Lucky to have got out in time or not?

a99az

Help me a bit. The OP is

Lucky to have got out in time or not

In time for what? What has changed recently? Why would someone want to get out?

You'll see.

See what?

Edited by thailiketoo

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vunerable

maybe speeling would as wood might make you feel vunerable hahahahah

sorry i jest and digress

My future is brilliant as an expat ,dont need to work, dont need a beer bar, and staying her for 11 years legaly, what more could a man want

The OP has clearly stated he has children and that the education of his children is a major factor in his decision, the responsibilities he carries may not be the same as your own.

The OP CLEARLY stated this too

. I do wonder what the future is for expats in Thailand, I don't see it getting better or becoming easier.

i answered what my future is

So you can read the future?

Can you share the winning lottery numbers for next tranche with me ?

Help me a bit. The OP is

Lucky to have got out in time or not

In time for what? What has changed recently? Why would someone want to get out?

You'll see.

Can you give me a timeline for the impending cataclysm, please ? Are we talking August 12, or is this some longer term portent of doom that you've seen in the goat entrails ?

Choosing the needs of children's education over parents desire to be in Thailand is almost always the right decision.

Even the very best international schools in Thailand barely hold up against the better state schools in the UK, not simply on the grounds of educational standards, but also on a range of social and personal development issues too.

That's OK for now, but the way the UK is going, and by the time the children are adults, the country will be well on the way to being under the control of people of a certain faith.

If Thailand can just sort a few things out with the help of the general, the country can get better. At least the Thais look after their own first, something the UK have never done.

It's just a pity that the education is so poor here. I think that is about the only thing the UK have ahead of Thailand. also, the corruption is even worse from the UK government than it was in Thailand.

For phugz sake why does any discussion of the UK always seem to come back to immigrants or religion-based paranoia with you?

You can sit here and fight the Thais' corner all you bloody well like but until such time as you jump through the hoops that Thai immigration lay out for you for PR or citizenship, you will never - I repeat, NEVER - have the right of abode here and, as such, you're just as vulnerable as everyone else to the whims of the immigration officer or clerk on duty on the day you wanna re-enter the kingdom or renew whatever visa/extension you're here on.

Yes, the UK has its problems but guess what, if and when Thai immigration decides to piss on your cornflakes, Mother England will be there with open arms to clutch you to her bosom

Stop being such an ingrate

I really can't understand why people go on about getting citizenship being hard. If you are married to a Thai and work it's easier than many countries.

I would prefer my kids to go to a mid range EP program in Thailand than throw away everything I have here just so they can get a degree and work in McDonalds.

What if they dropped out of school when they are 15?

Stay here and let them be my pension plan, rather than move to the Uk, where we'd have to work our <deleted> off and still be skint at the end of the month after living in a box eating in every night.

I plan on sending my kids to get a degree abroad then they can choose themselves. I see some friends who seem to think they are their kids' entertainment manager and are the priority in their life. Sorry kids not me - I'll provide the best I can where I am happy.

Do you have Thai citizenship then ?

I really can't understand why people go on about getting citizenship being hard. If you are married to a Thai and work it's easier than many countries.

I would prefer my kids to go to a mid range EP program in Thailand than throw away everything I have here just so they can get a degree and work in McDonalds.

Stay here and let them be my pension plan, rather than move to the Uk, where we'd have to work our <deleted> off and still be skint at the end of the month after living in a box eating in every night.

I plan on sending my kids to get a degree abroad then they can choose themselves. I see some friends who seem to think they are their kids' entertainment manager and are the priority in their life. Sorry kids not me - I'll provide the best I can where I am happy.

No I don't but could easily get it. I have made man enquiries and will submit the documents maybe next march.

Edited by Neeranam

Silly thread IMHO and it sure riles up the crowd.

For us folks who did not decide to have children in Thailand this is moot. While I understand he bailed out for his children that's not my concern. The tread title/question is odd. "Lucky to have go out?" He could have left anytime, its not like the doors closed....

I am quite happy in Thailand with my wife and I am not worried in the least bit about having my ticket yanked. All this wind up about expats be denied is funny to me. Typical westerner behavior like FOX news or CNN. Way too general. The people being denied are the exploiters. The married guy or the retired guy can carry on without issue and all this is noise.

I wish the OP the best and he did what he felt was right but like a poster said early on in this thread, I do not have to work, I do not need a beer bar, I do not need to carry on in some shady business i just wake up and decide what I want to do. .

• Like 1

No I don't but could easily get it. I have made man enquiries and will submit the documents maybe next march.

