Would you even bother risking it in my situation?

Sorry to post again, but plans have changed and would like to get a few opinions.

Before I start I'd just like to say I only have 2 blank pages in my passport at the moment plus a few half pages. I also have 2 years worth of tourist visas, border jump stamps, and overstay fines (only by a day).

My first entry on my double tourist entry runs out at the beginning of next month and I have 2 options to choose from:

1 - Fly in and out of Malaysia before the 12th into Chiang Mai (I've already bought tickets, but prepared to cut my losses)

This would probably get me my last 3 months in Thailand, but if I got rejected at the airport I would waste a ton of money and lots of days trying to jump back and forwards to different places (remember I only have 2 blank pages)

2 - Just say goodbye to Thailand and apply for Cambodian e-visa online.

Leave country and pay agency to increase my visa to 6 months. Apply for new British passport in Cambodia, which you can do online and pick up in PP (I'll probably base myself at beach in Sihonvillke?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way I'll be heading to Bali once I have my new passport. I just can't do it now because of the pages I have left and the time it takes to get new passport.

One way I lose the money I just paid for flights to Malaysia, but it could also mean saving more money if I get rejected at the airport in Thailand 11th Aug.

What would you do?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's taking months to get a new British passport right now, they have a massive backlog.

There's also issues about proving your address.

People have been forced onto overstay as you can NOT use the passport once you apply for it.

You're in the shit I'm afraid.

At this time I would say go for number one. The only confirmed reports of people being turned away that have a tourist visa has been at the southern borders.

Some of the news also has gotten a bit confused because of the confusion of exempt entries and tourist visas. An article posted yesterday clearly was confusing the two.

I'll try to stay with option number 1 until the last minute, but I'll keep an eye on what is happening over the next few weeks.

I sort of agree with the guy who posted first in a way. I'm so sick and tired of feeling like I'm in limbo and I just want somewhere I can relax while applying for new passport, but at the same time I love where I'm staying on Samui.

Does anyone know if Sihonoukville is the same as Samui as far as a beach is concerned.

I just need a decent place with kitchen and internet access to work, so nothing fancy matters such as cinemas, night clubs, fancy foreign food stores, etc.

• Like 1

It's taking months to get a new British passport right now, they have a massive backlog.

People have been forced onto overstay as you can NOT use the passport once you apply for it.

That doesn't even make sense:

Get 3 months in Thailand and apply for passport

Get a month + 3 month extra in Cambodia and apply for passport.

Even if it takes longer than 12 weeks I can still apply for an emergency travel document.

I just don't want to have 24 hours to turn around at Chiang Mai airport because I will have to pay more for a flight than it would cost me for 3-6 month business visa in Cambodia, plus I'll be stuck in Malaysia where you can get a box room for the price of a house on Samui.

Edited by finy

Even if it takes longer than 12 weeks I can still apply for an emergency travel document.

I just don't want to have 24 hours to turn around at Chiang Mai airport because I will have to pay more for a flight than it would cost me for 3-6 month business visa in Cambodia, plus I'll be stuck in Malaysia where you can get a box room for the price of a house on Samui.

It makes sense due to the fact that you only have 2 pages left in your passport ! Think about it.

Edited by ukrules

Heard earlier it is only 3-4 weeks for a new passport when overseas as they are being fast-tracked. Backlog in the UK (I'm here now) is being managed on an individual basis so if you can prove need (booked ticket) it is also fast-tracked.

It makes sense due to the fact that you only have 2 pages left in your passport ! Think about it.

Do you mind explaining because you've well and truly lost me?

2 pages + a few halves will be enough for either option I mentioned, but I can understand why you're being overly cautious.

I would say go ahead and use the 2nd entry...live life on the edge. You already have the flights and the visa so why not. Just carry with you your travel itenary and hotel vouchers and have a booking leaving Thailand at some point during the second entry period and you should be fine.

• Like 1

Do you mind explaining because you've well and truly lost me?

2 pages + a few halves will be enough for either option I mentioned, but I can understand why you're being overly cautious.

Probably me just being overly cautious.

Once you apply for the new passport it doesn't matter how many pages you have left as they (apparently) cancel the old one immediately so even though you're cutting it fine you should be ok.

There's some true horror stories in the thread about people applying for British passports via the new 'Trendy' building in Bangkok. Some waiting for months.

Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

Once you apply for the new passport it doesn't matter how many pages you have left as they (apparently) cancel the old one immediately so even though you're cutting it fine you should be ok.

There's some true horror stories in the thread about people applying for British passports via the new 'Trendy' building in Bangkok. Some waiting for months.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers, I can understand people being cautious at the moment.

I think I'll be fine getting into Thailand with 3 months, Cambodia, or Vietnam.

Laos would be out because you need a lot of blank pages.

I will definitely take the number of blank pages I have into consideration though, because if I mess up I'll be stuck somewhere. For example, if I tried to get into CM and had to go back to Malaysia I'd be stuck there for 3 months until I got new passport.

• Like 1

That must be for British people (and maybe other country )?

For Danish people we can use our passport onto the new one come, right now a friend of mine are waiting for hes new passport, but he is travel outside Thailand right now, He apply for new passport before leaving Thailand.

Our passport dont get cancel before we go to Embassy to pickup the new passport.

Edited by JJ Madcow

For Danish people we can use our passport onto the new one come, right now a friend of mine are waiting for hes new passport, but he is travel outside Thailand right now, He apply for new passport before leaving Thailand.

Our passport dont get cancel before we go to Embassy to pickup the new passport.

Yeah we can travel too, but need to pay 5000bht for emergency travel document at embassy.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers, I can understand people being cautious at the moment.

I think I'll be fine getting into Thailand with 3 months, Cambodia, or Vietnam.

Laos would be out because you need a lot of blank pages.

I will definitely take the number of blank pages I have into consideration though, because if I mess up I'll be stuck somewhere. For example, if I tried to get into CM and had to go back to Malaysia I'd be stuck there for 3 months until I got new passport.

Maybe you've already done it but with USA passports, we can add extra pages to he passport. Basically, one can effectively triple the number of pages in it. Do UK passports have this option?

Can anyone answer me these questions please if you know the answers?

1 - Is it safe to order the 3-month single entry Vietnam visa online and pick it up when arriving by air?

2 - Will I get any hassle trying to apply for an ordinary visa if I fly into Cambodia?

3 - Are Sihonoukville (Cambodia) and Hue (Vietnam) decent little towns with nice beaches?

Cheers

option 2 and forget about Thailand for the time being, go beach and get a different experience with no gambling on a yes or no entry. In your case with all those stamps id say your not on good odds but then again CM isnt refusing people that ive heard..... yet

Sure...because even if you are allowed back in thai (unlikely) you will still face the same problem 3 months down the line..

Get out before the visa ends and good luck

I am in the same situation myself btw

I was going to leave after the 3 months anyway tbf, but maybe a clean passport with no mention of Thailand would be a good thing so better to leave.

(I know they check computers, but it might look good with no mention of Thailand at certain crossings)

Maybe you've already done it but with USA passports, we can add extra pages to he passport. Basically, one can effectively triple the number of pages in it. Do UK passports have this option?

No, we can't do this.

There is a number of beaches in Sihanokville, some of them more popular than the others. I liked it there in my previous visits but it's been over 4 years since the last time.

I always stayed on Serendipity beach (I think that's what it called) in the GST hotel, right near the beach. It was a fairly new and nice hotel and the rooms were only $7 per night. Internet was only in the lobby (WiFi) and they also have an internet room where you can use their computer or plug in yours. The things may have probably have changed since.

I've never been to Samui (even though I've been in Thailand for 6 years now) but if you like crowds, you'd be disappointing. It's very laid back place with lots of cozy little shops and restaurants, some night clubs and "other" night places.

The Pink color building is the GST hotel

post-111234-0-55119000-1405580330_thumb.

post-111234-0-47325500-1405580348_thumb.

post-111234-0-27147900-1405580370_thumb.

This is the street leading down the hill to the beach and GST hotel (can be visible in the top right corner).

post-111234-0-05602700-1405580391_thumb.

post-111234-0-91277500-1405580412_thumb.

post-111234-0-03939500-1405580430_thumb.

• Like 1

1 - Is it safe to order the 3-month single entry Vietnam visa online and pick it up when arriving by air?

2 - Will I get any hassle trying to apply for an ordinary visa if I fly into Cambodia?

3 - Are Sihonoukville (Cambodia) and Hue (Vietnam) decent little towns with nice beaches?

Cheers

Ever heard of google ??????

