How many people do you know in Phuket who are stuffed due to visa situation?

KarenBravo

Most of the people I know are on retirement visas, or business visas.

A few offshore workers that use visa exemption stamps are a bit worried, but, I don't think they'll have any problems.

All very well to tell these oil workers to get tourist visas, but, most of the places they fly from don't have a Thai embassy. Also, most counties when getting off a ship or, rig allow you only three days before having to leave.

The visa exempt will give you 37 days with extension which is enough for most people.

I think the people that are most going to be affected here is dive masters and English teachers. Maybe a bunch of Russians in the property sales business. Also, all the illegal guides which is what this enforcement of the rules is designed for.

You mean those teachers working illegally, yes they will be affected adversely, and I agree they should be. . Those working legally, with WP will have B visas to obtain those WP and will not be affected.

Edited by EBlair48

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO country, especially a developing one wants foreigners that are not contributing taxes. Supporting prostitutes does not count as that income is not taxed, nor is the pimp's collecting that bar-fine.

There seems to be a lot of self entitlement issues coming to light under this latest crackdown- one has a right to spend money here. Well no, you don't. Seems to be all based in having access to sex, frankly. Does Thailand really want to be global hub for sexpats, " horny young guys"? (usually not so young...) Maybe not any longer.

As I have played by the rules since day one, always having a B visa, always paying correct taxes, I have grown to resent those who didn't and got away with it year after year. They have enabled and benefited from this system of ignoring laws and rules. I cannot see how they can now expect sympathy.

I wish they would crackdown on the Education " study" visa holders who are working P/T teaching English at sub standard wages-they are supposed to be studying, not teaching. Not only do they not pay taxes but spend as little as possible. Genuine, diploma'd accredited teachers face a diminished job market and less attractive benefits because of them.

IMO The rest of us face myriad petty scams like charging for residency certificates because these visa cheats are too afraid to stand for their rights.

"NO country, especially a developing one wants foreigners that are not contributing taxes." - what taxes should the millions of retirees here pay?

They are not working - they are retired. Are you suggesting "No country" wants them? biggrin.png

I am under the impression retirees ( doubt there are millions however,) must keep monies in a Thai Bank account, and that interest is taxed. Retirees that live under a pension plan, I suppose would be the exception to my rule or does Thailand tax that income?

Shall we expect some changes, soon re the retiree visa?

I pay tax in Thailand on my pension from abroad following Thailand and my home country`s tax treaty, and the 180 days rule from the Thai Revenue department.

Not in the nearest future but oncoming will be a total overhaul of both the visa status for foreigners living here most of the year whatever Visa they are on today which also then will be coordinated with the Revenue department. The ineffective and unproductive system with Police officers (immigration) sitting in each their province and stamping passports for a fee will soon be gone and the legality of a foreigner living here for whatever reason will be decided at the Thai embassy in the foreigners home country.

How did we get back to taxes? Why would I pay income tax on my income in my home country, then transfer money here then pay income tax again? I guess my situation is different than most? If I made any money here I'd be liable to pay income tax in my home country, so I don't, plus I don't have a work permit... Also if I hold over $10,000 in a bank account here, I'd have to report it and pay tax and more accounting fees, so I don't! Good thing I have a good accounting firm. I still don't know anyone that may be affected by the enforcement of the immigration laws here, other than NKM.

KB,

Whats best for him?

Remain here on overstay and hopefully under the radar?

Or go home and hope this thing blows over with future elections in a year?

He will probably go home. He's in his late fifties with no job skills, so, chances of him coming back are slim. Even if he does come back, it can only be temporary as he doesn't have enough money to go the retirement visa route.

I hope he doesn't try to overstay. I think he has more sense than that.

Business failed, common law wife left. Oldest story in the book.

A real shame as he's a thoroughly decent bloke.

you can get a visa if your child goes to school in thailand.

KB,

Whats best for him?

He will probably go home. He's in his late fifties with no job skills, so, chances of him coming back are slim. Even if he does come back, it can only be temporary as he doesn't have enough money to go the retirement visa route.

Unfortunately, the child is still too young to go to school.

He has been to see immigration, but, he hasn't got back to me, yet.

I know his tourist visa expires in a couple of weeks, so, he doesn't have long to get a plan together.

KB,

Whats best for him?

I know his tourist visa expires in a couple of weeks, so, he doesn't have long to get a plan together.

shouldnt be too hard to find an obese/unattractive thai woman who would like to be married/get a possible passport to farangland.. If he really wants to stay that could be arranged in a week for sure.

"I know one guy. Really good bloke that has been here for years using visa exempt stamps and the occasional tourist visa.

He has a daughter here, though he is estranged from his wife. No money, no qualifications, no work prospects.

As soon as his present tourist visa expires, looks like he has to return to his own country. The future is bleak there, too.

Feel very sorry for him."

What does this have to do with the Visa situation??

Sounds more like the poor guy has not got the funds to leave the country to get a proper Visa or re up his entry stamp.(if there is such a thing anymore).

Suppose he did have a job say working offshore in and out of Thailand every 30 days. What visa options are there now since 30 day stamp not valid and immigration officials turning back valid tourist with valid visa's??

Not everybody coming to Thailand is Married to a thai or over 50 with a fat bank account.

What options are there now for horny young guys to come to Thailand drink and spend money 3 or 4 times a year???

do they have a special visa for that???

just wondering....

Maybe this is what they wish to do? To keep out horny young (and old) guys who come for the cheap alcohol and prostitutes? Every country has to progress at some time? Only it is too sudden and drastic so we noticed.

• Like 1

shouldnt be too hard to find an obese/unattractive thai woman who would like to be married/get a possible passport to farangland.. If he really wants to stay that could be arranged in a week for sure.

