How many people do you know in Phuket who are stuffed due to visa situation?

KarenBravo

NO country, especially a developing one wants foreigners that are not contributing taxes. Supporting prostitutes does not count as that income is not taxed, nor is the pimp's collecting that bar-fine.

There seems to be a lot of self entitlement issues coming to light under this latest crackdown- one has a right to spend money here. Well no, you don't. Seems to be all based in having access to sex, frankly. Does Thailand really want to be global hub for sexpats, " horny young guys"? (usually not so young...) Maybe not any longer.

As I have played by the rules since day one, always having a B visa, always paying correct taxes, I have grown to resent those who didn't and got away with it year after year. They have enabled and benefited from this system of ignoring laws and rules. I cannot see how they can now expect sympathy.

I wish they would crackdown on the Education " study" visa holders who are working P/T teaching English at sub standard wages-they are supposed to be studying, not teaching. Not only do they not pay taxes but spend as little as possible. Genuine, diploma'd accredited teachers face a diminished job market and less attractive benefits because of them.

IMO The rest of us face myriad petty scams like charging for residency certificates because these visa cheats are too afraid to stand for their rights.

Why bring sex into it? Sex tourists are still tourists so won't be affected. What makes you think barfines aren't taxed?

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many people who live here, why should I pay income tax if I don't work here?

Like everyone else, I pay VAT on everything that I buy.

You also pay sales tax on vehicles, bikes etc, stamp duty on property, and tax on bank account interest if you have one as most retirees do

However any monied person can get a investor visa, renews every year for 10 mil baht about 330,000 $ in a Thai bank that even draws interest. You get that back too, AND can work on it. Not sure why anyone would consider the Elite car which is more expensive and not reliable , as it's been cancelled before.

Do you have link to this this "investor visa" for only 10 million baht? I've heard of the one that requires either 30 or 40 million ( subject to approval by authorities), but haven't heard nor known about the 10 million "investor visa". How long is it good for, and this gives you a work permit does it?

So right now like oil rig workers who very obviously do not work in Thailand illegally and also do not reside here permanently are at risk of not being admitted, it is up to the individual immigration officer.

The purpose of the present 'crackdown' is very clear. Oilworkers will not be affected, and I really don't understand why they keep popping up. Looks to me that people who are hesitant about this keep on hammering about this without justification.

The only way oil workers could be affected is if they are on longer than 1 month rotation, are younger than 50 and don't have Thai family. That would mean visa exempt is not an option for them and they can not apply for a visa extension based on marriage or retirement.

A lot of the off shore workers I know are on 6 week rotations so yes they will be affected hence all the questions.

So right now like oil rig workers who very obviously do not work in Thailand illegally and also do not reside here permanently are at risk of not being admitted, it is up to the individual immigration officer.

The purpose of the present 'crackdown' is very clear. Oilworkers will not be affected, and I really don't understand why they keep popping up. Looks to me that people who are hesitant about this keep on hammering about this without justification.

The only way oil workers could be affected is if they are on longer than 1 month rotation, are younger than 50 and don't have Thai family. That would mean visa exempt is not an option for them and they can not apply for a visa extension based on marriage or retirement.

A lot of the off shore workers I know are on 6 week rotations so yes they will be affected hence all the questions.

And are those lots younger than 50 and not married or have a family here?

As I read it, the current application of visa laws and their interpretation are meant to prevent non-Thais from using the visa system to live here full time, including working here without a WP. Those working offshore elsewhere should only need proof of their employment location to satisfy any Immigration Officer. It's also likely that an offshore employed individual would have another countries WP in their passport (I know that I used to), again which demonstrates non-Thai employment.

• Like 2

And are those lots younger than 50 and not married or have a family here?

It's not just the offshore guys.

A lot of guys in the mines in Western Australia are under 50 and single. They chose to live on Phuket, rather than Perth, for their rotation.

I think many of them will be effected by this.

These guys are definately big spenders.

Edited by NamKangMan

As I read it, the current application of visa laws and their interpretation are meant to prevent non-Thais from using the visa system to live here full time, including working here without a WP. Those working offshore elsewhere should only need proof of their employment location to satisfy any Immigration Officer. It's also likely that an offshore employed individual would have another countries WP in their passport (I know that I used to), again which demonstrates non-Thai employment.

So, if you would have to prove you have a job in another country, or a work permit from another country, or income from another country, why not just create a visa class for these people and make a few quid out of them as well?

They could call it the "Work Abroad Live Thailand" (WALT) visa. 20,000 baht for multi-entry 12 month visa.

Of course, proof of income, employment etc etc needed for the application. They could also put a restriction on the visa that they must leave the country every 60 or 90 days, to create no benefit over coming in on a free 30 day visa exemption stamp, getting a regular 60 day tourist visa.

