Would you even bother risking it in my situation?

YOu can get a tempory passport of course from Bangkok but it is a lot of hassle and you can only use it to travel to cambodia - i know i recently did it. You also can only get a one month visa in it

It's taking months to get a new British passport right now, they have a massive backlog.

There's also issues about proving your address.

People have been forced onto overstay as you can NOT use the passport once you apply for it.

You're in the shit I'm afraid.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At this time I would say go for number one. The only confirmed reports of people being turned away that have a tourist visa has been at the southern borders.

Some of the news also has gotten a bit confused because of the confusion of exempt entries and tourist visas. An article posted yesterday clearly was confusing the two.

I'll try to stay with option number 1 until the last minute, but I'll keep an eye on what is happening over the next few weeks.

I sort of agree with the guy who posted first in a way. I'm so sick and tired of feeling like I'm in limbo and I just want somewhere I can relax while applying for new passport, but at the same time I love where I'm staying on Samui.

Does anyone know if Sihonoukville is the same as Samui as far as a beach is concerned.

I just need a decent place with kitchen and internet access to work, so nothing fancy matters such as cinemas, night clubs, fancy foreign food stores, etc.

This op post just sums up how many are feeling. A genuine tourist just enjoying his time here and putting his money from o/s into Thai economy. To the op don't rule out beaches and islands in Cambodia. Very chilled place. Unlike pp. Spend some time in Siem Reap and drink 15 baht handle beer. I'm in hcm now and back to bkk tomorrow. Just got tourist visa easy here. If it wasn't for the Thai gf I would just p..iss off from Thailand. All to much crap now

• Like 1

While your debating on where to go could you please explain how you are going to "prove your address" to the UK passport authorities ? you have no long term history anywhere (especially so if you go wandering around Vietnam) . I have been in Thailand 7 years and struggled to prove my address (still dont know if what I supplied has been accepted). I cannot see how you can do it if your travelling about.

It's taking months to get a new British passport right now, they have a massive backlog.

There's also issues about proving your address.

People have been forced onto overstay as you can NOT use the passport once you apply for it.

You're in the shit I'm afraid.

\

I also have 2 years worth of tourist visas, border jump stamps, and overstay fines (only by a day).

"People have been forced onto overstay ..."

Right.

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Procedures were changed with absolutely no warning a few months ago and at that time passport office guidance advised a 3 week waiting time which has now risen to 11 weeks+ meaning plenty of people being forced on to overstay .Self-righteouss fool.

More helpful?

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

"Get the forms, prices and application details you need if you’re a British national and you want to renew or apply for a British passport from overseas.

If you can’t wait for a new passport, you can get details on how to apply for a 12-month extension to your British passport..."

looks like they will need to count your half pages for the extension...

Having already paid for airfare to Malaysia, that is where I would be going and staying until my passport was sorted out. I find Georgetown as comfortable a place to stay as anywhere in Thailand (more so than anywhere in Vietnam or Cambodia). Nice beaches to be found on much of Penang island and you get 90 days free stay permit on arrival.

12 month UK temporary extension doesn't help in this case, as it is merely a half page stamp in a passport that the OP states is almost full.

I didn't think the extension would be of much use, unless it came with a couple of blank pages to add to those the OP has left. I just included it with the main link. It looks to me like the OP doesn't have enough pages left to qualify for an extension anyway, not to mention the expiration time-line mentioned on the website (I don't know where the OP is at in regards to that).

I understand that everyone has their own feelings about countries in the region and some will not be as enamored of Georgetown and Malaysia as I am. That is where I would go, because I like it there and I get a 90-day free stay permit on arrival. That would give 12 or 13 weeks to sort out the passport before having to cross a border. And, the next 'border run' could be to Singapore, rather than Thailand, if it works out better that way.

I'm not a big beach person, but there are some nice ones at places on Penang. Some are a hive of activity and others that you can have all to yourself (if you are willing to walk to them). Nice National Park an hour from the City as well, with regular bus service to the entrance, some decent trails and nicer beaches (free entrance). Good botanical garden with a steep trail up to the hilltop - a good workout if you have the desire.

Lots to see in town – old historical buildings of all persuasions and a decent museum. There may be a British consulate presence there as well, saw something online about that, but not sure if it would be of help with the passport.

From the description of your passport, you certainly come under the target group of foreigners they wish to deny entry to.