Maybe you should wait a few more years then, until you actually received your citizenship, before you comment again that it's so easy.

By the way don't you have to proof a taxable income of 80.000 baht a month for the past 3-4 years to qualify ?

If I remember correctly, aren't you an English teacher

Edited by JesseFrank

You make good points, no country is perfect, If something happened that would force me to leave Thailand, there is no way I would ever go back to stay in the UK, I went back for three months during the floods, and the place was crowded out by emigrants, they have taken the place over, and the streets are not safe. Maybe I would move to Cambodia, and could always go the Thailand from time to time to see my wife.

But I don't think that will ever happen, but that would probably be my plan B.

I caught up with Jarunee, my old 'mae bahn' from 20 years ago, did well for herself, found a nice retired farang, got married and now lives in Finland. Been there maybe 8 or 9 years already? I asked her what changes she saw while she was here and apart from the food prices being much higher, she added,

...and the place was crowded out by emigrants, they have taken the place over, and the streets are not safe.

She's going back to Finland end of the month btw.

Edited by NanLaew

I stand by everything I say, for all Thailands faults, the UK could learn a lot from them. We won't have to worry about being run over with emigrants here.

I'm guessing you don't understand your own comment because Thailand ain't special. No country anywhere will have to worry about being run over by emigrants, by definition.

Maybe you should wait a few more years then, until you actually received your citizenship, before you comment again that it's so easy.

By the way don't you have to proof a taxable income of 80.000 baht a month for the past 3-4 years to qualify ?

I have friends who have got citizenship and as I said have found out all the requirements.

Pay tax on 40,000 baht a month.

I was an English teacher for 13 years but haven't been one for many years now.

Have you known anyone to apply and be refused?

Oooooh... wotcher Neeranam, you got a stalker!

• Like 1

Quite - confusing how he thinks I'm an English teacher when he has been a member less than 1 year Been 8 years since I did that. Maybe he should be posting in the reincarnation thread.

• Like 1

I stand by everything I say, for all Thailands faults, the UK could learn a lot from them. We won't have to worry about being run over with emigrants here.

...quoth the emigrant.

The "Emigrant's" avatar would suggest he's perhaps been an "Emigrant" more than once.... I don't know many British people who would select the flag of the Republic of Ireland as their avatar (perhaps a few were it on fire).

...quoth the emigrant.

The "Emigrant's" avatar would suggest he's perhaps been an "Emigrant" more than once.... I don't know many British people who would select the flag of the Republic of Ireland as their avatar (perhaps a few were it on fire).

I will be a proud Scot if we vote YES in September, but that is not going to happen, so I will keep using my Republic of Ireland avatar in honour of the brave Irishmen who fought and died for their independence.

Quite - confusing how he thinks I'm an English teacher when he has been a member less than 1 year Been 8 years since I did that. Maybe he should be posting in the reincarnation thread.

I definitely was a member when you posted that you had been a teacher 2 days ago, so no case of reincarnation.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743158-never-speak-thai-in-english-class/?p=8106174

@Nanlaew Isn't it allowed anymore to ask a question to ANOTHER poster anymore, or is that a chip on your shoulder I notice there ?

I definitely was a member when you posted that you had been a teacher 2 days ago, so no case of reincarnation.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743158-never-speak-thai-in-english-class/?p=8106174

@Nanlaew Isn't it allowed anymore to ask a question to ANOTHER poster anymore, or is that a chip on your shoulder I notice there ?

If you are a teacher learn the differece between 'was' ( past tense) and 'have been' (present perfect tense).

If you are a teacher learn the differece between 'was' ( past tense) and 'have been' (present perfect tense).

I will never have to go that low as to be an English teacher to make a living, but even without being a teacher or even an Native English speaker I know that "I was an English teacher here for over a decade" isn't correct English grammar.

I was an English teacher here over a decade ago, would have been understandable.

Edited by JesseFrank

Someone is teaching in Thailand then moves to the UK with two kids. Can't afford to send them to an International school here but can just up roots and live in the UK without benefits? I don't think so.

A qualified teacher in the UK can easily get a wage of 25k/year.

His wife can also work in the UK the day they get off the plane, even as a cleaner she would earn 10-14k/year

Easily done for a family with two adults of working age.

25K minus 30% tax = 1458 GBP pm or $2500 pm try living off that in the UK. Not having a go at you but it's peanuts.

Not true mate; Below is what he would earn on his own, let alone if his wife had work too, and child benefit they would receive.This is also calculated on taxable income being less. As that has changed to 10k, he would get roughly another 100quid per month on what is shown below. If his wife just earned 100pound a week cleaning, this would all total around 600 per month more. 2200 a month, would be enough depending on where you live and your lifestyle. 2200 a month in Thailand - 110k for a family, some expat families renting, schools, visas and medical bills included, would struggle with that.