With the state of the country at present it...shouldnt be too hard to find a non obese/un attractive thai woman who would like to be married/get a possible passport to farangland.. If he really wants to stay that could be arranged in a week for sure. smile.png

With the state of the country at present it...shouldnt be too hard to find a non obese/un attractive thai woman who would like to be married/get a possible passport to farangland.. If he really wants to stay that could be arranged in a week for sure. smile.png

haha yeah but just saying even if the guy is the worst catch of the world there's still a ton of hope. Hell he can have my old sister-in-law

• Like 1

I don't see how this thread or the tireless posters in this section of TV help people who are experiencing serious visa issues.

Try to stay on topic

There is actually a seperate forum dedicated to visas etc. It's been riunning hot the last few days.

The title of this thread specifically says, "How many people do you know in Phuket who are stuffed due to visa situation."

Therefore, it makes sense, this thread discusses people on Phuket with "serious visa issues" and not people in Thailand with "serious visa issues."

But NOT to waste space constantly speculating/sniping at a particular poster's dilemma, to wit, a mixture of sanctimony and schadenfreude.

Maybe this is what they wish to do? To keep out horny young (and old) guys who come for the cheap alcohol and prostitutes? Every country has to progress at some time? Only it is too sudden and drastic so we noticed.

Bingo! Give that man a cigar w00t.gif

How did we get back to taxes? Why would I pay income tax on my income in my home country, then transfer money here then pay income tax again? I guess my situation is different than most? If I made any money here I'd be liable to pay income tax in my home country, so I don't, plus I don't have a work permit... Also if I hold over $10,000 in a bank account here, I'd have to report it and pay tax and more accounting fees, so I don't! Good thing I have a good accounting firm. I still don't know anyone that may be affected by the enforcement of the immigration laws here, other than NKM.

Because I stated no country wants foreigners to reside in it who do not pay taxes , through jobs or interest on monies kept or brought in-one way or the other. Forever tourists do not pay taxes- nor do the workers in prostitution activities they seem to think it is their right to have access to.

Thailand should really offer a MMSH type visa, but wait it does, called investor B, takes 10 million baht approx 300,000 USD in a CD, which is comparable to MMSH You can buy a condo too,but take a risk if it falls below 10 mil value.

Because I stated no country wants foreigners to reside in it who do not pay taxes , through jobs or interest on monies kept or brought in-one way or the other. Forever tourists do not pay taxes- nor do the workers in prostitution activities they seem to think it is their right to have access to.

Thailand should really offer a MMSH type visa, but wait it does, called investor B, takes 10 million baht approx 300,000 USD in a CD, which is comparable to MMSH You can buy a condo too,but take a risk if it falls below 10 mil value.

I follow the law here and in my home country where I have properties. Go ahead and buy a condo here for $300K and hope it doesn't decrease in value. Good luck with that! thumbsup.gif

I follow the law here and in my home country where I have properties. Go ahead and buy a condo here for $300K and hope it doesn't decrease in value. Good luck with that! thumbsup.gif

You asked how taxes were relevant to this conversation. Taxes are the main point of allowing foreigners to reside.

My point is there is a visa for the non working under 50 crowd, but you need to show you have abundant resources, that money has to stay put in the CD the length of the visa.

Non working low budget bar flies are not considered desirable residents, apparently.

I fully agree a condo would be a bad investment. However the 10 mil in a fixed deposit draws interest ( which is taxed ) and can be withdrawn at any time. Sounds reasonable to me.

A caveat to those considering this visa- Make sure you hold onto the blue paper, can't remember the name you get when the deposit is made, and make sure it is filled out completely 'cause you need it to withdraw the funds if you are wiring outside the country. I had a problem withdrawing my funds because the purpose of funds was not stated, the bank manager's mistake. Took 3 hours at Phuket main branch of SCB and a whole of lot of perseverance to get it done and funds wired to Singapore bank.

Edited by EBlair48

My point is there is a visa for the non working under 50 crowd, but you need to show you have abundant resources, that money has to stay put in the CD the length of the visa.

That is incorrect.

Once you have shown the necessary 800k, it does not have to stay on deposit.

It is expected by immigration to be the minimum amount for living expenses for the year.

When you next extend the visa, you have to show another 800k which is the required living expenses for the extension.

After you have shown the money, you are free to do with it what you will.

I wonder if the same rules apply in other provinces which have immigration police. It would be interesting to know from those who live elsewhere, not that it will make any difference to what goes on here but it might be helpful for those who wish to relocate.

That is incorrect.

It is expected by immigration to be the minimum amount for living expenses for the year.

When you next extend the visa, you have to show another 800k which is the required living expenses for the extension.

800 K? That would be for retirement visa I am writing about Investor B requiring 10 million and it stays in a fixed deposit the whole year and you'll need a letter from the bank manager ( Thai Govt bank only ) , and the bank book to prove it.

So there is a visa for non working rich foreigners under age 50 , They do want wealthy foreigners any age and have made adequate provisions for that class of foreigner.,

Edited by EBlair48

That is incorrect.

800 K? That would be for retirement visa I am writing about Investor B requiring 3 million and it stays in a fixed deposit the whole year and you'll need a letter from the bank manager ( Thai Govt bank only ) , and the bank book to prove it.

So there is a visa for non working rich foreigners under age 50 , They do want wealthy foreigners any age and have made adequate provisions for that class of foreigner.,

Whoops....sorry.

^OK thanks , note I edited the post above it - should be 10 million , used to be 3 million when I had it. Stupidest thing I ever did was withdrawing that money to start a business, one headache after another.

• Like 1

KB,

Whats best for him?

how does one get to 50 with no skills?

Easy, your skills are in the area 'reserved for Thais only'

Then work outside Thailand