\

I also have 2 years worth of tourist visas, border jump stamps, and overstay fines (only by a day).

"People have been forced onto overstay ..."

Right.

its_not_my_fault_post_card-rb99fb4e7c369

Edited by Suradit69

First thought I had was "failing to plan is planning to fail". If it takes so long to get a new passport why hve you waited until your old one is full? Seems as though you dug your own grave so you need to take your losses and suck it up.

Australia cuts your passport with scissors renerding it invalid. I beleive the UK is the same.

I used this company to get the letter for Vietnam visa: Vietnam visa pro. I paid 8 usd. They sent it to me the same day, even if I paid for normal service, which should take 2 business days. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to order one online once I've booked flights.

Heard stories of people applying for 3 month visa at BKK embassy and only getting 1 month in Vietnam because of a mistake so not worth the risk.

Cheers

I'm a vagabond day trader and I visited both Sihonoukville (a couple of weeks ago) and Hue (a day trip from Da Nang in March). Just to give you an idea, Da Nang is my fall back option if I run into issues in Thailand. I'd be there right now if they had direct flights to Bangkok. (I happen to be in PP right now on my last visa run.)

I was pleased with Central Vietnam. The beaches I looked at were Da Nang down to Hoi An (south of Hue by maybe 120KM). I drove up the coast to Hue to look at ruins and noted some very nice looking coves along the way. Didn't check out the beaches up around Hue, but I imagine they'd be similar to Da Nang area. I found the water to be a little cold (this was in March so outside their tourist rush from Hanoi and Japan) but good waves for surfing. The internet was good at my hotel (The Northern) at least. The tourist infrastructure isn't as built up in Da Nang as it probably is in Hue , since that's more of a tourist draw (Guess that can be both good and bad.) The Da Nang riverfront was very pleasant in the evenings.

Sihonouville had nice beaches too, but not too much else. I didn't have any issues with internet there. It wasn't screaming fast, but it certainly exceeded my expectations for Cambodia (which are very low after trying to trade from a few hotels in Siem Reap). Prepare yourself for a long bus ride from Phnom Penh. Mini vans are probably the quickest option (about 4 hours).

Cambodia visa on arrival is a breeze. Just bring the needed passport sized photos and $20 USD(think it was 20) and you'll be good to go. I've flown in 3 separate times and never had the smallest issue.

Can't help you with the on line visa for Vietnam question. I always grab one from the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok. But I imagine if you are flying into HCM or Hanoi they will be familiar with processing those.

Good luck and let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.

-tom

• Like 1

Cheers

I'm a vagabond day trader and I visited both Sihonoukville (a couple of weeks ago) and Hue (a day trip from Da Nang in March). Just to give you an idea, Da Nang is my fall back option if I run into issues in Thailand. I'd be there right now if they had direct flights to Bangkok. (I happen to be in PP right now on my last visa run.)

I was pleased with Central Vietnam. The beaches I looked at were Da Nang down to Hoi An (south of Hue by maybe 120KM). I drove up the coast to Hue to look at ruins and noted some very nice looking coves along the way. Didn't check out the beaches up around Hue, but I imagine they'd be similar to Da Nang area. I found the water to be a little cold (this was in March so outside their tourist rush from Hanoi and Japan) but good waves for surfing. The internet was good at my hotel (The Northern) at least. The tourist infrastructure isn't as built up in Da Nang as it probably is in Hue , since that's more of a tourist draw (Guess that can be both good and bad.) The Da Nang riverfront was very pleasant in the evenings.

Sihonouville had nice beaches too, but not too much else. I didn't have any issues with internet there. It wasn't screaming fast, but it certainly exceeded my expectations for Cambodia (which are very low after trying to trade from a few hotels in Siem Reap). Prepare yourself for a long bus ride from Phnom Penh. Mini vans are probably the quickest option (about 4 hours).

Cambodia visa on arrival is a breeze. Just bring the needed passport sized photos and $20 USD(think it was 20) and you'll be good to go. I've flown in 3 separate times and never had the smallest issue.

Can't help you with the on line visa for Vietnam question. I always grab one from the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok. But I imagine if you are flying into HCM or Hanoi they will be familiar with processing those.

Good luck and let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.

-tom

Thanks a lot for your help!

I will definitely consider the places you mentioned. It will probably just be better going from place to place like you did and choosing somewhere I like.