Mobile Phone Contracts?

burnalot

I think if you want postpaid they probably want proof of residency or the like (maybe a guarantor even). If you have a 12 month visa you may be able to get a 12 month contract, but as an expat you might have to lodge a large deposit or something.

Is there a specific reason why you can't use prepaid?

Edited by Chicog

Most people here--I'd say probably 90+%--have cell phones that require topping up, paying as you go. Not knowing your anticipated usage, but just speaking for myself, the calls I make are just for quick information or to give details about one thing or another. I don't talk for long periods of time, unlike how I used to use my phone back in the States. For me, this amounts to just pennies a month.

But using internet access as well as lots of texting would certainly increase the cost of your phone service.

• Like 1

I've only ever used pay as you earn phones, never has a problem and very easy to top up. Is there an advantage to having a contract that I am unaware of ?

SDM

As the Original Poster currently lives outside of Thailand, perhaps he or she is accustomed to having a contract with a phone service company. And, paying as you go is much more expensive there than here.

• Like 1

Years ago you could only get a post paid mobile account with a work permit, but seems to have changed now. If you have a residence certificate and yearly visa, this should suffice. The only real benefits from having an account is that it can be direct debited from your bank, and you also have a great choice of the providers promotional packages.

correct about the high cost of phone use in such places as Oz. It is really terrible.

However, having a contract saves you lots.

Not so in Thailand. Just go to one of the shops,say at the lower level of Kad Saun Keow, and join up. You can top it up at 7-11 or on-line thru your bank.

Never had a Top Up phone in 11 years here, always had contract.. present contract 199 baht per month with 100 free mins...

Hutch was just great 78 baht a month, very rarely went over 100 baht + had a Samsung flip phone for 990 baht from them [non customer was 3,xxx baht] sadly TRUE bought them and there network was very bad but did give a good phone thankfully contract was only for 6 months..

depends on what you want... phone ? or internet, cam and so on... Depends on area some places not a good signal..a phone is not a lot of good if you cannot get a signal where you live me = True would not work in the house with some package called 'H' 3G....

No idea about anything Pay as you Go.

I've only ever used pay as you earn phones, never has a problem and very easy to top up. Is there an advantage to having a contract that I am unaware of ?

SDM

As the Original Poster currently lives outside of Thailand, perhaps he or she is accustomed to having a contract with a phone service company. And, paying as you go is much more expensive there than here.

I always wonder if I am paying too much, in have two 'phones, a BBZ10 and Galaxy Win. On the BB I have a monthly 3G unlimited internet package for 799 plus VAT and because my internet use in the Galaxy is very light, just LINE and what if, plus a couple of non-streaming others I have a 500MB limited 3G package for 249 a month.

Anyone got similar services on contract ? Just wondered about cost.

I top on via Internet banking so don't have to get a voucher from 7 or similar.

My main number I have had for about 15 years, well before I moved here full time.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

i wanted a contract as i was tired of 7/11 runs and wanted a data plan included, it was only available if i had a work permit, simple solution was to put it in your girlfriends name and then select a plan, i took a 100 mins talk time with unlimited internet at a cost of 299 baht per month, but was then told it was half price for the first 12 months so it was 150 baht per month, very happy with it all so far

i wanted a contract as i was tired of 7/11 runs and wanted a data plan included, it was only available if i had a work permit, simple solution was to put it in your girlfriends name and then select a plan, i took a 100 mins talk time with unlimited internet at a cost of 299 baht per month, but was then told it was half price for the first 12 months so it was 150 baht per month, very happy with it all so far

I use 12GO (pay as you go) and never do 7/11 runs, just do a top up via Internet banking (can also do at ATM) and for the data plans just call 1175 and tell them what I want. Never been asked for a walk permit, I guess you would be added for a contract though.

SDM

20 satang per minute - 12-Call (pay as you use). Each 50 Baht top-up good for the usage of that amount in minutes or 3 months, whichever comes first. REALLY cheap.

You have to ask for the "special" or otherwise they sell you the regular cost one - - but available (almost) everywhere.

Never had a Top Up phone in 11 years here, always had contract.. present contract 199 baht per month with 100 free mins...

DTAC charge 1bht/min on PAYG, so your contract costs you double the top-up rate.

Not to mention your unused contract minutes don't disappear at the end of the month on PAYG.

100bht on PAYG lasts me 2-3 months.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I have Truemove H prepaid sim... I have an automatic reoccurring monthly plan for 199 baht that gives me 1GB data... Calls are 1.5 baht a minute or 3 baht a minute to call the US... I top it up with 1,000 baht and every 3-4 months... Prepaid is cheap and convienent....

Edited by sfokevin

I have a dual sim phone, in one slot a TOT sim, 49 satang/minute, 49 satang/MB. In the other, a 12Call sim, 99satang/minute. TOT coverage is poor, but works wiothin Chiang Mai and their rates are fantastic. 12call I use for incoming calls and when I'm out of the city.

Contract sims are no cheaper.

• Like 1

Unless you make huge amounts of calls, there is not much difference between Pay As you Go and Post paid.

You can buy a data package for 800 Baht a month on pay as you go, but the same 800 baht on Post paid would earn you a package where you get like 500 minutes of calls for free.

As a foreigner you would usually need at least a work permit to get post paid service, although this is not a hard and fast rule.. I know of some foreigners getting contract phones phones without but based on say 10 years of high volume pre-paid activity on the account.

i've overheard the reps at True, DTAC tell farangs that they can only get a monthly account with them if 1) you are Thai; 2) are a foreigner with a work permit. one time a Thai friend asked at dtac when a Malaysian business associate was here on business for a few months and she was told the same. that would make sense since foreigners could rack up a large bill and skip out. same in Europe.

I pay as I go.1baht 1 minute and they are good for a year. I use AIS. Buy the top up any 7/11 or I believe you can do a direct payment out of your bank account.

I never worry about it. I just go in to 7/11 and get 300 baht at a time. Lasts for 300 minutes. Also it doesn't cost me any thing if you call me. I have a friend with some sort of deal and it cost him 2 baht a minute when I call him. Or so he says.

If you are looking for a smart phone where you really don't need a computer it will do it all for you then you may be better off with a contract. Best to figure out how much you are going to use it and base your decision on that.

One poster said he paid 800 baht a month and got 500 free minutes. I wonder what the ones over 500 were.

As I say figure out what you want it for first then start looking around.