Removing steam from the shower room

Hi

My condo shower room has no outside window, so it quickly gets hot & steamy in there.

I'm thinking of installing a vent to push the steam outside, but where should it be directed to?

The layout of the condo is as follows:

wb9sw0.png

Option 1: direct the steam back into the condo(kitchen area/living area): this seems like a bad option

Option 2: ask the builder to install a pipe to the outside cavity which houses the water & electricity meters. possibly lots of dusts or insects entering?

Option 3: run a pipe from shower room above the ceiling in the living room to the balcony. that's probably 4m in length. not sure if the vent will be effective in pushing the hot air all that way.

Would appreciate suggestions what's the best solution.

Cheers

I find just opening the shower door far better than the fan I have installed in the room, plus its noisy

If the mirror gets steamed up while shaving the quickest and cheapest solution is to rub some shaving foam all over the mirror and wipe it off with a cloth or some paper.

No more steamed up mirror even if you leave the door closed and the hot shower running.

You should be able to buy flexible ducting 4-6 inch diameter that you can run to the outside, and attach a ceiling extractor fan. I would imagine the shortest route you can run it to exterior of you apartment would be the best. Maybe try Homepro

This should give you an idea of what I mean: http://www.screwfix.com/c/ventilation/extractor-fans-bathrooms/cat840654

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extraction-Fan-Duct-Flexible-Ventilation-Ducting-Pipe-Hose-Bathroom-Kitchen-/130585507921

I find just opening the shower door far better than the fan I have installed in the room, plus its noisy

If the mirror gets steamed up while shaving the quickest and cheapest solution is to rub some shaving foam all over the mirror and wipe it off with a cloth or some paper.

No more steamed up mirror even if you leave the door closed and the hot shower running.

I can't afford shaving foam - would soap work just as well?

For the last 34-years in my condo I've used a ceiling extraction fan which blows the air into the void space above the ceiling.

Ideally, better get one with a timer with it, so it keeps going for a while after the bathroom light is turned off.

Obviously not ideal, but it works and relatively cheap to do.

Whichever option you take don't run the conduit too far and make sure the outlet on both ends is insect proof as suggested by a previous poster.

Condensation will occur inside and could pool if a long run. This may promote growth of algae or moss which may not be good for your health or block the outlet altogether.

Your drawing is pretty simple, so I'm unsure of why you would need a duct or pipe going to the outside cavity. In my case, I "simply" cut a hole in the outside wall and installed a "bathroom extractor fan," connecting it to the light switch. The fan goes on/off with the light. The fan also opens and closes. Air pressure when its turned on opens slats on the back. Turn it off, and the slats close.

My particular fan was made by Hatari. I think it was maybe 1,000 Baht or so at GlobalHouse, but I'm sure HomePro would have them, too. Stop by such a place and have a look.

I said that I "simply" cut a hole in the outside wall. That was "simple" only in comparison to running pipes and such, I guess. The wall was made of cement over brick, and so a contractor did the work of making the hole, then making it square, and then installing the fan into the hole.

Note also that the fan will need to draw air from somewhere, so shortening the door as someone mentioned above might be a good idea.

Found the fan I have on a Big-C webpage for 798 Baht, here: http://shoppingonline.bigc.co.th/it-electronics/home-electronics-appliances/small-househould-appliances/hatari-vent-fan-8-hf-vw20m4-g.html?___store=default&___from_store=mainstore_thai

Edited by RedQualia

Liquid soap or shampoo work as well.

I have an exhaust fan in the bathroom, but also the bathroom door has louvered slats that permits airflow. Since I stay in an upper floor condo that gets a fairly continuous breeze off the Gulf, I seldom use the air conditioner, so when I take a shower it's usually with the aim of cooling off a bit and I don't produce a lot of steam from boiling hot water and fogged-up mirrors isn't a major issue most of the time.

Edited by Suradit69

Vent directly to outside with insect screens.

Open all doors a little for airflow.

Direct fan air flow away from electric meter. Install ventilation louver grill on bottom half of bathroom door.

• Like 1

Install ventilation fan duct away from electric boxes. Install a louver grill on the bottom half of your bathroom door. This will allow air circulation and remove noxious odors from your bathroom space.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Easier.............................use cold water.................QED !

Your floor layout looks like my 1-bedroom unit in Waterford, except my unit has a separated bedroom between the bathroom and the balcony.

I got my contractor to install a vent duct above the ceiling of the bedroom and vent out into the balcony. The duct runs along the corner edge and has a rebate drop enclosed by gypsum board.

A ceiling exhaust fan extract air into the vent duct. Bathroom door has a small louver panel allowing air flow to work with the exhaust fan.

Without trying to sound trite, why not shower with cool water - thus saving money all around? whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Sounding trite without much effort, why not hunt and gather your own foods--thus saving money all around? I would imagine he likes a hot shower, and maybe he leaves his a/c on so he gets too cold if he doesn't have a hot shower.