raise topics which are taboo.

I would be very interested for you to link me to the BP report. PM me the article you refer to please.

So the whole article and ensuing TV commentors is based on "a purported internal report by the company in question." This seems to be the classic "I saw it on the internet so it must be true."

I can get more credible content reading the comics.

"It's widely believed that some news media outlets and particular journalists are partly to blame for Thailand's precarious political situation." That's calling the kettle black by the Nation. Wasn't that the big falling out with Mr T and the Nation when he pulled Government advertising money away from the Nation?

Any way the Nation lives in a big glass house.......if any one has knowledge of this happening, the boys/girls at the Nation would know all about it.clap2.gifcheesy.gif