Option 1 is a risk.

Option 2 has no risk at all.

If you fly into Phnom Penh, you can get a 12 month multi-entry business visa on arrival. Yes, you can even work on the visa. To your shock, you will actually see foreigners serving beer in their own bar. smile.png Cost is around $290USD.

You can then wait to see what happens with this crack down, whilst also applying for a new passport. As you have a 12 month visa, it doesn't matter how long your Embassy takes to arrange for a new passport for you.

Wait out the time on the beaches down in Sihanoukville with the expats and backpackers.

Then, depending if the crack down fizzles out, you can apply for a 60 day tourist visa in Phnom Penh, with a clean passport, and try again.

Also, and don't quote me on this, you would probably be allowed to put the remained of your 12 month multi-entry Cambodian business visa into the new passport, so it will be good for future visa runs to Cambodia, should the crack down fizzle out, and should it not, you can go back to Sihanoukville and wait the specified time (no one knows what that is yet) until they consider you are not a "back to back" visa runner and then you can come back to Thailand.

If you cancel your flights to Chiang Mai, the airline will refund you the tax and surcharges for the flights, so they will not be a total loss.

Edited by NamKangMan

While your debating on where to go could you please explain how you are going to "prove your address" to the UK passport authorities ? you have no long term history anywhere (especially so if you go wandering around Vietnam) . I have been in Thailand 7 years and struggled to prove my address (still dont know if what I supplied has been accepted). I cannot see how you can do it if your travelling about.

I won't be sleeping on the beach cheesy.gif

I guess I can rent an apartment and get a letter from landlord, or stay in a guest house and have proof that way.

You're very pessimistic and it sounds like you're saying people can't apply for a passport abroad unless they've lived somewhere for years.

We both know that isn't true.

I won't be sleeping on the beach cheesy.gif

I guess I can rent an apartment and get a letter from landlord, or stay in a guest house and have proof that way.

You're very pessimistic and it sounds like you're saying people can't apply for a passport abroad unless they've lived somewhere for years.

We both know that isn't true.

"I guess I can rent an apartment and get a letter from landlord, or stay in a guest house and have proof that way." - yes, it's called, or nick named by expats, a Sangkat letter. No need for a letter from your landlord.

There is no problem getting a Sangkat letter. Travel agents will even organise one for you. They are about $25USD and you will need a passport photo.

You just tell them the address where you are staying, or give them the business card.

Come back in a day or two and you have the letter.

The Sangkat letter is the equivilent of the Certificate of Residence in Thailand.

Everything is easier in Cambodia. :)

lol letter from the landlord or staying in a guest house is not valid proof,if only it was that easy . This Sangkat sounds a good option although what does it prove if you can just tell them you live there ?I got the certificate of residence (a letter from immigration) in Thailand by showing an internet bill with my wifes name on and our marriage certificate.

If you think I'm being pessimistic phone them up and ask what they will accept and I bet you have nothing that will suffice.

If you read this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713867-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/ you will see that a letter sent to an applicant at their address in Thailand from the passport office itself telling them they needed to prove their address wasn't good enough as proof.

Edited by parryhandy

Well I'm sure I can come up with something instead of needing to fly back home.

I always have the emergency travel visa as an option if I need more time.

Thanks for alerting me to the fact I'll need to pay close attention to the matter, but something will come up.

Since I'm going to Vietnam I guess the Sangkat letter won't apply, but there will be something I can do.

Maybe I could ask for it to be sent to UK embassy in Vietnam to pick up from there.

Well I'm sure I can come up with something instead of needing to fly back home.

I always have the emergency travel visa as an option if I need more time.

Thanks for alerting me to the fact I'll need to pay close attention to the matter, but something will come up.

Since I'm going to Vietnam I guess the Sangkat letter won't apply, but there will be something I can do.

Maybe I could ask for it to be sent to UK embassy in Vietnam to pick up from there.

yup you can pick it up from there after you have proved where you are living lol

You're a little too hung up on the address cheesy.gif

I'm sure many a backpacker staying in hostels has lost their passport and they haven't been told to f off home for a new passport.

Don't let your bad experience haunt you.

I'm sure many a backpacker staying in hostels has lost their passport and they haven't been told to f off home for a new passport.

British HMPO are not relaxed backpackers, they are faceless paper pushers who don't give a flying f..k whether you have a passport or not.

