Free Wi-Fi service for train passengers

webfact

Free Wi-Fi service for train passengers

BANGKOK: -- The board of directors of the State Railway of Thailand has instructed acting SRT governor Prasert Attanan to install free Wi-Fi services for train passengers.

In the initial phrase, the services will be available on express trains, inside sleeping carriages and inside Bangkok Railway Station.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Free-Wi-Fi-service-for-train-passengers-30238708.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-17

And sockets to keep things charged, such as: phones, laptops, pads and notebooks will be provided in carriages, in case of emergency?

No point in having Wi-Fi if your source of use for it is battery dead!

Edited by UbonRatch
  • Like 1

And sockets to keep things charged, such as: phones, laptops, pads and notebooks will be provided in carriages, in case of emergency?

No point in having Wi-Fi if your source of use for it is battery dead!

there are a couple of device charging sockets already in some sleepers. not really adequate.

am wondering where they are going to get the internet access from to feed the wifi on a moving train?

satellite? 3g phone? whatever it going to be slow, so perhaps will still be using your own 3g phone connection as before.

Edited by munters meadow

People on the train can logon to WiFi to report on crimes like Rape, Murder, Robbery, Molest etc.

Good idea.

DOES your phone stay charged all the way from, for example, Ubon to BKK - a 12 hour journey, for those who do not take the express?

I have a Samsung S4 and, if fully charged before embarking, then yes it would be operative for such a long journey.

How many Thai kids have up-to-date phones? Probably 10% - the rich ones. All others use battered old Nokias and the likes, or second hand decent phones in which the battery is almost defunct.

Therefore, unless they take a charger, and have access to such to charge their phones, then no - they can actually report zilch, zero, nada, rien, ไม่มีอะไร ....

Without sockets available to each seat then the idea is fairly useless.... but a nice idea, at second best. ;) It looks and sounds good only.

Hope the download speed is faster than the trains. But great news anyway, and yes, they'll need to provide more electrical sockets. I presume they'll be using a 3G signal, how many connections can that handle?

Actually pigeon post would be faster than the trains.

Retrograde, populist decision to attract the 30 - 40 IQ group to trains (NOTE IQ group - not AGE group!).

Now it will be absolutely impossible to relax on a train, with all the lowest grade morons playing smartphone and notebook games - with the associated beeps, grunts and farts.

Pity SRT haven't the intellect of Cotswold Trains in UK where they have mobile/smartphones banned in many coaches!

Bliss! And a coach full of intelligent companions for the journey from Stourbridge to London.

Give me free drinks and food but I will never get on a Thai train ever again. Too slow, too expensive, disgusting toilets, lousy service.

This has gone completely OFF THE RAILS, way OFF TRACK, wi fi--ON LINE, Someone needs to be re-TRAINED in their thinking, until the stock and lines are bettered.

Retrograde, populist decision to attract the 30 - 40 IQ group to trains (NOTE IQ group - not AGE group!).

Now it will be absolutely impossible to relax on a train, with all the lowest grade morons playing smartphone and notebook games - with the associated beeps, grunts and farts.

Pity SRT haven't the intellect of Cotswold Trains in UK where they have mobile/smartphones banned in many coaches!

Bliss! And a coach full of intelligent companions for the journey from Stourbridge to London.

'Bliss! And a coach full of intelligent companions for the journey from Stourbridge to London."

Ah yes, England, that green and pleasant land where intelligent companions abound.

Too bad you live in Thailand where you may be lucky to get one person to engage in a brief conversation with you, assuming you speak a little Thai. travelling in Thai trains is usually a reasonably pleasant experience if you've time on your hands and a sense of adventure and you are a people watcher..

Give me free drinks and food but I will never get on a Thai train ever again. Too slow, too expensive, disgusting toilets, lousy service.

I've learned that the center of the universe doesn't revolve around me and I have options. One is to accept life on life's terms. The other is to move on.