There is a huge amount of self funded, or offshore/onshore, or contract workers, or 6 months work in there home country and 6 months holiday in Thailand etc etc under 50 years of age market, that Thailand is missing out making a legitimate visa quid from, just to catch up with a very small percentage who work illegaly here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Like many people who live here, why should I pay income tax if I don't work here?

Well I would think that you have to pay for any service the government provides no matter where you live. If you don't work here then you don't have to pay income tax? Do you?

But to stay here you need a visa that either allows you to work here and pay tax or if over 50 a visa that allows you to declare your income up to the minimum requirement so you can bring that money into the country and spend it.

If you have a job outside the Kingdom but wish to reside here continuously without contributing to services that the government provides (not matter what you think of them) you , apparently, no longer can.

The 7% that you pay on your purchases, assuming you don't shop and mom and pop shops that don't charge VAT!, is insufficient to contribute to the services you use.

Where in the world can you reside without contributing locally, but while still working or drawing money from overseas? I suspect not many.

So, if you would have to prove you have a job in another country, or a work permit from another country, or income from another country, why not just create a visa class for these people and make a few quid out of them as well?

They could call it the "Work Abroad Live Thailand" (WALT) visa. 20,000 baht for multi-entry 12 month visa.

Of course, proof of income, employment etc etc needed for the application. They could also put a restriction on the visa that they must leave the country every 60 or 90 days, to create no benefit over coming in on a free 30 day visa exemption stamp, getting a regular 60 day tourist visa.

There is a huge amount of self funded, or offshore/onshore, or contract workers, or 6 months work in there home country and 6 months holiday in Thailand etc etc under 50 years of age market, that Thailand is missing out making a legitimate visa quid from, just to catch up with a very small percentage who work illegaly here.

I agree entirely but to keep the above people on par with those who live and work here the recipients of a "Work Abroad Live Thailand" (WALT) visa should pay tax on the minimum 50,000 baht a month, plus whatever the fees are for visa extension and work permit renewal. So if we round all that up let's just call it 20,000 baht a month for a WALT visa, not 20,000 a year, and be done with it. But of course WALT visa holders still cannot work here and if found working existing laws apply!

OR perhaps Thailand could emulate Malaysia's M2H visa plan?

Edited by VocalNeal

Well I would think that you have to pay for any service the government provides no matter where you live. If you don't work here then you don't have to pay income tax? Do you?

But to stay here you need a visa that either allows you to work here and pay tax or if over 50 a visa that allows you to declare your income up to the minimum requirement so you can bring that money into the country and spend it.

If you have a job outside the Kingdom but wish to reside here continuously without contributing to services that the government provides (not matter what you think of them) you , apparently, no longer can.

The 7% that you pay on your purchases, assuming you don't shop and mom and pop shops that don't charge VAT!, is insufficient to contribute to the services you use.

Where in the world can you reside without contributing locally, but while still working or drawing money from overseas? I suspect not many.

I agree entirely but to keep the above people on par with those who live and work here the recipients of a "Work Abroad Live Thailand" (WALT) visa should pay tax on the minimum 50,000 baht a month, plus whatever the fees are for visa extension and work permit renewal. So if we round all that up let's just call it 20,000 baht a month for a WALT visa, not 20,000 a year, and be done with it. But of course WALT visa holders still cannot work here and if found working existing laws apply!

I don't work here, so you will have to help me out.

What is the tax on earning 50,000 baht a month in Thailand?

Why wouldn't a hypothetical "WALT visa" holder pay 12 x "X income tax" for the year, and some visa fees. Why would they pay 50,000 baht x 12 = 600,000 baht.

They do not earn here, so why should they pay income tax?

I agree they should pay a visa fee, or a form of contribution to fund infastructure they are using, but why should they pay the equivalent of income tax, especially when they are outside of Thailand quite a lot.

Also, I don't understand this part of your post, "plus whatever the fees are for visa extension and work permit renewal" - there is no work permit to purchase.

These people work abroad, but on their time off, they holiday/live in Thailand. They work for a foreign entity, not a Thai Company, therefore, no work permit needed for Thailand.

Yes, the Malaysia My 2nd Home scheme has some good ideas, and I predict will become popular in the future, and possibly a model other

South East Asia countries may follow.

Edited by NamKangMan

<snip>

I can answer that - about 1,500 baht/month give or take a few baht. I speak with personal experience of my tax bill.

Well, that's why I thought around 20,000 baht a fair price for a hypothetical "WALT visa."

18,000 baht (comparable to income tax - thus contributing to infastructure) and 2000 baht for a visa fee.

Therefore, an individual meeting certain requirements, can obtain a 12 month multi-entry visa, with restrictions they must leave Thailand every 60 or 90 days, still contributes to Thai society, yet can enter and depart as they please.

It would be a good earner for Thailand, and such monies made could be put into enforcement of the few percent that would use this visa to work illegally here.

Edited by NamKangMan

KB,

Whats best for him?