The rules have been tightened up on the grounds of 'National Security' to prevent 'Identity Theft' since the 26th March 2014.

Now to be eligible for a replacement passport you have to prove you are who you say you are and that the address where you stay is actually where you live. the old passport alone doesn't cut it anymore.

Here is the new HMPO of acceptable confirmations of name and address.

Please provide one of the following:

• resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• baptismal or naming certificate

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• parents’ death certificates if applicable

• immigration documents.

Good luck.

last word on this thread.

Its a fecked up system but its only been in place since March so its early days but as it stands they would have to buy an emergency travel document home.

• Like 1

Ok, scare tactics have worked and I want to go with safest option.

Would you agree it's better to get Cambodian visa extended for 12 months to give me leeway.

Then try to pay for that proof of address thing, or at least find another way (water bill etc) to get my address proof before my visa runs out?

Thanks for the advice by the way, I shouldn't be so quick to convince myself I'm right.

Edited by finy

British HMPO are not relaxed backpackers, they are faceless paper pushers who don't give a flying f..k whether you have a passport or not.

The rules have been tightened up on the grounds of 'National Security' to prevent 'Identity Theft' since the 26th March 2014.

Now to be eligible for a replacement passport you have to prove you are who you say you are and that the address where you stay is actually where you live. the old passport alone doesn't cut it anymore.

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

Good luck.

Couldn't the OP have most, if not all, of the documents you mention, posted over to him?

Would you agree it's better to get Cambodian visa extended for 12 months to give me leeway.

Then try to pay for that proof of address thing, or at least find another way (water bill etc) to get my address proof before my visa runs out?

Thanks for the advice by the way, I shouldn't be so quick to convince myself I'm right.

Fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. When you arrive, ask for the 12 month multi-entry business visa. Around $290USD.

If you go in on a 1 month, and then extend to a 12 month, which is no problem at all, that will be 2 pages in your passport, instead of 1 page.

Sure, you will get 13 months instead of 12 months, but if you must stay there, that extra page can be used for another 12 month extension, effectively giving you 2 years in Cambodia, whilst only using the last 2 pages of your passport.

• Like 1

Fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. When you arrive, ask for the 12 month multi-entry business visa. Around $290USD.

If you go in on a 1 month, and then extend to a 12 month, which is no problem at all, that will be 2 pages in your passport, instead of 1 page.

Sure, you will get 13 months instead of 12 months, but if you must stay there, that extra page can be used for another 12 month extension, effectively giving you 2 years in Cambodia, whilst only using the last 2 pages of your passport.

Thanks, I'll try this.

If I have to go with the one month then extra 12 it wouldn't be the end of the world because I'll have a fresh 48 page passport by then, but I'll see what they say about your recommendation.

Since they don't advertise this I take it you need to do an 'under the counter' thing?

Thanks, I'll try this.

If I have to go with the one month then extra 12 it wouldn't be the end of the world because I'll have a fresh 48 page passport by then, but I'll see what they say about your recommendation.

Since they don't advertise this I take it you need to do an 'under the counter' thing?

No "under the counter thing." Ask the Immigration guys when you land. They will say it's fine. It's nothing special. All the travel agents offer it, so they do too.

I am a visa runner. I have a constant Cambodian 12 month multi-entry business visa always running in my passport. I used to have a Vietnam 12 month multi-entry visa running as well, but they have stopped issuing 12 months and now only issue 3 months, but you can extend from within Vietnam.

I got my Cambodian visa at the airport in early October 2013. I doubt it has changed since then, but you could make some inquiries. If it has changed, you still have that last page left in your passport for a 12 month visa through a travel agent.

My next visa run will be to Cambodia. I will fly in a week before my visa expires, just in case they have stopped issuing 12 months at the airport and I need to get one through an agent, but I think it will be fine.

• Like 1

No "under the counter thing." Ask the Immigration guys when you land. They will say it's fine. It's nothing special. All the travel agents offer it, so they do too.

I am a visa runner. I have a constant Cambodian 12 month multi-entry business visa always running in my passport. I used to have a Vietnam 12 month multi-entry visa running as well, but they have stopped issuing 12 months and now only issue 3 months, but you can extend from within Vietnam.

I got my Cambodian visa at the airport in early October 2013. I doubt it has changed since then, but you could make some inquiries. If it has changed, you still have that last page left in your passport for a 12 month visa through a travel agent.

