Non-O based on marriage and permission to work

Hi

Neither myself or my wife are Thai, I hold Non-B visa and work permit and that is more or less permanent.

My wife now has a Non-O based on marriage after she quit her job and thereby lost the Non-B and work permit she had before.

On her Non-O visa it clearly states that employment is not allowed. When I searched through the forums it says everywhere that Non-O based on marriage should in fact allow employment. Does this only apply if the spouse is Thai national?

Second question, slightly related, is once my wife gets onto my 1-year extension schedule (she's still on the first 90 day visa now), I assume she will not have to leave the country every 90 days?

And how does it work with her 1-year extension in the period where my passport is in for my 1-year renewal? I mean I usually get a 1-month extension first while they process the papers and then the actual 1-year extension is issued and is then around 11 month only as I already had a month. Where does my wife fit in in this game? Should I bring her passport with me every time and get her the same extensions that I'm getting?

It is true that the non-O visa does not allow employment, but your wife is allowed to apply for a work permit and once she gets it, this permit allows her to work.

Don't know about her extension as your dependent with the complication of your own extension.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is true that the non-O visa does not allow employment, but your wife is allowed to apply for a work permit and once she gets it, this permit allows her to work.

Don't know about her extension as your dependent with the complication of your own extension.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So she can apply for work permit on that visa even though it's stated in the remarks "Employment Prohibited"? Like on the image attached (from google search)

Just seems weird to me why it doesn't say this on all non-o visas, and therefore I thought it made a difference.

post-94351-0-85637600-1405687443_thumb.p

She has doesn't have her extension based on being your dependent yet. That might mean that means she can apply for a work permit and get an extension of stay. But she should prepare for the case that she will be told that she must apply abroad for a non-B visa. For that she needs to take paperwork from the labour office and the company to a Thai consulate.

Dependents on extensions are normally told to get a non-B visa abroad.

I have the same problem, I am married to a Thai, I got an O visa from UK and they stamped it 'Employment Prohibited'. I asked them not to stamp it but they (UK Embassy) said I was not allowed to work with an O visa. I was planning on doing some work teaching English, but expect I will have problems getting a work permit with this stamp in my passport, maybe I will wait 3 months and get an extension before I look at working.

I live, and work as a teacher in Bangkok. I have a Non 'O' visa, issued in the UK, with 'Employment Prohibited' stamped on it. I get an extension of stay every year, based on marriage to a Thai citizen.

I had no problems obtaining a work permit, and have held one for the past three years.

My interpretation of the stamp is that it means the visa alone doesn't entitle you to work, you need a separate work permit.

• Like 1

I have the same problem, I am married to a Thai, I got an O visa from UK and they stamped it 'Employment Prohibited'. I asked them not to stamp it but they (UK Embassy) said I was not allowed to work with an O visa. I was planning on doing some work teaching English, but expect I will have problems getting a work permit with this stamp in my passport, maybe I will wait 3 months and get an extension before I look at working.

Per above answer, the stamp more or less means that the visa doesn't allow you to work only a work permit allows that.

On a non-O visa and extensions based on marriage to a Thai national a work permit is routinely issued. You will not have any problems.