Remain here on overstay and hopefully under the radar?

Or go home and hope this thing blows over with future elections in a year?

He will probably go home. He's in his late fifties with no job skills, so, chances of him coming back are slim. Even if he does come back, it can only be temporary as he doesn't have enough money to go the retirement visa route.

I hope he doesn't try to overstay. I think he has more sense than that.

Business failed, common law wife left. Oldest story in the book.

A real shame as he's a thoroughly decent bloke.

how does one get to 50 with no skills?

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay past that age with nooooooooooooo skills but can build you a V8 to scare most to death....laugh.png

KB,

Whats best for him?

Remain here on overstay and hopefully under the radar?

Or go home and hope this thing blows over with future elections in a year?

He will probably go home. He's in his late fifties with no job skills, so, chances of him coming back are slim. Even if he does come back, it can only be temporary as he doesn't have enough money to go the retirement visa route.

I hope he doesn't try to overstay. I think he has more sense than that.

Business failed, common law wife left. Oldest story in the book.

A real shame as he's a thoroughly decent bloke.

how does one get to 50 with no skills?

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaay past that age with nooooooooooooo skills but can build you a V8 to scare most to death....laugh.png

So, you could get a job in the automotive or spare parts industry. Possibly even an engine reconditioning machine shop.

The real question is, how does one reach late 50's with no asset base behind them?

Just an idea,

With the volunteers here on this forum that work within immigration , would it be a fair comment to offer a meeting between them that have a little insight to the goings on to meet up with other TV members and discuss the issues .

For sure there are people that post here facing a dilemma and others that actually may be able to help.

Im pretty certain it would be helpfull to all that are in this position , and hey could get a few members together that are not just keyboard warriors.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

Assets are waaaaaaaaaaay different to skills mon ami.....smile.png

Point is, in his late 50's, one would think there should be something to show for a working life.

Now, of course, things happen, and through no fault of his own, he is in the financial position he is in.

Of course, the opposite may apply, and the situation he is in is from his own doing.

Once again, the question is, where are the proceeds from approximately 40 years of working?

I don't see how this thread or the tireless posters in this section of TV help people who are experiencing serious visa issues.

Try to stay on topic

There is actually a seperate forum dedicated to visas etc. It's been riunning hot the last few days.

The title of this thread specifically says, "How many people do you know in Phuket who are stuffed due to visa situation."

Therefore, it makes sense, this thread discusses people on Phuket with "serious visa issues" and not people in Thailand with "serious visa issues."

• Like 1

Just an idea,

With the volunteers here on this forum that work within immigration , would it be a fair comment to offer a meeting between them that have a little insight to the goings on to meet up with other TV members and discuss the issues .

For sure there are people that post here facing a dilemma and others that actually may be able to help.

Im pretty certain it would be helpfull to all that are in this position , and hey could get a few members together that are not just keyboard warriors.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What help are you after? It's out of the volunteers control.

If you are under 50, self funded, single, don't want to go to school, or set up a sham Thai company - you have some issues.

Hey, I'm in that boat as well. I'm facing the same "issues." I'll roll with it.

i understand that others have more commitments here than I do, but no one should have ever planned Thailand was always their's to reside in. Thailand has been volitile for some time now, for many different reasons, and will continue to be so.

i wish everyone the best in whatever work around they may come up with to stay here, but at the end of the day, if you have to go, you have to go, and best get on with finding happiness elsewhere.

• Like 1

I don't work here, so you will have to help me out.

Why wouldn't a hypothetical "WALT visa" holder pay 12 x "X income tax" for the year, and some visa fees. Why would they pay 50,000 baht x 12 = 600,000 baht.

They do not earn here, so why should they pay income tax?

I agree they should pay a visa fee, or a form of contribution to fund infastructure they are using, but why should they pay the equivalent of income tax, especially when they are outside of Thailand quite a lot.

Also, I don't understand this part of your post, "plus whatever the fees are for visa extension and work permit renewal" - there is no work permit to purchase.

These people work abroad, but on their time off, they holiday/live in Thailand. They work for a foreign entity, not a Thai Company, therefore, no work permit needed for Thailand.

Yes, the Malaysia My 2nd Home scheme has some good ideas, and I predict will become popular in the future, and possibly a model other

South East Asia countries may follow.

Because they could be considered a resident for tax purposes. Would they still "reside" in Thailand paying 35% tax? This is my current "contribution".

OB

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<snip>

I can answer that - about 1,500 baht/month give or take a few baht. I speak with personal experience of my tax bill.

Nice. I pay between 15%-20% each month.

@ Oceanbat

What, exactly, are you questioning?

I suggested a visa class that pays income tax rates on 50,000 baht per month, despite the foreigner not gaining Thai residency, plus a little for a visa fee.

I thought that fair. They would still have to pay their own medical etc.

If you do not, I'm happy to hear your reasons.