£25,000 after tax is £19,533 annually and it makes £1,627 net monthly salary. This net wage is calculated with the assumption that you are younger than 65, not married and with no pension deductions, no childcare vouchers, no student loan payment.

Yearly Monthly Weekly Daily Gross Income £25,000.00 £2,083.33 £480.77 £96.15 Pension Deductions £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 Childcare Vouchers £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 Taxable Income £16,895.00 £1,407.92 £324.90 £64.98 Tax £3,379.00 £281.58 £64.98 £13.00 National Insurance £2,087.40 £173.95 £40.14 £8.03 Student Loan £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 Take Home Net Salary £19,533.60 £1,627.80 £375.65 £75.13

I will never have to go that low as to be an English teacher to make a living, but even without being a teacher or even an Native English speaker I know that "I was an English teacher here for over a decade" isn't correct English grammar.

I was an English teacher here over a decade ago, would have been understandable.

There are many here among us that teach English as a way to stay busy and useful. We don't do it for the money, but to make a contribution to society. You sound like a selfish prat that just uses up oxygen and have nothing useful to add to society nor this topic.

There are many who do it for the money too - it's a very easy way to make a living.

I have friends who have got citizenship and as I said have found out all the requirements.

I know somebody they tried to stiff for 500k to finally get it, after two years waiting and a lot of money to get that far. He told them no and six months later they came back with an offer of 700k. Really who would want Thai citizenship anyway, i'd be rather embarrassed to even apply.

I know somebody they tried to stiff for 500k to finally get it, after two years waiting and a lot of money to get that far. He told them no and six months later they came back with an offer of 700k. Really who would want Thai citizenship anyway, i'd be rather embarrassed to even apply.

funny, we've 'gone that far'. Final interviews and all. Just waiting for a minister to be appointed.

Final count....5000 odd baht from memory.

I'm glad you are a superior human. Heres 5 baht. Call someone who cares.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Someone is teaching in Thailand then moves to the UK with two kids. Can't afford to send them to an International school here but can just up roots and live in the UK without benefits? I don't think so.

A qualified teacher in the UK can easily get a wage of 25k/year.
His wife can also work in the UK the day they get off the plane, even as a cleaner she would earn 10-14k/year

Easily done for a family with two adults of working age.

25K minus 30% tax = 1458 GBP pm or $2500 pm try living off that in the UK. Not having a go at you but it's peanuts.

Not true mate; Below is what he would earn on his own, let alone if his wife had work too, and child benefit they would receive.This is also calculated on taxable income being less. As that has changed to 10k, he would get roughly another 100quid per month on what is shown below. If his wife just earned 100pound a week cleaning, this would all total around 600 per month more. 2200 a month, would be enough depending on where you live and your lifestyle. 2200 a month in Thailand - 110k for a family, some expat families renting, schools, visas and medical bills included, would struggle with that.

£25,000 after tax is £19,533 annually and it makes £1,627 net monthly salary. This net wage is calculated with the assumption that you are younger than 65, not married and with no pension deductions, no childcare vouchers, no student loan payment.

Yearly Monthly Weekly Daily Gross Income £25,000.00 £2,083.33 £480.77 £96.15 Pension Deductions £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 Childcare Vouchers £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 Taxable Income £16,895.00 £1,407.92 £324.90 £64.98 Tax £3,379.00 £281.58 £64.98 £13.00 National Insurance £2,087.40 £173.95 £40.14 £8.03 Student Loan £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 £0.00 Take Home Net Salary £19,533.60 £1,627.80 £375.65 £75.13

Thanks but you are well off, in fact it would be very unwise for me to disclose my income on an open forum.

the whole world buys UK property in their name and look whats happened ,a housing shortage and rampant price inflation and soaring rents so maybe the thais have the right idea .

to accommodate all the people going to the UK from all over the world they would need to build enormous cities all over the country .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anyway to re-cap I apologize to all you tax experts out there regarding my wild approximation, but even 25k GBP in the UK is a meager existence even without a family.

The OP has done his best at trolling. He's an OAP going back to the UK to die but he had to have a dig at Thailand before he packed his bags.

An assumption would be he's a red shirt sympathizer, but that's just my wild guess.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hope he took the trash out when he left.

Oh! we are bitter. But I would agree with you on one thing, £25 grand would be a pittance. As for "having a dig at Thailand" You could not be further from the truth, and look forward to returning next year with the family for our summer holidays.