My next visa run will be to Cambodia. I will fly in a week before my visa expires, just in case they have stopped issuing 12 months at the airport and I need to get one through an agent, but I think it will be fine.

Don't you need some supporting documents showing the existence of some business for the business visa?

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

Good luck.

Couldn't the OP have most, if not all, of the documents you mention, posted over to him?

These are the standard available HMPO choices to prove your name and address in the country where you are applying to renew your passport.

The $290 12-month Cambodian business visa sounds ok if you want to stay in Cambodia for a year. For the same money you might be able to get to Bali on an emergency travel document, including transportation costs, if more than 90 days turns out to be needed for passport replacement in Malaysia. If still planning for Bali, something to think about. Going the Malaysia route, since you are almost already there in Surat Thani, if a refund is possible on your Malaysian airfare, I would take the refund and then the local train south.

These are the standard available HMPO choices to prove your name and address in the country where you are applying to renew your passport.

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

Is a UK national who is only traveling abroad allowed to renew/replace their passport while they are in the midst of traveling? I ask because it looks like they want proof of residence, something that a tourist would not have. Is renewal/replacement only meant to be available to those living abroad?

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

Is a UK national who is only traveling abroad allowed to renew/replace their passport while they are in the midst of traveling? I ask because it looks like they want proof of residence, something that a tourist would not have. Is renewal/replacement only meant to be available to those living abroad?

Yep, seems like passport replacement overseas is no longer an option for itinerant travelers, only the 'get you home' ETD (at 95 GBP equivalent) is now realistically available (and much more profitable).

It's 'security' in the guise of 'identity theft' you see; maybe 'Mr. Nice Backpacker's' passport has been stolen by 'Mr. Nasty Terrorist', who wants a clean one with his photo in to get visa exempt entry to a target country, so he can let off a few IEDs or the like.

Remember those Israeli assassins who were in Egypt a couple of years ago all travelling on British passports?

Do you wonder how they got those passports? The identities were all stolen from real people, but the British Government didn't in fact print the ones they were travelling on, they were all forged documents.

However, this is how the British Government sees us now, as us all being potentially Mr. Nasty Terrorist, so they want more than name, rank and number before they will cough up a new passport.

Plus ca change.

Edited by digitalchromakey

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• immigration documents.

Yep, seems like passport replacement overseas is no longer an option for itinerant travelers, only the 'get you home' ETD (at 95 GBP equivalent) is now realistically available (and much more profitable).

It's 'security' in the guise of 'identity theft' you see; maybe 'Mr. Nice Backpacker's' passport has been stolen by 'Mr. Nasty Terrorist', who wants a clean one with his photo in to get visa exempt entry to a target country, so he can let off a few IEDs or the like.

Remember those Israeli assassins who were in Egypt a couple of years ago all travelling on British passports?

Do you wonder how they got those passports? The identities were all stolen from real people, but the British Government didn't in fact print the ones they were travelling on, they were all forged documents.

However, this is how the British Government sees us now, as us all being potentially Mr. Nasty Terrorist, so they want more than name, rank and number before they will cough up a new passport.

Plus ca change.

That all makes sense to me, and I am all for security, but an address abroad seems easier to come up with for the 'bad guys' than would home country proof of identity for the legit traveler wanting the passport renewed/replaced. Maybe a good reason to make 'fingerprints on file' part of the passport procurement process? This is something that could be checked when applying for renewal/replacement, though it would require an in person appearance. Not easy to copy someones fingerprints.

^ spot on. Proof of residence is a ridiculous requirement because it proves nothing, they cant verify the evidence properly and your dropping off/picking up the passports in person anyway.It cant/ doesn't work for oversees applications. Oh and don't forget your paying with a credit/debit card in your name so a credit check if your paying with a UK card should be enough to asses any fraud.

Edited by parryhandy

Plus ca change.

That all makes sense to me, and I am all for security, but an address abroad seems easier to come up with for the 'bad guys' than would home country proof of identity for the legit traveler wanting the passport renewed/replaced. Maybe a good reason to make 'fingerprints on file' part of the passport procurement process? This is something that could be checked when applying for renewal/replacement, though it would require an in person appearance. Not easy to copy someones fingerprints.

Good idea, but don't expect the Muppets at HMPO to adopt it, they are only interested in making passport applications more difficult.